OT: The Sterling Brown situation
Author Thread
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

6/7/2018  5:53 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:I reject the idea that you have to be "well qualified" to have basic decency or professionalism. A cop out (pun intended). The problem is racism it's not overwork. Unless you are arguing job related stress makes people racist or leads to racist outcomes? In which case I would be curious to know she you think one has any relevance on the other?

prejudices exist. they lead to fear. fears tend to come out in stressful situations, ultimately leading to bad actions. dont know if you saw where i said they absolutely fail on gender and race bias, although an initial exam may show "pass".

also it's a written exam as opposed to action-based exams, whereas in the field...it's all action and very little writing.

I don't disagree that the testing needs to be a lot more stringent in the filtering for future cops.
But I disagree with the rest of the narrative. A car parked in a empty Walgreens parking lot is NOT a stressful situation that leads to fear. It's a situation that could have bein handled a hundred different ways but the cops involved chose to escalate it into a racial altercation. What this type of narrative does, is it makes a soft landing for what is essentially a hate crime being perpetrated by the police. I am NOT saying that's what you were trying to do, just that it often has that consequence.

A car parked in an empty Walgreens lot on its own is not stressful. But we dont know what the rest of their day was like. I am not excusing their behavior. They signed up to become cops, where's the pride in trying to do the right thing.

My point is that being human and lack of regulation/testing trumps all other factors into what happens every day by law enforcement in America.

another food for thought...easy access to guns by general public in my opinion plays a role as well in why cops are so often taking unwarranted action.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

6/7/2018  7:23 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:I reject the idea that you have to be "well qualified" to have basic decency or professionalism. A cop out (pun intended). The problem is racism it's not overwork. Unless you are arguing job related stress makes people racist or leads to racist outcomes? In which case I would be curious to know she you think one has any relevance on the other?

prejudices exist. they lead to fear. fears tend to come out in stressful situations, ultimately leading to bad actions. dont know if you saw where i said they absolutely fail on gender and race bias, although an initial exam may show "pass".

also it's a written exam as opposed to action-based exams, whereas in the field...it's all action and very little writing.

I don't disagree that the testing needs to be a lot more stringent in the filtering for future cops.
But I disagree with the rest of the narrative. A car parked in a empty Walgreens parking lot is NOT a stressful situation that leads to fear. It's a situation that could have bein handled a hundred different ways but the cops involved chose to escalate it into a racial altercation. What this type of narrative does, is it makes a soft landing for what is essentially a hate crime being perpetrated by the police. I am NOT saying that's what you were trying to do, just that it often has that consequence.

A car parked in an empty Walgreens lot on its own is not stressful. But we dont know what the rest of their day was like. I am not excusing their behavior. They signed up to become cops, where's the pride in trying to do the right thing.

My point is that being human and lack of regulation/testing trumps all other factors into what happens every day by law enforcement in America.

another food for thought...easy access to guns by general public in my opinion plays a role as well in why cops are so often taking unwarranted action.

Fair enough. In my opinion RACISM is the main reason and has separated itself way ahead of anything else. For some of these jerks, being human is debatable.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
OT: The Sterling Brown situation

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy