Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
5/31/2018  6:08 PM
fwk00 wrote:
VCoug wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:I am not high or low on Mills and Perry. In fact what they do now will determine to large extent how I feel about them. But they seem to have made very questionable free agent signings given their "focus on defense". The two things don't line up - so if they are just talking up defense to then choose the likes if Trae Young I will be pissed. But if they do choose a two way player with solid defensive instincts I will applaud them. The jury is out.
I am not sure where this is coming from in regards to Scott Perry. Perry signed two vets to one year league mini deals (Jack and Bease) and two young guys to league mini deals with a team option in Burke and Williams. Three of those guys were very much a part of the Knicks team and were needed. What young players or vets were out there for that money that would have produced more? Those four signings cost the Knicks under 4 mil. Not sure what people's expectations were but I would love to see a list of 4 two way players that were available for that amount of money that Perry missed out on. Also, Williams and Burke appear to be a part of the Knick's future.

One of the stupid loops that we can't seem to bury is this idea that getting mere serviceable players in trade and as signings is a good thing.It can be under the right circumstances but there's an opportunity cost involved in being stingy and conservative.

Where Perry failed in my book is in not trading Lee, Thomas, Kanter, and a few others to get players who might be risky but have upside or to get additional picks. Why did we keep these guys?

Honestly.

Ainge takes chances. Smart was a risk - a talented player with a bad reputation. Maybe Mudiay becomes that for Perry.

Morris is another example. This year's Boston team had only six returning veterans from the team before AND reinvented itself on the fly. You can 'like' Perry based on nonsense but he needs to start delivering this summer.

I'm still on the wait and see train with Perry and have no idea why so many Knicks fans are already enamored with him but this isn't fair. Courtney Lee and KOQ should have been traded but I have no idea why you'd think there's any market for Lance Thomas or Enes Kanter.

I have no idea what kind of market there was for these players. My fear is that we played hardball and got nada. Many of our guys (and the beginning of our last season supports this) are fine complementary players and would be for contending teams needing to fill out their rosters.
Why we were not strictly playing youth is on the FO. Coaches are obligated to give vets minutes as a common courtesy.

Silly to have hung onto them instead of getting some extra second-rounders or a kid washout needing a change of scenery.

You can figure out the market if you look back at the deadline deals. The only guy close to Lee's age that has a big contract that was moved was George Hill. Lee is probably the only tradeable commodity of the group that you named and his age/money owed makes him pretty hard to move. KOQ probably opts out which weakens the market for him and I don't think there is any market for the other players with their current contracts.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758318-nba-trade-deadline-2018-grading-every-trade#slide16
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
5/31/2018  6:50 PM
For me the jury's still out on Perry. This draft will tell a lot. Mills is terrible, but as long as Dolan's the owner, we'll never get rid of him. Fiz is a wild card. I'm sure he gets consulted on draft picks and trades. I have no idea what to expect from that.
Please Bring Phil Back to Make Our Draft Picks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy