[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Please Bring Phil Back to Make Our Draft Picks
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
5/24/2018  7:01 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:I am not high or low on Mills and Perry. In fact what they do now will determine to large extent how I feel about them. But they seem to have made very questionable free agent signings given their "focus on defense". The two things don't line up - so if they are just talking up defense to then choose the likes if Trae Young I will be pissed. But if they do choose a two way player with solid defensive instincts I will applaud them. The jury is out.
I am not sure where this is coming from in regards to Scott Perry. Perry signed two vets to one year league mini deals (Jack and Bease) and two young guys to league mini deals with a team option in Burke and Williams. Three of those guys were very much a part of the Knicks team and were needed. What young players or vets were out there for that money that would have produced more? Those four signings cost the Knicks under 4 mil. Not sure what people's expectations were but I would love to see a list of 4 two way players that were available for that amount of money that Perry missed out on. Also, Williams and Burke appear to be a part of the Knick's future.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/24/2018  7:12 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Thanks for posting this...The extensive coach search should have informed the phil fanboys that Perry is on point....Can't believe they want the guy that was falling asleep at pre-draft camp in charge of our draft process...

JesseDark
Member: #467
5/24/2018  7:14 PM
franco12 wrote:if we're bringing anyone back, let's have it be isiah thomas. Every time I see Trevor playing still, I think back to Larry Brown!

Not to mention that David Lee and Channing Frye both have rings too. Zeke knew had to pick talent, the only blemish I see on his picks is picking Renaldo Balkman when Rajo Rondo was the next selection.

Bring back dee-fense
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/24/2018  7:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2018  7:15 PM
reub wrote:Isn't Phil still under contract? Can he be asked for his input on our upcoming draft?
He chose KP while most people booed, wanting Mudiay or Stanley Johnson, and with his only other #1 pick he selected Frank, who is already one of the best defensive players in the league (at age 19).
Please come back for the draft Phil! And bring Clarence Gaines with you.

KP was the obvious pick at 4...the few people who boo'd were idiots and represent the lowest common denominator of Knick fans...The jury is still out on Frank, hopefully he pans out. Lets not forget that Jerian Grant draft day trade by Phil. That turned out to be a disaster...

fwk00
Member: #6048

5/24/2018  7:21 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:I am not high or low on Mills and Perry. In fact what they do now will determine to large extent how I feel about them. But they seem to have made very questionable free agent signings given their "focus on defense". The two things don't line up - so if they are just talking up defense to then choose the likes if Trae Young I will be pissed. But if they do choose a two way player with solid defensive instincts I will applaud them. The jury is out.
I am not sure where this is coming from in regards to Scott Perry. Perry signed two vets to one year league mini deals (Jack and Bease) and two young guys to league mini deals with a team option in Burke and Williams. Three of those guys were very much a part of the Knicks team and were needed. What young players or vets were out there for that money that would have produced more? Those four signings cost the Knicks under 4 mil. Not sure what people's expectations were but I would love to see a list of 4 two way players that were available for that amount of money that Perry missed out on. Also, Williams and Burke appear to be a part of the Knick's future.

One of the stupid loops that we can't seem to bury is this idea that getting mere serviceable players in trade and as signings is a good thing.It can be under the right circumstances but there's an opportunity cost involved in being stingy and conservative.

Where Perry failed in my book is in not trading Lee, Thomas, Kanter, and a few others to get players who might be risky but have upside or to get additional picks. Why did we keep these guys?

Honestly.

Ainge takes chances. Smart was a risk - a talented player with a bad reputation. Maybe Mudiay becomes that for Perry.

Morris is another example. This year's Boston team had only six returning veterans from the team before AND reinvented itself on the fly. You can 'like' Perry based on nonsense but he needs to start delivering this summer.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/24/2018  7:24 PM
Uptown wrote:
reub wrote:Isn't Phil still under contract? Can he be asked for his input on our upcoming draft?
He chose KP while most people booed, wanting Mudiay or Stanley Johnson, and with his only other #1 pick he selected Frank, who is already one of the best defensive players in the league (at age 19).
Please come back for the draft Phil! And bring Clarence Gaines with you.

KP was the obvious pick at 4...the few people who boo'd were idiots and represent the lowest common denominator of Knick fans...The jury is still out on Frank, hopefully he pans out. Lets not forget that Jerian Grant draft day trade by Phil. That turned out to be a disaster...

Jerian did have a solid season for Chicago. Looks like he'll be a good rotation player. The disaster came from throwing a rookie to the wolves to play a system he wasn't suited for.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
5/24/2018  7:35 PM
fwk00 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

One of the stupid loops that we can't seem to bury is this idea that getting mere serviceable players in trade and as signings is a good thing.It can be under the right circumstances but there's an opportunity cost involved in being stingy and conservative.

Where Perry failed in my book is in not trading Lee, Thomas, Kanter, and a few others to get players who might be risky but have upside or to get additional picks. Why did we keep these guys?

Honestly.

Ainge takes chances. Smart was a risk - a talented player with a bad reputation. Maybe Mudiay becomes that for Perry.

Morris is another example. This year's Boston team had only six returning veterans from the team before AND reinvented itself on the fly. You can 'like' Perry based on nonsense but he needs to start delivering this summer.

There were no trades out there. Thomas has an untradeable deal (see Phil Jackson free agent contract mistakes). There were no trades out there for Lee. This was covered extensively at the deadline. Lee's deal isn't as horrendous as the others but his age and contract make him virtually untradeable. Kanter was acquired in part to get rid of the worst contract in sports (see Phil Jackson free agent contract mistakes). You were hoping Perry could fix all of Phil's mistakes? Moving Melo with his deal was a huge coup for him.
Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

5/24/2018  8:34 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Chandler wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
franco12 wrote:
fishmike wrote:this is another measuring stick for this FO. If they just play it safe and take a skilled 2 way prospect that is as close to BPA as they can get we are fine. Lets see what happens if they try to get cute or make moves or just play it straight.

I have confidence in Perry- he seems like a smart guy that isn't going to overthink things. Hopefully he and Mills have a realistic view of our timeline and when we might actually be competitive which isn't this upcoming season.

I have no confidence in Perry at all and definitely not Mills after going out and throwing that crazy huge contract at Timmy as soon as Phil was gone and Perry has never been a GM and made draft picks or done free agency so i'm nervous as hell hoping he gets it right.

As a fan I am hoping he nails it!

As a rationale human being (or at least I like to think I am) I am in this exact boat -- just not feeling the FO; they say one thing (two way players defense etc) and do another (Kanter [who I like but...], McBuckets, Beas, Mudiay, Burke

Kanter, Mc D., and the 36th pick for a guy with a ntc, 15 mil trade kicker, owed 57 mil for two years was a pretty good return in my opinion. Much better than the buyout or Ryan Anderson package. Were you really expecting young, two way impact players in that deal? I thought the front office did pretty well. Burke and Williams were free agent signings on minimal contracts. Williams does fit the two way description but probably maxes out as a rotation player. Beas was a bargain and teams do need scoring. I also thought the Jack signing was smart. I think with the money available and what they moved out, that they did pretty well.

Thank you. This is a accurate and thorough sum up of the FO's actions this season. A lot of jaded fans. It must be the playoff lull

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

5/24/2018  9:04 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Nice try to deflect blame I said MILLS and PERRY (Not just Perry)

They signed Beasley and Jack? And did Tim Haraway Jr sign himself? Or was he getting such a pittance that we couldn't have signed anybody else for it? A real two way player who can't shoot and doesn't play defense, how can you not like that? And yeah I'll ask to get my name changed to Burkeshouldgo or maybe BuckFurke? You'll like that won't you?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
USA
5/24/2018  9:44 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

They signed Beasley and Jack? And did Tim Haraway Jr sign himself? Or was he getting such a pittance that we couldn't have signed anybody else for it? A real two way player who can't shoot and doesn't play defense, how can you not like that? And yeah I'll ask to get my name changed to Burkeshouldgo or maybe BuckFurke? You'll like that won't you?

I left Perry out of the blame because what you said is inaccurate about him. He didn't sign Tim. Bease was signed to a 1 yr league minimum deal. You have issues with that? Thanks for letting me know your next name so I can avoid the @ssfest the next time you leave and come back. Also, noticed there are no league minimum two way players named that the Knicks missed the boat on because they used a roster spot on Bease.
reub
Member: #6227

5/24/2018  9:59 PM
Hardaway was a terrible signing and that falls on Mills.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

5/27/2018  8:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/27/2018  8:23 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I left Perry out of the blame because what you said is inaccurate about him. He didn't sign Tim. Bease was signed to a 1 yr league minimum deal. You have issues with that? Thanks for letting me know your next name so I can avoid the @ssfest the next time you leave and come back. Also, noticed here are no league minimum two way players named that the Knicks missed the boat on because they used a roster spot on Bease.

I made a comment about the FO not signing two way players you tried your best to make it about Beasly. I don't know how to look up free agent availability in the past but I do think at any point they can give a contract to a two way prospect from the G- league, if they were sincere about it.
- Not sure how someone who had his face firmly planted in Melo's @ss for six straight years would miss a @ssfest. I mean let's be honest here, you WERE the @ssfest.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
VCoug
Member: #1406

5/27/2018  9:37 AM
fwk00 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Honestly.

I'm still on the wait and see train with Perry and have no idea why so many Knicks fans are already enamored with him but this isn't fair. Courtney Lee and KOQ should have been traded but I have no idea why you'd think there's any market for Lance Thomas or Enes Kanter.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
fwk00
Member: #6048

5/27/2018  4:52 PM
VCoug wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Honestly.

I'm still on the wait and see train with Perry and have no idea why so many Knicks fans are already enamored with him but this isn't fair. Courtney Lee and KOQ should have been traded but I have no idea why you'd think there's any market for Lance Thomas or Enes Kanter.

I have no idea what kind of market there was for these players. My fear is that we played hardball and got nada. Many of our guys (and the beginning of our last season supports this) are fine complementary players and would be for contending teams needing to fill out their rosters.
Why we were not strictly playing youth is on the FO. Coaches are obligated to give vets minutes as a common courtesy.

Silly to have hung onto them instead of getting some extra second-rounders or a kid washout needing a change of scenery.

CrushAlot
USA
5/27/2018  11:22 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I left Perry out of the blame because what you said is inaccurate about him. He didn't sign Tim. Bease was signed to a 1 yr league minimum deal. You have issues with that? Thanks for letting me know your next name so I can avoid the @ssfest the next time you leave and come back. Also, noticed here are no league minimum two way players named that the Knicks missed the boat on because they used a roster spot on Bease.

I made a comment about the FO not signing two way players you tried your best to make it about Beasly. I don't know how to look up free agent availability in the past but I do think at any point they can give a contract to a two way prospect from the G- league, if they were sincere about it.
- Not sure how someone who had his face firmly planted in Melo's @ss for six straight years would miss a @ssfest. I mean let's be honest here, you WERE the @ssfest.

Okay. Thought we were discussing Perry's moves as you said Mills/Perry and I clarified I was talking about Perry. Who is the g league two way player they missed out on during on Perry's tenure when they gave out league minis to Bease, Jack, Burke and Williams? If there isn't an answer, just let me no that new user name when the time comes. Six years ago was a fun time on the forum. How the hell is Playa?
dwiley20
Member: #5755

5/28/2018  10:38 PM
you mean bring back Isiah Thomas to make some Draft picks he has the eye for talent
MS
Member: #724
5/29/2018  10:45 AM
Zeke also traded two lottery picks for Eddy Curry and took on massive salaries for Nate Robinson and David Lee. I am not going to give him Frye, because he passed on Granger and Bynum both were talked about extensively. He made nice selection with Chandler and Ariza so certainly credit there.

Not having a point guard and taking Balkman over Rondo and Lowry was unforgivable especially since the guy wasn't even in the draft booklet.

This team needs to go safe and draft size at the SF. We don't need a 6'2 guard who doesn't defend. Burke is Trey young already. Let's build the defense and continue to add character. You have Hardaway a medicore defender, Bridges and Frank give us real size and defense. Something that's going to be needed going forward to defend top 3's in the league.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/29/2018  11:05 PM
Phil let Gaines do his thing Doesnt have the pull he used to with mgmt, but still is a good scout. If Perry/Mills didnt value his opinion, Gaines wouldnt still be here in some capacity.

The guy who found those picks is still here, and Phil isnt. Sounds good to me.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/31/2018  2:04 PM
JesseDark wrote:
franco12 wrote:if we're bringing anyone back, let's have it be isiah thomas. Every time I see Trevor playing still, I think back to Larry Brown!

Not to mention that David Lee and Channing Frye both have rings too. Zeke knew had to pick talent, the only blemish I see on his picks is picking Renaldo Balkman when Rajo Rondo was the next selection.

Now take what you know about that moment and think of Rondo who fell for reasons relating to his personality and think of a young Rondo with out Pierce and Garnett and on a knick shyt show team and the story is far different. Rondo's talent was never in questions, it was his particular mindset.
Balkman had a pretty good rookie year, it just all fell apart for knicks and him. Rondo is a bit of a puzzle.
Might Rondo have succeeded in NY? Maybe. Not like Boston though. That was special for him and the Celtics.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/31/2018  2:25 PM
fwk00 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Honestly.

Danny Ainge on May 9th just celebrated his 15th year as GM for the Celtics.
If Danny Ainge called the knicks to make a trade proposal Scott Layden would have picked the phone up.
Your saying that Perry got to get his shyt together ASAP or else?
Knick GM's have been wiping the mess of its predecessors for years.
George W. Bush in his First Term as president.
Ainge rebuild on the fly but had years of asset accumulation and enrichment to work with. He has done a masterful job. Knicks squander picks and blow money on starphuchs and you wonder why they are chasing their tail?

Please Bring Phil Back to Make Our Draft Picks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy