[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Trade up to #2 pick
Author Thread
kingofelpaso
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2542

5/23/2018  11:46 AM
I know it will be an unpopular idea now that we finally have all our picks back, but I feel that Luka is about a sure thing as you can find in the draft. His winning pedigree is proof enough for me at this point that his success will carry over into the NBA. On that note, if he slips to the 2nd pick, would offer the Kings a pick swap with our 9th pick this year and next year’s pick with minimal protection (top 1, maybe) for the 2nd pick to take Luka. That would give us Luka, Frank, Trey, Dotson, and pick 36 to develop in 18-19 with no reason to tank. It’s no secret that KP respects the hell out of Luka after they faced off against one another in Eurobasket last summer. I feel that the opportunity to play with Luka would go a long way towards keeping KP in New York long term. Plus, Luka’s ability to create seems like it would be perfect to unlock the best out of KP. We’d be bad for next season with only development to show for it, but I think its worth it to secure a second star to run with KP. Then once Noah comes off the books in 2020, we’d have the ability to use that cap space to add a 3rd big piece to play with Luka and KP. At that point, playing with the 2 of them in NY should be attractive enough to grab a major free agent to set up long term winning. I think that Kings would agree to this because they don’t have their own pick next year and they know that with KP out for the majority of next year, that we’ll be bad enough to secure them a high level pick. This draft is deep enough that they could still get a quality young player at 9 and then have our high pick next year. Luka would be a sensation in NY.
AUTOADVERT
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/23/2018  11:50 AM
I love Luka... all year I've said he's the best player in the draft. That said, I don't like the idea of trading away future picks. I'd consider something like Frank and a swap of this year's pick though
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/23/2018  11:51 AM
I could get behind this...next year's class is wing dominant, anyway. The only thing that would make me hesitate is that we need a big. But the big man classis expected to be weak next year anyway. But looking at the Philly/Boston trade from last year...I'm not sure that package is enough to move up.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

5/23/2018  11:52 AM
Good idea in theory actually but u know if the player pucked st nine shines and luka's weaknesses are brought about by the NBA. Many will have a field day. Press and us here
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
5/23/2018  11:54 AM
While I like Frank and don't think we should try to move up... if you really think Luka is the real deal then we should offer Frank and this year's 9 pick. Don't want to give up a future possible top 5 pick and if Luka runs the point as a guard or forward - that leaves Frank probably as a first guard off bench type.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/23/2018  12:03 PM
jskinny35 wrote:While I like Frank and don't think we should try to move up... if you really think Luka is the real deal then we should offer Frank and this year's 9 pick. Don't want to give up a future possible top 5 pick and if Luka runs the point as a guard or forward - that leaves Frank probably as a first guard off bench type.

Not really. Luka will probably end guarding 3s on defense. He's more of a point forward. You still need a secondary ball handler and defender at the guard spot.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
kingofelpaso

5/23/2018  12:05 PM
Way I see it, Luka fits great with Frank too. This would give Frank the ability to play off-ball more and focus on being a lock down defender and spot up shooter. Keeping him also allows for more of the “positionless” style that has been mentioned by Fizdale. If you look at all the best teams, they all have multiple guys who can initiate plays and bring the ball up.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/23/2018  12:06 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:While I like Frank and don't think we should try to move up... if you really think Luka is the real deal then we should offer Frank and this year's 9 pick. Don't want to give up a future possible top 5 pick and if Luka runs the point as a guard or forward - that leaves Frank probably as a first guard off bench type.

Not really. Luka will probably end guarding 3s on defense. He's more of a point forward. You still need a secondary ball handler and defender at the guard spot.
I would rather trade the future #1 than Frank. We already know Frank can play elite level defense. That is a building block skill. I highly doubt anyone trades down in this draft... but we will see.

With no KP for most of next year Knicks pick should be valued. I dont think its enough to get us to #2, but I would try for sure.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Chandler
Member: #6197

5/23/2018  12:20 PM

There is something about Luka that reminds me of the Ricky Rubio hype way back when (i.e., second coming of Steve Nash or whatever)

He might be great but I won't be surprised if he's more Goran Dragic or Mario Hezonja.

(5)(5)
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/23/2018  12:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/23/2018  12:26 PM
Considering next year's class is weaker, yes i would do that deal. #9 and next year's pick (with #1 overall protection) is reasonable to move up and grab Doncic, who would be a great investment on this team alongside KP and Frank.
Ira
Member: #91
5/23/2018  12:28 PM
Two things.
1) I'd be very surprised if we were able to trade up to #2 without KP being a part of that trade.
2) If we were somehow able to do that, Doncic wouldn't be my target. I rate Ayton, Bagley and Jackson ahead of him.
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
5/23/2018  12:32 PM
Chandler wrote:
There is something about Luka that reminds me of the Ricky Rubio hype way back when (i.e., second coming of Steve Nash or whatever)

He might be great but I won't be surprised if he's more Goran Dragic or Mario Hezonja.

he doesn't play like those guys at all.

Chandler
Member: #6197

5/23/2018  12:37 PM
anrst wrote:
Chandler wrote:

he doesn't play like those guys at all.

I meant more by way of impact than style of play. I could be (and often am) totally wrong, but this seems like a movie I/we've seen many times before

He could be like KP surpassing expectations, or he could be Toni Kukoc who didn't suck but somehow everyone seemed to expect more

(5)(5)
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/23/2018  12:39 PM
Ira wrote:Two things.
1) I'd be very surprised if we were able to trade up to #2 without KP being a part of that trade.
2) If we were somehow able to do that, Doncic wouldn't be my target. I rate Ayton, Bagley and Jackson ahead of him.

those guys might end up being better but Doncic is ahead of them right now. Doncic is playing with pro men and is one of of the best players on the floor. All those guy's have question marks vs. NCAA competition. Doncic is going to have a huge immediate impact and be front runner for ROY assuming he's healthy
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
elmaestro33
Member: #8622

5/23/2018  1:24 PM
I couldn't stomach a trade like this. With KP going to miss most of the upcoming season, we're looking at a top 3 pick in next year's draft. What's the rush? Let's pick at 9 this year and take our tank pick (hopefully top 3) next year. Every year people are saying that one class is going to be stronger than another, so I don't buy that next year is going to be weaker than this year.

It just sucks because if we had tanked properly this season, we'd have a top 3 pick this year instead of people talking about trading our 1st rounder and next year's first rounder for that same top 3 pick.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/23/2018  1:30 PM
elmaestro33 wrote:I couldn't stomach a trade like this. With KP going to miss most of the upcoming season, we're looking at a top 3 pick in next year's draft. What's the rush? Let's pick at 9 this year and take our tank pick (hopefully top 3) next year. Every year people are saying that one class is going to be stronger than another, so I don't buy that next year is going to be weaker than this year.

It just sucks because if we had tanked properly this season, we'd have a top 3 pick this year instead of people talking about trading our 1st rounder and next year's first rounder for that same top 3 pick.

Wait, when didn't they?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

5/23/2018  1:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/23/2018  1:34 PM
kingofelpaso wrote:I know it will be an unpopular idea now that we finally have all our picks back, but I feel that Luka is about a sure thing as you can find in the draft. His winning pedigree is proof enough for me at this point that his success will carry over into the NBA. On that note, if he slips to the 2nd pick, would offer the Kings a pick swap with our 9th pick this year and next year’s pick with minimal protection (top 1, maybe) for the 2nd pick to take Luka. That would give us Luka, Frank, Trey, Dotson, and pick 36 to develop in 18-19 with no reason to tank. It’s no secret that KP respects the hell out of Luka after they faced off against one another in Eurobasket last summer. I feel that the opportunity to play with Luka would go a long way towards keeping KP in New York long term. Plus, Luka’s ability to create seems like it would be perfect to unlock the best out of KP. We’d be bad for next season with only development to show for it, but I think its worth it to secure a second star to run with KP. Then once Noah comes off the books in 2020, we’d have the ability to use that cap space to add a 3rd big piece to play with Luka and KP. At that point, playing with the 2 of them in NY should be attractive enough to grab a major free agent to set up long term winning. I think that Kings would agree to this because they don’t have their own pick next year and they know that with KP out for the majority of next year, that we’ll be bad enough to secure them a high level pick. This draft is deep enough that they could still get a quality young player at 9 and then have our high pick next year. Luka would be a sensation in NY.

I am a big fan of Luca, I would definitely do this. If there's any way for this to happen we should pursue. Maybe we can take some salary back as well for Lee etc?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
kingofelpaso

5/23/2018  2:15 PM
elmaestro33 wrote:I couldn't stomach a trade like this. With KP going to miss most of the upcoming season, we're looking at a top 3 pick in next year's draft. What's the rush? Let's pick at 9 this year and take our tank pick (hopefully top 3) next year. Every year people are saying that one class is going to be stronger than another, so I don't buy that next year is going to be weaker than this year.

The thing about talking about picks is that they only opportunities to get a good player. A future pick sounds great, but we have no idea where it is going to land, who will be available, and how those players will pan out.

With this scenario, we know who we’re targeting: Luka. There is tons of evidence to support his ability to win against high level competition. If we have the chance to grab him with a trade, giving away our 2019 pick is well worth it. Luka seems pretty close to a sure thing. If I’m wrong, I’ll seem foolish, but I think he’s worth it.

knicks1248
Member: #582
5/23/2018  2:58 PM
martin wrote:

Wait, when didn't they?

Exactly, i think we won 5 games from january to april

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/23/2018  4:11 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:

Wait, when didn't they?

Exactly, i think we won 5 games from january to april

Right, Knicks were 2nd worst behind PHO within that time period, maybe it was Feb when KP went down. They tanked hard.

18-18 Dec 30. 23-31 when KP went down and sliding south fast

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Trade up to #2 pick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy