Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
5/9/2018  9:33 AM
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

5/9/2018  10:09 AM
Either kid is fun to imagine playing for Knicks -- its a tough call but I would go Miles over Mykal for a few reasons.

- younger
- more physical/explosive body better suited to NBA game
- like his potential as a post & iso player given his explosiveness, strength and use of both hands around the rim
- feel like NBA game may open up more of his offense than we witnessed at MSU
- feel like he could potentially grow into 2nd (Robin) scorer to KP --- like that he has scorers mentality
- like that he gets buckets in numerous ways - catch/shoot, pull-up off dribble, driving, back to basket in post, back-cuts...etc

Again -- either kid along with the Zhaire Smith kid (who could really rise late) would be fun to think about (throw Sexton in there as well).

knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
5/9/2018  10:11 AM
Give me the better defender with a higher IQ - Mikal Bridges for me.
Rose is not the answer.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

5/9/2018  10:38 AM
well first of all...great video. If you asked me today, who's better today...

I'd say Miles Bridges. Explosive on offense, NBA ready body and will be able to bang down low and defend in the paint, better handle, ability to create space between himself and defender, sort of like a young Melo on offense.

Miles' defense: 6'9 wingspan which is decent but unable to withstand pump fakes and still recover. Would he be able to play D against undersized PFs? I absolutely believe he can. Would he ever be able to defend 7 ft'ers...no, unless they bring their arms down.

Moving on to Mikal...definitely more balanced on O and D. Rotates well on D, hops, 7'2 wingspan, could be absolute terror on D, that is...until he faces a wide body who iso-plays him. He definitely needs to get stronger, forget Lebron, I don't see him TODAY being able to defend even PG13 or Morris brothers or Thaddeus Young or Lance Stephenson types. He definitely needs a weight gain plan like KP and Frank, which is fine...since we are a couple of seasons from playoffs IMO.

His ceiling...? A Durant type ace shooter with good D and great hops. As of today, I think he's still inconsistent on offense, streaky like JR but with less shiftiness. Unable to create space and needs to be in the right position or come off curls but will probably be unable to create his own shot in the first couple of seasons.

Overall, I think Mikal for long term prospect and Miles for immediate gains. I'd say why not go for both!! I like both options. Trade Lee or Hardaway to net a mid first-round where Miles is expected to fall

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/9/2018  10:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/9/2018  11:01 AM
Both are great options. Mikal has a higher floor and more true role player upside. He can help in multiple areas right away. Miles has more overall upside due to age and scoring ability. I would be happy with either. Being conservation, Mikal reminds me of Otto Porters, who's skillset got him 100M. Miles reminds me of a more athletic version of Thad Young.
Knixkik
USA
5/9/2018  10:59 AM
Cartman718 wrote:well first of all...great video. If you asked me today, who's better today...

I'd say Miles Bridges. Explosive on offense, NBA ready body and will be able to bang down low and defend in the paint, better handle, ability to create space between himself and defender, sort of like a young Melo on offense.

Miles' defense: 6'9 wingspan which is decent but unable to withstand pump fakes and still recover. Would he be able to play D against undersized PFs? I absolutely believe he can. Would he ever be able to defend 7 ft'ers...no, unless they bring their arms down.

Moving on to Mikal...definitely more balanced on O and D. Rotates well on D, hops, 7'2 wingspan, could be absolute terror on D, that is...until he faces a wide body who iso-plays him. He definitely needs to get stronger, forget Lebron, I don't see him TODAY being able to defend even PG13 or Morris brothers or Thaddeus Young or Lance Stephenson types. He definitely needs a weight gain plan like KP and Frank, which is fine...since we are a couple of seasons from playoffs IMO.

His ceiling...? A Durant type ace shooter with good D and great hops. As of today, I think he's still inconsistent on offense, streaky like JR but with less shiftiness. Unable to create space and needs to be in the right position or come off curls but will probably be unable to create his own shot in the first couple of seasons.

Overall, I think Mikal for long term prospect and Miles for immediate gains. I'd say why not go for both!! I like both options. Trade Lee or Hardaway to net a mid first-round where Miles is expected to fall

Neither Lee or Hardaway would yield a mid-first rounder. Plus, Miles will definitely go in the lottery i think. He's a good prospect and i'm sure will do very well in workouts.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/9/2018  11:03 AM
LivingLegend wrote:Either kid is fun to imagine playing for Knicks -- its a tough call but I would go Miles over Mykal for a few reasons.

- younger
- like his potential as a post & iso player given his explosiveness, strength and use of both hands around the rim
- feel like he could potentially grow into 2nd (Robin) scorer to KP --- like that he has scorers mentality
- like that he gets buckets in numerous ways - catch/shoot, pull-up off dribble, driving, back to basket in post, back-cuts...etc

Again -- either kid along with the Zhaire Smith kid (who could really rise late) would be fun to think about (throw Sexton in there as well).

I disagree. Miles is a PF in a SF's body. Those types of tweeners tend to not pan out in the NBA. The Knicks need a guy who can play on the wing. That's Mykal.

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Knixkik
USA
5/9/2018  11:26 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:Either kid is fun to imagine playing for Knicks -- its a tough call but I would go Miles over Mykal for a few reasons.

- younger

I disagree. Miles is a PF in a SF's body. Those types of tweeners tend to not pan out in the NBA. The Knicks need a guy who can play on the wing. That's Mykal.

Miles is a combo forward. I think what matters is who you play next to him. He definitely has the strength and speed for either position defensively. Offensively his skills are more special at the 4. Mitchell is an undersized 2, which is one of the reasons he dropped in the draft. Miles is probably the closest thing to Mitchell in this draft, in terms of issues preventing him from being a top 5 pick.

SupremeCommander

5/9/2018  11:38 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/9/2018  11:38 AM
Knixkik wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

- younger

Miles is a combo forward. I think what matters is who you play next to him. He definitely has the strength and speed for either position defensively. Offensively his skills are more special at the 4. Mitchell is an undersized 2, which is one of the reasons he dropped in the draft. Miles is probably the closest thing to Mitchell in this draft, in terms of issues preventing him from being a top 5 pick.

I've had to explain this multiple times in depth on this board... I don't have it in me to do it again... there is a huge difference between being a combo guard and a combo forward. End of the day, a combo guard is on the perimeter. What's needed between a SF and at PF are in contrast with each other

Also, I couldn't disagree more with a Miles/Mitchell comp. You do realize I wanted the Knicks to draft Mitchell last year? Please explain the similarities between Miles and Mitchell because frankly I see no similarities other than athleticism

Knixkik
USA
5/9/2018  11:46 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

- younger

I've had to explain this multiple times in depth on this board... I don't have it in me to do it again... there is a huge difference between being a combo guard and a combo forward. End of the day, a combo guard is on the perimeter. What's needed between a SF and at PF are in contrast with each other

Also, I couldn't disagree more with a Miles/Mitchell comp. You do realize I wanted the Knicks to draft Mitchell last year? Please explain the similarities between Miles and Mitchell because frankly I see no similarities other than athleticism

Both are soph's lost in a world of top freshman, who have been productive college players, but their position and size concerns make them an afterthought. Miles is the type of player who drops outside of the top 10, and then contributes right away, and everyone wonders how he fell so far, much like Mitchell. Bridges is one of the best athletes in the draft, and can shoot and defend. He was a good college player for 2 years too. Not saying he will be anywhere near as successful, but the similarities are obvious.

SupremeCommander

5/9/2018  11:48 AM
Knixkik wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

- younger

Both are soph's lost in a world of top freshman, who have been productive college players, but their position and size concerns make them an afterthought. Miles is the type of player who drops outside of the top 10, and then contributes right away, and everyone wonders how he fell so far, much like Mitchell. Bridges is one of the best athletes in the draft, and can shoot and defend. He was a good college player for 2 years too. Not saying he will be anywhere near as successful, but the similarities are obvious.

anecdotally, I suppose they are "obvious" but in terms of their similarities as players/prospects, I don't see it at all

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/9/2018  11:51 AM
We scouted well under Phil and I expect more of the same. We will get a good player. The best? Cant count on that but I think we draft a good player. I like the Nova kid and have all year. I think you can build a defense around Frank/Bridges/KP. The kind of team that can go out and ruin your offense on a nightly basis. Need more parts but those would be the foundation.

Obviously I hope we move up to a top 3 but barring that kind of luck I think we walk away with a good rotation player

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
SupremeCommander

5/9/2018  11:59 AM
fishmike wrote:We scouted well under Phil and I expect more of the same. We will get a good player. The best? Cant count on that but I think we draft a good player. I like the Nova kid and have all year. I think you can build a defense around Frank/Bridges/KP. The kind of team that can go out and ruin your offense on a nightly basis. Need more parts but those would be the foundation.

Obviously I hope we move up to a top 3 but barring that kind of luck I think we walk away with a good rotation player

I think we will get a decent player... the 'problem' that I see is that the best prospects that will be available to us will be PGs. Collin Sexton is a baller and a half... it's possible that Trae Young falls (i don't love him but I can see why people would). I thought SGA was the best player on Kentucky and there's a lot to like there.

Mikal Bridges would certainly fill a need for us and he can play. He would be my preffered SF. That said, i don't see him getting much better than he is now and he's not really a 'take the game over' type of player.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/9/2018  12:05 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:We scouted well under Phil and I expect more of the same. We will get a good player. The best? Cant count on that but I think we draft a good player. I like the Nova kid and have all year. I think you can build a defense around Frank/Bridges/KP. The kind of team that can go out and ruin your offense on a nightly basis. Need more parts but those would be the foundation.

I think we will get a decent player... the 'problem' that I see is that the best prospects that will be available to us will be PGs. Collin Sexton is a baller and a half... it's possible that Trae Young falls (i don't love him but I can see why people would). I thought SGA was the best player on Kentucky and there's a lot to like there.

Mikal Bridges would certainly fill a need for us and he can play. He would be my preffered SF. That said, i don't see him getting much better than he is now and he's not really a 'take the game over' type of player.

probably not... but making that a requirement at pick 9 is tough.

I am not opposed to a PG, so long as its the right one. Its hard to have interest in Sexton or Young with Burke already here. The guy who fascinates me SGA. He and Frank give me too long combo guards who can guard 3-4 positions.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/9/2018  12:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/9/2018  12:35 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:

Bridges isn't a take the game over type offensively, but his defense versatility is game changing. Plus, we've seen guys like Kahwi, Barnes, etc. improve their handles. It's not out of the question to say he has more potential to tap into. I don't think Collins has the size or athleticism to be elite. The only PG in this class I see with that potential is Young, because of his skill as a shooter. TBH, the Young gamble is one I don't feel comfortable taking as of now. SGA is kinda redundant on our roster now and I'm not sure if rank him top 10, even if we're talking BPA. Still early. A bad physical here, a terrific workout there, and the board could change dramatically. Heck, how many people thought Luke Kennard could go lottery at the end of last year's college season?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
USA
5/9/2018  12:35 PM
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

I am not opposed to a PG, so long as its the right one. Its hard to have interest in Sexton or Young with Burke already here. The guy who fascinates me SGA. He and Frank give me too long combo guards who can guard 3-4 positions.

Yeah i think at number 9 our goal should be a good long-term starting player. I think Mikal or Miles will both be good long-term starters for sure.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

5/9/2018  1:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/9/2018  1:45 PM
knickstorrents wrote:Give me the better defender with a higher IQ - Mikal Bridges for me.

...I wonder if Miles can play D at the SF position...and also question his shooting consistency.

SupremeCommander is dead on about the differences between SF and PF...and this is especially true on D.

I think Carmelo, who can be seen as a combo-forward now, is an example- he is not able to run around with many 3s right now. Miles is clearly a better athlete than Anthony right now, but I wonder about his ability to defend on the perimeter.

Mikal, on the other hand, might be able to defend at the 2, and might even be a fit there, someday, but he can also compete on D at SF.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
SupremeCommander

5/9/2018  1:38 PM
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

normally I would agree making it a requirement at #9 would be foolish, but I don't think so in this case. Right now the projection is Seton at #9. I watched a lot of him during the SEC tournament and the NCAA tourney. He was the best player on the court versus Kentucky -- easily. I think SGA took some games over that I watched. If you listen to Briggs, Trae Young can walk on water.

Those guys can take games over. I don't think we're good enough to say no to Sexton if he is available. I wouldn't be pissed if the Knicks draft Mikal, that said, I feel like having three PGs is like having three QBs. I would rather draft Sexton and let him play PG with Trey and then let Frank and THJ play SG. Maybe Mudiay surprises us, maybe he doesn't.

Conversely, I'm not really sure how Bridges stacks up against the best SFs in the game. Even if he ends up exactly as projected, is he good enough to be one of the 16 best SFs in the game?

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/9/2018  1:41 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
knickstorrents wrote:Give me the better defender with a higher IQ - Mikal Bridges for me.

...I wonder if Miles can play D at the SF position...and also question his shooting consistency.

I'd say he has an easier time covering the perimeter than he does the post. From what I've seen he covers three OK on NCAA level.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Which M. Bridges - detailed analysis on youtube

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy