Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/14/2018  5:14 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Nalod wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
Nalod wrote:Casey has not deserved to be fired.
He might have taken this team as far as it can go. Regular season is not a proxy for post season play.
Masai has to look at his team and figure out why the stagnation? The reality is DeRozen and Lowrey are not great players. Lowrey is undersized and DeRozen does not know how to win if he is not dropping buckets. They are paid like big time players but they are not. Still very very good ones!
Do they know what they are missing? Of course. so does Casey. That does not mean it gets executed. Its easy for Knicks1248 to judge but the fact is we don't know shyt.
You don't fire a coach unless you think you can exact improvement. You fire a coach who has been delinquent in their duties.
If Ujuri thinks they can go further with another coach then you don't fire Casey, you replace him. Yeah, there is a difference.

it's very easy to judge a coach/player/exec based on things we see on espn or the few games on national tv they have. we all do it.

but here's my perspective from watching him for 7 years every game.

really good coach but deserved to be let go.

raptors built a new culture with ujiri and casey played a big role. he got players to play hard. got his two big names to buy in. developed a ton of young talent and is a true professional. team played hard every night. everyone basically got along and he helped build a model franchise.

with that said, there is a difference between a marathon and a race. he was good for the marathon of the regular season but was not good for the race.

he had an offense that was bascially iso-ball for his first 6 seasons with lowry + dd. regular season consistently upper tier in offfensive rating but the playoffs, we were near the bottom. it was ujiri that had to step in last summer and tell him to change the offense. so casey was not proactive in that regard and had to be told what to do.

but the big thing is that the team was unprepared in the playoffs and it's indicative to losing every single game 1 (almost every one at home) in each playoff series. he is a reactive coach and not one to force the issue. if a team went small, he would quickly pull jonas and match up with the other team despite being the higher seed and the better team. his calling card is defense but in 10 consecutive playoff games, he was unable to come up with any sort of defensive game plan to slow down cleveland. indy pushed them to 7. celtics won game 1. and we got swept. inexcusable.

another knock was that he would hold other players accountable for defense but never derozan...despite every single stat and advanced stat saying derozan is a net negative and a major hit to team defense. he may sit him here and there but only b/c derozan was awful offensively - not for his defense.

you can not be the higher seed and get swept out of the playoffs 3 times in 5 years. the last 3 years, we beat teams we should have in the playoffs but it was tougher than it should have been. that is all due to coaching. players never felt the confidence that the coach would come up with a plan to win and it reflected in their performance. (the opposite is true of brad stevens). btw, casey drew up the inbounds play vs the nets in game 7's final possession for the opposite side of the court. with no timeouts, we had to scramble before the lowry shot that was blocked at the buzzer.

now it's time to see what another voice can do. there's still time for roster moves but we now need someone to give the players confidence to step up to a challenge and throw the first punch (proactive) as opposed to taking the first punch (reactive). team is still very talented and should be a better playoff performer.

he just didn't have the tactician chops needed for post season basketball despite having a higher functioning team. he took as as far as he could. this isn't a firing in the traditional sense. he got 7 years - 5 playoffs. he got way more time than many other organizations would be willing to give. ujiri was choked up in the presser. this has more to do with getting a better tactition and voice for post season play. you can't be happy with how we were willing to be punked by lebron. ujiri signed kyle + ibaka to 3 years (1 down 2 to go). derozan ends around the same time. first year - casey didn't succeed so he's gone. next year if kyle + dd sh t the bed again, he can tell management it's the players and he can move them relatively easily as expirings. then he can plan for the next 4-5 years.

to relate it to knicks speak - knicks had stu jackson and john macleoud from 88-91. core was jackson + oak + ewing in the 91 team that got swept quite easily in the first round to jordan. then pat riley comes in and changes EVERYTHING. he instilled the confidence and sentiment that the knicks should not fear jordan and should go after him. that's what casey did not provide.

he would be a great coach for a younger team though. one that's more invested in development, culture change and developing professionalism. he would've been a good choice for the knicks. i can see him in orlando as weltman was the assistant gm to ujiri and is now running the ship there - and they are going young as well.

That was my core, you replace him to further the team. I agree.
Casey didn't fail, he took them as far as it could go.
Kerr took Warriors, Carlisle took Dallas, Larry completed Detroit...........It happens.
I get it.

Can't even pretend to follow the Raptors on a consistent basis. But I'll ask this...would a different coach have a made difference, or is the team limited by it's backcourt? Demarr is a good player, but would he be a top creator on any of the teams playing in the conference finals? Same question in regard to Lowry? I think you guys need another solid creator, preferably one who can hit a three. Maybe Dwayne sucks as coach. When it comes down to it, most coaches uses variations of the same sets. It's the use of timeouts, substitutions etc
that really sepearate the great ones from the average ones. Do you think Brad Stephens would have a done better job?

Without an intimate knowledge its over my head.
Derozen seemed to hit a mental wall. Melo has hit the same thing. sometimes its the player. JR smith was a bone head at times in playoffs. Artest got Migranes.
Shyt happens. Lebron, Kobe, Jordan are different humans. Some rise up, others get pissy.
Is that on the coach? A guy like Knicks1248 might think so. Phil did a lot of mumboJumbo stuff to breed a unity and confidence that calmed his guys down. Yeah, some coaches can but you have to have the right players. Easy to say in the aftermath. What came first, Jordan or Phil? Or its chemistry when it combines?

AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/15/2018  2:38 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Nalod wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
Nalod wrote:Casey has not deserved to be fired.
He might have taken this team as far as it can go. Regular season is not a proxy for post season play.
Masai has to look at his team and figure out why the stagnation? The reality is DeRozen and Lowrey are not great players. Lowrey is undersized and DeRozen does not know how to win if he is not dropping buckets. They are paid like big time players but they are not. Still very very good ones!
Do they know what they are missing? Of course. so does Casey. That does not mean it gets executed. Its easy for Knicks1248 to judge but the fact is we don't know shyt.
You don't fire a coach unless you think you can exact improvement. You fire a coach who has been delinquent in their duties.
If Ujuri thinks they can go further with another coach then you don't fire Casey, you replace him. Yeah, there is a difference.

it's very easy to judge a coach/player/exec based on things we see on espn or the few games on national tv they have. we all do it.

but here's my perspective from watching him for 7 years every game.

really good coach but deserved to be let go.

raptors built a new culture with ujiri and casey played a big role. he got players to play hard. got his two big names to buy in. developed a ton of young talent and is a true professional. team played hard every night. everyone basically got along and he helped build a model franchise.

with that said, there is a difference between a marathon and a race. he was good for the marathon of the regular season but was not good for the race.

he had an offense that was bascially iso-ball for his first 6 seasons with lowry + dd. regular season consistently upper tier in offfensive rating but the playoffs, we were near the bottom. it was ujiri that had to step in last summer and tell him to change the offense. so casey was not proactive in that regard and had to be told what to do.

but the big thing is that the team was unprepared in the playoffs and it's indicative to losing every single game 1 (almost every one at home) in each playoff series. he is a reactive coach and not one to force the issue. if a team went small, he would quickly pull jonas and match up with the other team despite being the higher seed and the better team. his calling card is defense but in 10 consecutive playoff games, he was unable to come up with any sort of defensive game plan to slow down cleveland. indy pushed them to 7. celtics won game 1. and we got swept. inexcusable.

another knock was that he would hold other players accountable for defense but never derozan...despite every single stat and advanced stat saying derozan is a net negative and a major hit to team defense. he may sit him here and there but only b/c derozan was awful offensively - not for his defense.

you can not be the higher seed and get swept out of the playoffs 3 times in 5 years. the last 3 years, we beat teams we should have in the playoffs but it was tougher than it should have been. that is all due to coaching. players never felt the confidence that the coach would come up with a plan to win and it reflected in their performance. (the opposite is true of brad stevens). btw, casey drew up the inbounds play vs the nets in game 7's final possession for the opposite side of the court. with no timeouts, we had to scramble before the lowry shot that was blocked at the buzzer.

now it's time to see what another voice can do. there's still time for roster moves but we now need someone to give the players confidence to step up to a challenge and throw the first punch (proactive) as opposed to taking the first punch (reactive). team is still very talented and should be a better playoff performer.

he just didn't have the tactician chops needed for post season basketball despite having a higher functioning team. he took as as far as he could. this isn't a firing in the traditional sense. he got 7 years - 5 playoffs. he got way more time than many other organizations would be willing to give. ujiri was choked up in the presser. this has more to do with getting a better tactition and voice for post season play. you can't be happy with how we were willing to be punked by lebron. ujiri signed kyle + ibaka to 3 years (1 down 2 to go). derozan ends around the same time. first year - casey didn't succeed so he's gone. next year if kyle + dd sh t the bed again, he can tell management it's the players and he can move them relatively easily as expirings. then he can plan for the next 4-5 years.

to relate it to knicks speak - knicks had stu jackson and john macleoud from 88-91. core was jackson + oak + ewing in the 91 team that got swept quite easily in the first round to jordan. then pat riley comes in and changes EVERYTHING. he instilled the confidence and sentiment that the knicks should not fear jordan and should go after him. that's what casey did not provide.

he would be a great coach for a younger team though. one that's more invested in development, culture change and developing professionalism. he would've been a good choice for the knicks. i can see him in orlando as weltman was the assistant gm to ujiri and is now running the ship there - and they are going young as well.

That was my core, you replace him to further the team. I agree.
Casey didn't fail, he took them as far as it could go.
Kerr took Warriors, Carlisle took Dallas, Larry completed Detroit...........It happens.
I get it.

Can't even pretend to follow the Raptors on a consistent basis. But I'll ask this...would a different coach have a made difference, or is the team limited by it's backcourt? Demarr is a good player, but would he be a top creator on any of the teams playing in the conference finals? Same question in regard to Lowry? I think you guys need another solid creator, preferably one who can hit a three. Maybe Dwayne sucks as coach. When it comes down to it, most coaches uses variations of the same sets. It's the use of timeouts, substitutions etc
that really sepearate the great ones from the average ones. Do you think Brad Stephens would have a done better job?

we'll find out next season. all eyes on lowry + dd.

CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
5/18/2018  9:10 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/21/2018  2:08 AM

Fiz is getting together with Frank Plus Mudiay, Burke, Dotson and Troy!

The French Prince’’ has arrived in New York.

Knicks point guard Frank Ntilikina’s unofficial start to his second NBA season begins Monday when he huddles for the first time with new coach David Fizdale at the team’s Tarrytown facility, according to an NBA source.

Ntilikina, 19, flew in from France on Sunday after spending the past 5 ½ weeks in his homeland. According to an NBA source, Fizdale will conduct his first informal workout with players Monday as the Knicks three young point guards

— Ntilikina, Emmanuel Mudiay and Trey Burke — will be on hand.

Also on hand will be Damyean Dotson, their 2017 second-round pick, and Troy Williams, who played for Fizdale in Memphis.

Fizdale texted Ntilikina after getting the job earlier this month, but they have never met. The Knicks coach has said repeatedly establishing “great relationships’’ with his new players is his top goal this summer.

Knicks management didn’t believe the ousted coaching tag team of Jeff Hornacek/Kurt Rambis went the extra mile with their players.

Ntilikina, who lives in Strasbourg, France, has spent the past few weeks concentrating on strength and conditioning, working out a lot at Paris’ premier basketball academy, INSEP. Knicks officials are happy Ntilikina has put on muscle and weight. Management dispatched trainer Anthony Goenaga to France to work with him.

Now Ntilikina, selected eighth in the 2017 draft, is in the U.S. for good and will play in the Las Vegas summer league in July.

Last spring, Ntilikina didn’t do any pre-draft workouts because of the French League playoffs as he helped guide Strasbourg to the finals. He arrived in New York the day before the draft and only met with Knicks president Phil Jackson, then GM Steve Mills and Hornacek. Immediately after the draft, Ntilkina flew back to France to finish the series.

When he returned, Ntilikina’s sore left knee from the playoff grind prevented him from playing summer league. All those factors, Knicks officials believe, probably affected a rookie year in which he excelled defensively but struggled on the offensive end.

Ntilikina, who turns 20 on July 28, finished his rookie year averaging 5.9 points while shooting 36.4 percent (31.8 percent from 3). At his introductory press conference, Fizdale said he wanted to “get my hands on [Ntilikina] and start working with him and start seeing him with fresh eyes.”

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

5/24/2018  10:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2018  10:21 PM

Fiz: We are running the Triangle!
KP: Huh?
Fiz: Ha...Just Fucking with you

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/25/2018  9:28 AM
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
5/26/2018  9:25 AM
technomaster wrote:I'm interested in how Larry Brown still is talking up Mudiay... and how Fizdale was hyping him up as well during his introduction press conference - it's kind of funny, but looking at him, he's got a natural muscular build. Mudiay is much more Lebron James than Carmelo Anthony in that respect. But then saying how a guy who already looks beefy like that needs to get into elite shape, I'm like whaaaat?

He also played in Denver for 2.5 seasons, so if he was in mediocre shape in the high altitude, he should have been already in great shape for NY, but that didn't really pan out either.

I think someone already posted the video of how Fizdale teaches lanes to basket for layups and has his teams practice layups with the off hand, or the wrong foot, the Eurostep, etc. Basically, they give their players structured practice on these little techniques that could mean the a 10% improvement in finishing efficiency at the rim.

If you look at Mudiay videos in high school the kid could really finish. He was severely out of shape last year. If he commits to his conditioning and works on his jumper, I think he will look like a totally different player. I still think Frank should be the starter, but Mudiay can become a solid pg if he totally commits.

Trust the Process
CrushAlot
USA
5/27/2018  8:21 AM
TheGame wrote:
technomaster wrote:I'm interested in how Larry Brown still is talking up Mudiay... and how Fizdale was hyping him up as well during his introduction press conference - it's kind of funny, but looking at him, he's got a natural muscular build. Mudiay is much more Lebron James than Carmelo Anthony in that respect. But then saying how a guy who already looks beefy like that needs to get into elite shape, I'm like whaaaat?

He also played in Denver for 2.5 seasons, so if he was in mediocre shape in the high altitude, he should have been already in great shape for NY, but that didn't really pan out either.

I think someone already posted the video of how Fizdale teaches lanes to basket for layups and has his teams practice layups with the off hand, or the wrong foot, the Eurostep, etc. Basically, they give their players structured practice on these little techniques that could mean the a 10% improvement in finishing efficiency at the rim.

If you look at Mudiay videos in high school the kid could really finish. He was severely out of shape last year. If he commits to his conditioning and works on his jumper, I think he will look like a totally different player. I still think Frank should be the starter, but Mudiay can become a solid pg if he totally commits.

I missed this article on Mudiay at the time of the trade. There is a lot here about how much Mudiay missed out on developmental time as a point guard because he didn't attend college and was forced to be the starter immediately in Denver because of Lawson's issues at the time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.denverstiffs.com/platform/amp/2018/2/10/16998390/the-future-will-be-bright-for-denver-nuggets-emmanuel-mudiay

CrushAlot
USA
6/2/2018  5:45 PM
knicks1248
Member: #582
6/5/2018  1:08 PM
Per young

“He’s a great dude,” Young said. “Great coach. Everything I’ve heard about him, he’s amazing. He’s very energetic. He’s a guy who keeps it real with you. Me as a player who wants to be great. You want someone like that, who’s going to push you, who’s going to make you better, who’s going to keep it real with you. I really like Coach Fizdale.”

Haven't heard a player say one negative thing about fiz, is so well like by everybody

ES
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/5/2018  4:48 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Per young

“He’s a great dude,” Young said. “Great coach. Everything I’ve heard about him, he’s amazing. He’s very energetic. He’s a guy who keeps it real with you. Me as a player who wants to be great. You want someone like that, who’s going to push you, who’s going to make you better, who’s going to keep it real with you. I really like Coach Fizdale.”

Haven't heard a player say one negative thing about fiz, is so well like by everybody

Glad you found someone you can actually be positive about.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/5/2018  6:49 PM
https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/david-fizdale-knicks-coaching-staff-1.18983824

David Fizdale’s coaching staff with the Knicks is taking shape.

Keith Smart will join Fizdale’s staff as an assistant coach, a league source said. Smart, a former head coach for Golden State and Sacramento, worked with Fizdale in Miami and Memphis.

Former Clippers assistant and New Jersey native Pat Sullivan also will be on the Knicks’ bench, the league source confirmed. Sullivan also has worked as an assistant with the Nets, Pistons and Wizards. New York native Royal Ivey, who was an assistant in Oklahoma City, also will be on Fizdale’s staff, the league source confirmed.

ESPN.com first reported that Sullivan agreed to join the Knicks.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CrushAlot
USA
6/6/2018  6:41 PM
According to an NBA source, Jud Buechler, a member of the 72-win Bulls team of 1995-96, has finalized a contract to join Fizdale’s new coaching staff.

Buechler was an assistant/developmental coach with the Lakers and had his hand in rookie Kyle Kuzma’s rising star.
However, the status of Jeff Hornacek’s lone contending holdover, Howard Eisley, still is up in the air. As The Post has reported, Eisley is the lone past assistant who was in contention to remain. But Fizdale still could decide to wipe the Hornacek era clean.

knicks1248
Member: #582
6/6/2018  7:18 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

There hasn't been a lot to be positive/optimistic about, 4 straight embarrassing seasons, drafted players getting traded, a revolving coaching door, in experience FO, internal drama with FO and players, coaches and players, little to no progress in player development.

Fiz maybe the best thing since KP

ES
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
6/7/2018  12:59 PM
TheGame wrote:

Yes my hope is we try to rehabilitate the guards we already have and not waste a draft pick on one. I'd like us to get a critical mass of long, high IQ guys that can shoot that we can deploy on the floor at the same time. This should open up our offense and tighten up our defense as well. Each of our players needs to be able to see the floor and make the correct defensive rotations, we can see during these finals that this is actually quite hard to do, especially against elite offensive teams like Golden State.

Rose is not the answer.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/8/2018  5:19 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

There hasn't been a lot to be positive/optimistic about, 4 straight embarrassing seasons, drafted players getting traded, a revolving coaching door, in experience FO, internal drama with FO and players, coaches and players, little to no progress in player development.

Dude, please find a hole and crawl into it. Or break you keyboard into pieces, throw your phone out with he trash. Make teh world a better place! This incessant whining is hard to read.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
USA
6/8/2018  5:54 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Dude, please find a hole and crawl into it. Or break you keyboard into pieces, throw your phone out with he trash. Make teh world a better place! This incessant whining is hard to read.

What do you disagree with? Phil/Mills were inexperienced as a front office. Player development/scouting was better this year but was not good for the previous three years. No drama this year but the three previous years it was an issue. Fiz and Perry are suited for the jobs they were hired for. The front office and coaching staff are on the same page and there is a top down agreement in the organization that player development is the focus. Fiz seems like a great hire and he was allowed to hire his own coaching staff. The Knicks have a coach that hired his own coaching staff and a gm that almost hired his entire executive team. Those are huge changes from how things were done in the past.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/15/2018  12:27 PM
Fizdale effect? Positionless basketball
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/15/2018  12:28 PM
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/17/2018  2:22 PM
Woj reporting Kaleb Canales is joining the Knicks coaching staff from Dallas
Fizdale to the Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy