Fizdale to the Knicks
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
5/4/2018  12:42 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/4/2018  12:44 AM
PhilinLA wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:I hate this. They had better options, and only one or two worse options. Bad coach got fired for not getting along whith a Big Euro. Our best player is a Big Euro. Another bad move by a team that hasn't won since the early `70s. Indictment of another terrible FO.

His feud with Gasol about looking to push the pace I believe. Nothing to do with Gasol being Euro. And KP plays nothing like Gasol.

Look what he did with that Memphis team the yr prior.

He's phenomenally unimpressive. This was a result of 11 meetings? Hoy crap. Dolan said it would be a player developer. No evidence of that. Mills and Perry said he'd install a defensive identity. Really? They also said he's realize he's part of a team with the two of them. I think that's all they got.

Finished 7th in the east last season. Ahead of Blazers, Nuggets, Pelicans, better record than the Bucks and same record as the Hawks.

With Gasol, Conley and a 35 yr old Zach Randolph as its main pieces. An overall less talented team than all those teams mentioned above. With Conley playing 69 games.

He doesn't have enough yrs in as a head coach to tell if he is really good coach or not.

The next season he coached 19 games and went 7-12 with Conley playing 12 of those games and being injured since the season started and not much other talent(sand Gasol 33).

Don't know exactly what you are basing anything on when you claim underwhelming.

Take that for data! lol

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/4/2018  12:54 AM
Fiz on Woj podcast

https://overcast.fm/+FssdZgyHw

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
5/4/2018  7:25 AM
Anyone put off that they weren't able to move forward until he met Dolan? I know he is the owner, but could he have vetoed if he didn't like Fiz?

Very happy with this hire and especially the search.

Probably worried over nothing, but starphuch references are worrisome.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/4/2018  7:31 AM
franco12 wrote:Anyone put off that they weren't able to move forward until he met Dolan? I know he is the owner, but could he have vetoed if he didn't like Fiz?

Very happy with this hire and especially the search.

Probably worried over nothing, but starphuch references are worrisome.

The owner wants to meet the new face of his franchise. Nothing wrong with that.
Even if its Dolan. This is how high level hirings are done.

knicks1248
Member: #582
5/4/2018  8:24 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:I hate this. They had better options, and only one or two worse options. Bad coach got fired for not getting along whith a Big Euro. Our best player is a Big Euro. Another bad move by a team that hasn't won since the early `70s. Indictment of another terrible FO.

His feud with Gasol about looking to push the pace I believe. Nothing to do with Gasol being Euro. And KP plays nothing like Gasol.

He's phenomenally unimpressive. This was a result of 11 meetings? Hoy crap. Dolan said it would be a player developer. No evidence of that. Mills and Perry said he'd install a defensive identity. Really? They also said he's realize he's part of a team with the two of them. I think that's all they got.

Finished 7th in the east last season. Ahead of Blazers, Nuggets, Pelicans, better record than the Bucks and same record as the Hawks.

With Gasol, Conley and a 35 yr old Zach Randolph as its main pieces. An overall less talented team than all those teams mentioned above. With Conley playing 69 games.

He doesn't have enough yrs in as a head coach to tell if he is really good coach or not.

The next season he coached 19 games and went 7-12 with Conley playing 12 of those games and being injured since the season started and not much other talent(sand Gasol 33).

Don't know exactly what you are basing anything on when you claim underwhelming.

Take that for data! lol

BUD should have been the 1st choice and if he wasn't available then you could have went with FIZ. The one thing I know you going to get with FIZ is accountability, and obviously not afraid to put the best player in check if need be.

ES
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

5/4/2018  9:57 AM

As a fan I will cheer and hope for the best

Not my first choice. So now we have to see if the FO can deliver -- or if they're knuckleheads

WOnder what the dynamic was with Bud; if nothing else, he was able to get THJ turned around. That alone was worth note, as we've invested a lot of cap space in THJ. And if you think he could do it again with other players....

fingers crossed

(5)(5)
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/4/2018  10:24 AM
I thought Bud was the best choice and has experience with THjr and developing Schroder.

Im open to Fiz but its wait and see.

Here's 25 pages of what Grizz fans thought of his firing:
https://boards.grizzliesonline.com/index.php?/topic/19882-david-fizdale-fired/

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
5/4/2018  10:47 AM
fishmike wrote:I thought Bud was the best choice and has experience with THjr and developing Schroder.

I stopped reading after they started to say their organization was the worst and a dumpster fire.

As a Knick fan, I know that's mine!

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
5/4/2018  11:15 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Take that for data! lol

BUD should have been the 1st choice and if he wasn't available then you could have went with FIZ. The one thing I know you going to get with FIZ is accountability, and obviously not afraid to put the best player in check if need be.

Bud does have a choice in the matter correct. With potential openings in Miluakee & OKC.....

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/4/2018  12:06 PM
franco12 wrote:
fishmike wrote:I thought Bud was the best choice and has experience with THjr and developing Schroder.

I stopped reading after they started to say their organization was the worst and a dumpster fire.

As a Knick fan, I know that's mine!

Yeah, but Hasheen Thabeet tho....
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

5/4/2018  12:29 PM
One of the primary things I'm hopeful for with Fiz is the potential for carrying over some of the conditioning practices from the HEAT (Riley) organization.
oo
I've always felt the Heat are the most well conditioned franchise in the NBA under Riley -- their players are typically shredded and in elite condition if not always the most talented --- they also seem to squeeze out some lemonade from unknown/underappreciated players.

First major hope is that Fiz can immediately instill the need for MUDIAY to get in ELITE condition -- as that is his only chance. Also -- more importantly hope he gives clear concise direction to Frank/KP/Timmy what he expects from them in terms of body-fat targets...conditioning etc. If we can somehow be the BEST CONDITIONED team -- sometimes great D and toughness follows.

I would think Fiz will be strong in terms of conditioning, attitude, toughness ---- not so sure about him in terms of creativity on the offensive side ----- something that has never stood out to me with the HEAT.

Just hopeful we can have an excited, tough young bunch of guys playing with great energy/effort.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/4/2018  1:52 PM
LivingLegend wrote:One of the primary things I'm hopeful for with Fiz is the potential for carrying over some of the conditioning practices from the HEAT (Riley) organization.
oo
I've always felt the Heat are the most well conditioned franchise in the NBA under Riley -- their players are typically shredded and in elite condition if not always the most talented --- they also seem to squeeze out some lemonade from unknown/underappreciated players.

First major hope is that Fiz can immediately instill the need for MUDIAY to get in ELITE condition -- as that is his only chance. Also -- more importantly hope he gives clear concise direction to Frank/KP/Timmy what he expects from them in terms of body-fat targets...conditioning etc. If we can somehow be the BEST CONDITIONED team -- sometimes great D and toughness follows.

I would think Fiz will be strong in terms of conditioning, attitude, toughness ---- not so sure about him in terms of creativity on the offensive side ----- something that has never stood out to me with the HEAT.

Just hopeful we can have an excited, tough young bunch of guys playing with great energy/effort.

+1

From what Ive read and heard from retired players like Rose, Pierce, Billups, is that Fizdale will be able to handle the pressure of coaching in NY. Also good at getting players to buy in (Gasol aside) Looks like Fiz is flying out to see KP, which is a great move. Thats how you build relationships.

Rose was talking about how he will get the Knicks to play D. I agree about the importance of conditioning. Mudiay better start hitting the gym, lol.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/4/2018  2:04 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Take that for data! lol

At least with Fizz you get to hang on to some sort of miserable existence and can make up all kinds of shyt on how the Knicks bumbled the hiring.
Bud was a fine choice and was my preference. IN the end Fizz might have just blown Bud away in the interview process.

GustavBahler

5/4/2018  2:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/4/2018  3:00 PM
Brian Windhorst says that Fizdale was the most in demand coach on the market, that "the Knicks didnt pick Fizdale, Fizdale picked the Knicks."
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

5/4/2018  3:21 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Brian Windhorst says that Fizdale was the most in demand coach on the market, that "the Knicks didnt pick Fizdale, Fizdale picked the Knicks."

Heard the same thing.....

Several years ago...we could not even get a sniff from Bud and Fizz....

GustavBahler

5/4/2018  3:26 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Brian Windhorst says that Fizdale was the most in demand coach on the market, that "the Knicks didnt pick Fizdale, Fizdale picked the Knicks."

What do you believe changed?

ekstarks94

5/4/2018  3:42 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:

What do you believe changed?

Perry & Mills....even Dolan

Another poster wrote that this was another starphuck or something because Mills & Perry had to get Dolan's sign off on Fiz...

People forget that Dolan in paying probably 2 ex coaches and 1 team prez

He's paying
1)Jeff
2)Phil
3)Fish
4)Probably still paying Larry Brown

There are a lot of owners that would not do that..pony up the money....in the past money had just been spent with no direction....but an owner with deep pockets and hopefully a bit of patience will go a long way...

GustavBahler

5/4/2018  3:44 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:Steve and Perry...and even Dolan...

A poster wrote in this thread or another thread that this was another starphuck...because Perry and Mills had to get a sign off from Dolan when he met Fiz...

But not for nothing...Dolan is paying several people now aside from adding another contract to the stable

- Paying Horncek
- Paying Phil
- Paying Fish
- Probably still paying Larry Brown

Money is not an object...but now it is being spent with a plan in mind.

Perry and Mills...cool customers on the Melo trade....after the meltdown last week in OKC the trade looks even better..and they took their time on the coaching search...

Thanks, lots of good points there. I would add being able to coach KP because he can ball, and it gives Fizdale the chance to show he's learned from his falling out with Gasol.

Bud was my first choice, but Fizdale working with Frank has me pysched. I believe he is going to push him to be more of a threat on offense. Its the next step.

Fizdale is known as a defensively minded coach, must be psyched himself to be able to work with a defensive prodigy like Frank.

ekstarks94

5/4/2018  3:51 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

A poster wrote in this thread or another thread that this was another starphuck...because Perry and Mills had to get a sign off from Dolan when he met Fiz...

But not for nothing...Dolan is paying several people now aside from adding another contract to the stable

- Paying Horncek
- Paying Phil
- Paying Fish

Perry and Mills...cool customers on the Melo trade....after the meltdown last week in OKC the trade looks even better..and they took their time on the coaching search...

Thanks, lots of good points there. I would add being able to coach KP because he can ball, and it gives Fizdale the chance to show he's learned from his falling out with Gasol.

Bud was my first choice, but Fizdale working with Frank has me pysched. I believe he is going to push him to be more of a threat on offense. Its the next step.

Fizdale is known as a defensively minded coach, must be psyched himself to be able to work with a defensive prodigy like Frank.

Not gonna lie....Bud was my first choice too....but if you have 1 & 1a......I think we are still in a good spot.....But to be honest...if he wanted a rebuild he could have stayed in ATL....he seems tailored made for MIL....but I still would have liked him with Frank like you mentioned....but I am not going to sleep on Fiz with Frank too...Frank had a nice finsih to the season...something with the right developmental coach could really build off of....

I think the franchise is in a good place...I like Perry and Mills combo...throw Fiz in the mix and let's see where we go....beats the Phil era by light years to me.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/4/2018  3:54 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

- Paying Horncek
- Paying Phil
- Paying Fish

I like this. Feel like KP is a GREAT interior defender and gets hounded because he can't make up for Kanter's deficiencies while also trying to guard stretch 4's all the way out to the 3point line. KP is a bit slow in that regard but don't think he is bad. Having Frank to work with is just gold

IMHO Knicks have 2 great building blocks on D and need at least 1 more anchor, whether a big to compliment KP or a wing ala Mikal.

Do hope that Fizdale brings that defensive intensity like Brad Stevens.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Fizdale to the Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy