USA
5/9/2018  11:18 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Dont care where Frank plays, as long as he is aggressive. Sounds like Fizdale is planning on using a 3 guard setup at times, which was something Hornacek was a fan of. Works better for Frank, I imagine. Lets him play off the ball more.

You still need a PG who can bring up the ball, and get to the rim if he sees a lane. Right now that player is Burke. If Frank can become that kind of player, more power to him, and the Knicks.

Frank increased his drives and his scoring % on Drives as the season progressed. It’s only a matter of time before he takes over the starting PG job. His D is already there. He has the same Assist Ratio as Burke. Frank is going to benefit most from Fiz’s help.

I think Fiz, per his press conference, is thinking of positionless basketball for the guards and PF/C. That means Frank will probably be one of the starting guards. Frank wasn't at the presser, but Burke and Mudiay were. My guess is Frank was in France?

Burke isn't owed any money and clearly Fiz's focus is going to be on defense to start. This means Burke is going to the bench. That leaves Dotson and Mudiay...Dotson would probably get the nod on opening night. But Mudiay has the potential to become a Lance Stephenson relentless type due to athleticism, defense. If he develops a jump shot, which is really where his focus needs to be this offseason...watch out.

We will have a good problem on our hands.

Read someplace that Frank was back home but headed to the States for training just before the Draft Lottery, 15 May

notice i left hardaway out :) i think fizdale is going to try and ship him out in the first month if he doesn't shape up :)

Towards the end of the season we all saw THJr literally give up, stop and throw his hands up when something went wrong on D, whether it was him or a teammate. This will not be tolerated

Guess I missed those moments. I saw a guy taking charges from bigs who were hitting him like a freight train, after being eliminated from the playoffs. Dont believe you do that if you arent serious about D (dont go there Martin ). Room for improvement, but I dont believe Timmy was acting the way you are portraying him this season.

Don't know if you get to watch all games but this was not an isolated incident.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/9/2018  11:51 AM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Dont care where Frank plays, as long as he is aggressive. Sounds like Fizdale is planning on using a 3 guard setup at times, which was something Hornacek was a fan of. Works better for Frank, I imagine. Lets him play off the ball more.

You still need a PG who can bring up the ball, and get to the rim if he sees a lane. Right now that player is Burke. If Frank can become that kind of player, more power to him, and the Knicks.

Frank increased his drives and his scoring % on Drives as the season progressed. It’s only a matter of time before he takes over the starting PG job. His D is already there. He has the same Assist Ratio as Burke. Frank is going to benefit most from Fiz’s help.

I think Fiz, per his press conference, is thinking of positionless basketball for the guards and PF/C. That means Frank will probably be one of the starting guards. Frank wasn't at the presser, but Burke and Mudiay were. My guess is Frank was in France?

Burke isn't owed any money and clearly Fiz's focus is going to be on defense to start. This means Burke is going to the bench. That leaves Dotson and Mudiay...Dotson would probably get the nod on opening night. But Mudiay has the potential to become a Lance Stephenson relentless type due to athleticism, defense. If he develops a jump shot, which is really where his focus needs to be this offseason...watch out.

Read someplace that Frank was back home but headed to the States for training just before the Draft Lottery, 15 May

notice i left hardaway out :) i think fizdale is going to try and ship him out in the first month if he doesn't shape up :)

Towards the end of the season we all saw THJr literally give up, stop and throw his hands up when something went wrong on D, whether it was him or a teammate. This will not be tolerated

Guess I missed those moments. I saw a guy taking charges from bigs who were hitting him like a freight train, after being eliminated from the playoffs. Dont believe you do that if you arent serious about D (dont go there Martin ). Room for improvement, but I dont believe Timmy was acting the way you are portraying him this season.

Watched most of the games, missed a couple. I do remember posting something about this very early in the season. Didnt see much of it afterwards, not enough to say its an issue.

When THJ was here the last time, he was doing stuff like that on offense all the time. In spite of having some big holes in his game. Like not going to the rim, and playing D.

I see a player this season who put his body on the line repeatedly, yelling at teammates about their defense. I dont see that as a deal breaker.

The jury is still out wether or not Timmy will work out this time around. If it doesnt, I dont believe it will be over lack of effort, or not trying to earn his contract. More likely the feast or famine shooting.

I hope all the hard work Hardaway put into changing his game, his attitude, since being drafted, pays off next season. I didnt want him back initially. Even made a rare thread about it, but Im rooting for him now.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/9/2018  12:00 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Watched most of the games, missed a couple. I do remember posting something about this very early in the season. Didnt see much of it afterwards, not enough to say its an issue.

When THJ was here the last time, he was doing stuff like that on offense all the time. In spite of having some big holes in his game. Like not going to the rim, and playing D.

I see a player this season who put his body on the line repeatedly, yelling at teammates about their defense. I dont see that as a deal breaker.

The jury is still out wether or not Timmy will work out this time around. If it doesnt, I dont believe it will be over lack of effort, or not trying to earn his contract. More likely the feast or famine shooting.

I hope all the hard work Hardaway put into changing his game, his attitude, since being drafted, pays off next season. I didnt want him back initially. Even made a rare thread about it, but Im rooting for him now.

For me, THJr is a below average defender who can get hot on offense. Doesn't know what's a good shot. For a playoff team, he would be a below average starter who would have 1 good game a series, for the others he would be a minus for the team; as a 6th man, he may be much better.

He is dynamic in the open court and when he does get hot you can ride him for the duration of a game and maybe several games over.

On D his lateral movement is poor; he doesn't work to get around picks, often finding them and gets caught instead of fighting around/over to stick with his man. He loses his man backdoor more than average and isn't too good at keeping good defensive space: slumps to the paint too often and let's his man get open at the 3 point line. Good at taking charges.

Love his intensity but don't know if he knows how to channel it properly yet.

GustavBahler

5/9/2018  12:14 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

For me, THJr is a below average defender who can get hot on offense. Doesn't know what's a good shot. For a playoff team, he would be a below average starter who would have 1 good game a series, for the others he would be a minus for the team; as a 6th man, he may be much better.

He is dynamic in the open court and when he does get hot you can ride him for the duration of a game and maybe several games over.

On D his lateral movement is poor; he doesn't work to get around picks, often finding them and gets caught instead of fighting around/over to stick with his man. He loses his man backdoor more than average and isn't too good at keeping good defensive space: slumps to the paint too often and let's his man get open at the 3 point line. Good at taking charges.

You're right that THJ's D needs more improvement. I saw a better defender than the last time. Wether or not it keeps improving remains to be seen. IDK the numbers on his D. We arent close to being a contender, time for Hardaway to get better.

Might make a better 6th man, but someone has to step up and take the job from him. Who will it be?

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/9/2018  12:17 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

This a very accurate take on THJ,but the good thing about THJ is that his flaws can be corrected with good coaching

ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/9/2018  12:25 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

None of this is unfair. Consistency is the key and its why as a 3rd option type he's good. I still have no problem with the contract, I think early on he's lived up to it and I think as his FG%s rise next season we will see an even better THJ. Martin... one thing you didnt mention is THJ is a very good ball mover.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/9/2018  12:42 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

This a very accurate take on THJ,but the good thing about THJ is that his flaws can be corrected with good coaching

Coaching can help but will NEVER make up for a player's IQ. Just doesn't happen that way. It's like saying any teacher can make ANY student smarter outside of his/her capabilities.

Kanter will never be a good defender, Amare same way. THJr has a small window of opportunity.

GustavBahler

5/9/2018  3:00 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Coaching can help but will NEVER make up for a player's IQ. Just doesn't happen that way. It's like saying any teacher can make ANY student smarter outside of his/her capabilities.

Kanter will never be a good defender, Amare same way. THJr has a small window of opportunity.

Hardaway has the smarts to be a better defender. Dont need a PhD. The effort was there. Hornacek wasnt known as a defense first coach. Im sure Fizdale will break down his defensive lapses, show Timmy what hes doing wrong. Coaching can definitely help, but you're right it isnt a cure all.

knicks1248
Member: #582
5/9/2018  3:08 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

The reason I said coaching is because, the falling asleep on back door plays and forgetting your man station behind the 3 point line, and drifting to far in the paint to recover. Well the entire team was guilty of that, and has been for the last 3 seasons with 3 different rosters (the defensive philosophy)

When the season started I notice a vast improvement in THJ defense (the effort was there) by the time he came back form injury his defense looked like it did before he was traded to ATL.

I disagree with your take on a coach can't raise a players IQ. Raising a players IQ is part of a coaching staffs development, the players willingness to learn and the work he puts in.

If the coach is seeing tim roaming to far away from his man, it's up to the coach to keep pounded it in his head

ES
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/9/2018  8:19 PM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

None of this is unfair. Consistency is the key and its why as a 3rd option type he's good. I still have no problem with the contract, I think early on he's lived up to it and I think as his FG%s rise next season we will see an even better THJ. Martin... one thing you didnt mention is THJ is a very good ball mover.

I thought think he has ways to go to be considered even a third option on a good team. He needs to be way more consistent. Even going back to, Michigan, he's followed one good year with a disappointing one. I mean, look at the current playoff teams and tell me who he could start for. Miami and San Antonio, maybe? I can't write him off after an injury riddled season, but THJ has a lot to prove next season.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

5/9/2018  11:04 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Hardaway has the smarts to be a better defender. Dont need a PhD. The effort was there. Hornacek wasnt known as a defense first coach. Im sure Fizdale will break down his defensive lapses, show Timmy what hes doing wrong. Coaching can definitely help, but you're right it isnt a cure all.

He has the smarts, based on what? The fact that the effort was there but not the results would imply the opposite.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
GustavBahler

5/9/2018  11:18 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

He has the smarts, based on what? The fact that the effort was there but not the results would imply the opposite.

Based on THJ's improvement as a defender since his last time in NY. What makes you believe Hardaway does not have the mental capacity to improve further?

GustavBahler

5/9/2018  11:20 PM
Fizdale says a lot of nice things about Frank.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/david-fizdale-excited-coach-knicks-guard-frank-ntilikina-article-1.3981139

meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

5/10/2018  8:22 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Based on THJ's improvement as a defender since his last time in NY. What makes you believe Hardaway does not have the mental capacity to improve further?

It doesn't look like he really reads the opposing team very well. His defense towards the end of the season was pretty bad.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Sangfroid
Member: #2784

5/10/2018  11:17 PM
With THJ, it's a effort on offense kind of thing. he is definitely more involved defensively when his shot is dropping. When the shot doesn't drop, his focus starts to stray.
"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
Frank Ntilikina ranks No. 1 in stunning statistic

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy