[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Baker Baker... Come in?
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/27/2018  12:58 PM
arkrud wrote:4 mil for NBA is like 25K for regular worker... Who cares about this guy cleaning the office toilets...?
knicks1248... he eats off those toilets
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/27/2018  2:04 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
anrst wrote:has a no trade clause. i guess when steve mills shows us who he is, we should believe him.
its not a no trade clause. Its like what Mirotic had. Because he's a type of player on a short deal it means if he's traded he losses his bird right, so therefore has to approve any trades.

But yea... if that doesnt work with an agenda folks can always change things up

The knicks are obviously going to add a guard or a wing in the draft or FA

burke
mudaiy
thj
lee
frank.

that's 5 guards on the roster, where do you see him getting in the mix.

I know you read that mills and perry are scouting for guards in Europe while interviewing BLATT.

Are you really saying that bakers has a good contract?

Hey fellow Knicks fans, I wanted to try getting better at statistics so I figured I would start by doing a little project on one of our rookies from last season, Ron Baker, to see if his play lived up to his woj reported contract.

Methodology: To evaluate if Ron Baker's production equates to his salary I compared Baker's 2016-17 season averages to the averages of players who currently have 2017-18 salaries between 4 million and 5 million dollars (the expected range of Baker's 2017-18 salary based on the Wojnarowski report).

(All data taken from espn.com) Data: Below is a chart showing a comparison between Ron Baker's stat averages from the 2016-17 NBA season and the average stats of all other players who are being paid Ron Baker's expected salary.http://imgur.com/qaqNdtm

PER Comparison: As you can see in the bar chart below Baker's PER of 7.5 ranks among the worst PER's of all players with his salary. His PER is well below the mean PER of analyzed players which is 11.4. http://imgur.com/HQ96jHB
Ron Baker Individual Averages Compared to Mean of Same Salaried Players: Looking deeper into Baker's individual statistical averages for the 2016-17 season it is clear to see that Ron Baker falls short of expectations in almost every way. In the chart below the red bars illustrate the average for every major measurement category for all players with comparable salaries to Ron Baker. The blue bars illustrate Ron Baker's averages. As you can see from the chart Baker is well below average in most major statistical categories, in particular his scoring production is far worse than the average production that a player with his salary achieves. Baker only slightly beats the mean for assists, steals and http://imgur.com/VKqRtYIturnovers.
Conclusion: The data seems to clearly indicate that Ron Baker is a supremely below average NBA player even when just compared to players who are receiving his relatively small salary. This might have seemed obvious, but I thought it would be cool to illustrate it with some stats. My goal is to get better at this so any positive or negative feedback would be much appreciated!

My issue isn't with Baker, it's the thought process that went into signing him. If your not concern about that, your being naive.

But baker of justin,thats not good judgement

You telling yourself off?

Baker was drafted as a 3pt shooter, thats what he was known for in college. Has been a lousy NBA 3pt shooter, that is when he decides to shoot. Which brings us to another problem, his complete lack of agressiveness in spite of playing physical ball. Another guard who wont go to the rim. He isnt afraid of contact, but he wont chip in on offense. Got away with these shortcomings his rookie year because he was a team player, played good D, and moved the ball well. Other than some improved D, saw zero progress on offense. I know he was hurt, not hurt enough to come back with so little game.

Knew he was overpaid at the time. Sorry he's done so little to disprove that notion. Doubt it bothers him.

Baker is afraid of contact? Have you seen him play 1 minute? He's not a guy who get the rim off dribble penetration. Its not in his skill set. Afraid of contact? The guy broke his face and shoulder because he was NOT.

Read it again fishmike

if he did all the things you wanted he would be Chris Paul. He's Ron Baker. He wont chip in on offense for the same reason Frank wouldnt. He's got confidence issues and he's a young player deferring.

All Baker needs to do is hit the 3. He's shooting like 28%. Thats abysmal. If he's in his college range he's OK.

Look at the Knicks roster when they signed Baker. The guy plays so hard. Its always worth having a guy or two like that. The Knicks are trying to establish a culture of defense and hard pay, so they give Ron Baker $4mm. Wow. And peopleknicks1248 really struggle to connect these dots? Was this the year the Knicks needed every bit of cap space to lure FAs? No... its a throwaway contract for a guy they clearly like having around, wanted to reward, but do so in a way that had zero cap impact.

I dont even like Baker. Not a fan. But I am able to see why the Knicks signed him to that insane A-Rod like contract. Hopefully now we move on to more talented players, but if they dog it you can be sure the coach wont hesitate to play Ron Baker and to prove a point, and it would be a good point.

Gustav... that was more for the other guy than you

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
ccinflushing
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6061

4/27/2018  2:09 PM
We probably need to think of Baker as a Marcus Smart type of player where their individual stats don't tell the whole story about their impact .. their first two years are eerily similar.. In his second year, Marcus shot 25% from 3 and 35% overall, with an efg of 41%, while Ron shot 33% from 3 and 34% overall, with an èfg of 43%

The telling stat for Ron is +/- .. when he's on the floor the Knicks are +3.1 per 100 possessions, with an on/off differential of +7.7. For Marcus, the Celtic were +3.1 per 100 as well, although the on/off was a -0.3

I think Ron would be better served playing a SG/SF role as opposed to the quasi PG/SG role he was forced into given the Knick lack of depth at that position .. just like the Celts found with Marcus .. he's got the strength, length and wingspan to play that role and his handle is too loose to be a PG and we didn't see much improvement there .. he did show improvement with his 3 point shooting

As far as Ron's contract .. people forget that he was a Gilbert Arenas free agent and that there was some danger of a poison pill contract offer from other teams .. the Knicks were committed to retaining him and used the room exception to sign him, maximizing their available cap space to sign Tim Hardaway .. so yes an overpay, but with the benefit of it being only 2 years

I still have hopes that Ron can show ìmprovements in his shooting and be a useful player .. If you want to complain about a player please target Lance Thomas!

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/27/2018  2:23 PM
ccinflushing wrote:We probably need to think of Baker as a Marcus Smart type of player where their individual stats don't tell the whole story about their impact .. their first two years are eerily similar.. In his second year, Marcus shot 25% from 3 and 35% overall, with an efg of 41%, while Ron shot 33% from 3 and 34% overall, with an èfg of 43%

The telling stat for Ron is +/- .. when he's on the floor the Knicks are +3.1 per 100 possessions, with an on/off differential of +7.7. For Marcus, the Celtic were +3.1 per 100 as well, although the on/off was a -0.3

I think Ron would be better served playing a SG/SF role as opposed to the quasi PG/SG role he was forced into given the Knick lack of depth at that position .. just like the Celts found with Marcus .. he's got the strength, length and wingspan to play that role and his handle is too loose to be a PG and we didn't see much improvement there .. he did show improvement with his 3 point shooting

As far as Ron's contract .. people forget that he was a Gilbert Arenas free agent and that there was some danger of a poison pill contract offer from other teams .. the Knicks were committed to retaining him and used the room exception to sign him, maximizing their available cap space to sign Tim Hardaway .. so yes an overpay, but with the benefit of it being only 2 years

I still have hopes that Ron can show ìmprovements in his shooting and be a useful player .. If you want to complain about a player please target Lance Thomas!

THank you for the effort to reconstruct the scenario beyond the obvious stats.

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/27/2018  2:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/27/2018  2:26 PM
Nalod wrote:
ccinflushing wrote:We probably need to think of Baker as a Marcus Smart type of player where their individual stats don't tell the whole story about their impact .. their first two years are eerily similar.. In his second year, Marcus shot 25% from 3 and 35% overall, with an efg of 41%, while Ron shot 33% from 3 and 34% overall, with an èfg of 43%

when you factoring

4.5 mill baker
3 mil for kuz
1.5 johhny O'bryant
2.3 mill for sessions

almost 10 mill of the cap that was just given away to players who did next to nothing, and your excited about the future of the FO..

No team in the nba coughed up that much money last season for useless players

ES
ccinflushing
Member: #6061

4/27/2018  2:32 PM
All those signings are from using exceptions, not cap space ..
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/27/2018  2:40 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

when you factoring

4.5 mill baker
3 mil for kuz
1.5 johhny O'bryant
2.3 mill for sessions

almost 10 mill of the cap that was just given away to players who did next to nothing, and your excited about the future of the FO..

This is what it boils down to for you regarding the FO? Baker, Kuz, Johnny O'Bryant and Sessions? Johnny Fucking O'Bryant cap hit? And the likes of Sessions who was a vet min signing?

Could you waste our time more? WFT dude

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
4/27/2018  2:51 PM
Everyone having a good time, with your kids, with your best girl, swimming, listening to music, drink a few cold beers, Making plans for dinner, maybe romance........
Enjoying the scene.
Then there is this guy, all lone, redundant activity looking for lost rings, Keys, key chains, beer caps, who the phuch knows.

Knicks1248 looking for negative things to dig up.
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/27/2018  3:16 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

when you factoring

4.5 mill baker
3 mil for kuz
1.5 johhny O'bryant
2.3 mill for sessions

This is what it boils down to for you regarding the FO? Baker, Kuz, Johnny O'Bryant and Sessions? Johnny Fucking O'Bryant cap hit? And the likes of Sessions who was a vet min signing?

That's the same exact thing i said when we got these players..smh

ES
Nalod
USA
4/27/2018  3:58 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

when you factoring

4.5 mill baker
3 mil for kuz
1.5 johhny O'bryant
2.3 mill for sessions

That's the same exact thing i said when we got these players..smh

Just the ones that don't pan out?
Did you say that about Beas? Jack?

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

4/27/2018  5:03 PM
Have been a big supporter of Baker from the beginning...the simple fact is that he has to come into the season as a different player on offense, or I can't see him sticking around here.

Lee, Dotson, and Frank can all play at SG and give you solid D, which is what Baker's calling card is right now. He has to become a consistent shooter from distance in order to distinguish himself, especially considering the fact that he has shown little ability to finish at the basket.

I'd like to see him play in the SL. He really needs to prove himself.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/27/2018  5:22 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Have been a big supporter of Baker from the beginning...the simple fact is that he has to come into the season as a different player on offense, or I can't see him sticking around here.

Lee, Dotson, and Frank can all play at SG and give you solid D, which is what Baker's calling card is right now. He has to become a consistent shooter from distance in order to distinguish himself, especially considering the fact that he has shown little ability to finish at the basket.

I'd like to see him play in the SL. He really needs to prove himself.

He did show minor improvement as a shooter and that's not even factoring all the injuries. He was never really a knock down three point shooter, even in college. I'd be happy if he got up to 35%-36% as a shooter. He still had a VORP of .01 which isn't horrible. And someone already pointed out his +/- are surprisingly good. Now, should he have been given that contract? No, but it doesn't make or break our cap situation one way or another. Sometimes it's the salary itself that's important. Never know when an expiring $4.5 million slot will come in handy at the trade deadline.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
93BUICK
Member: #1175
USA
4/27/2018  5:58 PM

I like that comparison- and I hope Lance comes back and plays like he did before he got paid- I think not enough was asked from him and he got a big pass just for having a defensive rep from half a year of inspired play- The team was so bad though a guy like him is useful as a 7th or 8th guy in usage in shorts spurts not someone to lean on. I think that Ron will be motivated to get the best out of himself and if not it's not an albatross especially by Knick standards-

If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
93BUICK
Member: #1175
USA
4/27/2018  6:03 PM
Also thanks all of you for being the only people I know who would discuss Ron Baker, and with passion! We infight but if it draws blood it's always orange and blue on both sides.
If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

4/27/2018  7:44 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
anrst wrote:has a no trade clause. i guess when steve mills shows us who he is, we should believe him.
its not a no trade clause. Its like what Mirotic had. Because he's a type of player on a short deal it means if he's traded he losses his bird right, so therefore has to approve any trades.

burke
mudaiy
thj
lee
frank.

I know you read that mills and perry are scouting for guards in Europe while interviewing BLATT.

Hey fellow Knicks fans, I wanted to try getting better at statistics so I figured I would start by doing a little project on one of our rookies from last season, Ron Baker, to see if his play lived up to his woj reported contract.

Methodology: To evaluate if Ron Baker's production equates to his salary I compared Baker's 2016-17 season averages to the averages of players who currently have 2017-18 salaries between 4 million and 5 million dollars (the expected range of Baker's 2017-18 salary based on the Wojnarowski report).

(All data taken from espn.com) Data: Below is a chart showing a comparison between Ron Baker's stat averages from the 2016-17 NBA season and the average stats of all other players who are being paid Ron Baker's expected salary.http://imgur.com/qaqNdtm

PER Comparison: As you can see in the bar chart below Baker's PER of 7.5 ranks among the worst PER's of all players with his salary. His PER is well below the mean PER of analyzed players which is 11.4. http://imgur.com/HQ96jHB
Ron Baker Individual Averages Compared to Mean of Same Salaried Players: Looking deeper into Baker's individual statistical averages for the 2016-17 season it is clear to see that Ron Baker falls short of expectations in almost every way. In the chart below the red bars illustrate the average for every major measurement category for all players with comparable salaries to Ron Baker. The blue bars illustrate Ron Baker's averages. As you can see from the chart Baker is well below average in most major statistical categories, in particular his scoring production is far worse than the average production that a player with his salary achieves. Baker only slightly beats the mean for assists, steals and http://imgur.com/VKqRtYIturnovers.
Conclusion: The data seems to clearly indicate that Ron Baker is a supremely below average NBA player even when just compared to players who are receiving his relatively small salary. This might have seemed obvious, but I thought it would be cool to illustrate it with some stats. My goal is to get better at this so any positive or negative feedback would be much appreciated!

My issue isn't with Baker, it's the thought process that went into signing him. If your not concern about that, your being naive.

Fantastic analysis - can you do this with Melo and his salary?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/30/2018  12:24 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

burke
mudaiy
thj
lee
frank.

Yeah, and maybe include metrics that show how all career cancerous iso-chuckers alwways draw up their own contracts, give themselves ntc's, etc, etc...

...and maybe include a simple chart for the haters here that compares salary to visits to the playoffs or the absolute relative value of the only second round apperance since '90's...

wow, that Euphoria is over the Top thread made me want to cry... The days before ChuckBuck turned into father of meloshouldtradehisself giveallthemoneybackgoplayinBulgaria go ...knicks winning 50 games!

History proves nothing because it contains everything. - Emil Cioran

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

4/30/2018  6:34 PM
fishmike wrote:guy plays his ass off, gets hurt and you make a thread about where are you in late April?

Go get some coffee man... maybe read a comic or smell a flower.

Baker will be great to have in the mix. If he could hit the 3 he would be even better. If he doesnt he's a one year hustle guy who will play his ass off on defense for a year. Boo hoo hoo.... we have an expiring contract for $4mm. My god, the franchise is ruined!

1248.. this is what you are bringing to the table?

Love Ron....kills me that he left his shot and confidence at Wich St.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

4/30/2018  7:52 PM
Nalod wrote:His sophomore season was a disaster from the start of camp.
Excuse? Not really, its a reason.
It was a departure from his Rookie year.
Contract? He was a free agent. We did not read about his open market value and naturally we just assume knicks bumbled it.
The kid was solid. If he was over paid, ok, but by how much? In Retrospect it looks bad.
As for "thought process"? Take a kid undrafted and after his rookie year say he would have been a late first rounder or early to mid second, and pay him?
Like I said, no injury and we let him go to another team then question that thought process?
Baker sucked last year.
Knicks likely to draft a front court player. Its not a forgone conclusion we take another guard.

Do you really believe another team would give him 2 years 8 million? Further proof this franchise is utterly doomed until Steve Mills is fired

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

5/1/2018  7:12 PM
jrodmc wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

burke
mudaiy
thj
lee
frank.

Yeah, and maybe include metrics that show how all career cancerous iso-chuckers alwways draw up their own contracts, give themselves ntc's, etc, etc...

...and maybe include a simple chart for the haters here that compares salary to visits to the playoffs or the absolute relative value of the only second round apperance since '90's...

wow, that Euphoria is over the Top thread made me want to cry... The days before ChuckBuck turned into father of meloshouldtradehisself giveallthemoneybackgoplayinBulgaria go ...knicks winning 50 games!

History proves nothing because it contains everything. - Emil Cioran

Einstein, you have surpassed even your own ususal drivel. I asked for the same analysis of Melo's output based on his salary because that was how Baker was being evalutaed. Are you saying Baker drew up his own contract and that's why it's ok to analyse him this way but not Melo?

I don't know abot the absolute relative value, the entertainment value of your posts are unsrpassed

Euphoria is over what? WTF does that mean?? Who is ChuckBuck and why will he play in Bulgaria?

I am starting to be concerned about you, are you ok? Do you own guns? Should we call 911?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Baker Baker... Come in?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy