[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is there anyone out there still claiming Phil hurt Melo's -cough- "trade value"?
Author Thread
fwk00
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6048

4/24/2018  10:29 PM
LOL
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/25/2018  5:19 AM
I mean we got pretty lucky by getting whst we did for him. Otherwise, Phil pretty much destroyed any minimal amount of value he had.

Not even sure how we got Kanter but the stars aligned for that one bc OKC was deseperate to get Westbrook to stay.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/25/2018  5:39 AM
I wonder if Melo would have ended up being bought out if Phil stayed. I think he was ready to go but
I don't know if he would have waived his ntc if Phil stuck around. Horrible contract. The Knicks got lucky that the pissing contest between Phil and Melo was ended.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
4/25/2018  7:17 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:I mean we got pretty lucky by getting whst we did for him. Otherwise, Phil pretty much destroyed any minimal amount of value he had.

Not even sure how we got Kanter but the stars aligned for that one bc OKC was deseperate to get Westbrook to stay.

So true! A bag of balls would have been too much. He kills a team, he does not make it better. If OKC wants to come back, bench him now and never play him again.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/25/2018  8:55 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:I mean we got pretty lucky by getting whst we did for him. Otherwise, Phil pretty much destroyed any minimal amount of value he had.

So true! A bag of balls would have been too much. He kills a team, he does not make it better. If OKC wants to come back, bench him now and never play him again.

Melo is washed up, no doubt, but OKC's problems extend past him. Like the Wizards are slowly finding out, it's hard when you're primary ball handler can't really shoot. Westbrook is too easy to game plan for and Donovan has been to underwhelming as a coach. They need more shooters to open things up for Westbrook. They could probably use a better facilitator in the backcourt too.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/25/2018  9:38 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

Melo is washed up, no doubt, but OKC's problems extend past him. Like the Wizards are slowly finding out, it's hard when you're primary ball handler can't really shoot. Westbrook is too easy to game plan for and Donovan has been to underwhelming as a coach. They need more shooters to open things up for Westbrook. They could probably use a better facilitator in the backcourt too.

For that to happen Westbrook has to give up the rock!!
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/25/2018  9:43 AM
CrushAlot wrote:I wonder if Melo would have ended up being bought out if Phil stayed. I think he was ready to go but
I don't know if he would have waived his ntc if Phil stuck around. Horrible contract. The Knicks got lucky that the pissing contest between Phil and Melo was ended.

True....We would have ended up with Ryan Anderson and his cap killing contract

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/25/2018  9:52 AM
Uptown wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:I wonder if Melo would have ended up being bought out if Phil stayed. I think he was ready to go but

From the NY TImes...

The delay to find a workable trade, in Anthony’s view, stemmed from the fact that Jackson was willing “to trade me for a bag of chips,” while Scott Perry, who became the Knicks’ new general manager after Jackson’s departure, took a harder line in trade talks with Houston and Cleveland that eventually fizzled.

“They went from asking for peanuts to asking for steak,” Anthony said with a laugh.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/25/2018  10:14 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:

From the NY TImes...

The delay to find a workable trade, in Anthony’s view, stemmed from the fact that Jackson was willing “to trade me for a bag of chips,” while Scott Perry, who became the Knicks’ new general manager after Jackson’s departure, took a harder line in trade talks with Houston and Cleveland that eventually fizzled.

“They went from asking for peanuts to asking for steak,” Anthony said with a laugh.

Melo and Phil will end up being great for the franchise. Between all the drama and stupidity what are we left with? Dolan allowing BB people to rebuild the team. Yea its early, but we dont see to be trading picks anymore, we are drafting good players and our focus is youth driven, not lets make the playoffs driven.

Its early but I can sit and wait on this.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/25/2018  10:20 AM
besides the obvious erosion of Melo's play, I kinda feel like the game has passed him by... he should be a stretch 4 today, but he doesn't rebound and can't really catch-and-shoot

he went from a great player in an ISO league to a homeless man's version of Robert Horry (meaning all of the flaws but none of the advantages)

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/25/2018  10:26 AM
fwk00 wrote:LOL

they won 47 games last yr without melo and pg13

They won 48 games with melo and pg13

THE NYK won 32 games last season, 29 this season

OKC and NYK made a lateral trade

ES
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

4/25/2018  10:27 AM
I think we can agree that BOTH needed to go and probably shouldnt have been here to begin with. I like our management we have now and how we are building for the future
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
4/25/2018  10:50 AM

I sometimes wonder if Phil was willing to gamble on outright releasing him. As if he is put on waivers and a team like Nets or Kings claim him with their cap space. They would have ate his whole contract correct?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
mythfaze
Member: #106
4/25/2018  10:57 AM
Phil unequivocally hurt Melo's trade value.

Without all that drama, we would have been able to get a better package for him -- even if just marginally.

Was he worth more than a bag of chips to begin with? Nah. Did we need to trumpet that fact for the world to hear? Definitely not.

Watching Thunder fans lose their minds on Twitter after the last L was unbelievably satisfying.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/25/2018  10:59 AM
Uptown wrote:

MDA would never have allowed any deal involving Melo. MDA would rather have Anderson then Melo and his cap killing deal and chemistry killing game.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/25/2018  11:11 AM
mythfaze wrote:Phil unequivocally hurt Melo's trade value.

Without all that drama, we would have been able to get a better package for him -- even if just marginally.

Was he worth more than a bag of chips to begin with? Nah. Did we need to trumpet that fact for the world to hear? Definitely not.

Watching Thunder fans lose their minds on Twitter after the last L was unbelievably satisfying.

Do you think GM's on other teams care more about Phils words then what tape would tell them about Melo's game?
Teams employ scouts to watch other teams as well.
Then there is the contract.
You really think other teams were like "hey, I thought Melo was a team first win at all cost kind of guy who's body and ability defies age, but wow, Phil's saying Melo holds the ball too long and needs to move on if he want to win?, Wow, that's came as a shocking surprise!!!" We never would have seen there was anything but sugar plums and fairies in Melo's world!!!

stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

4/25/2018  11:16 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
fwk00 wrote:LOL

they won 47 games last yr without melo and pg13

They won 48 games with melo and pg13

THE NYK won 32 games last season, 29 this season

OKC and NYK made a lateral trade

Except it's OKC and not NYK on the hook for $28M next year. Lateral my a**.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

4/25/2018  12:52 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:besides the obvious erosion of Melo's play, I kinda feel like the game has passed him by... he should be a stretch 4 today, but he doesn't rebound and can't really catch-and-shoot

he went from a great player in an ISO league to a homeless man's version of Robert Horry (meaning all of the flaws but none of the advantages)

He looked very old and slow when I watched him in the playoffs. He had his moments, of course, but he is clearly a limited player at this point.

To be honest, just getting the Bull's #2 might have been enough compensation for clearing him off the roster and allowing the offense to be more balanced, and the D to be quicker.

Melo has a player option next year...He would be a fool not to exercise it, and if he's smart, he will drop about 20lbs. If he goes on the market he's going to be disappointed.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
mythfaze
Member: #106
4/25/2018  3:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2018  3:32 PM
Nalod wrote:
mythfaze wrote:Phil unequivocally hurt Melo's trade value.

Do you think GM's on other teams care more about Phils words then what tape would tell them about Melo's game?
Teams employ scouts to watch other teams as well.
Then there is the contract.
You really think other teams were like "hey, I thought Melo was a team first win at all cost kind of guy who's body and ability defies age, but wow, Phil's saying Melo holds the ball too long and needs to move on if he want to win?, Wow, that's came as a shocking surprise!!!" We never would have seen there was anything but sugar plums and fairies in Melo's world!!!

No of course not.

But there is a reason agents will leak rumors to the press about teams being interested in signing or trading for their players: to drive up their stock. These things have an impact, even if it is just a marginal one.

So Phil's antics had an impact -- even if a small one -- on Melo's trade value.

A far more likely scenario is that after GMs watched Phil trash his own player, they all felt empowered to offer even less in a trade than they otherwise might have.

Why?

Cause Phil was going to have a real difficult time playing hardball with counteroffers right after he basically said publicly that his asset was only worth that bag of chips.

mlby1215
Member: #6486

4/25/2018  4:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2018  4:26 PM
Of course a lot of people they would, just like they are very silent about how Mills and Perry killing off any chance to trade away Noah by banishing him. Talking about his players' short coming is grave sin, but banishing away another very expensive player is totally okay. It could have been that Noah got traded away if he got the chance to prove he was still semi-okay nba player. At the end, damaging Melo's trading value is not important, it is just an excuse to disapprove how Phil talked bad about their favorite player Mr. Melo.
Is there anyone out there still claiming Phil hurt Melo's -cough- "trade value"?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy