[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

what did the knicks ACTUALLY get for Melo?
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/25/2018  8:46 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:When you are dealing with an aging star with an NTC, what we didnt get for Melo made this deal a winner. Perry pumped the brakes on trading Melo for long term baggage, and found a deal that got us one of the best low post players in the league, on a short term deal. If Bud gets the job, I will be interested in hearing what his views on Kanter are.
Well said. Melo will make 28 mil next year. Finding a destination that Melo would accept without taking back horrible contracts was a big win. Also, Olympic Melo appears to have left the building. OKC has a big salary on their cap with not much to show for it. I hope for Melo's sake they find away to get by the Jazz but I don't think they will.

The trade did nothing for us, we still sucked and are over the cap until 2019 the exact yr his contract expires.

The only reason I'm glad he's gone is to show that he had nothing to do with the losing culture, the trade solved nothing other than a "peace of mind".

It something for us. The knicks moved on. What ever MElo was he was part of the culture good and bad.
Him gone did nothing for you. That’s your own thing. The team’s identity changed. It’s culture changed. If you did or see it, it’d because you did not want to. If you measure it by wins and losses only its not apparent. Records do matter, but each losing season tells its own story. Does it not?

AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/25/2018  8:53 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:When you are dealing with an aging star with an NTC, what we didnt get for Melo made this deal a winner. Perry pumped the brakes on trading Melo for long term baggage, and found a deal that got us one of the best low post players in the league, on a short term deal. If Bud gets the job, I will be interested in hearing what his views on Kanter are.
Well said. Melo will make 28 mil next year. Finding a destination that Melo would accept without taking back horrible contracts was a big win. Also, Olympic Melo appears to have left the building. OKC has a big salary on their cap with not much to show for it. I hope for Melo's sake they find away to get by the Jazz but I don't think they will.

The trade did nothing for us, we still sucked and are over the cap until 2019 the exact yr his contract expires.

The only reason I'm glad he's gone is to show that he had nothing to do with the losing culture, the trade solved nothing other than a "peace of mind".

WTF were you expecting for an aging star with an NTC? Lets hear how Perry shoud have gotten more than one of the best low post scorer/rebounders in the league, on a tryout. And do it without adding long term crap.

Only 3 players in the league have an NTC, you make it sound like moving Melo's contract without mortgaging the future is done all the time. Perry cleaned up Phil's mess. Why you're whining about this outcome, given the circumstances is puzzling.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/25/2018  9:04 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

WTF were you expecting for an aging star with an NTC? Lets hear how Perry shoud have gotten more than one of the best low post scorer/rebounders in the league, on a tryout. And do it without adding long term crap.

Only 3 players in the league have an NTC, you make it sound like moving Melo's contract without mortgaging the future is done all the time. Perry cleaned up Phil's mess. Why you're whining about this outcome, given the circumstances is puzzling.

Lol, agree. If you need more context, see what presti can do with that deal this off-season. That deal will be tough to unload, even as an expiring.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
USA
4/25/2018  9:37 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Lol, agree. If you need more context, see what presti can do with that deal this off-season. That deal will be tough to unload, even as an expiring.

Presti seemingly had the team of the future with Durant, Ibaka, Westbrook and Harden and whittled it away over time.
I admire he went for it to bring in Paul George with just a year left on his deal.
As for Melo or any player into his mid 30’s, its hard for a team to pay max money and its hard to beat Father Time.

nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

4/25/2018  10:31 AM
That's what I'm saying, I'm not sure how everyone is so happy with how things have gone with Perry/Mills.
We spent crazy money on THj.
We traded Melo for basically a second round pick and Mudiay.

The Knicks were going to be in the same boat if they just bought him out. He would have likely given up his opt out year money. He would have been stretched, and we would have had more capspace last year. Perhaps could have added two longterm core assets through free agency instead of one in THj.

I wasn't against buying out Melo last year. Kanter played well for this team, but he's a good backup in today's league.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/25/2018  10:49 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:That's what I'm saying, I'm not sure how everyone is so happy with how things have gone with Perry/Mills.

The Knicks were going to be in the same boat if they just bought him out. He would have likely given up his opt out year money. He would have been stretched, and we would have had more capspace last year. Perhaps could have added two longterm core assets through free agency instead of one in THj.

I wasn't against buying out Melo last year. Kanter played well for this team, but he's a good backup in today's league.

this is all fake news. THjr was NOT crazy money, not at all. He was paid like a 2nd tier guy and while inconsistent and banged up produced well. He was paid like Evan Turner, Allan Crabbe, Kent Bazemore, etc and played better than all those guys.

As for bold that is laughable. Melo would walk away from an almost $30mm pay day next year? PA-LEEEZE. Dude's getting a divorce and loves money. You are making up numbers.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Cartman718
Member: #1694

4/25/2018  12:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2018  12:57 PM
Some fun-to-do math...
This year...Carmelo played 78 games and earned 26+ mill
That's 333K per game @ 16 points = 8 made shots to be generous = costing OKC roughly $40K per made shot.

Let's see the playoffs...
Anthony, 33, is 3-for-13 (23.1 percent) on three-pointers when defenders are within four to six feet of him during the postseason.
He is also 3-for-11 (27.3 percent) when defenders are more than six feet away from him when he has taken long-range attempts in the playoffs.

He has had more than 6.0 attempts per game from downtown that have either been open or wide open.

But he is averaging just 1.6 three-pointers per game on open attempts from downtown.

Anyone who still wants to argue what we got for Melo should probably go see a psychiatrist :)

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

4/25/2018  4:42 PM
Cartman718 wrote:Some fun-to-do math...
This year...Carmelo played 78 games and earned 26+ mill
That's 333K per game @ 16 points = 8 made shots to be generous = costing OKC roughly $40K per made shot.

Let's see the playoffs...
Anthony, 33, is 3-for-13 (23.1 percent) on three-pointers when defenders are within four to six feet of him during the postseason.
He is also 3-for-11 (27.3 percent) when defenders are more than six feet away from him when he has taken long-range attempts in the playoffs.

He has had more than 6.0 attempts per game from downtown that have either been open or wide open.

But he is averaging just 1.6 three-pointers per game on open attempts from downtown.

Anyone who still wants to argue what we got for Melo should probably go see a psychiatrist :)

Finally we got another team to starfukk to our benefit and people are stil whining. SMH
Losers gonna lose - Haters gonna hate

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/25/2018  4:58 PM
fishmike wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:That's what I'm saying, I'm not sure how everyone is so happy with how things have gone with Perry/Mills.

this is all fake news. THjr was NOT crazy money, not at all. He was paid like a 2nd tier guy and while inconsistent and banged up produced well. He was paid like Evan Turner, Allan Crabbe, Kent Bazemore, etc and played better than all those guys.

As for bold that is laughable. Melo would walk away from an almost $30mm pay day next year? PA-LEEEZE. Dude's getting a divorce and loves money. You are making up numbers.

Agree about fake news. I think Melo would have opted in and then pulled what Wade did in Chicago.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
meloshouldgo

4/25/2018  9:21 PM
1. Improved defense
2. Teamplay
3. More ball sharing
4. Absence of drama
5. With little or no impact to the Win column if you adjust for KP's injury

Someone posted the improved assists numbers and defense in the Hornacek thread

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/25/2018  9:38 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:1. Improved defense
2. Teamplay
3. More ball sharing
4. Absence of drama

Agree about Jeff's impact but some of that is Phil being gone and some of it is what Perry Mills wanted. I think you left out the biggest things though. Melo had a ntc, a 15 mil trade kicker, an almost max deal. He wasn't going to give any of that up to help Phil. The Knicks got Kamter, an early

Second round pick and as much as 28 mil off the cap next year.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/26/2018  10:01 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
2. Teamplay
3. More ball sharing
4. Absence of drama

Agree about Jeff's impact but some of that is Phil being gone and some of it is what Perry Mills wanted. I think you left out the biggest things though. Melo had a ntc, a 15 mil trade kicker, an almost max deal. He wasn't going to give any of that up to help Phil. The Knicks got Kamter, an early

this notion that MElo should have yielded a bunch of assets is laughable. Getting Kanter and much more flexibility and zero drama was a great move of the Knicks.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/26/2018  10:34 AM
2. Teamplay
3. More ball sharing
4. Absence of drama

what kind of drama did melo bring, phil was the dram queen.

2 yrs ago melo led the team in assist

we lead the league in assist when melo, kidd and priggs were on the team.

Phil,rambis, and JH was the biggest problem with the knicks

ES
Nalod
USA
4/26/2018  10:41 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
2. Teamplay
3. More ball sharing
4. Absence of drama

what kind of drama did melo bring, phil was the dram queen.

2 yrs ago melo led the team in assist

we lead the league in assist when melo, kidd and priggs were on the team.

Phil,rambis, and JH was the biggest problem with the knicks

You do realize you say the same shyt over and over, right?
But, how many years ago was that "Playoff team" that had one third of the team retire and you think Phil dismantled?
It was five years ago.
MeloDrama?
His entrance
Repelled MDA
Embraced the triangle, then repelled against it.
In his near MVP year, he became indignant in playoffs against Celtics.
Free agency.
Reality TV drama.
Very public wife split

I thought off the court he handled things very well. But in the end he was an on court diva.
BTW, they are all gone. But not MIlls!!!!
My only solace is that Mills is here and it bugs the crap out of you!

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/26/2018  10:42 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

perry didn't make that trade, mills did. Maybe Perry got Melo to add OKC, but even that had little impact considering Westbrook and paul worked out with Melo most of the summer and had been recruiting him.

My whole thing is, If a trade is not making my team better now and in the future, im not doing it to please a player. Fck melo, if he didn't want to suit up, they didn't have a problem sending a healthy noah home

ES
Nalod
USA
4/26/2018  10:47 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

perry didn't make that trade, mills did. Maybe Perry got Melo to add OKC, but even that had little impact considering Westbrook and paul worked out with Melo most of the summer and had been recruiting him.

My whole thing is, If a trade is not making my team better now and in the future, im not doing it to please a player. Fck melo, if he didn't want to suit up, they didn't have a problem sending a healthy noah home

Wow, you bend shyt to get to Mills.
How do you know Mills made the trade? Because they waited like 6 weeks after perry was hired?
You pivot to Noah to make a point? You think its good to have two players sitting it out for two more years? Damn near $40mil?
Melo works out in LA "all summer"? Really? Yes, Melo has a home in LA and PG and Westbrook live there. There was a recruit. So did Portland try.
Perry put knicks interests first. If we could cut Melo off the books we had done it in a heartbeat. Knicks had to take money back.

meloshouldgo

4/26/2018  1:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/26/2018  6:59 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
2. Teamplay
3. More ball sharing
4. Absence of drama

4 out of the 5 things I said had nothing to do with Phil or the size of Melo's contract or NTC.
Lack of all 5 things have been a constant for Melo's ENTIRE tenure with the knicks, before and during Phil years. Trying to spin this on Phil is retarded.
You and 1248 can do your rehash to your heart's content it means nothing.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
4/26/2018  10:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/26/2018  10:36 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772476-strapped-for-cash-not-so-fast-nba-teams-that-can-become-free-agent-
players

If Kanter ops out and KOQ does as well, and a few pieces fall in place, Knicks will have plenty to spent. Yet as the article says, if KP ain’t playing til year after next, do we really wanna shoot out load so to speak ? Sure would like Bamba, Frank, KP and a SF free agent like Middleton or Giannis. So that’s what we can get for Melo

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
4/27/2018  7:57 AM
what would you trade to get Melo now? A 1st rounder? No. A 2nd rounder? probably at best and try to unload dead cap.

He is NOT worth ANYTHING!!! He is a "NET NEGATIVE" for the TEAM.

NY got Kanter - who even if he opts out wants to stay in NY and McDermott who they turned into Mudiay. Mudiay has a lot to prove this season and is all of 23 years old. The book is not yet finished on him but admittedly its not looking great.

If Kanter resigns for a cap "friendly" contract, say 3/45, making him 29 when he is a a FA again, I think NY will have done GREAT for what they got for Melo. If Mudiay is a bust, so be it, so was Melo.

Nalod
USA
4/27/2018  8:46 AM
If Kanter opts out and Mudiay is a bust, we still moved on and not paying that now bloated salary.
If we did not give the NTC we got nothing in return if he walked. We got 7 years from him.
We are better to have moved forward as we went in a different direction. We did not take on other contracts.
what did the knicks ACTUALLY get for Melo?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy