[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Part II: Who is your pick for Knicks new coach.....

Author Poll
Nalod
Member: #508
USA
Took out some names that did not get votes or interview.
Removed JVG because it seems as if he is "out" accounting to some articles.
Budenholzer was included as was not previously.
Martin, please lock the old one and lets redo with this one going forward.
Budenholzer
Mark Jax
Stack
David Blatt
Fizdale
Woodson
Messina
View Results

Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/1/2018  12:55 PM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:No. 11
Mike Brown interviewed with Knicks.
Who do you hate, the guy that Lebron wanted gone or do you love the head assistant coach for GSW?
Did Blatt interview or not? Why would NY times writer say so, but a Turkish writer say not?
MIlwaukee will make a run for Bud, but they need to get this one right? Giannis has to be happy and the team has to succeed.
Not sure their talent is deep, GM was a compromise pick by two owners who could not decide. Is the team an investment for the Two NY based Hedge fund guys or do they love the team? Stable ownership is important if you have choices.
I like Bud. Im not expecting a miracle this year and we all know if so, the tarnish will appear. Media will see to it.
If Blatt is the guy, im sure some of you will go at the first sign of trouble do the "Mills is awful" thing.
If Stack is the guy the "Inexperienced thing" will happen.
If Fizdale is the coach and he has a problem with KP we'll blame him because he "can't get along with guys over seven feet".

Damn, you really want Blatt. Hasnt even been hired, and you're already making this about the fans.

No, I want Bud. I have three guys IM fine with, Bud, Blatt and Fizz. Sounds like a noise my stomach makes.
Im not just focused on one hire. There is no "my guy". Thus Im not going to be upset with knicks if they don't hire "My guy".
I don't just base my decisions on past performance. Fizz discord with Gasol does not bother me, nor does Blatt's with Lebron either.
Bud has no blemish's.

The thing is, from copious reporting, Blatt got on almost everybody's bad side, because he didnt understand, didnt believe he needed to understand, the NBA Player/Coach dynamic. Blatt didnt just PO LeBron, and the others followed like lemmings. They had they're own beefs with Blatt (sounds like a cooking show)

As Ive said before, we have an unusually strong slate of potential coaches this offseason. There were years in the past when Blatt would have been worth a shot. With Bud, and some other proven candidates available, I dont believe its now.

You dont replace a coach because he couldnt get along with his players (by mgmt and ownerships own reasoning) To hire someone who got along with them even less. Doesnt make sense.

Not sure using Blatt's experience with Lebron is fair to say he cant get along with players. It sounds like his mistake was catering to Lebron and at the end of the day he didnt respect Blatt and had him ousted.

I like Bud better but considering Blatt's success (and his W/L record in Cle) I cant say I would have a problem with hiring him.

Read it again fishmike

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
USA
5/1/2018  12:57 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Who do you hate, the guy that Lebron wanted gone or do you love the head assistant coach for GSW?
Did Blatt interview or not? Why would NY times writer say so, but a Turkish writer say not?
MIlwaukee will make a run for Bud, but they need to get this one right? Giannis has to be happy and the team has to succeed.
Not sure their talent is deep, GM was a compromise pick by two owners who could not decide. Is the team an investment for the Two NY based Hedge fund guys or do they love the team? Stable ownership is important if you have choices.
I like Bud. Im not expecting a miracle this year and we all know if so, the tarnish will appear. Media will see to it.
If Blatt is the guy, im sure some of you will go at the first sign of trouble do the "Mills is awful" thing.
If Fizdale is the coach and he has a problem with KP we'll blame him because he "can't get along with guys over seven feet".

Damn, you really want Blatt. Hasnt even been hired, and you're already making this about the fans.

No, I want Bud. I have three guys IM fine with, Bud, Blatt and Fizz. Sounds like a noise my stomach makes.
Im not just focused on one hire. There is no "my guy". Thus Im not going to be upset with knicks if they don't hire "My guy".
I don't just base my decisions on past performance. Fizz discord with Gasol does not bother me, nor does Blatt's with Lebron either.
Bud has no blemish's.

The thing is, from copious reporting, Blatt got on almost everybody's bad side, because he didnt understand, didnt believe he needed to understand, the NBA Player/Coach dynamic. Blatt didnt just PO LeBron, and the others followed like lemmings. They had they're own beefs with Blatt (sounds like a cooking show)

As Ive said before, we have an unusually strong slate of potential coaches this offseason. There were years when Blatt would have been worth a shot. With Bud, and some other proven candidates available, I dont believe its now.

You dont replace a coach because he couldnt get along with his players (by mgmt and ownerships own reasoning) To hire someone who got along with them even less. Doesnt make sense.

and there was some comments this week from an NBA exec who said it was no big deal. kyrie was said to really like the guy.
He might have been very adamant about defending his turf and as the coach you have to have your players in synch. Few coaches are prepared to coach Lebron and as an uber alpha he will take over, and its not a bad idea to give it to him.
Do you think this "Flaw" is not recognized to him? Do you think its possible for a coach to learn and grow from negative experinces?
These guys are not "Plug and play". The past cannot be replicated. Players are more predicatable based on Age parameters but a coach's success is predicted by circumstances of roster and talent constructions in synch with his system.
Since Knicks FO has not come from a "Tree" there is little to say how any of them will get along. For all we know Bud might want a lot of roster control to win now were knicks want a longer view. Milwaukee just made playoffs and is moving to a new arena. They might be more in synch with Buds objectives.
At the same time he might see that the roster around Giannis is flawed for a long run and needs to be rebooted, which puts knicks as a better long term choice.

GustavBahler

5/1/2018  1:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/1/2018  1:25 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Bud has no blemish's.

As Ive said before, we have an unusually strong slate of potential coaches this offseason. There were years when Blatt would have been worth a shot. With Bud, and some other proven candidates available, I dont believe its now.

and there was some comments this week from an NBA exec who said it was no big deal. kyrie was said to really like the guy.
He might have been very adamant about defending his turf and as the coach you have to have your players in synch. Few coaches are prepared to coach Lebron and as an uber alpha he will take over, and its not a bad idea to give it to him.
Do you think this "Flaw" is not recognized to him? Do you think its possible for a coach to learn and grow from negative experinces?
These guys are not "Plug and play". The past cannot be replicated. Players are more predicatable based on Age parameters but a coach's success is predicted by circumstances of roster and talent constructions in synch with his system.
Since Knicks FO has not come from a "Tree" there is little to say how any of them will get along. For all we know Bud might want a lot of roster control to win now were knicks want a longer view. Milwaukee just made playoffs and is moving to a new arena. They might be more in synch with Buds objectives.
At the same time he might see that the roster around Giannis is flawed for a long run and needs to be rebooted, which puts knicks as a better long term choice.

Not saying that Blatt is incapable of change. He admitted after the fact, that he found out the hard way that he knew nothing about the NBA.

What bothered me about that is he never felt he needed to. The team was more than LeBron, and Kyrie, have to get everyone on the same page.

The team is likely lotto bound next season. The Knicks would be going into the free agency in 2019, with a coach who would not only have to prove he can be successful in this league without (maybe) the GOAT, he would also have to prove he wont treat them like a bunch of high schoolers. Why would the Knicks put themselves through that when Bud is available and practically begging for the job?

If Blatt is hired, if Bud is passed on, as well as the other proven NBA coaches who know how to relate to and develop NBA talent, this entire search would have been one big publicity campaign so Mills can bring in his boy.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/1/2018  1:18 PM
I'm willing to bet Billy donovan gets added to our candidate list and I would definitely be interested in him if we miss out on Budenholzer
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/1/2018  2:11 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Bud has no blemish's.

As Ive said before, we have an unusually strong slate of potential coaches this offseason. There were years in the past when Blatt would have been worth a shot. With Bud, and some other proven candidates available, I dont believe its now.

Not sure using Blatt's experience with Lebron is fair to say he cant get along with players. It sounds like his mistake was catering to Lebron and at the end of the day he didnt respect Blatt and had him ousted.

I like Bud better but considering Blatt's success (and his W/L record in Cle) I cant say I would have a problem with hiring him.

Read it again fishmike

why
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
5/1/2018  3:44 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I'm willing to bet Billy donovan gets added to our candidate list and I would definitely be interested in him if we miss out on Budenholzer
I heard someone on nba radio saying that they didn't think Presti would fire him because he let Brooks go to hire him. Donovan was great in college. I think he is in a tough spot coaching Westbrook. Speculation on twitter is that George is leaving OKC.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
USA
5/1/2018  4:21 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Bud has no blemish's.

Not saying that Blatt is incapable of change. He admitted after the fact, that he found out the hard way that he knew nothing about the NBA.

What bothered me about that is he never felt he needed to. The team was more than LeBron, and Kyrie, have to get everyone on the same page.

The team is likely lotto bound next season. The Knicks would be going into the free agency in 2019, with a coach who would not only have to prove he can be successful in this league without (maybe) the GOAT, he would also have to prove he wont treat them like a bunch of high schoolers. Why would the Knicks put themselves through that when Bud is available and practically begging for the job?

If Blatt is hired, if Bud is passed on, as well as the other proven NBA coaches who know how to relate to and develop NBA talent, this entire search would have been one big publicity campaign so Mills can bring in his boy.

I can't imagine a scenario where you'd think differently. Blatt was successful in his year and a half. The team also had massive injury problems yet still cobbled together a run. Lebron still makes out the lineups for the Cav's. I don't argue blatt was the wrong guy for that job. He was not hired to coach Lebron. He was hired to coach Bennett, Wiggins, Kyrie, etc............He would have been given a year to adapt.
"Mills Boy" is a valid hire.
Personally I'd rather have Bud. But given Blatt was always in play, and I mentioned this last summer because he was linked with Mills I have read up on the guy. YOu want to hang on to his Cav's mistep and affiliation with Mills, I doubt I can convince you otherwise. Im trying to be open minded.
If the 11 I can't say Kenny smith or Mark Jax would be on my list, but there were 9 others I can run with.
BTW, In my world I like working with people I have history with but there is one caveat:
They have to be qualified!!!!!
I know more about them and their character. This is the big one.....Ready.....
If you think Mills ass is not on the line your wrong. Nepotism hire an unqualified hire looks bad. Really bad. Mills legacy would be tarnished. If he has any doubts about Blatt he should not hire him. Bud is safe.
Oh, we don't know if Bud is actually available. Knicks his first choice but that can all change in a moment..

CrushAlot
USA
5/1/2018  5:18 PM
Heard an interesting take on the locked on podcast. The guest suggested that some of the interviews may have been for the lead assistant (I.e. Fix dale/Howard).
GustavBahler

5/1/2018  6:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/1/2018  6:23 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Bud has no blemish's.

I can't imagine a scenario where you'd think differently. Blatt was successful in his year and a half. The team also had massive injury problems yet still cobbled together a run. Lebron still makes out the lineups for the Cav's. I don't argue blatt was the wrong guy for that job. He was not hired to coach Lebron. He was hired to coach Bennett, Wiggins, Kyrie, etc............He would have been given a year to adapt.
"Mills Boy" is a valid hire.
Personally I'd rather have Bud. But given Blatt was always in play, and I mentioned this last summer because he was linked with Mills I have read up on the guy. YOu want to hang on to his Cav's mistep and affiliation with Mills, I doubt I can convince you otherwise. Im trying to be open minded.
If the 11 I can't say Kenny smith or Mark Jax would be on my list, but there were 9 others I can run with.
BTW, In my world I like working with people I have history with but there is one caveat:
They have to be qualified!!!!!
I know more about them and their character. This is the big one.....Ready.....
If you think Mills ass is not on the line your wrong. Nepotism hire an unqualified hire looks bad. Really bad. Mills legacy would be tarnished. If he has any doubts about Blatt he should not hire him. Bud is safe.
Oh, we don't know if Bud is actually available. Knicks his first choice but that can all change in a moment..

Only one scenario here. Person who has been arguably the worst exec in NBA history. Who was unable latch on to another team after a disastrous run in NY, has maybe the best choice of coaches to choose from in years.

Does he pick the best choice available, or the choice that makes him the most comfortable?

I dont care how many championships Blatt has won in other countries. Blatt making the fuss you are about it is what did him in. Its what he did in the NBA which was acting like he had nothing to learn, because he already knew everything about basketball.

You're damned right I will pass on that for a coach with a track record in this league, where the players dont mutiny.

I dont want to see a coach with that rep (and Blatt earned that rep) to be enabled by the king of all enablers, Steve Mills.

You might have been able to make a case that Mills wouldnt get another chance the last time he was fired. Dolan brought him back so he could show those executive smarts you dont stop touting, so he could sign Chris Smith.

Mills has an opportunity to redeem himself as an NBA exec, as part of the Knicks,.to bring in a coach who will get FAs interested in coming here. Dont want 2019 to pass without acquiring talent because no one who can make a difference wants to play here.

We have to watch the news and see this old boys club BS every day. Would like to be able to watch the Knicks again without seeing the same thing for a change.

Nalod
USA
5/1/2018  6:42 PM
Mills first stint he was not an NBA executive.
He was MSG President.
GustavBahler

5/1/2018  6:56 PM
Nalod wrote:Mills first stint he was not an NBA executive.
He was MSG President.

Like arguing about what kind of tree flattened your house, the result is the same.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/1/2018  8:27 PM
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
5/1/2018  8:31 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Have they fired Prunti?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/1/2018  9:03 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Have they fired Prunti?

It seems that all beat writers have to go on is speculation. Say whatever you want, but this process has been relatively tight. There have been a few strategically placed leaks, but that's it. Perry and Mills seem to be in synch.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler

5/1/2018  9:06 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

If it is true, Mills gave Bud all the time he needed to find another team to coach.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/1/2018  10:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/1/2018  10:10 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Bud has no blemish's.

I am in this camp...Want no parts of Blatt. Fiz is/was my number one guy until Bud became available. With that said, Bud would be an idiot to turn down the Bucks roster for ours. I think he and the Bucks are a forgone conclusion...We need to just lock up Fiz and get this thing rolling.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

5/2/2018  7:49 AM
I would go with Stackhouse because I don't think we a shot at Budenholzer
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
fwk00
Member: #6048

5/2/2018  8:13 AM
Marv Albert
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
5/2/2018  8:19 AM
If Bondy is right blame the overboard effort to interview everyone. Bud is the right guy but we will end up with Fitz unless he packs up to Orlando. If he does we are stuck w Blatt. Maybe Mills played it this way to Bud would go Bucks and Fitz to Orlando so Blatt would be next in line. That’s a sad commentary if true.
Nalod
USA
5/2/2018  10:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/2/2018  11:09 AM
Paris907 wrote:If Bondy is right blame the overboard effort to interview everyone. Bud is the right guy but we will end up with Fitz unless he packs up to Orlando. If he does we are stuck w Blatt. Maybe Mills played it this way to Bud would go Bucks and Fitz to Orlando so Blatt would be next in line. That’s a sad commentary if true.

Interesting conspiracy.
My take:
Punty in Milwaukee was still coaching and it would be inappropriate as it is so written in the coaching fraternity for another coach to comment on a job when there is someone still employed.
We did not get a direct quote that Bud's no. 1 desire was NY. Also when he interviewed Milwaukee was still playing. So we don't know if Bucks would be Buds preferred landing place or not, but we jump to Mills/Blatt because knicks have mucked up everything for so long we just get angry even before we are disappointed!
Mills/Blatt has to be toxic because Mills was MSG president overseeing knicks/Rangers/Liberty/Arena/Radiocity/etc etc while Isiah Thomas was president of the NEW YORK KNICKS?
I don't mind hating on guys that deserve it but we seem to lop in many things on Mills.
As president he was complicit in the Anucha Brown Sanders debacle from a corporate while Isiah got an extension.
Nalod will root for the success of who ever the knicks hire and if the time comes that a mistake was made and need be reconciled then so be it.
I will not hold Milwaukees dysfunction as validation knicks are correct or not. Same for Orlando.
At this moment in time knicks have a very bright front office in synch with each other and looking to make a coaching hire of the same concept.
What we don't have is a track record of success to validate decisions.
For those who hate Mills should not like any decision he makes. Snap, crackle or Pop. Budd, Blatt or Fizz.
I suppose if Blatt was not a Princeton guy would some be thinking otherwise?
Again, I prefer Bud but I don't know the ramifications of Milwaukee entering the fray. Bud if he was smart would have waited for them for an interview. Its just plain good business. They are a playoff team, good roster and worth hearing the pitch. Blame Mills for that? That's just blind hate. Your prerogative to do so.
Waiting for Fizz to go to Orlando so they can sneak in Blatt because they are friends? Is that how its done now? That how multi billion dollar assets are managed now?
If so, I'd fire Mills.
My hope is Perry and the staff have input to this decision to balance the divisive nature by detractors of Mills.

Part II: Who is your pick for Knicks new coach.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy