[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Part II: Who is your pick for Knicks new coach.....

Author Poll
Nalod
Member: #508
USA
Took out some names that did not get votes or interview.
Removed JVG because it seems as if he is "out" accounting to some articles.
Budenholzer was included as was not previously.
Martin, please lock the old one and lets redo with this one going forward.
Budenholzer
Mark Jax
Stack
David Blatt
Fizdale
Woodson
Messina
View Results

Author Thread
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/23/2018  11:35 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2018  11:36 AM
this is subject to change, because new candidates keep emerging...

that said, I voted Budenholzer. I think he's been really good. I think he can develop players. I think he is defense first. He came from the Spurs. Most importantly, He seems to actually want to be the Knicks head coach.

Last week Fizdale would have gotten my vote.

During the season, Messina would have gotten my vote.

If I could force anyone to be the Knicks head coach it would be Jay Wright.

Also, I am hoping Toronto implodes against Washington because I would be thrilled with Dwane Casey

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
USA
4/23/2018  11:45 AM
Truth be told, outside of Mark Jax I'd be fine with anyone on that list.

Budenholzer, Blatt, Fizz are my top picks.
Stack would be next. Perhaps the allure of freshness surrounds him.
Messina has the euro cool. Curious if he lands in Charlotte with ties to Kupchek.
Woodson got the Nod from Larry Brown, from his tree. Would not be a bad thing but not high on my list.
Sorry, I forgot to put Kenny Smith on the list. I like Kenny but he has not coached before.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/23/2018  12:03 PM
Still hoping JVG gets the nod.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/23/2018  12:22 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:this is subject to change, because new candidates keep emerging...

that said, I voted Budenholzer. I think he's been really good. I think he can develop players. I think he is defense first. He came from the Spurs. Most importantly, He seems to actually want to be the Knicks head coach.

Last week Fizdale would have gotten my vote.

During the season, Messina would have gotten my vote.

If I could force anyone to be the Knicks head coach it would be Jay Wright.

Also, I am hoping Toronto implodes against Washington because I would be thrilled with Dwane Casey

Coach Bud is my first choice as well. Atlanta's offense seemed to be organized and he puts players in positions to win. He got career years out of Korver when the dude was in his 30s. Imagine the offense he could build with KP. Less iso, more ball movement and, hopefully, more threes. Also, a good example of how you can still incorporate triangle aspects into a modern NBA offense.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
4/23/2018  12:30 PM
I think Budenholzer is the right choice. HE did wonders with an Atlanta team that is not as good as they performed, IMO.

Compensation question is the only issue. A 1st is a tough call for a team trying to rebuild.

Also THJr really got his game togehter under him. Defense first coach is great!!

nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/23/2018  12:36 PM
i am all in on budenholzer. he did a fantastic job with the hawks, those teams weren't exactly oozing with talent. i like the fact that he wants to take on the challenge of coaching here and his history with the spurs also is a big positive. lets go get this guy.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/23/2018  12:41 PM
Bud is a sure thing. The only question is the price needed to trade for him.

With Bud you know the player development will be on point. You know Thjr will play his best bball. Frank & KP will reach the next level.

You could take a shot at Khrie Thomas and expect the development necessary for him to become a stud 2-way PG. Or Mikal and expect him to develop his offensive arsenal.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/23/2018  12:57 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Bud is a sure thing. The only question is the price needed to trade for him.

With Bud you know the player development will be on point. You know Thjr will play his best bball. Frank & KP will reach the next level.

You could take a shot at Khrie Thomas and expect the development necessary for him to become a stud 2-way PG. Or Mikal and expect him to develop his offensive arsenal.

apparently the hawks don't want to pay him, since they are looking at some lean years coming up. i dont think the compensation will be of the draft pick variety, i think if the knicks send some money back the hawks way they'll consider it a done deal.

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Chandler
Member: #6197

4/23/2018  12:59 PM
Budenholzer

Atlanta is in a bit of a pickle if reports are true that Bud wants NY

Are they going to keep him with Atlanta when he doesn't want to be there; will other teams offer more than cash, and if so does he want to go anyplace else

(5)(5)
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

4/23/2018  1:26 PM
Bud
Stack
Fitz
Blatt
Nalod
USA
4/23/2018  1:34 PM
nyk4ever wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Bud is a sure thing. The only question is the price needed to trade for him.

apparently the hawks don't want to pay him, since they are looking at some lean years coming up. i dont think the compensation will be of the draft pick variety, i think if the knicks send some money back the hawks way they'll consider it a done deal.

I read the same thing this morning. Apparently Hawks letting him go and asking for compensation would be petty.
I realize there is a history and the old "2nd round pick to be determined" might not be awful. This is not college ball, can't have coaching jumping around if under contract.
I realize there is dynamic with a new ownership in place. If so, let the man walk. I think by letting him interview they painted themselves into a corner.
They should be happy they don't have to buy him out!!!

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/23/2018  1:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2018  1:35 PM
Chandler wrote:Budenholzer

Are they going to keep him with Atlanta when he doesn't want to be there; will other teams offer more than cash, and if so does he want to go anyplace else

Did you catch the part were he said he is not interested in "THE PROCESS" which is currently the philosophy the ATL and PHOENIX as now adapt.

Not sure what to take on that

ES
tj23
Member: #3119

4/23/2018  1:46 PM
I like a lot of the candidates but Budenholzer is the clear choice to me
smackeddog
Member: #883
4/23/2018  1:46 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Still hoping JVG gets the nod.

It appears we don't want him. Dolan's comments seemed to be aimed at him (complaining about old school coaches). I think he could end up with the Bucks- would be a nice fit for him.

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/23/2018  1:51 PM
Yup, Budenholzer for me too (unless we have to give up picks)- ticks all the boxes: player development for young players, getting the most out of vets, smart, good coaching pedigree (Spurs), got teams to over achieve.
Nalod
USA
4/23/2018  2:33 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Did you catch the part were he said he is not interested in "THE PROCESS" which is currently the philosophy the ATL and PHOENIX as now adapt.

Remember its not first person so don't base your impression unless he is directly quoted.
My take on it ATL is content to reduce expenses and rebuild via draft. It was read that ATL is not even trying where knicks are trying to win games.
Sounds like Coach Bud don't play that Tank thing.
For Knick fans of the Tank should be aware. He liked that knicks did not tank. Not sure what the suns are about that he walked from or perhaps was not given the keys to the franchise. Suns have some nice picks and yoot.
Knicks appear to have yoot and vets to help them.
Atl let Horford and THjr walk. Rather than build on success new ownership is rebooting. That's their prerogative but when you pay a man 7mm to coach and contruct the roster, then strip that power away it seems like time just time to kiss and say goodbye.

Chandler

4/23/2018  2:39 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

I like it. A coach should want to go 82-0 and hate losing.

Look there are a lot of teams that are chronically stuck at the bottom -- always drafting early and they still suck
Likewise, there are teams that draft later and still find gems

SO yes who wouldn't want to draft later and have more choice, but it seems pretty clear to me the bigger priority is getting a FO which knows how to spot talent (even in 2d round) and a coach who is smart -- the smarter the better

(5)(5)
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/23/2018  2:40 PM
just went looking for info on Budenholzer - bit of a fluff piece, but I am sold:

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/shaun_powell/02/04/nba-all-star-2015-mike-budenholzer-atlanta-hawks-feature-all-star-eastern-conference-coach/

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/23/2018  2:45 PM
Nalod would be the first to agree that Budenholzer is a better choice than Blatt. He is a very good coach who wants to be here. Made it very clear. Supposed to be a great teacher, but runs a tight ship. Im sure Timmy would be psyched, had nothing but good things to say about his old coach.
Chandler

4/23/2018  3:04 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Nalod would be the first to agree that Budenholzer is a better choice than Blatt. He is a very good coach who wants to be here. Made it very clear. Supposed to be a great teacher, but runs a tight ship. Im sure Timmy would be psyched, had nothing but good things to say about his old coach.

17+million good things to say

(5)(5)
Part II: Who is your pick for Knicks new coach.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy