Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/12/2018  10:59 AM
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
Paris907 wrote:His surgeon, David Altchek, is a personal friend and did surgery on me as well. He says there were no complications, no cartilage issues. All mechanics. He says there is a lot of work ahead for KP and he will be well served to avoid 2018-2019 as we ain’t going nowhere.

Wow, thanks for the info Paris907

Since this was such a simple tear with no extra damage, i would think he would recover very quickly and be ready soon after the season starts. What am i missing?

the time it takes for the connective tissue to properly heal, which is regarded as 9-12mos.

I had my ALC replaced (patella tendon graf, no cadaver), MCL stitched and meniscus stitched when my knee was reconstructed at age 22. I played baseball for 15 years after that. During rehab, the doc warned me around 5-6 months things would start feeling good. Strength will come back. Muscles will come back. Flexibility will come back. DONT push it. The ALC is not strong enough to bear the weight of sports movements and can snap during this phase. During that 6-9 month period its light running on straight lines and absolutly no cutting. Mostly bike and pool work with light weights focused on repeating motions.

Its not a case of working through pain to get back faster. You cant speed this process up.

http://swistakchiro.com/why-do-ligament-and-tendon-injuries-take-so-long-to-heal/

AUTOADVERT
Gudris
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6213

6/12/2018  11:44 AM
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
Paris907 wrote:His surgeon, David Altchek, is a personal friend and did surgery on me as well. He says there were no complications, no cartilage issues. All mechanics. He says there is a lot of work ahead for KP and he will be well served to avoid 2018-2019 as we ain’t going nowhere.

Since this was such a simple tear with no extra damage, i would think he would recover very quickly and be ready soon after the season starts. What am i missing?

the time it takes for the connective tissue to properly heal, which is regarded as 9-12mos.

I had my ALC replaced (patella tendon graf, no cadaver), MCL stitched and meniscus stitched when my knee was reconstructed at age 22. I played baseball for 15 years after that. During rehab, the doc warned me around 5-6 months things would start feeling good. Strength will come back. Muscles will come back. Flexibility will come back. DONT push it. The ALC is not strong enough to bear the weight of sports movements and can snap during this phase. During that 6-9 month period its light running on straight lines and absolutly no cutting. Mostly bike and pool work with light weights focused on repeating motions.

Its not a case of working through pain to get back faster. You cant speed this process up.

http://swistakchiro.com/why-do-ligament-and-tendon-injuries-take-so-long-to-heal/

In latest episode, he mentions he can miss all season!!!

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/12/2018  11:57 AM
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

Not saying to speed it up. Just saying that if guys are typically coming back in 9-12 months, then he would in theory be in the faster end of this.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/12/2018  1:23 PM
Gudris wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

that would be best. Look at Embiid etc... wait and get him healthy. A step back for the Knicks again next year isnt a bad thing. Come back loaded up with KP, a lottery pick and possible a FA.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/12/2018  3:46 PM
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

Great info. My brother in law had the same surgery and it ended his career as an athelete. He was in his mid thirties but had been a very good athelete and continued playing in different leagues after college. Glad you had a better outcome and I agree that best practice appears to have him sit out the year.
You playTrey Burke... Wally Szcerbiak
Juliano
Member: #7589

6/13/2018  11:39 AM
Paris907 wrote:His surgeon, ***** ********, is a personal friend and did surgery on me as well. He says there were no complications, no cartilage issues. All mechanics. He says there is a lot of work ahead for KP and he will be well served to avoid 2018-2019 as we ain’t going nowhere.

Maybe you should avoid posting the guy's name on a forum. Couldn't that be seen as breaching doctor/patient confidentiality? Well I doubt he'd go into too much trouble, but if he really is a friend of yours he might not be best pleased with it.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/13/2018  11:52 AM
Dont call it a comeback...
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/13/2018  11:12 PM
fishmike wrote:
Gudris wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

that would be best. Look at Embiid etc... wait and get him healthy. A step back for the Knicks again next year isnt a bad thing. Come back loaded up with KP, a lottery pick and possible a FA.

Why rush him back, the best we could hope for is losing in the first round. Let him heal, play a young lineup, get a top 5 pick, try to get rid of Hardaway jr.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Porzingis ComeBack

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.