Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/12/2018  10:59 AM
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
Paris907 wrote:His surgeon, David Altchek, is a personal friend and did surgery on me as well. He says there were no complications, no cartilage issues. All mechanics. He says there is a lot of work ahead for KP and he will be well served to avoid 2018-2019 as we ain’t going nowhere.

Wow, thanks for the info Paris907

Since this was such a simple tear with no extra damage, i would think he would recover very quickly and be ready soon after the season starts. What am i missing?

the time it takes for the connective tissue to properly heal, which is regarded as 9-12mos.

I had my ALC replaced (patella tendon graf, no cadaver), MCL stitched and meniscus stitched when my knee was reconstructed at age 22. I played baseball for 15 years after that. During rehab, the doc warned me around 5-6 months things would start feeling good. Strength will come back. Muscles will come back. Flexibility will come back. DONT push it. The ALC is not strong enough to bear the weight of sports movements and can snap during this phase. During that 6-9 month period its light running on straight lines and absolutly no cutting. Mostly bike and pool work with light weights focused on repeating motions.

Its not a case of working through pain to get back faster. You cant speed this process up.

http://swistakchiro.com/why-do-ligament-and-tendon-injuries-take-so-long-to-heal/

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Gudris
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6213

6/12/2018  11:44 AM
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
Paris907 wrote:His surgeon, David Altchek, is a personal friend and did surgery on me as well. He says there were no complications, no cartilage issues. All mechanics. He says there is a lot of work ahead for KP and he will be well served to avoid 2018-2019 as we ain’t going nowhere.

Since this was such a simple tear with no extra damage, i would think he would recover very quickly and be ready soon after the season starts. What am i missing?

the time it takes for the connective tissue to properly heal, which is regarded as 9-12mos.

I had my ALC replaced (patella tendon graf, no cadaver), MCL stitched and meniscus stitched when my knee was reconstructed at age 22. I played baseball for 15 years after that. During rehab, the doc warned me around 5-6 months things would start feeling good. Strength will come back. Muscles will come back. Flexibility will come back. DONT push it. The ALC is not strong enough to bear the weight of sports movements and can snap during this phase. During that 6-9 month period its light running on straight lines and absolutly no cutting. Mostly bike and pool work with light weights focused on repeating motions.

Its not a case of working through pain to get back faster. You cant speed this process up.

http://swistakchiro.com/why-do-ligament-and-tendon-injuries-take-so-long-to-heal/

In latest episode, he mentions he can miss all season!!!

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/12/2018  11:57 AM
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

Not saying to speed it up. Just saying that if guys are typically coming back in 9-12 months, then he would in theory be in the faster end of this.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/12/2018  1:23 PM
Gudris wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

that would be best. Look at Embiid etc... wait and get him healthy. A step back for the Knicks again next year isnt a bad thing. Come back loaded up with KP, a lottery pick and possible a FA.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/12/2018  3:46 PM
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

Great info. My brother in law had the same surgery and it ended his career as an athelete. He was in his mid thirties but had been a very good athelete and continued playing in different leagues after college. Glad you had a better outcome and I agree that best practice appears to have him sit out the year.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Juliano
Member: #7589

6/13/2018  11:39 AM
Paris907 wrote:His surgeon, ***** ********, is a personal friend and did surgery on me as well. He says there were no complications, no cartilage issues. All mechanics. He says there is a lot of work ahead for KP and he will be well served to avoid 2018-2019 as we ain’t going nowhere.

Maybe you should avoid posting the guy's name on a forum. Couldn't that be seen as breaching doctor/patient confidentiality? Well I doubt he'd go into too much trouble, but if he really is a friend of yours he might not be best pleased with it.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/13/2018  11:52 AM
Dont call it a comeback...
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/13/2018  11:12 PM
fishmike wrote:
Gudris wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

that would be best. Look at Embiid etc... wait and get him healthy. A step back for the Knicks again next year isnt a bad thing. Come back loaded up with KP, a lottery pick and possible a FA.

Why rush him back, the best we could hope for is losing in the first round. Let him heal, play a young lineup, get a top 5 pick, try to get rid of Hardaway jr.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Gudris
Member: #6213

7/29/2018  3:49 PM
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
7/29/2018  5:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/29/2018  5:59 PM
nixluva wrote:
martin wrote:

I think the main issue is that KP wasn’t really in the best condition BEFORE the injury. The Doc is probably thinking about the time needed to address areas of weakness in KP’s body and relearning how to jump and land properly etc. They need to fix KP’s body so to speak. I think he could come back and play but to fully address his underlying issues will take longer.

I hope you're right.

Maybe he's changed his lifestyle and diet now and that very well help prevent injury.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/29/2018  8:48 PM
PresIke wrote:
nixluva wrote:
martin wrote:

I think the main issue is that KP wasn’t really in the best condition BEFORE the injury. The Doc is probably thinking about the time needed to address areas of weakness in KP’s body and relearning how to jump and land properly etc. They need to fix KP’s body so to speak. I think he could come back and play but to fully address his underlying issues will take longer.

I hope you're right.

Maybe he's changed his lifestyle and diet now and that very well help prevent injury.

what do we know of him that would make you think he was not in good shape, good diet, etc? The kid is anemic. To what degree and how it would effect his body is not exactly public knowledge.
Kid was playing at a very high level and tends to over do it. Finding a pace perhaps is the right balance. He tended to over train. Score 21 and 8 rebs in the best league and an allstar is not an indication he is out of shape and not making good choices.

alwaysaknick
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #5711

7/30/2018  2:32 AM
I hope him stronger, not otherwise.
Nalod
USA
7/30/2018  8:30 AM
The video was good and confirms what we have all seen: the kid is 7’3 and moves like a SF which is new ground for the basketball fans. It presented problems from day one. Easy to say what he needs to do to stay healthy but his instincts can’t be just shut off. I have never seen this package in a player before. I’m sure players like Ralph Sampson had this but he was not allowed to play “small” and he broke down from bad back.
He has no ceiling or a box to classify him.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/30/2018  9:08 AM
Nalod wrote:The video was good and confirms what we have all seen: the kid is 7'3 and moves like a SF which is new ground for the basketball fans. It presented problems from day one. Easy to say what he needs to do to stay healthy but his instincts can't be just shut off. I have never seen this package in a player before. I'm sure players like Ralph Sampson had this but he was not allowed to play “small” and he broke down from bad back.

Every time I see KP, I see Ralph Sampson. I think the big difference is today's game accommodates and encourages the big player that can shoot from outside.

It wasn't just back issues that did him in - it started with a knee injury:

Sampson hurt his left knee during the 1986-87 season but instead of staying on the sidelines he rushed his rehab and played on the bad knee. Sampson told NBA TV recently that he had very little cartilage in his left knee and his decision to return too soon proved to be an epic mistake. His game suffered from it and eventually curtailed his promising career.

“I should have been out for a year but came back after eight weeks because I wanted to play the game of basketball and the sport that I love,” Sampson said. “I probably came back a little too early, but we had a chance to go back to The Finals with the team we had, and I wanted to go back with my teammates.”

Sampson was never the same after his knee gave out. He started having back issues as well and because his body was breaking down his confidence began to sag too.

http://onemanfastbreak.net/the-big-hurt-how-injuries-destroyed-ralph-sampsons-hall-of-fame-career/

I hope our medical staff doesn't screw this up like they have historically done. Remember Phil wanted to bring in new medical staff, and Dolan vetod?

The Mets and Knicks must share medical in-experts because both have constantly messed things up.

Nalod
USA
7/30/2018  10:18 AM
franco12 wrote:
Nalod wrote:The video was good and confirms what we have all seen: the kid is 7'3 and moves like a SF which is new ground for the basketball fans. It presented problems from day one. Easy to say what he needs to do to stay healthy but his instincts can't be just shut off. I have never seen this package in a player before. I'm sure players like Ralph Sampson had this but he was not allowed to play “small” and he broke down from bad back.

Every time I see KP, I see Ralph Sampson. I think the big difference is today's game accommodates and encourages the big player that can shoot from outside.

Sampson hurt his left knee during the 1986-87 season but instead of staying on the sidelines he rushed his rehab and played on the bad knee. Sampson told NBA TV recently that he had very little cartilage in his left knee and his decision to return too soon proved to be an epic mistake. His game suffered from it and eventually curtailed his promising career.

“I should have been out for a year but came back after eight weeks because I wanted to play the game of basketball and the sport that I love,” Sampson said. “I probably came back a little too early, but we had a chance to go back to The Finals with the team we had, and I wanted to go back with my teammates.”

Sampson was never the same after his knee gave out. He started having back issues as well and because his body was breaking down his confidence began to sag too.

http://onemanfastbreak.net/the-big-hurt-how-injuries-destroyed-ralph-sampsons-hall-of-fame-career/

I hope our medical staff doesn't screw this up like they have historically done. Remember Phil wanted to bring in new medical staff, and Dolan vetod?

The Mets and Knicks must share medical in-experts because both have constantly messed things up.

There is little evidence our medical staff is lacking in any way. Its been years since we had any chronic misdisagnosis. AMare was a mess when he came in.
Melo was fine and returned from his injuries and procedures very well.
KP also has his own process that is more transparent than most. We don't see what Frank is doing. For that matter Timmy is not posting video's or filming a comeback series so we don't know. Timmy did elevate his game and took his training far more serious after demoted to Gleague a few years back.
KP has a big reputation as a hard worker off season and if anything was told to slow down in season training to sustain energy. He has a big frame and will fill it out over time but for now he (as said on video) has to stay light on his feet until the knee gets stronger.
Fans are quick to say they want him to post lower, not be as active, etc but I just don't know how you dial back a player.
What I saw last year KP twisting his ankle (I thought he broke it live) going for a ball in the corner out of bounds. I saw Timmy pushing the game many times. These guys if surrounded by more talent can defer and learn to let the game come to them a bit. Part of the learning curve is learning to be "the man", but also knowing "WHEN" to be it too.
Half of mudiay's problem at times seemingly is him pushing to prove his game. He is under a lot of stress and wants to promote his career again. Fact is if the talent is there the game has to come to him but he has to do other things.
We forget these young guys can come apart at the seems under the weight of expectations and proving themselves. Mudiay has physical tools and needs refinement in his fundamentals and more important a better feel for the game. Easy to say, much harder to actually do it.

Nalod
USA
7/30/2018  2:56 PM
Funny, I'd feel better if he was wearing knicks "garb" to do his rehab in. I get there are sponsors involved but still.......
I get why he wants to be away from the noise of ny. Which the draft, coaching hiring process, summer league, etc there are a ton of distractions. In Spain he can dilute the noise a bit. Even the time zone change helps. He can't disappear ever at his height but at least its somewhat a more controlled environment.
I don't know KP or what he was looking for so Im just giving an opinon.
We'll max him and he knows he can have the extension now or by waiting team has 10mm more to spend. I gather knicks will give him the choice but they would have to have assurances we'll honor that. If medical staff and standing medical community thinks he makes a good recovery you make that investment.
PresIke
USA
7/30/2018  4:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/30/2018  4:11 PM
Nalod wrote:
PresIke wrote:
nixluva wrote:
martin wrote:

I hope you're right.

what do we know of him that would make you think he was not in good shape, good diet, etc? The kid is anemic. To what degree and how it would effect his body is not exactly public knowledge.
Kid was playing at a very high level and tends to over do it. Finding a pace perhaps is the right balance. He tended to over train. Score 21 and 8 rebs in the best league and an allstar is not an indication he is out of shape and not making good choices.

My take from watching part 2 and 3 of was that the woman who is cooking for him seems like a new addition to his life, and made it sound like she's changed his diet to vegan/high protein baeed. There are still well regarded nutritionists and functional medicine folks who say consuming organic meats (6 oz. servings) and grass fed beef (not too frequent) can still be positive for overall health there is evidence that many of us eat too much meat, refined sugars and white carbs that tend to break down into sugar (white potatoes & rice being the biggest culprit) and processed foods.

In European soccer, some big name managers have imposed changes to their players' diets, (no pizza, less meat, much less white rice - which for big name players from Argentina/Brazil that can be a big shift in diet. It's shown to have a real impact on physical well being and affect propensity for injuries, particularly muscle injuries, I believe.

Also, the exercises he is engaging in seem to be new to KP and are about strengthening and providing flexibility to muscles, etc. he probably had not been working out as much with just his personal trainer/brother (?).

I missed the first episode, but did it come out he was anemic?

PresIke
USA
7/30/2018  4:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/30/2018  4:10 PM
franco12 wrote:

I hate to say this, but I've had these worries as well.

The good news is we know FAR more about health, diet, training, etc. and I believe more injuries can be prevented. Players like KP can utilize all of the newer ideas in sports science and health to keep him fitter than the past. One challenge, however, is that players in pro sports everywhere now are far more athletic and physically strong so the pace and intensity of the game is higher in ways, even if the kind of physical play that was once allowed in a lot of sports is either gone, or decreasing.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/30/2018  4:57 PM
PresIke wrote:
Nalod wrote:
PresIke wrote:
nixluva wrote:
martin wrote:

I hope you're right.

My take from watching part 2 and 3 of was that the woman who is cooking for him seems like a new addition to his life, and made it sound like she's changed his diet to vegan/high protein baeed. There are still well regarded nutritionists and functional medicine folks who say consuming organic meats (6 oz. servings) and grass fed beef (not too frequent) can still be positive for overall health there is evidence that many of us eat too much meat, refined sugars and white carbs that tend to break down into sugar (white potatoes & rice being the biggest culprit) and processed foods.

In European soccer, some big name managers have imposed changes to their players' diets, (no pizza, less meat, much less white rice - which for big name players from Argentina/Brazil that can be a big shift in diet. It's shown to have a real impact on physical well being and affect propensity for injuries, particularly muscle injuries, I believe.

Also, the exercises he is engaging in seem to be new to KP and are about strengthening and providing flexibility to muscles, etc. he probably had not been working out as much with just his personal trainer/brother (?).

Some strange assumptions with your post.

It was known KP was anemic before he was drafted. That was public info

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
PresIke
USA
7/30/2018  9:52 PM
martin wrote:
PresIke wrote:
Nalod wrote:
PresIke wrote:
nixluva wrote:
martin wrote:

I hope you're right.

Some strange assumptions with your post.

It was known KP was anemic before he was drafted. That was public info

I will admit I completely didn't know that, and I followed that draft year pretty closely as I wanted Phil to draft KP going in after watching a bunch of scouting vids compared to who else was available.

Despite that I don't recall that. I had not been paying so close attention to that aspect. Do all fans really know that, man? I don't mean to sound defensive, but I think you have to be a VERY hard core fan to have that info. I'm not following everything with the Knicks over the past season or so as closely for a long list of reasons, but I still pay some attention. I don't think all fans know that unless you're on message boards all of the time.

What else seemed strange from what I wrote? Respect.

Porzingis ComeBack

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy