[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Who is your pick for Knicks new coach.....

Author Poll
Nalod
Member: #508
USA
Taking the temperature of the faithful.
I have not seen any indication there is movement with Messina, Rivers, Vogel, or Williams.
JVG seems to be out. I left him in as this is not a poll of prediction, its a poll of preference.
Mark Jackson
Jerry Stackhouse
David Blatt
David Fizdale
Mike Woodson
Ettore Messina
Doc Rivers
Frank Vogel
JVG
Monty Williams
View Results

Author Thread
fwk00
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6048

4/20/2018  9:34 PM
Reggie Miller
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/20/2018  9:45 PM
joec32033 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
frenchy00 wrote:what's the appeal w Budenholzer? On the surface I don't see any.

Pop disciple. Ran a good program when the Hawks weren't tanking. Developed a few players like THJ. He's well regarded.

What is a good program? 6/7 seed and a first round exit? I dont know the numbers but under him the Haeks were both a middling offensive and middling defensive team.

He won COY in Atlanta. His entire starting line up received player of the month that year. He led the Hawks to a 60 win season.

I looked and that was in 2014/15, his second with ATL. His wins steadily decreased each year after.

Then you also know that he lost starter after start each year after. And they weren’t really replsced

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
smackeddog
Member: #883
4/21/2018  3:36 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
smackeddog wrote:We’re going to speak to Budenholzer apparently- definitely worth checking out

Lets get a coach under contract so we have to give the Hawks draft pick compensation awesome idea

I wouldn't be interested in him if we had to compensate the hawks, from the sounds of it they'll be happy to let him go due to his high salary and the long rebuild process they have ahead.

smackeddog
4/21/2018  3:42 AM
joec32033 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
frenchy00 wrote:what's the appeal w Budenholzer? On the surface I don't see any.

Pop disciple. Ran a good program when the Hawks weren't tanking. Developed a few players like THJ. He's well regarded.

What is a good program? 6/7 seed and a first round exit? I dont know the numbers but under him the Haeks were both a middling offensive and middling defensive team.

He won COY in Atlanta. His entire starting line up received player of the month that year. He led the Hawks to a 60 win season.

I looked and that was in 2014/15, his second with ATL. His wins steadily decreased each year after.

Hawks were meant to be tank and rebuild when they hired him, instead he got them to perform way better- got the most out of them individually and as a group. Look at the roster he achieved 60 wins out of. After that second year the Hawks just let key starters go- Millsap, Teague, Carroll, korver. Who did they replace them with? No one. How did you expect them to do?

At the end of the day he comes from a great background (Spurs), was highly regarded by Popovic (who I think implored him at the time not to take the hawks job as he thought it was a doomed post), he developed players (Tim Jr), he got the most out of players, and he got the most out of the team.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/21/2018  9:13 AM
smackeddog wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
smackeddog wrote:We’re going to speak to Budenholzer apparently- definitely worth checking out

Lets get a coach under contract so we have to give the Hawks draft pick compensation awesome idea

I wouldn't be interested in him if we had to compensate the hawks, from the sounds of it they'll be happy to let him go due to his high salary and the long rebuild process they have ahead.

Forgot about the Timmy angle. Would be a good coach for Frank. Im glad Perry/Mills are doing their due diligence. Was starting to be concerned about some of the names not being interviewed. Maybe someone will knock their socks off that they werent expecting.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
USA
4/21/2018  10:49 AM
Budenholzer worth a late 2nd round pick if the is the guy. If he develops one guy we trade for a 2nd round that might not have done so then its a payback. We got two picks for Willy. 2nd round picks are currency, not a big deal.
I’m not advocating but given its non starphuch nature I’d be for it.
Kenny smith, JVG talk, Jax, Woodson, .......it’s bull shyt.
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
4/21/2018  11:37 AM
Fizdale. He will maximize the unicorn's team while Frank continues to evolve into a pg no one has seen play the like.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
smackeddog
4/21/2018  1:52 PM
Update by Bagely:

Sources: Knicks plan interviews with David Blatt, James Borrego, Mike Budenholzer

The New York Knicks plan to interview former Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt in Europe next week, league sources told ESPN.

Blatt is coaching a team in Turkey this season.

After the trip overseas, the Knicks are expected to meet with San Antonio Spurs assistant coach James Borrego in New York, league sources said. The Spurs granted permission to New York to interview Borrego, sources said.

The Knicks also will meet with Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer on Sunday, sources said.

Among the Knicks' head-coaching interviews already completed, David Fizdale and Jerry Stackhouse made strong cases for themselves, league sources told ESPN.

Knicks GM Scott Perry is planning to pair the European trip with a scouting side trip, sources said. The Perry-Blatt meeting will be telltale to Blatt's candidacy. Blatt has a strong history and relationship with Knicks president Steve Mills, and Mills has been an advocate for Blatt to become the Knicks' head coach when he worked with Phil Jackson and now Perry.

Nevertheless, Perry has no relationship with Blatt and would need to be convinced that they could work together -- and that Blatt, 58, could be an asset in connecting with players and ultimately recruiting free agents to New York. Blatt's credentials as a European coach are unmatched, and his season-plus with the Cavaliers included a 83-40 record and trip to the 2015 NBA Finals.

Borrego, 41, is considered one of the top young assistant coaches in the NBA, and his time together with Perry with the Orlando Magic has played a part in his ability to interview for the Knicks' job. Borrego made a strong impression on Perry in a 30-game stint as interim head coach in the 2014-15 season.

Borrego was the runner-up to Fizdale in the Memphis Grizzlies' search process two years ago and made a strong impression on the Houston Rockets in meetings before they hired Mike D'Antoni. Borrego has turned down college head-coaching opportunities to remain on coach Gregg Popovich's staff and pursue the chance to be an NBA head coach.

The Hawks earlier gave permission to Budenholzer to meet with the Phoenix Suns and would be open to allowing him to become a candidate for other head-coaching openings, league sources previously said. Budenholzer has two years and $13 million-plus left on his contract, with the Hawks headed into a full rebuilding process.

Potential barriers to Budenholzer ending his partnership with Atlanta include the Knicks making an offer, agreeing to a contract and agreeing to possible compensation to Atlanta.

The Knicks also interviewed Los Angeles Clippers assistant coach Mike Woodson and TNT analyst Kenny Smith for the vacancy. Woodson, who was fired by the Knicks in 2014 after two-plus seasons, isn't considered to be in the top tier of initial candidates. Former Golden State Warriors coach and ESPN analyst Mark Jackson also interviewed for the job.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23267997/new-york-knicks-interview-david-blatt-next-week-meet-spurs-assistant-james-borrego

This line made me laugh:

Among the Knicks' head-coaching interviews already completed, David Fizdale and Jerry Stackhouse made strong cases for themselves, league sources told ESPN

since when he wrote this only those two plus Mark jackson have been interviewed- hopefully that means Jacksons interview was not good (then again they could just be downplaying him so no one else goes after him)

smackeddog
4/21/2018  1:55 PM
My revised top picks for coach are:

1. JVG (not happening)
2. Budenholzer (if we just have to give up cash- I ain't giving up any picks)
3. Stackhouse or Jay Wright

VCoug
Member: #1406

4/21/2018  5:12 PM
I'm not a big fan of Steve Mills and I'm still waiting-and-seeing on Perry but I have to admit I really like how they're running this coaching search, it's worlds better than what Phil Jackson did when he was here. I'm a big fan of Stackhouse, Fizdale, Messina, and Borrego. Would be ok with Blatt. Just as long as we don't hire Jackson.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
4/22/2018  11:22 AM
smackeddog wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Hawks were meant to be tank and rebuild when they hired him, instead he got them to perform way better- got the most out of them individually and as a group. Look at the roster he achieved 60 wins out of. After that second year the Hawks just let key starters go- Millsap, Teague, Carroll, korver. Who did they replace them with? No one. How did you expect them to do?

At the end of the day he comes from a great background (Spurs), was highly regarded by Popovic (who I think implored him at the time not to take the hawks job as he thought it was a doomed post), he developed players (Tim Jr), he got the most out of players, and he got the most out of the team.

Fair. I did some research and his teams were usually top 10 offense, top 15 defense. Funny thing is they were consistently scoring 102-103 points per game and they gave up consistently 97. I dont like having to give compensation for him. I still like Fizdale but Jimmy B from the Spurs intrigues me. His background reminds me of Spoelstra.

~You can't run from who you are.~
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/22/2018  12:35 PM
VCoug wrote:I'm not a big fan of Steve Mills and I'm still waiting-and-seeing on Perry but I have to admit I really like how they're running this coaching search, it's worlds better than what Phil Jackson did when he was here. I'm a big fan of Stackhouse, Fizdale, Messina, and Borrego. Would be ok with Blatt. Just as long as we don't hire Jackson.
My worry with Blatt is he might not be Perry's guy. I think Perry needs to pick a coach that has the same vision as him. Blatt/Mills could push Perry out or put Mills in a spot where he is making decisions over Perry to satisfy his coach. Perry needs to choose his guy. If his guy is Blatt then I think it has a good chance of working but the Mills connection scares me a bit. GM/coach relationships are so important for a team to be successful. Walsh had D'Antoni's back but he never built a team to play to D'Antoni's strengths like Darryl Morey has in Houston. Ainge/Stevens, Riley/Spo, Buford/Pop work because they are on the same page. I think that is why many analysts think the Nets will figure things out before the Knicks. This is a huge decision for Perry/Mills. They need to get it right.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
USA
4/22/2018  1:20 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
VCoug wrote:I'm not a big fan of Steve Mills and I'm still waiting-and-seeing on Perry but I have to admit I really like how they're running this coaching search, it's worlds better than what Phil Jackson did when he was here. I'm a big fan of Stackhouse, Fizdale, Messina, and Borrego. Would be ok with Blatt. Just as long as we don't hire Jackson.
My worry with Blatt is he might not be Perry's guy. I think Perry needs to pick a coach that has the same vision as him. Blatt/Mills could push Perry out or put Mills in a spot where he is making decisions over Perry to satisfy his coach. Perry needs to choose his guy. If his guy is Blatt then I think it has a good chance of working but the Mills connection scares me a bit. GM/coach relationships are so important for a team to be successful. Walsh had D'Antoni's back but he never built a team to play to D'Antoni's strengths like Darryl Morey has in Houston. Ainge/Stevens, Riley/Spo, Buford/Pop work because they are on the same page. I think that is why many analysts think the Nets will figure things out before the Knicks. This is a huge decision for Perry/Mills. They need to get it right.

Forget the past, its not redundant to the future and the circumstances are all different. If Perry and Mills like Blatt then its a fit. They build the team accordly. The problems arise when you have a coach in place and a new GM comes in. Mills and Perry will make this choice together.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/22/2018  1:44 PM
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Forget the past, its not redundant to the future and the circumstances are all different. If Perry and Mills like Blatt then its a fit. They build the team accordly. The problems arise when you have a coach in place and a new GM comes in. Mills and Perry will make this choice together.

If Blatt isn't Perry's guy it won't work because it hasn't worked in the past if coach/gm aren't totally aligned. Lets ignore past mistakes in the nba because the Knicks are different and they are the organization that can do this right? Come on now.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/23/2018  8:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2018  8:06 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

If Blatt isn't Perry's guy it won't work because it hasn't worked in the past if coach/gm aren't totally aligned. Lets ignore past mistakes in the nba because the Knicks are different and they are the organization that can do this right? Come on now.

It's the same situation with Dolan and Mills as it was with Isaiah and Dolan.

The knicks are more interested in employing friends with below avg skills at their respective position, than they are employing the right man for the job.

ES
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/23/2018  8:40 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

The knicks are more interested in employing friends with below avg skills at their respective position, than they are employing the right man for the job.

I don't think Blatt is below average, but it's a fair charge to lay at Dolan.

I do like how this search is going - far better than any prior search.

As such, Perry & Mills deserve an open mind.

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
4/23/2018  9:29 AM
ISN'T IT BLATANTLY OBVIOUS WE SHOULD GET BUDENHOLZER?
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/23/2018  9:42 AM
franco12 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I don't think Blatt is below average, but it's a fair charge to lay at Dolan.

I do like how this search is going - far better than any prior search.

As such, Perry & Mills deserve an open mind.

Idk, I just hope they are not pushing the "TRUST THE PROCESS" BS on these coaches, because your not going to get a good coach if they are ok with losing

ES
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/23/2018  9:51 AM
How about Stephon Marbury for Coach. since we giving anyone who wants to be a coach a try. Another one KG would be awesome.
Chandler
Member: #6197

4/23/2018  10:24 AM
smackeddog wrote:My revised top picks for coach are:

1. JVG (not happening)
2. Budenholzer (if we just have to give up cash- I ain't giving up any picks)
3. Stackhouse or Jay Wright

I would not take JVG under any circumstances. Having said that I like this list. The thing with Budenholzer is what he got out of THJ. Wondering if he can complete that trajectory he started and have a similar but reverse one for Frank. Seems super smart

(5)(5)
Who is your pick for Knicks new coach.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy