[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Media is late to Scott Perry's smart management of the Knicks
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
4/13/2018  8:40 PM
I get the typical @sshats that continue to try to paint the Knicks as the franchise of dysfunction but I am surprised when guys that I respect do it. Heard Sam Vecenie on a podcast today say the Knicks are horribly mismanaged. Isola and Mitch Lawerence (not guys that I respect)spent the morning complaining about the Mills/Perry saying they needed a coach that understood today's player and also held guys accountable. Jeff and RAmbis had a player revolt the previous season because of their difficulties interacting with players. Not sure why they were brought back but I thought it was charitable on Perry's part and I am glad that he is now choosing his own guy. It is the next step in building a team that is top down functional. I can't think of a move made by the Knicks since Perry has been in place that could be called stupid or bad. While most were minor, I think he has been smart in his approach so far.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

4/13/2018  9:07 PM
I think the Mudiay and Wille moves were very questionable. Especially when we could lose both centers ths offseason
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/13/2018  9:17 PM
Jmpasq wrote:I think the Mudiay and Wille moves were very questionable. Especially when we could lose both centers ths offseason
I thought they were both good moves. Willie asked to be moved and the Knicks got two second round picks back. Mudiay was a low risk high reward move.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
4/13/2018  9:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/13/2018  9:28 PM
Agree, I saw their press conference and liked how they pushed the idea of patience. They spoke about the mistakes of the past, and how quick fixes were tried several times which always ended up badly for the Knicks. They talked about building a sustainable winning culture. They were also pushing defense heavily.
We'll see from the type of players they acquire and draft. Stay away from the DSjr and Malik Monk types (one dimensional scorers), and get the Frank Ntilikina (high iq, defensive mindset) types. You really only need 1 dynamic scorer anyway, you surround this player with high iq 3 and d type players that can switch on every possession and defend and shoot the 3 and you'll be a decent team.

I do think they are too high on Tim Hardaway Jr. It was an overpay, he does not have a defensive mindset, and he's not especially efficient. I'm not sure what they see in him, but I hope he improves over time.

Rose is not the answer.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/14/2018  11:49 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:I think the Mudiay and Wille moves were very questionable. Especially when we could lose both centers ths offseason
I thought they were both good moves. Willie asked to be moved and the Knicks got two second round picks back. Mudiay was a low risk high reward move.

I don't have a problem with the Mudiay move... he's turned out to be an absolute scrub but who knows how next year turns out. Maybe he realizes he's on his last chance and spends time on getting in better condition than Raymond Felton and learns to shoot better than Noah

The Willie move chaps my ass. We might have nothing at center next year

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
MS
Member: #724
4/15/2018  9:58 AM
You look at what we have on the roster and it’s virtually an overpaid shooting guard, a role playing 19 year old hybrid, a journeyman young point guard that might be a diamond in the rough and a vacant head coaching position, again. I frail injured franchise player that gets injured everyone season is our one shining hope.

No future, a terrible owner and a GM that’s made some nice small maneuvers. He made some question picks in his last two positions and don’t discount the fact that Mudiay is clogging up a roster spot and we are now weak at the 4/5. The Willy trade was puzzling, especially since he is signed at $1.5MM. He played well down the stretch we gave up on him too early and will likely need to overpay a big that we had on the deal we needed.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/15/2018  10:05 AM
Hes a regular Jerry west--proven at Orlando!
RIP Crushalot😞
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

4/15/2018  10:12 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Hes a regular Jerry west--proven at Orlando!

He was not the gm in Orlando

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/15/2018  10:16 AM
dacash wrote:

If he wasn’t the GM what were his accomplishments to warrant a GM position with the Knicks? And to give up a second round pick for him this organization is absolutely ridiculous.

dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

4/15/2018  12:27 PM
Vmart wrote:
dacash wrote:

If he wasn’t the GM what were his accomplishments to warrant a GM position with the Knicks? And to give up a second round pick for him this organization is absolutely ridiculous.

He was the assistant GM, instead of getting a name they decided to puck some one who has been around and seemingly deserved a chance. That's actually what u do. That's why asst head coaches become head coaches. My thing is everybody us say look at what HE did in Orlando as tho he was in charge. He was not. But everybody says look at Orlando. Do we also give Steve jobs asst credit for apples success? No . so why harp on him and not his boss? HE WAS THE DAMN assistant GEEZ GUYS .
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

4/15/2018  1:35 PM
I never get caught up in what the media say. Their goal is always to spice things up either positively or negatively. Some fans ignore it and some it bothers them which i understand. Me personally i have never cared what the media says about the knicks. Now if its a player or coach that says something out of line then i get upset
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/15/2018  1:51 PM
Common denominator in Orlando too is its owner.
I don’t know if he has detached himself form the club.

Dolan thought he did with PHil. Good hire with bad execution.
Not every hire brings his success with him. Phil didn’t.
Perry has good reputation in Detroit. Not in Orlando.
By show of hands, who was in the room when Mills was interviewing Gm’s????
Anyone, anyone?

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/16/2018  8:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/16/2018  8:50 AM
knickstorrents wrote:Agree, I saw their press conference and liked how they pushed the idea of patience. They spoke about the mistakes of the past, and how quick fixes were tried several times which always ended up badly for the Knicks. They talked about building a sustainable winning culture. They were also pushing defense heavily.
We'll see from the type of players they acquire and draft. Stay away from the DSjr and Malik Monk types (one dimensional scorers), and get the Frank Ntilikina (high iq, defensive mindset) types. You really only need 1 dynamic scorer anyway, you surround this player with high iq 3 and d type players that can switch on every possession and defend and shoot the 3 and you'll be a decent team.

I do think they are too high on Tim Hardaway Jr. It was an overpay, he does not have a defensive mindset, and he's not especially efficient. I'm not sure what they see in him, but I hope he improves over time.

I didn't care or the THJ signing, but i understood it, and his defense has a lot to do with how he is being taught, which in ATL he look much more engaged.

Perry and Mills preach defense, than trade or acquired some of the worst defenders in the league at their respected positions JACK, MUDIAY, MCDERMOTT, KANTER,BURKE.

This silly Idea that recent regimes(walsh, grunwald, phil) have tried quick fixes is as lame as it gets.
Walsh took a yr and half to trade away a slew of bad contracts to get cap space to sign two superstars (which everyone know you need that to win) thats not a quick fix

Grunwald had no cap space, and sign some vets to 2 yr contracts to complement Amare and Melo, he signed JR, Novak, Lin, Camby, KIDD, Tyson, KT, Rasheed (very solid vets to reasonable contracts) no quick fix here

Phil did what walsh did and clear the deck to get some quality vets to go around KP and Melo, but unlike grunwald (who gave 2 yr contracts) phil gave 4 yrs and couldn't get a single star to sign with the 30+ million in cap space that he had.

What is Perry and MILLS plan, if they think that they are going to just let Noah, lance and Lee's contract expire and be bad for 2 more yrs, they will get FIRED.

You cant preach (but so much) patience when your taking over a team that's been really bad for 4 yrs, you cant say hey... Give me another 3 or 4 yrs of being bad before for we see some success.

ES
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/16/2018  9:19 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
knickstorrents wrote:Agree, I saw their press conference and liked how they pushed the idea of patience. They spoke about the mistakes of the past, and how quick fixes were tried several times which always ended up badly for the Knicks. They talked about building a sustainable winning culture. They were also pushing defense heavily.

I didn't care or the THJ signing, but i understood it, and his defense has a lot to do with how he is being taught, which in ATL he look much more engaged.

Perry and Mills preach defense, than trade or acquired some of the worst defenders in the league at their respected positions JACK, MUDIAY, MCDERMOTT, KANTER,BURKE.

This silly Idea that recent regimes(walsh, grunwald, phil) have tried quick fixes is as lame as it gets.
Walsh took a yr and half to trade away a slew of bad contracts to get cap space to sign two superstars (which everyone know you need that to win) thats not a quick fix

Grunwald had no cap space, and sign some vets to 2 yr contracts to complement Amare and Melo, he signed JR, Novak, Lin, Camby, KIDD, Tyson, KT, Rasheed (very solid vets to reasonable contracts) no quick fix here

Phil did what walsh did and clear the deck to get some quality vets to go around KP and Melo, but unlike grunwald (who gave 2 yr contracts) phil gave 4 yrs and couldn't get a single star to sign with the 30+ million in cap space that he had.

What is Perry and MILLS plan, if they think that they are going to just let Noah, lance and Lee's contract expire and be bad for 2 more yrs, they will get FIRED.

You cant preach (but so much) patience when your taking over a team that's been really bad for 4 yrs, you cant say hey... Give me another 3 or 4 yrs of being bad before for we see some success.

Camby, Kidd, KT, Rasheed, not a quick fix? They all retired after the season, most couldnt finish out the year. JR was more trouble than he was worth. Novak couldnt guard anyone and couldnt shoot when guarded. Tyson was a mixed bag. Went from one extreme to the other.

Perry has been here one season, lost KP halfway through it, had to deal with an aging star with an NTC. And a team in desperate need of a rebuild. You really want to go for broke with retreads?

I dont believe in sugar coating the state of the Knicks. Dont believe in sugar coating the past either.

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/16/2018  10:13 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Camby, Kidd, KT, Rasheed, not a quick fix? They all retired after the season, most couldnt finish out the year. JR was more trouble than he was worth. Novak couldnt guard anyone and couldnt shoot when guarded. Tyson was a mixed bag. Went from one extreme to the other.

Perry has been here one season, lost KP halfway through it, had to deal with an aging star with an NTC. And a team in desperate need of a rebuild. You really want to go for broke with retreads?

I dont believe in sugar coating the state of the Knicks. Dont believe in sugar coating the past either.

You are not drafting 15 players, your always going to have to signed vets, or make trades, so those vets in there last leg (camby and them)produce 54 wins, the most since the 90s.

Perry is not the shot caller, he is just a consultant, I'm not blaming him or giving him credit for much, MILLs made that crystal clear. So every real move that's being im going to give mills most of the credit or blame.

Some of you got this notion that we either contending for a championship or tank, no middle ground

ES
GustavBahler

4/16/2018  10:36 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

You are not drafting 15 players, your always going to have to signed vets, or make trades, so those vets in there last leg (camby and them)produce 54 wins, the most since the 90s.

Perry is not the shot caller, he is just a consultant, I'm not blaming him or giving him credit for much, MILLs made that crystal clear. So every real move that's being im going to give mills most of the credit or blame.

Some of you got this notion that we either contending for a championship or tank, no middle ground

Of course you are going to sign vets. The question is which ones? Tbe example you gave was a Knicks squad which was not only the oldest in the league at the time, it was up there in players lost to injury, if not at the top of the list. Thats not a model I want to see Perry follow.

Agree there should be a balance, just not your idea of it. We want the minutes going to the yoots. 2019 is when the Knicks will be in the hunt for FAs. In the meantime, trying to draft well, finding young role players on the cheap like Burke and Williams is the way to go.

Its a fair question about how much control Mills will give Perry in the coming years. As the NY writers have pointed out, if Blatt is chosen, it likely is a sign that Mills is driving the big decisions. I hope that doesnt turn out to be the case, because he's been doing a good job lately of being part of the solution. Not letting Perry make the call would be a big mistake. And to answer why Perry wouldnt choose Blatt? Hard to put your own stamp on a team with your boss's college buddy.

Nalod
USA
4/16/2018  10:37 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

That's quick as one can get. It worked. We won 54 games but we dried up by seasons end. An 5 weeks MVP like stretch for Melo got us the higher seed but we gassed out by the playoffs. The physical was evident as was the mental fatigue. Melo got indignant and JR lost his mind.
one third of the roster retired. Woodson did a fine job that year. No complaints, but it was unsustainable.

You have it real good for mills and anything he does, including Perry. You are not in the room for their decisions or the process. Mills will have final say on most decisions but that does not mean he won't delegate to his staff. They will discuss, argue and present their views. That's healthy. Perry will make his recommendations and Mills will sign off on it, or not.
Again, Mills was signed to be president then was made GM by Dolan when Phil came on board. That perverted the natural order as Phil was more likely to be the GM via talent decisions but also had the juice card that comes with huge contract. To me you can only look at Mills signing Hardaway as his only solo debatable decision.

No free passes here, the record speaks for itself. This is the current reality. In fact, you called for JH to leave and they responded. one could debate this move and perhaps give JH the choice to have one more year with no extension and deal with the media favorably or walk with your money. JH never really had a chance with all the circumstances this team faced. They made their decision. They want a fresh start with their guy and are asking for patience.

Dolan is not going to fire Mills after he dogged him when he hired phil. So you can either roll with this reality or whine on the open concept that anyone is better than Mills. They are making the right decisions. The outcome is questionable. Always is unless your open concepting. Then you, the writer is brilliant beyond accountability!!!

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/16/2018  11:39 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

You've just painted about 1/3 of a picture and what happened with the Knicks while WILLFULLY ignoring the rest. Case in point: You can understand why the Knicks signing THJr but don't understand McDermott/Kanter? Hello Melo trade, did you just forget the circumstance about that? Mudiay/Burke are short term guys with the upside of being long term if they pan out. Jack is an OBVIOUS even shorter term guy who was on a non-guaranteed contract.

Look to Frank if you want to know about their feel for defense; and not only the drafting of such a player, but their handling of him within the long term.

knicks1248 wrote:This silly Idea that recent regimes(walsh, grunwald, phil) have tried quick fixes is as lame as it gets.

And you absolutely can preach patience, this is a new FO with a new direction (even if Mills is a retread). It's YOU that need to adjust your thinking.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
4/16/2018  11:58 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Of course you are going to sign vets. The question is which ones? Tbe example you gave was a Knicks squad which was not only the oldest in the league at the time, it was up there in players lost to injury, if not at the top of the list. Thats not a model I want to see Perry follow.

Agree there should be a balance, just not your idea of it. We want the minutes going to the yoots. 2019 is when the Knicks will be in the hunt for FAs. In the meantime, trying to draft well, finding young role players on the cheap like Burke and Williams is the way to go.

Its a fair question about how much control Mills will give Perry in the coming years. As the NY writers have pointed out, if Blatt is chosen, it likely is a sign that Mills is driving the big decisions. I hope that doesnt turn out to be the case, because he's been doing a good job lately of being part of the solution. Not letting Perry make the call would be a big mistake. And to answer why Perry wouldnt choose Blatt? Hard to put your own stamp on a team with your boss's college buddy.

Its not like Mills has a history of hiring coach's.
Its not Like Blatt does not have the resume. He does.
Its not like Perry has "His guys" from years of success.
Its not an indictment for them to come to conclusions together as opposed to "Blatt hire makes Perry the defacto "Yes" man to Mills".
Blatt has years of history and only one blemish that he could not get along with Lebron. Go back and remember that Cav's team was all new that season and had injury problems. I get why they replaced him midway thru season two, but its not a blemish.
Blatts teams have defensive intensity and he runs a modern offense based of the Princeton motion offense.
I'd rather Blatt over JVG, Jax, and Stan Albeck.

GustavBahler

4/16/2018  12:30 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Its not like Mills has a history of hiring coach's.
Its not Like Blatt does not have the resume. He does.
Its not like Perry has "His guys" from years of success.
Its not an indictment for them to come to conclusions together as opposed to "Blatt hire makes Perry the defacto "Yes" man to Mills".
Blatt has years of history and only one blemish that he could not get along with Lebron. Go back and remember that Cav's team was all new that season and had injury problems. I get why they replaced him midway thru season two, but its not a blemish.
Blatts teams have defensive intensity and he runs a modern offense based of the Princeton motion offense.
I'd rather Blatt over JVG, Jax, and Stan Albeck.

Would be much too easy for Blatt to do an end run around Perry over personel decisions, any decision really. They have too much history. Why would an exec with some quality choices with more NBA experience give the job to someone who could undermine them without much effort? This would just be replacing Dolan's interference with Mills'. Neither has the track record to get that involved.

Mills hiring Perry was out of the box thinking. Not letting Perry make the call would put the Knicks right back in that.box. Nevermind who the coach is. Perry needs the time and the space to build something in NY free from interference. Starts with the choice of Head Coach. Stuff like this is why NY has trouble attracting top execs.

Media is late to Scott Perry's smart management of the Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy