The next Knicks Head Coach is...
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/16/2018  10:40 PM
But Blatt won everywhere else?
All these guys are tainted and articles don’t clarify much but speculation.
Be curious how it all comes out. Phil was cryptic with his venture to heat Thai food in Montana, then gave us JH out of the blue when all thought Rambis was the dude.
AUTOADVERT
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

4/16/2018  11:30 PM
I like the fact that Perry said they're going to interview a bunch of candidates
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718

4/16/2018  11:33 PM
I still think it's going to be an assistant coach from one of the teams. Any head coaches are not going to get much rope and their ego will ultimately come into play.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/17/2018  8:22 AM
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:I've suspected all along that Blatt doesn't check the box of relating to the players and getting all-player-buy-in...
could be a great coach but needs certain kinds of guys. Woodson struck me as less of a coach but good at getting the guys fired up. As they said there are very few that check all the boxes. What is key is developmental.

True...Still want no parts of Blatt and definitely say NO to Woody!!!

Woodson with the switch on everything "vanilla" defense, and Blatt scared to call out is alpha players and doesn't preach defense.

Lets be real, you see the kind of players we have. The coach not only has to know how to develop young players, he has to know how to handle vets just as well. We need some accountability across the boards.

My boxes that mandatory need to be checked off

Defense
Late game play calling
accountability
creative offense
somebody who can toughing up our EURO players in frank and KP
communication.

I don't want any of mills or perrys friends unless that have a proven record.

ES
knicks1248
4/17/2018  8:47 AM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I have no idea why woodson and blatt would be on the list..just goes to show that nothing has change, and that mills is all about employing his friends just like DOLAN

WE appreciate your transparency. When you say "I have no idea"..... It says a lot.
Mills is a "Friend"? I have posted his background many times. You don't read do you?
Woodson was a friend of Isiah Hired by Donnie and very competent.
You bring in guys for interviews as favors, as a sign of respect and to exchange ideas and information. Might be a lost concept on you.
There is "Nepotism" and there is working with friends that have qualifications and with relationships comes a trust and communication you don't get with nepotism.
What is it about Blatt you don't like? That he was arrogant and demanded respect from Cav's?
The guy is very defensive minded.
Oh wait, your the guy that likes Mark Jax! The Homophobe evangelist adulterer who was paranoid about his assistants?

All the guys on the list have taints. You will not find one that checks all your boxes.

You don't get do you, your such a contradicting fool sometimes

Woodson was known to be beloved by owner James Dolan. The Knicks, according to ESPN, will interview him in Los Angeles, though he was in New York this weekend.

You don't want Doalan involved but it's ok to hire his friends despite their many many flaws.It's like everyone outside this organization keeps saying, the Knicks FO is too cliquey

I care more about the out come of games and the development of players young and old, not the relationship with the front office, I mean it matters, but not above the success of the team.

ES
knicks1248
4/17/2018  8:50 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I liked woody as a person, but can never forget the frustration of watching us switch every time on defense and have iso melo for the end of game shot every time

I know. We had to put up with that 54 times during 2012 when we made the conference finals.

Dont worry, it will be Princeton mafia all the way. But not a bad choice imo.

right, and KP was already turning into ISO KP (just like melo)before he got hurt

ES
Nalod
USA
4/17/2018  9:23 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:I've suspected all along that Blatt doesn't check the box of relating to the players and getting all-player-buy-in...
could be a great coach but needs certain kinds of guys. Woodson struck me as less of a coach but good at getting the guys fired up. As they said there are very few that check all the boxes. What is key is developmental.

True...Still want no parts of Blatt and definitely say NO to Woody!!!

Woodson with the switch on everything "vanilla" defense, and Blatt scared to call out is alpha players and doesn't preach defense.

Lets be real, you see the kind of players we have. The coach not only has to know how to develop young players, he has to know how to handle vets just as well. We need some accountability across the boards.

My boxes that mandatory need to be checked off

Defense
Late game play calling
accountability
creative offense
somebody who can toughing up our EURO players in frank and KP
communication.

I don't want any of mills or perrys friends unless that have a proven record.

So who do you want?

Nalod
USA
4/17/2018  9:34 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I have no idea why woodson and blatt would be on the list..just goes to show that nothing has change, and that mills is all about employing his friends just like DOLAN

WE appreciate your transparency. When you say "I have no idea"..... It says a lot.
Mills is a "Friend"? I have posted his background many times. You don't read do you?
Woodson was a friend of Isiah Hired by Donnie and very competent.
You bring in guys for interviews as favors, as a sign of respect and to exchange ideas and information. Might be a lost concept on you.
There is "Nepotism" and there is working with friends that have qualifications and with relationships comes a trust and communication you don't get with nepotism.
What is it about Blatt you don't like? That he was arrogant and demanded respect from Cav's?
The guy is very defensive minded.
Oh wait, your the guy that likes Mark Jax! The Homophobe evangelist adulterer who was paranoid about his assistants?

All the guys on the list have taints. You will not find one that checks all your boxes.

You don't get do you, your such a contradicting fool sometimes

Woodson was known to be beloved by owner James Dolan. The Knicks, according to ESPN, will interview him in Los Angeles, though he was in New York this weekend.

You don't want Doalan involved but it's ok to hire his friends despite their many many flaws.It's like everyone outside this organization keeps saying, the Knicks FO is too cliquey

I care more about the out come of games and the development of players young and old, not the relationship with the front office, I mean it matters, but not above the success of the team.

YOu take one line as part of a whole article. Dolan liked Woodson? SO what? He is more than competent and did well in ATL and NY with what he had.
BTW, He is not high on my list. He knows Woodson was a victim of change when Phil came in and owes him a favor. That's my guess.

I've made my list. Im not predicting, this is MY list. No Jax, No Woodson, No retreads. This is my order, but I'd be happy with any of them.

Blatt
Fizz
Budenholzer
Stack

YOu can't just sit there and call out some open concept dream person. You have to make a choice. Make one.
Its ok to be wrong. You make good practice of it anyway.

Nalod
USA
4/17/2018  9:42 AM
Surprised Vogel's name is not popping up. Not advocating for him but similar to JH in he really had no chance to succeed with this roster.
Cartman718

4/17/2018  1:51 PM
From Berman...JVG's perception
1. He’s been away from the NBA sidelines for 11 years and hasn’t coached in the analytics era.

2. He is an old-school coach who hasn’t been amenable to management types giving major input into coaching the club.

3. He gained a reputation — fairly or unfairly — for not relating well to international players, with a tough-love approach backfiring on former first-round pick Frederic Weis of France.

Nalod
USA
4/17/2018  2:09 PM
Cartman718 wrote:From Berman...JVG's perception
1. He’s been away from the NBA sidelines for 11 years and hasn’t coached in the analytics era.

2. He is an old-school coach who hasn’t been amenable to management types giving major input into coaching the club.

3. He gained a reputation — fairly or unfairly — for not relating well to international players, with a tough-love approach backfiring on former first-round pick Frederic Weis of France.

I thought Berman stretched this, especially number three. Fred Weis was drafted 19 years ago.
There were very few international players in the NBA then. Does Berman really think that JVG is the same person and stuck intellectually for 19 years?
As far as accepting analytics, is it that much of a deviation of basketball logic to not digest and implement as part of coaching duties?
Wasn't Yao Ming "international"? Awful writing. Berman can do much better.

Cartman718

4/17/2018  2:41 PM
Nalod wrote:

I thought Berman stretched this, especially number three. Fred Weis was drafted 19 years ago.
There were very few international players in the NBA then. Does Berman really think that JVG is the same person and stuck intellectually for 19 years?
As far as accepting analytics, is it that much of a deviation of basketball logic to not digest and implement as part of coaching duties?

I do think #3 is a stretch, but #1 and #2 is undeniable.
Also the relatibility factor.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/17/2018  3:32 PM
Nalod wrote:

Questionable!

And how can JVG have a tough-love approach to a player he never coached? Did he even meet Weis?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
4/17/2018  5:37 PM
martin wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Questionable!

And how can JVG have a tough-love approach to a player he never coached? Did he even meet Weis?

Coaches attend clinics and learn all the time. I met Stan at a clinic with Cartright before he was with Detroit. They do this all the time. They learn.
Jeff might be up on a lot of things. We assume he has not coached, but he coaches U18 teams. WE assume if its not in front of us it does not exist.
He was not amenable to management types in the era where Coach's like Pop, Riley, Nelson, Dunlevy and others were both GM and coach. That era has largely gone.
Jeff was was beholden to ewing for the job. Not Grunfeld. its why JVG was to be fired but he got to finals, kicked in a two year 4mill extension and the rest is history.
Maybe you don't want you coach to have too much power all the time.

Cartman718

4/25/2018  1:05 PM
https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-coaching-search-includes-at-least-8-candidates-1.18222781

and this is why i feel one of the assistant coaches in the NBA will get the nod...
the Knicks’ two lead executives said they were looking for someone with strong defensive principles who will hold players accountable and can relate with and understand today’s NBA player.

“We’re going to be very open to exploring a number of different candidates with the number of qualities we’re looking for,” Perry said. “Not every person is going to check every single box that you’d like to check. But we’ll find someone who will fit and carry out our rebuilding process

I still believe none of the existing head coaches are going to get the nod.

Cartman718

4/30/2018  3:33 PM
and....bump. Howard mentioned in my original post.
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
5/2/2018  6:12 PM
Per Shams Charania (some axxBite from inside sport)Fizdale and Knicks are getting serious.
martin
USA
5/2/2018  6:13 PM
Paris907 wrote:Per Shams Charania (some axxBite from inside sport)Fizdale and Knicks are getting serious.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/2/2018  6:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/2/2018  6:24 PM
From CBS sports..

The Knicks' coaching search should be reaching a conclusion at some point this week after concluding interviews with various candidates earlier in the week. The Knicks have certainly done their due diligence throughout the coaching search, but it appears they've narrowed down their list to three names.

According to Marc Stein of the New York Times, former Grizzles coach David Fizdale, former Cavaliers coach David Blatt and former Hawks coach Mike Budenzholer are prime candidates for the position. All three names have something in common: They all have playoff experience and probably don't have the patience to go through a rebuild. It's very clear what direction New York wants to take with its next coach. It's interested in winning right away.

The Knicks are widely expected to make a hire as early as this week after interviewing nearly a dozen candidates, with David Blatt, Mike Budenholzer and David Fizdale regarded as prime contenders

— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) May 2, 2018

However, while these names have emerged as front runners, former Warriors coach Mark Jackson is trying to make a late push for the vacancy. According to Stein, Jackson and Knicks president Steve Mills have a mutual friend in Kevin Durant's business partner Rich Kleiman. A long time Knicks fan, Kleiman is making advocating for Jackson behind the scenes.

Interesting wrinkle in the Knicks' coaching search: League sources say Mark Jackson has received a strong behind-the-scenes push from Rich Kleiman, Kevin Durant's longtime business partner and a lifelong Knicks fan who is close to both Jackson and Knicks president Steve Mills

— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) May 2, 2018

If the Knicks view Jackson as a worthy candidate, it should be based on his resume as a coach and not because of an influential friend's suggestion. That said, Jackson would fit the win-now mindset New York appears to have.

martin
USA
5/2/2018  6:27 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-david-fizdale-gains-traction-become-knicks-head-coach-221651390.html

Sources: David Fizdale gains traction in search for next Knicks head coach

David Fizdale has gained serious traction in the New York Knicks’ search to become the franchise’s next head coach, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Knicks interviewed a wide array of candidates for their vacant head-coaching position, and have considered other candidates that include former Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt, former Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson and former Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer, league sources said. No agreement between Fizdale and the Knicks has been finalized, league sources said.

Fizdale emerged as a leading candidate after the Knicks fired Jeff Hornacek once the end of the season, but the front office made sure to do its due diligence in meeting with more than 10 coaching candidates. The Knicks’ front office met with accomplished head coaches – such Budenhozler, the 2014-15 Coach of the Year, Jackson, Mike Brown – as well as strong assistant candidates in San Antonio’s James Borrego, Boston’s Jay Larranaga and Miami’s Juwan Howard.

Fizdale, 43, has a reputation for forging strong player relationships and has a championship pedigree as part of two title teams in Miami. He was fired in his second year as Memphis Grizzlies head coach last season after a 7-12 start. He helped lead Memphis to a 43-39 record and postseason berth in 2016-17.

Fizdale would bring the Knicks one of the most desirable coaches on the market. The Phoenix Suns also expressed significant interest in Fizdale for their coaching vacancy, league sources said.

Fizdale was an assistant for Golden State, Atlanta and Miami from 2003-16 before landing his first head-coaching job in Memphis.

The next Knicks Head Coach is...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy