newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

4/16/2018  1:17 PM
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

This is a good thing....There was a report that Charlotte was very interested in Fizdale...Hopefully they hire Messina as it will take them out of the running for Fizdale...Seriously, we better not let Fizdale leave our interview without a contract in hand...He will get snatched up very quickly.

I had the wrong impression of Fizz. I though he would be more of a slow the pace down type of coach. But read he and Gasol clashed due to him wanting to up the tempo while Gasol wanted to obviously play at his own pace.

They made the playoffs last yr with a less talented roster than the other teams in the West. Conley had an MVP type season under him.

Exactly...Fiz is a workaholic and a gym rat so to speak...What he did with that Memphis team in the west was amazing. See how fast they fell off the map once he was fired. I truly believe Fiz is next up in terms of great young coaches in the league. We cannot miss out on him.

I like Fiz and have him up there on my list but you're making him sound like the greatest thing out there...lol. Conley never had a MVP type season, All star type season he's had a few of but not MVP type and he has good seasons cause he's a great player when he's actually healthy and playing. They fell off after Fiz got fired because all their good players were injured and i'm sure having a new head coach didn't help matters. Again...i like Fiz and have him high on my list but New York is a whole different animal then Memphis.

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/16/2018  1:18 PM
like the fact that we are talking to so many people. This is smart.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

4/16/2018  1:22 PM
MS wrote:Jay Wright wouldn’t pick up the phone. You leave the best program in college for an injured KP, no cap space and question marks at every position. He’s taking the Sixers or Lakers jobs or staying at Villanova for the next 5 years.

Blatt wouldn’t get anyone excited and LeBron probably hasn’t helped his reputation around the league. That wwould ups be as bad a hire as a Derek Fisher.

Fiz is the guy you bring in. Players like him and position for 19.

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/16/2018  1:24 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:JVG not mentioned in the initial round of interviews.

Fizzdle, Blatt, JAckson and Stackhouse with Woodson also.

Perry's comments at the end of season presser seemed to be aimed specifically at JVG though:

“Maybe there’s a guy who’s been around the league for a long time who generally learned over time to be more open to things that they weren’t open to in the past,’’ Perry said Thursday. “Or, at least in a reflection of the staff that he wants to bring to help bolster areas that maybe he’s not as comfortable with. So we’ll vet all that out during the process as we meet with each and every person.”

Which other candidate thats been mentioned would that be applicable to? Sounds like he was saying if JVG wants the jobs, he'd have to be open to analytics, their opinions etc (JVG feuded with the GM in his first stint)

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/16/2018  1:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/16/2018  1:34 PM
smackeddog wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:JVG not mentioned in the initial round of interviews.

Fizzdle, Blatt, JAckson and Stackhouse with Woodson also.

Perry's comments at the end of season presser seemed to be aimed specifically at JVG though:

“Maybe there’s a guy who’s been around the league for a long time who generally learned over time to be more open to things that they weren’t open to in the past,’’ Perry said Thursday. “Or, at least in a reflection of the staff that he wants to bring to help bolster areas that maybe he’s not as comfortable with. So we’ll vet all that out during the process as we meet with each and every person.”

Which other candidate thats been mentioned would that be applicable to? Sounds like he was saying if JVG wants the jobs, he'd have to be open to analytics, their opinions etc (JVG feuded with the GM in his first stint)

That sounds like about every coach that is not currently employed and was. JVG got fired from the Rockets after three of four years they got bounced in first round.
His last year they were healthy. I did not follow his team there as I did in NY. There was more to his story than just NY.
After 11 years away, he no doubt has different ideas. We all do.
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/16/2018  2:55 PM
I have no idea why woodson and blatt would be on the list..just goes to show that nothing has change, and that mills is all about employing his friends just like DOLAN
ES
Nalod
USA
4/16/2018  3:06 PM
knicks1248 wrote:I have no idea why woodson and blatt would be on the list..just goes to show that nothing has change, and that mills is all about employing his friends just like DOLAN

WE appreciate your transparency. When you say "I have no idea"..... It says a lot.
Mills is a "Friend"? I have posted his background many times. You don't read do you?
Woodson was a friend of Isiah Hired by Donnie and very competent.
You bring in guys for interviews as favors, as a sign of respect and to exchange ideas and information. Might be a lost concept on you.
There is "Nepotism" and there is working with friends that have qualifications and with relationships comes a trust and communication you don't get with nepotism.
What is it about Blatt you don't like? That he was arrogant and demanded respect from Cav's?
The guy is very defensive minded.
Oh wait, your the guy that likes Mark Jax! The Homophobe evangelist adulterer who was paranoid about his assistants?

All the guys on the list have taints. You will not find one that checks all your boxes.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

4/16/2018  3:50 PM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I have no idea why woodson and blatt would be on the list..just goes to show that nothing has change, and that mills is all about employing his friends just like DOLAN

WE appreciate your transparency. When you say "I have no idea"..... It says a lot.
Mills is a "Friend"? I have posted his background many times. You don't read do you?
You bring in guys for interviews as favors, as a sign of respect and to exchange ideas and information. Might be a lost concept on you.
There is "Nepotism" and there is working with friends that have qualifications and with relationships comes a trust and communication you don't get with nepotism.
What is it about Blatt you don't like? That he was arrogant and demanded respect from Cav's?
Oh wait, your the guy that likes Mark Jax! The Homophobe evangelist adulterer who was paranoid about his assistants?

All the guys on the list have taints. You will not find one that checks all your boxes.

As myopic as this poster is, he is right about Woodson and Blatt. They both suck. It's like choosing between Clinton and Trump

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Nalod
USA
4/16/2018  3:56 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Nalod wrote:

As myopic as this poster is, he is right about Woodson and Blatt. They both suck. It's like choosing between Clinton and Trump

How does Blatt "Suck"? Woodson "suck"?

smackeddog
4/16/2018  4:10 PM
I liked woody as a person, but can never forget the frustration of watching us switch every time on defense and have iso melo for the end of game shot every time
Nalod
USA
4/16/2018  4:53 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23204362/new-york-knicks-not-currently-interest-hiring-jeff-van-gundy

No soup for JVG!

smackeddog
4/16/2018  5:04 PM
Nalod wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23204362/new-york-knicks-not-currently-interest-hiring-jeff-van-gundy

No soup for JVG!

Likely JVG wants Mark Jackson to get a shot first, maybe he won’t engage with knicks until mark is out of the running. Otherwise this is sheer foolishness!

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/16/2018  6:13 PM
I like this reasoning:

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
4/16/2018  7:13 PM
martin wrote:I like this reasoning:

If Blatt excels at player development then I'm sold.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/16/2018  7:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/16/2018  8:01 PM
Interesting read on Blatt's time in Cleveland...

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/01/why_david_blatt_got_fired_and.html

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio - Player accountability, mismanaging, a building frustration and the absence of hope led to David Blatt's ouster as head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Despite a 30-11 record, the defending Eastern Conference champs lost belief.

A team that loses faith in the leader on the sidelines is destined to eventually fail. But management recognized it and was forced to make the jaw-dropping decision that ended Blatt's tenure with the organization after an 83-40 record in one and a half seasons.

The record doesn't illustrate the turmoil and animosity that went on behind the scenes and how it ultimately led to Tyronn Lue becoming head coach. It all stemmed from issues from last year which were never quite resolved.

During the first portion of the 2014-15 season, film sessions were a topic of discussion among the players. Blatt was reluctant to criticize star players even when they clearly messed up a play. This became routine. It got so bad that I'm told that Lue finally intervened, stood up and demanded that somebody rewind the footage so that he could get on members of The Big 3.

During team scrimmages, players competed aggressively but bit their tongues as Blatt frequently blew his whistle to call ticky-tack or phantom fouls for his go-to players. One player said sometimes Blatt didn't even have a whistle and would yell at the top of his lungs to stop play and call a foul if one of his stars acted as if he was hit.

It was viewed as a blatant attempt to get in the good graces of his top talent. Blatt's leadership was in question. Players grew tired of this treatment. The locker room started resenting Blatt's handling, or lack thereof, when it came to dealing with his stars.

Word circulated to cleveland.com that Blatt had trouble drawing up plays out of timeouts. He would freeze up and waste precious seconds, one player said. He would even draw up plays for players who weren't in the game, another player said.

In the closeout game of the Eastern Conference Finals, a game the Cavaliers trounced the Atlanta Hawks by 30 to sweep the series; Blatt had signaled for Tristan Thompson to reenter in the closing minutes with the game already wrapped up. This was when Thompson was the team's most valuable big man with Kevin Love out of commission with a dislocated shoulder.

The bench couldn't believe it. They were shocked, as was Thompson, who never questions authority. LeBron James told Blatt to put somebody else in the game, out of concern a key cog might get hurt before The Finals, a league source said. Kendrick Perkins got the nod, and a few minutes later, Brendan Haywood's number was called to finish it out.

This season, Blatt almost didn't make it past 2015. The 29-point road trouncing at the hands of the Damian Lillard-less Portland Trail Blazers on Dec. 26 was close to being his next-to-last game. If it wasn't for a unimpressive win over Phoenix two days later, Blatt would have been shown the door the following morning, cleveland.com has learned.

Lue's connection with the players is rock solid, with a reputation for understanding how to manage personalities. He has played with two of the league's biggest personalities -- Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant -- and he's been coached by some of the greats.

Blatt didn't have the necessary relationship with his guys to get players to buy in. Lue is expected to hold players accountable. He's not afraid to give James a piece of his mind. Players from 1 down to 15 will be held responsible.

But this predicament wasn't Blatt's fault. He didn't sign up for this roster. He was brought in to be a teacher and help mold a young Kyrie Irving, a younger Andrew Wiggins and a young, fiery Dion Waiters. He had to adjust on the fly while coaching one of the most talented rosters in the league.

His accomplishments while at the helm shouldn't go unappreciated. He allowed his coaching staff to have bigger roles than what most head coaches would permit. He understood the learning curve he faced and trusted his staff to help him through it.

In the end, his inexperience at the top level of the game was too much to overcome on a team in championship or bust mode. The notion developed that he was holding the team back. Monday's Golden State Warriors' beat down at The Q on national television set the stage. Wednesday night in Brooklyn, the Cavaliers didn't act like a team that had just snatched up a nice bounce-back road win. I'm told the team had a defeated disposition immediately after.

The organization -- especially David Griffin -- knew it was time.

Lue will have only have led the team for 11 games, but will likely coach the Eastern Conference All-Stars in Toronto next month. Timing is everything.

Unfortunately for Blatt, he ran out of time when the team ran out of hope.

Uptown

4/16/2018  8:02 PM
I've suspected all along that Blatt doesn't check the box of relating to the players and getting all-player-buy-in...
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/16/2018  8:36 PM
Uptown wrote:I've suspected all along that Blatt doesn't check the box of relating to the players and getting all-player-buy-in...
could be a great coach but needs certain kinds of guys. Woodson struck me as less of a coach but good at getting the guys fired up. As they said there are very few that check all the boxes. What is key is developmental.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Sangfroid
Member: #2784

4/16/2018  8:37 PM
Nalod wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:LEaning to Fizz and Blatt now.

Blatt is a basketball lifer who has succeeded everytwhere. Even in Cleveland except for he was not liked by the crybaby LBJ. He would have won the title there had he stayed.

JVG is also good with me.

I am off on Jax and HELL NO to Woodson.

The issue with Blatt is he is viewed as an outsider by NBA standards. He doesn't have the connection to the players and is viewed as a guy who really struggled with the personnel piece of coaching. When he would do his game-planning, he would heavily rely on his assistant coaches to help him understand opposing players, because he did not know who a lot of these guys were. In a league where connections and networking with player is so important, he is lacking that one big area.

Anyone coming in we will have to be patient for many reasons. Stack has not coached in the NBA. He won't know the players.
Fizz will, but will have to contend with other issues. Im ok with all these guys BTW.
ALso, our roster is not great.

If we need an assistant that is up to date on current NBA players, then we'll hire one. Stack will need one.
Brad Stevens needed more than a year to get good.
Blatt in Cleveland was a bad fit. He was not hired to "Win now" but that's what it became. All these guys have some taint to them.
Blatt included.

My first choice is Blatt. I'm sure he'd like to pick up wear he left off after his departure from Cleveland. He has history with Mills, making it a seamless transition, and as you say, we're not in a win now situation. We're more in a development phase. In two seasons, we should be playoff ready.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

4/16/2018  8:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/16/2018  8:45 PM
smackeddog wrote:I liked woody as a person, but can never forget the frustration of watching us switch every time on defense and have iso melo for the end of game shot every time

I know. We had to put up with that 54 times during 2012 when we made the conference finals.

Dont worry, it will be Princeton mafia all the way. But not a bad choice imo.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Uptown

4/16/2018  9:16 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:I've suspected all along that Blatt doesn't check the box of relating to the players and getting all-player-buy-in...
could be a great coach but needs certain kinds of guys. Woodson struck me as less of a coach but good at getting the guys fired up. As they said there are very few that check all the boxes. What is key is developmental.

True...Still want no parts of Blatt and definitely say NO to Woody!!!

The next Knicks Head Coach is...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy