[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The next Knicks Head Coach is...
Author Thread
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/14/2018  11:21 AM
LivingLegend wrote:I do think JVG would bring max out of KP....that may be his biggest +
That is my thinking. He is a very good big man coach.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/14/2018  12:08 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:I do think JVG would bring max out of KP....that may be his biggest +
That is my thinking. He is a very good big man coach.

He had Ewing and Yao Ming. Was he really that good a Big man coach? Hard to measure his impact. He was a very good coach.
He preserved Ewings favored slow down pace to preserve his relevance in the offense that Nelson as set to deprive him of.
Ming? I can’t really say. Went to rockets to coach him. Have to go back and look at the circumstances.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
4/14/2018  12:15 PM
It should be JVG so the forum blurb can be relevant again:

NY Knicks Forum wrote:Let's talk Pure Knicks Love: players, games, trades, Jeff Van Gundy's civic. Anything Knicks related.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/14/2018  3:10 PM
If Perry and Mills were stressing defense in their presser than the logical choice is JVG. I have no problem with this move but Jeff will get the team into the playoffs. Player development would go up in smoke. JVG lives his veterans.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
4/14/2018  3:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/14/2018  4:04 PM
Markji wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Markji wrote:No to Mark Jackson - too contentious. Too big of a name and ego for our young developing team.

I agree with the premise that we should strongly consider hiring a black coach. At least make that one of the variables that potential coaches are graded on. I think it is a plus, especially if they can relate to the young players. But obviously everything else has to be taken into account as well.

My 2 top choices right now - both being equal are
Fizdale - Successful; good coach; can deal well with black players and also develop all the young players.
Blatt - very successful coach in all the leagues he has coached. We have 3 "starting players who are European - Porzingis; Frank N; Kanter (if he stays); Known by Mills and Craig Robinson.

Others to consider:
Stackhouse - but needs more experience IMO
Jarrett Jack - He would be great as an assistant coach but I think he will want to play at least one more year.

Why being black make coach relate better to the young players?
I do not think many players will agree with you.
Players need coach who is capable to guide them to greatness.
Greatness has no color, race, gender, sexual orientation or religion.
This all are irrelevant things.

You didn't read my post very carefully. Being a black coach is "ONE" variable which I would rate as a positive. Not the only variable. My top 2 choices as of now are Fizdale and Blatt(who is not Black). So isn't it obvious that I also grade my choices on other qualities, like the qualities you have said.
P.S. I am not black.

I'm confused. I usually stay out of racial hijinks, but you saying being black is a "variable which you would rate as positive". Are you implying that being white or any other non black race a a negative variable? Because your choice of words is heavily implying just that. Whether you're black, white, whatever, that is a very thin line to skate.

~You can't run from who you are.~
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/14/2018  4:15 PM
Vmart wrote:If Perry and Mills were stressing defense in their presser than the logical choice is JVG. I have no problem with this move but Jeff will get the team into the playoffs. Player development would go up in smoke. JVG lives his veterans.

So you think Jeff would be incapable to develop and play a rotation to fit his teams objectives?

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
4/14/2018  4:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/14/2018  4:42 PM
joec32033 wrote:
Markji wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Markji wrote:No to Mark Jackson - too contentious. Too big of a name and ego for our young developing team.

I agree with the premise that we should strongly consider hiring a black coach. At least make that one of the variables that potential coaches are graded on. I think it is a plus, especially if they can relate to the young players. But obviously everything else has to be taken into account as well.

My 2 top choices right now - both being equal are
Fizdale - Successful; good coach; can deal well with black players and also develop all the young players.
Blatt - very successful coach in all the leagues he has coached. We have 3 "starting players who are European - Porzingis; Frank N; Kanter (if he stays); Known by Mills and Craig Robinson.

Others to consider:
Stackhouse - but needs more experience IMO
Jarrett Jack - He would be great as an assistant coach but I think he will want to play at least one more year.

Why being black make coach relate better to the young players?
I do not think many players will agree with you.
Players need coach who is capable to guide them to greatness.
Greatness has no color, race, gender, sexual orientation or religion.
This all are irrelevant things.

You didn't read my post very carefully. Being a black coach is "ONE" variable which I would rate as a positive. Not the only variable. My top 2 choices as of now are Fizdale and Blatt(who is not Black). So isn't it obvious that I also grade my choices on other qualities, like the qualities you have said.
P.S. I am not black.

I'm confused. I usually stay out of racial hijinks, but you saying being black is a "variable which you would rate as positive". Are you implying that being white or any other non black race a a negative variable? Because your choice of words is heavily implying just that. Whether you're black, white, whatever, that is a very thin line to skate.

I think this way of thinking comes from the fact that most NBA players are African Americans and from believe that people with same cultural background can relay better to each other.
Being a valid point it promotes separation and all we heed (NBA team included) is unity.
So I hope this will not be a factor for coach selection at all.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/14/2018  5:37 PM
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:If Perry and Mills were stressing defense in their presser than the logical choice is JVG. I have no problem with this move but Jeff will get the team into the playoffs. Player development would go up in smoke. JVG lives his veterans.

So you think Jeff would be incapable to develop and play a rotation to fit his teams objectives?

Yes I do believe Jeff would be incapable of developing players. Can you name some of JVG’s developments? Yao Ming

Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

4/14/2018  7:34 PM
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Yes I do believe Jeff would be incapable of developing players. Can you name some of JVG’s developments? Yao Ming

JVG would be an incredibly bad fit. He already questions some things what players do when he's got the freedom to speak his mind as a commentator. He'd be totally unrelatable.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718

4/14/2018  7:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/14/2018  7:54 PM
"Stackhouse played in Detroit and has ties with Perry, who was an executive with the Pistons. Stackhouse spent one season as a Raptors assistant coach and the past two coaching their G League team. They reached the championship round both years."
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718

4/14/2018  7:54 PM
"It’d be a gamble, but it would be fun. Cassell has made his bones as an assistant coach in the league, and he has drawn consideration as a head coach in recent years. He’d be a good tutor for young point guard Frank Ntilikina — the Wizards’ John Wall gives Cassell a lot of credit for his development — and he’d always be an entertaining quote."
Cartman718

4/14/2018  8:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/14/2018  8:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/sixers/video/teams/sixers/2017/07/09/1518713/1499636342063-coach-pierce-media-71017-1518713

https://thesixersense.com/2016/05/06/meet-the-philadelphia-76ers-coaching-staff-lloyd-pierce/

Cartman718

4/14/2018  8:07 PM
"The former journeyman has fewer than three seasons as an NBA assistant under Popovich, but already has a number of fans around the league who have a ton of admiration for his basketball smarts, manner and personal journey.

Udoka was a fourth-round pick in the NBDL draft, and toiled in obscurity until he got an invite from his hometown Portland Trail Blazers, who were in search of a warm body, and he ended up starting 75 games. Naturally, the Spurs came calling, and he was adopted as family, spending three of the final five seasons of his playing career in San Antonio.

"He exudes a confidence and a comfort in his own skin where people just gravitate to him," Popovich says. "He's a fundamentally sound teacher because he's comfortable with himself, he knows the material and players read it. Often times, I'll say, 'Ime, can you go talk to so-and-so? Go talk to Patty Mills, go talk to Timmy, go talk to Kawhi.' And he'll do it better than I would do it -- and I'm not blowing smoke. The only thing I don't like about him is that he doesn't drink, so I can't enjoy a glass of wine with him. He's really boring at dinner."

Players and coaches who know him describe Udoka as a stoic with an even disposition, more of an inner intensity than a roaring fire. At Spurs U, he's at the finest graduate school in the league, alongside another oft-mentioned name, Boylen, who was listed in 2014 as a future head coach. Udoka probably has a couple more years of seasoning ahead of him, but it's not long before he hits the interview circuit."

Cartman718

4/14/2018  8:11 PM
http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/features/nick-van-exel-160608
smackeddog
Member: #883
4/15/2018  3:24 AM
Cartman718 wrote:"Stackhouse played in Detroit and has ties with Perry, who was an executive with the Pistons. Stackhouse spent one season as a Raptors assistant coach and the past two coaching their G League team. They reached the championship round both years."

Like I said on the other thread, he comes across well in this video:

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/15/2018  10:32 AM
If Mark Jackson or JVG end up being the main candidates, Id like to see if they both can be brought on. See if Jeff would be willing to be an asst again, seeing how long he has been out of coaching. Good way to working back to a head coaching gig again. Wouldnt be the first former head coach to go that route.

Theyve worked together before on and off the court. The fans would love it. Maybe bring in some coaches with a more offensive mindset as well.

To be honest, other coaches Id rather see get a shot first, but having both Mark and Jeff working as a team would be preferable to just one of them getting the job.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/15/2018  11:00 AM
smackeddog wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:"Stackhouse played in Detroit and has ties with Perry, who was an executive with the Pistons. Stackhouse spent one season as a Raptors assistant coach and the past two coaching their G League team. They reached the championship round both years."

Like I said on the other thread, he comes across well in this video:

He does...But this is the most important hire for this franchise in some time...Perry really needs to hit a homerun. Not sure if he's willing to put his job on the line to hire a guy without NBA head coaching experience when you consider the other candidates....I like Stack and think he deserves a job but not sure he's the right hire for us right now....

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

4/15/2018  11:56 AM
Cartman718 wrote:"The former journeyman has fewer than three seasons as an NBA assistant under Popovich, but already has a number of fans around the league who have a ton of admiration for his basketball smarts, manner and personal journey.

Udoka was a fourth-round pick in the NBDL draft, and toiled in obscurity until he got an invite from his hometown Portland Trail Blazers, who were in search of a warm body, and he ended up starting 75 games. Naturally, the Spurs came calling, and he was adopted as family, spending three of the final five seasons of his playing career in San Antonio.

"He exudes a confidence and a comfort in his own skin where people just gravitate to him," Popovich says. "He's a fundamentally sound teacher because he's comfortable with himself, he knows the material and players read it. Often times, I'll say, 'Ime, can you go talk to so-and-so? Go talk to Patty Mills, go talk to Timmy, go talk to Kawhi.' And he'll do it better than I would do it -- and I'm not blowing smoke. The only thing I don't like about him is that he doesn't drink, so I can't enjoy a glass of wine with him. He's really boring at dinner."

Players and coaches who know him describe Udoka as a stoic with an even disposition, more of an inner intensity than a roaring fire. At Spurs U, he's at the finest graduate school in the league, alongside another oft-mentioned name, Boylen, who was listed in 2014 as a future head coach. Udoka probably has a couple more years of seasoning ahead of him, but it's not long before he hits the interview circuit."

When Poppovich actually endorses someone you gotta look at him. But coaching is more than being able to talk to players and connect withthem, though that part has been severly missing from the knicks. The coach has to create a startegy that maximizes the capabilities of his player but is also something that can be continued after key players leave. He has to also communicate it almost daily and then he has to make sure it's being accepted. If you check all those checkboxes then you get to the accountability part.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
4/15/2018  12:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2018  12:02 PM
Who ever the coach is. He has to first and foremost excel at player development. We have guys like KP, Frank, Dotson, Troy, Kornet, Burke, this yr and next yrs lotto picks all need to be able to get the the next level. After that coaching will be easier for either that coach or the next one.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/15/2018  12:33 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
The next Knicks Head Coach is...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy