The next Knicks Head Coach is...
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/13/2018  1:17 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

as of right now, my top two candidates would be Fizzdale or Clifford. Clifford only just became an option. so, yes, I think the Knicks should slow this decision down

Is Cliff healthy. I like him, but wonder about his ability to last in NY. Also, did Willy just get two coaches fired? Iscoach killer another label we can throw at him lol
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/13/2018  2:59 PM
Did Choo make the deal for Willy??
Nalod
USA
4/13/2018  3:45 PM
JVG has not coached in 11 years.
His tenure with rockets was riddled with 3 first round exits in 4 years. Injuries sabotaged his run.
His last year the team finishes strong but they got bounced in first round and was FIRED.
His teams were deemed offensively not up to the task.
Does that mean he can't coach? Im sure he could and adapt to the modern game. He is a very smart fellow.
His rants don't make him smarter or a better coach, its entertainment. I find them tiring actually.
I was a big JVG fan and loved those exhausted press conferences after playoff games where he looked like he had not slept in days and slugged down diet cokes!!!!
But that was then. 11 coaches later, we still pining for him? Of course, he represents our last link to success era.
Fact is the franchise would have been better off keeping Nelson, trading Ewing and moved forward. but we did not, I enjoyed the era never the less but bring him back?
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
4/13/2018  4:33 PM
Bring on Sam Cassel...who will have Kenny Smith as an advisor.

I would feel safe having this combination part of our coaching staff.

Never been a JVG fan. Mark Jackson like Kenny Smith are NY guys. But from listening to Mark Jackson vs Kenny
Smith basketball IQ, it's not even close for me. Not sure why his name doesn't come up more, but to me he's one of the smartest basketball minds who's young enough to relate to todays players and experienced enough to understand what it takes to be a champion.

Kenny has the best of both worlds....I trust his basketball IQ. And he's a true NY'er born and raised.

If we hire Mark Jackson, I think he needs JVG on his staff for that to work. I doubt they both leave ESPN together.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/13/2018  4:52 PM
Nalod wrote:JVG has not coached in 11 years.
His tenure with rockets was riddled with 3 first round exits in 4 years. Injuries sabotaged his run.
His last year the team finishes strong but they got bounced in first round and was FIRED.
Does that mean he can't coach? Im sure he could and adapt to the modern game. He is a very smart fellow.
His rants don't make him smarter or a better coach, its entertainment. I find them tiring actually.
I was a big JVG fan and loved those exhausted press conferences after playoff games where he looked like he had not slept in days and slugged down diet cokes!!!!
But that was then. 11 coaches later, we still pining for him? Of course, he represents our last link to success era.
Fact is the franchise would have been better off keeping Nelson, trading Ewing and moved forward. but we did not, I enjoyed the era never the less but bring him back?

Pointing out how he left the game is important. I doubt he would do it, but considering how long he has been out, it would be great if JVG came back as an asst to someone like Vogel as technomaster pointed out.

Mark Jackson feels like Isiah part deux. I would be concerned about Rivers trying to remove Perry from the equation. Getting back the control he had in LA, for a while. Fizdale would have to deal with the NY media over his stance on some issues, as others have pointed out.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

4/13/2018  6:06 PM
I go

Blatt
Stack
Fiz
Kidd

of currently available guys -- Clifford I like but when watching Hornets this year never got sense they were fully locked in. Give Blatt a shot.

LivingLegend

4/13/2018  6:07 PM

JVG runs BRUTAL offense and he quit on the franchise (his own team). That said -- I still like him because he is focused/driven/defensive minded.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/13/2018  6:26 PM
NYKBocker wrote:

I would love to have JVG back. Listening to McGrady praise him like that was awesome.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/13/2018  6:32 PM
LivingLegend wrote:

JVG runs BRUTAL offense and he quit on the franchise (his own team). That said -- I still like him because he is focused/driven/defensive minded.

I thought the death of his friend in 9/11 was why Jeff left.
http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/fallen-friend-inspiration-van-article-1.932920
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/13/2018  6:38 PM
We have a lot of young players on the roster. And will probably be bringing in more. Need a coach that will develop skills sets first and foremost. Then after he gets fired. We can bring in a coach that knows how to win games with a roster that was already developed by the previous coach.

If we can find a coach that can do both then even better.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

4/13/2018  6:44 PM
I want Phil Jackson to coach
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
4/13/2018  7:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/13/2018  7:11 PM
No to Mark Jackson - too contentious. Too big of a name and ego for our young developing team.

I agree with the premise that we should strongly consider hiring a black coach. At least make that one of the variables that potential coaches are graded on. I think it is a plus, especially if they can relate to the young players. But obviously everything else has to be taken into account as well.

My 2 top choices right now - both being equal are
Fizdale - Successful; good coach; can deal well with black players and also develop all the young players.
Blatt - very successful coach in all the leagues he has coached. We have 3 "starting players who are European - Porzingis; Frank N; Kanter (if he stays); Known by Mills and Craig Robinson.

Others to consider:
Stackhouse - but needs more experience IMO
Jarrett Jack - He would be great as an assistant coach but I think he will want to play at least one more year.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
4/13/2018  8:13 PM
Perry says he wants someone to deal with the media and who has experience :
If Fizdale heads to Hornets I can seeneither JVG or Jackson step up. Both experienced and both capable. Listen to McGrady re : JVG and how he envisions Jeff’s relationship w KP. Excellent
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
4/13/2018  8:36 PM
Markji wrote:No to Mark Jackson - too contentious. Too big of a name and ego for our young developing team.

I agree with the premise that we should strongly consider hiring a black coach. At least make that one of the variables that potential coaches are graded on. I think it is a plus, especially if they can relate to the young players. But obviously everything else has to be taken into account as well.

Fizdale - Successful; good coach; can deal well with black players and also develop all the young players.
Blatt - very successful coach in all the leagues he has coached. We have 3 "starting players who are European - Porzingis; Frank N; Kanter (if he stays); Known by Mills and Craig Robinson.

Others to consider:
Jarrett Jack - He would be great as an assistant coach but I think he will want to play at least one more year.

Why being black make coach relate better to the young players?
I do not think many players will agree with you.
Players need coach who is capable to guide them to greatness.
Greatness has no color, race, gender, sexual orientation or religion.
This all are irrelevant things.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
4/14/2018  6:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/14/2018  6:53 AM
arkrud wrote:
Markji wrote:No to Mark Jackson - too contentious. Too big of a name and ego for our young developing team.

Others to consider:

Why being black make coach relate better to the young players?
I do not think many players will agree with you.
Players need coach who is capable to guide them to greatness.
Greatness has no color, race, gender, sexual orientation or religion.
This all are irrelevant things.

You didn't read my post very carefully. Being a black coach is "ONE" variable which I would rate as a positive. Not the only variable. My top 2 choices as of now are Fizdale and Blatt(who is not Black). So isn't it obvious that I also grade my choices on other qualities, like the qualities you have said.
P.S. I am not black.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
Swishfm3
Member: #392
4/14/2018  8:05 AM
Doesn't matter who the coach is. This roster is flawed, always has been, and too much money is tied up on mediocre players to be able to move "the needle". KP is NOT an "alpha" player and no real PG, with nothing significant coming in through the draft or free agency.

Knicks will be in the lottery again for the next 2 years (at least)...at that time, fans and media will again be wondering who will the Knicks bring in to be that next magical coach that will finally make KP into the MVP he is destined to be and turn Frank into a world class point guard.

LivingLegend

4/14/2018  8:28 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/fallen-friend-inspiration-van-article-1.932920

Not how I remember the situation and if it was does that really sound like a legit reason for you. What if we hire h8m and someone else close passes...is he gone again?

Not a JVG hater...just worry we have been there done that...don’t recall many of these reach into the past and pull out a miracle coach th8ngs happening. Almost every franchise does it...reaches for ex that had good run and ultimately things level off.

LivingLegend

4/14/2018  8:29 AM
I do think JVG would bring max out of KP....that may be his biggest +
wargames
Member: #6053

4/14/2018  8:50 AM
It should be Stackhouse.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Nalod
USA
4/14/2018  8:53 AM
LivingLegend wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Not how I remember the situation and if it was does that really sound like a legit reason for you. What if we hire h8m and someone else close passes...is he gone again?

Not a JVG hater...just worry we have been there done that...don’t recall many of these reach into the past and pull out a miracle coach th8ngs happening. Almost every franchise does it...reaches for ex that had good run and ultimately things level off.

Do you repeat everything in you life as you did one before?
Do you not learn, grow, change, evolve, from the events in your life and react differently?
Change clothes, food, colors, cars, etc?
You assume because Phil wanted his triangle, a system that elevated him to the all time chip list to continue that all coaches are linear?
Maybe now he understands that about 5 years is the max before burnout occurs, also experience teaches us many lessons for later use in our personal data base and how to deal with adversity.
I commend Jeff or “Bailing”, team was going knowwhere and he was cooked.

The next Knicks Head Coach is...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy