[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The next Knicks Head Coach is...
Author Thread
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

4/13/2018  1:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/13/2018  9:53 AM
First of all, I for one am sorry to see Hornacek go. I think he did treat players fairly for the most part. Maybe there some entitlement in there in the rift with Noah. X's and O's he did a decent job I think, especially this season. Players did have a hard time "listening" to him, and I think that was his downfall ultimately...that he's not relatable.

Now, moving on to the coaching search...personally, I don't think ANY of the coaching candidates mentioned in the papers are going to be picked.

#1 reason for this: Patience was the biggest keyword in the conversation with media from both Perry and Mills. Any head coach that has established himself in the NBA is not going to be given that kind of rope.

#2 reason for this: Doc Rivers hasn't won anything in the league since Boston's last championship, Mark Jackson's homophobia has no place in today's NBA and he's also not known as an X's and O's guy. Fizdale...I don't think he's ready for NYC. For the other candidates mentioned in the papers, I don't think they're ready for NYC either. They're either college coaches who must make their mark since they are already head coaches or...they are candidates that are just not intriguing.

The only name already mentioned in the papers that is intriguing to me is Jerry Stackhouse. I do think that the next coach of the Knicks will be African American. It would make the Knicks the only NBA Team completely managed by a front office led by Black men. The good optics of that as well as how that plays into enticing players to come play for the Knicks in a league where star players constantly talk about the need for being understood by society, this would be a big plus for the Knicks.

I honestly don't see another White coach coming to the Knicks this go around. Perry and Mills started a good repair of the Knicks' image after Phil was completely unrelatable. They need to jumpstart the franchise's head office relatability by hiring a Black coach.

Also, since patience is key, I honestly do not see a Head Coach of another franchise being brought in...but probably one of the assistant coaches instead.

Case for Jerry Stackhouse
-------------------------
1. Assistant coach for 3 years, therefore raw and easier to mold by the front office
2. Grateful for the opportunity if it knocks
3. Only 3 years of coaching experience, therefore patience already awarded
4. Has helped coach the dynamic Lowry Derozan duo, therefore could help Burke, Frank, Dotson, Hardaway
5. Young enough to be relatable by the players on the team.

Case for Lloyd Pierce
---------------------
1. 76ers assistant coach so he obviously knows what a rebuild looks like and has the temperament for it
2. Knows a thing or two about patience himself and can be in it for the long haul
3. Very very relatable and knows star players around the league
4. Seems cerebral and thoughtful on the sidelines as opposed to winging it (hopefully that translates to some good X's and O's)

Case for Juwan Howard
---------------------
1. After what the Heat went through in terms of roster churn, the fact that this coaching staff still managed to pull together a playoff spot is a testament to their excellence
2. Miami Heat roster is full of young players, if there's anything the coaching staff on this team is...it's relatable
3. Even as a player, he was very even keeled and you could see head coaching in his future
4. The Michigan connection means that Burke and Hardaway at least would bond quickly with the coach, as long as he's still holding players equally accountable
5. Good communicator with players and front office, also a professional attitude, he gives the impression of having the ability of maximizing a player's talent
6. Young in his assistant coaching career of 5 years and therefore still moldable

Case for Ime Udoka
------------------
1. Spurs assistant coach, what else is there to say?
2. With Kawhi on the outs, hiring him could mean a potential signing of Kawhi with the Knicks
3. If you are a coach for the Spurs, you are organized for sure, but he has the reputation of being a good communicator too
4. Considering his name has already surfaced in past years, he definitely would be interviewed.
5. How relatable, I don't know...but his youth combined with Spurs experience would mean that he brings pedigree AND would still be given enough rope.

Case for Sam Cassell
--------------------
1. Very smart player, knows X's and O's, was always a voice on the court
2. Even as an assistant coach, he's talking to players constantly during timeouts
3. Hard worker, grinder and would instill that "dog" mentality into his team
4. Knows when to joke it up and when to be serious, young players can relate to that balance.

Case for Nick Van Exel
----------------------
1. Very similar to Sam Cassell in terms of basketball smarts
2. Grateful for the opportunity if it knocks, he'd never be the type to be considered a head coach
3. Unassuming, serious, and here's an interesting link to his mindset
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2017/07/23/grizzlies-nick-van-exel-evolution-athlete-and-man/497582001/
4. He'd definitely get enough rope from front office and patience to develop his "brand" of basketball.
5. Knows how to relate to players and front office both

Long shot case for Jarrett Jack
-------------------------------
1. Everyone already thinks Head Coaching is in his career, why not let him start now?
2. Patience = losing the next few years. He'd probably sign for a cheap contract too.
3. Relatibility to the max...he's already a player on the team.
4. On the surface, this reeks of front office not having a plan, but he's got the voice to be influential with each player on the team
5. X's and O's will come in time.
6. Cinderella story on career resurrection?

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
Member: #41
4/13/2018  2:48 AM
i could see stack. no one else of the above.

i think it will be blatt though

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/13/2018  7:16 AM
I really want JVG
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/13/2018  7:59 AM
Cartman718, you made some good points.
I’m very encouraged that Mills reports that Dolan is patient (also his band is on the road with the eagles) making the whole “process” now very different.
I have discussed Blatt in another thread and the Princeton connection is obvious. Craig Robinson’s name has been mentioned but I have no thoughts on that other than he is a bright Princeton fellow with a bright sister and well to do brother in law! Other than Mark Jax, I’m open to a lot of ideas.
The “Patient” quote tells me Doc Rivers likely not,
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
4/13/2018  9:25 AM
I think the coach will be Jackson, JVG, or Stackhouse. I don't see the other candidates over coming these three. Stackhouse is the long shot but if they are serious about patience then getting a young coach will help encourage the fans to be patient.
Trust the Process
wargames
Member: #6053

4/13/2018  9:38 AM
I think it's going to be Stackhouse
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Nalod
USA
4/13/2018  10:08 AM
TheGame wrote:I think the coach will be Jackson, JVG, or Stackhouse. I don't see the other candidates over coming these three. Stackhouse is the long shot but if they are serious about patience then getting a young coach will help encourage the fans to be patient.

where does this JVG thing come from?

Cartman718

4/13/2018  10:15 AM
Nalod wrote:
TheGame wrote:I think the coach will be Jackson, JVG, or Stackhouse. I don't see the other candidates over coming these three. Stackhouse is the long shot but if they are serious about patience then getting a young coach will help encourage the fans to be patient.

where does this JVG thing come from?

ikr. he walked out on knicks due to stress and loves his ranting gig as an analyst too much

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718

4/13/2018  10:15 AM
NYKBocker wrote:I really want JVG

why

Cartman718

4/13/2018  10:16 AM
Caseloads wrote:i could see stack. no one else of the above.

i think it will be blatt though

why not any of the others

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/13/2018  11:00 AM
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/13/2018  11:06 AM
Cartman718 wrote:

why

probably because that's the last time we were truly a good team. MDA and JVG are my favorites

ES
Nalod
USA
4/13/2018  11:08 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

why

probably because that's the last time we were truly a good team. MDA and JVG are my favorites

We have had 11 coaches since JVG!!! That's crazy! A few HOF'ers too!

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/13/2018  11:20 AM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

why

I am one of the JVG fans but he’s been away for far too long. I get it that Hubie Brown was away for a long ass time then came back and was successful with Memphis but that doesn’t mean it can happen again. The game changed A LOT since JVG was around. He quit on the Knicks the first season hand-checking was outlawed!

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
knicks1248
4/13/2018  11:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/13/2018  11:45 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

why

I am one of the JVG fans but he’s been away for far too long. I get it that Hubie Brown was away for a long ass time then came back and was successful with Memphis but that doesn’t mean it can happen again. The game changed A LOT since JVG was around. He quit on the Knicks the first season hand-checking was outlawed!

his job is to analyzing games every day, how has he been away from the game. He was sitting right next to KERR and mark jackson two guys who had no coaching experience that both went to being successful coaches.

he clearly knows what direction the NBA has gone in. It's not like he is sitting in montana with a pipe and snake skin slippers

ES
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/13/2018  11:48 AM
NYKBocker wrote:

as of right now, my top two candidates would be Fizzdale or Clifford. Clifford only just became an option. so, yes, I think the Knicks should slow this decision down

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Cartman718

4/13/2018  12:21 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

why

both of you must have missed the part where mills and perry used the word patience 14 times on the coaching search
blkexec
Member: #748
4/13/2018  12:39 PM
I want Kenny Smith
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
knicks1248
4/13/2018  12:41 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

why

both of you must have missed the part where mills and perry used the word patience 14 times on the coaching search

with coaches dropping like flies, (espn said a potential 10 coaches will be fired in the next few wks)choices will be narrowing down pretty quickly

ES
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
4/13/2018  1:14 PM
Boy, it's amazing how quickly teams turn on these young coaching shining stars... and how quickly the youth label escapes them. :)

I'm still a big fan of Frank Vogel, who coached some mediocre Pacers teams to the conference finals. Then the PG13 injury happened. Big things were expected when he was passed on by the Knicks and was hired by Orlando. Even with superstar PG [semi-sarcasm] Elfrid Payton, they didn't get it done. Their roster lacks a true star. At least we had KP to lean on.

I really like the idea of Sam Cassell as our coach - heady player, a bit of the "rich man's Jack". As a player he'd will his team's to win. He's a 3-time champion - obviously his first 2 were with Houston (killing the Knicks in the process) and added another in his final season with the Celtics. So he's got some Rudy T and Doc Rivers in him.

Rivers would be an excellent choice, but ain't no fixing our deficiencies in a year.

Any (prospective) coaches needs to REALLY want to coach in the NBA, because this is far from a dream job.
They need to accept that:
* the team is almost a lock to be sub-500 and miss the playoffs despite the coach's best efforts(barring major improvements to Ntilikina, Burke shows this year wasn't a mirage, Kanter returning, and KP returning at 110% his pre-injury form)
* if KP doesn't come back 100%, it's practically a ticket to getting fired in 2 years.
* our front-office and training/medical staff are still a bit of a mess.
* the fans on most days will criticize your every move and the media will make sure to spread the word on your flaws.

The pros:
* You have a young stud in KP as your core building block. Few players in the league possess his upside.
* If you win in NY, you are a legend (at least for a few days)
* Hey, even if it's a terrible situation, it's one of 30 jobs like it on the planet.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
The next Knicks Head Coach is...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy