[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Hornacek is out...per Woj
Author Thread
PhilinLA
Posts: 24896
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/12/2004
Member: #696
4/12/2018  11:32 AM
Hoping for Jay Wright. Expecting something stupid to be done.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
AUTOADVERT
reub
Posts: 21775
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2016
Member: #6227

4/12/2018  11:43 AM
If Jay Wright is stupid enough to leave Villanova then I don't want him.
fitzfarm
Posts: 23717
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/28/2010
Member: #3285

4/12/2018  11:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/12/2018  11:54 AM
reub wrote:If Jay Wright is stupid enough to leave Villanova then I don't want him.

Lol, gotta hope he is that stupid ! I think kp and frank would flourish under wright, and you know bridges would be a shoe in if available. I wouldn’t mind seeing JVG back either
WaltLongmire
Posts: 27542
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

4/12/2018  12:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/12/2018  12:58 PM
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:I like Jeff and thought he could have been part of a turn around here. The fact that the FO didnt wait for exit interviews or anything is telling. They were done with him.

Hopefully they have someone already essentially picked out and agreed to. If it turns out to be some search its a bad sign

I know your not a fan of either, but It's probably BLATT or Mark Jack, maybe even JVG


I have no problem with Blatt. He would be logical and is a Mills/Perry guy. I dont want Mark Jackson because he's too dumb for NY and JVG is never coming back to the Knicks org and sure as hell aint working under Mills. Blatt makes a ton of sense.

Blatt had a good reputation overseas, which was hurt by him having to deal with James, who fancies himself to be a coach and GM, as well as a player.

I think we have a young enough squad for it to be molded by the right coach, and Blatt once had a rep as being an innovative guy.

There were moments this year where our offense looked pretty good, especially before Hardaway's first injury.
You also saw some decent D at times...we were just not able to be consistent on either end.

I don't know enough about Jackson to agree or disagree with your assessment on him. I won't lie though, I like the fact that Mark is a local boy...Brooklyn...St. Johns...Knicks, though that should have nothing to do with taking him on as a HC.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
meloshouldgo
Posts: 25066
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/3/2014
Member: #5801

4/12/2018  12:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/12/2018  12:54 PM
Nalod wrote:I agree he was never give a chance to succeed given the circumstances with injuries to KP and lack of depth.
I thought he did OK and developed the kids nice.
They want their guy and that makes sense.
I suppose the exit interviews cant be done with. Guy your planning on firing so best to do it asap.
I’m good with Stack, Blatt, Fizz and anyone not JVG or Mark Jax.
I have no real problem with JVG other than the retread thing. Jax no for reasons he got fired in GSW.

I think he did ok with development for Frank. He did very little or nothing for Dotson. Also don't think he has impacted KP the way I had hoped he would.

But his insolence and stubbornness in playing vets and not taking out whoever was playing well in order to lose games at the end absolutely should count against him. Every team does this and no team officially declares it. The coach is expected to use his brains and ours didn't.

The only things that trickle down are wages and horse shit
WaltLongmire
Posts: 27542
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

4/12/2018  1:06 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Nalod wrote:I agree he was never give a chance to succeed given the circumstances with injuries to KP and lack of depth.
I thought he did OK and developed the kids nice.
They want their guy and that makes sense.
I suppose the exit interviews cant be done with. Guy your planning on firing so best to do it asap.
I’m good with Stack, Blatt, Fizz and anyone not JVG or Mark Jax.
I have no real problem with JVG other than the retread thing. Jax no for reasons he got fired in GSW.

I think he did ok with development for Frank. He did very little or nothing for Dotson. Also don't think he has impacted KP the way I had hoped he would.

But his insolence and stubbornness in playing vets and not taking out whoever was playing well in order to lose games at the end absolutely should count against him. Every team does this and no team officially declares it. The coach is expected to use his brains and ours didn't.

Yeah...he should have given Dotson more playing time.

I felt things should have changed drastically as soon as KP went down...the problem Hornacek had, though, is that he clearly realized he was fighting for his job, and was pushing buttons to win game, not develop players.

I would have force fed Frank, Dotson, and even Mudiay. I think he did a good job finding out what Burke can to the table. I also would have given Kornet more minutes.

There was also no reason why Hernangomez couldn't have gotten more time- at the very least he could have improved his value so we might have received more for him.

Tough position for a coach to be in, though.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
ccch
Posts: 20049
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/28/2012
Member: #3876

4/12/2018  1:23 PM
Fell sorry for Jeff...I think Kurt undermined him hoping they would hire him as the next HC. When all is said and done, I just hope Rambis is gone too.
WaltLongmire
Posts: 27542
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

4/12/2018  1:36 PM
ccch wrote:Fell sorry for Jeff...I think Kurt undermined him hoping they would hire him as the next HC. When all is said and done, I just hope Rambis is gone too.

Already been announced that he is gone, too.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Uptown
Posts: 26660
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 4/1/2008
Member: #1883

4/12/2018  1:39 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:I like Jeff and thought he could have been part of a turn around here. The fact that the FO didnt wait for exit interviews or anything is telling. They were done with him.

Hopefully they have someone already essentially picked out and agreed to. If it turns out to be some search its a bad sign

I know your not a fan of either, but It's probably BLATT or Mark Jack, maybe even JVG


I have no problem with Blatt. He would be logical and is a Mills/Perry guy. I dont want Mark Jackson because he's too dumb for NY and JVG is never coming back to the Knicks org and sure as hell aint working under Mills. Blatt makes a ton of sense.

Blatt had a good reputation overseas, which was hurt by him having to deal with James, who fancies himself to be a coach and GM, as well as a player.

I think we have a young enough squad for it to be molded by the right coach, and Blatt once had a rep as being an innovative guy.

There were moments this year where our offense looked pretty good, especially before Hardaway's first injury.
You also saw some decent D at times...we were just not able to be consistent on either end.

I don't know enough about Jackson to agree or disagree with your assessment on him. I won't lie though, I like the fact that Mark is a local boy...Brooklyn...St. Johns...Knicks, though that should have nothing to do with taking him on as a HC.

I dont want any parts of Blatt...I can see him having issues getting all players to buy-in...Regardless if its all because of LeBron or not, Blatt comes with a label and this is a very important hire for us. Additionally, he will try to rebuild himself under the bright lights of MSG in the face of the NY media? No thanks

knicks1248
Posts: 37406
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
4/12/2018  1:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/12/2018  1:51 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
magicTs wrote:He deserved to be fired for allowing us to win 2 games in the last few days. That alone was reason enough. An absolute ****show of a season yet again. Good riddance.

Had a feeling he would be fired after they won last night. Pretty sure they would have asked him to tank if Hornacek was coming back. Tough for them to say "We're firing you Jeff, but would you mind adding a few more Ls to your record?

This is as much about the next coach as it was about this one.

I saw it coming because

1)Too many spats or disagreements with players..KP, Melo, jennings, KOQ, NOAH.

2)Too many 3rd quarter disappearing acts

3)the team quit on him during 1-17 stretch (part of which kp was still healthy)

4)failure too identify players roles

5)No system whatsoever

6)No consistent rotation

7)Poor development of young players

8)coming to the podium smiling and joking after 10 straight losses,like losing wasn't even fazing him

9)worst "final minute play calling coach" in knicks history

10)60-104= 36.5 winning%

Great personality though

3rd quarter disappearing acts were the top concern to me. That's all coaching.

Not all coaching, players matter as well, but you're right it was an issue.

The one thing i forgot that i have been saying all season long...


With Hornacek, was it communication with you guys, or communication with the players?
Mills: "There weren’t any communication issues per se with us. ...There were just a lot of things we thought we could be better at … like player accountability."

he only got on 2 players BEASELY and NOAH, everybody else could do no harm, just play though your mistakes..

ES
reub
Posts: 21775
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2016
Member: #6227

4/12/2018  2:04 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
magicTs wrote:He deserved to be fired for allowing us to win 2 games in the last few days. That alone was reason enough. An absolute ****show of a season yet again. Good riddance.

Had a feeling he would be fired after they won last night. Pretty sure they would have asked him to tank if Hornacek was coming back. Tough for them to say "We're firing you Jeff, but would you mind adding a few more Ls to your record?

This is as much about the next coach as it was about this one.

I saw it coming because

1)Too many spats or disagreements with players..KP, Melo, jennings, KOQ, NOAH.

2)Too many 3rd quarter disappearing acts

3)the team quit on him during 1-17 stretch (part of which kp was still healthy)

4)failure too identify players roles

5)No system whatsoever

6)No consistent rotation

7)Poor development of young players

8)coming to the podium smiling and joking after 10 straight losses,like losing wasn't even fazing him

9)worst "final minute play calling coach" in knicks history

10)60-104= 36.5 winning%

Great personality though

3rd quarter disappearing acts were the top concern to me. That's all coaching.

Not all coaching, players matter as well, but you're right it was an issue.

The one thing i forgot that i have been saying all season long...


With Hornacek, was it communication with you guys, or communication with the players?
Mills: "There weren’t any communication issues per se with us. ...There were just a lot of things we thought we could be better at … like player accountability."

he only got on 2 players BEASELY and NOAH, everybody else could do no harm, just play though your mistakes..

Not true. He sat Frank when he screwed up. O'Quinn too. McDermott would not play for days. Kanter would sit at the end of every close game. Dotson wasn't allowed to get any minutes for most of the year. Willy obviously too.

BigRedDog
Posts: 21889
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 1/23/2004
Member: #569
4/12/2018  2:21 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Saw some stats about how the Knicks shared the rock under Hornacek, not seen by this franchise in decades. Hornacek got them to set more screens than Ive seen any Knick coach do, in many, many, years. They were playing D, and bought in until KP was out for the season. Also called effective plays out of timeouts.

Nevermind his relationship with Noah (brought that on himself). Telling Willy to tell KP he is playing like a bitch (Willy?) was a bitch move. Believe Hornacek got spoiled in Utah. As good as Jeff was, I think he forgot what its like to have two future HOFers on your team, doing most of the heavy lifting. Has to do a better job of relating to players who dont have a Stockton/Malone to pass to.

Rarely saw any screens set and their defense sucked

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
BigRedDog
Posts: 21889
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 1/23/2004
Member: #569
4/12/2018  2:22 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Please hire JVG

Why so he can quit on this franchise again???

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
WaltLongmire
Posts: 27542
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

4/12/2018  2:23 PM
Uptown wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:I like Jeff and thought he could have been part of a turn around here. The fact that the FO didnt wait for exit interviews or anything is telling. They were done with him.

Hopefully they have someone already essentially picked out and agreed to. If it turns out to be some search its a bad sign

I know your not a fan of either, but It's probably BLATT or Mark Jack, maybe even JVG


I have no problem with Blatt. He would be logical and is a Mills/Perry guy. I dont want Mark Jackson because he's too dumb for NY and JVG is never coming back to the Knicks org and sure as hell aint working under Mills. Blatt makes a ton of sense.

Blatt had a good reputation overseas, which was hurt by him having to deal with James, who fancies himself to be a coach and GM, as well as a player.

I think we have a young enough squad for it to be molded by the right coach, and Blatt once had a rep as being an innovative guy.

There were moments this year where our offense looked pretty good, especially before Hardaway's first injury.
You also saw some decent D at times...we were just not able to be consistent on either end.

I don't know enough about Jackson to agree or disagree with your assessment on him. I won't lie though, I like the fact that Mark is a local boy...Brooklyn...St. Johns...Knicks, though that should have nothing to do with taking him on as a HC.

I dont want any parts of Blatt...I can see him having issues getting all players to buy-in...Regardless if its all because of LeBron or not, Blatt comes with a label and this is a very important hire for us. Additionally, he will try to rebuild himself under the bright lights of MSG in the face of the NY media? No thanks


Don't really know enough about him, other than a good reputation from overseas. Seem to recall he was also stressed D...not sure though.

Have no dog in this fight, right now. Just want the best person for the job. I disagree about the "buy-in" issue, though. I think we have a malleable team at this point, with KP being the closest thing we have to a "star," and I think his biggest concern is winning, although I can't think he likes yet another coaching change...the 4th one in his 3 year career.

I do recall that James had trouble in Miami, too, but he was up against Riley and Wade, who backed Spoelstra. Blatt did not have that kind of support in Cleveland. Just saying.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire
Posts: 27542
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

4/12/2018  2:25 PM
BigRedDog wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Saw some stats about how the Knicks shared the rock under Hornacek, not seen by this franchise in decades. Hornacek got them to set more screens than Ive seen any Knick coach do, in many, many, years. They were playing D, and bought in until KP was out for the season. Also called effective plays out of timeouts.

Nevermind his relationship with Noah (brought that on himself). Telling Willy to tell KP he is playing like a bitch (Willy?) was a bitch move. Believe Hornacek got spoiled in Utah. As good as Jeff was, I think he forgot what its like to have two future HOFers on your team, doing most of the heavy lifting. Has to do a better job of relating to players who dont have a Stockton/Malone to pass to.

Rarely saw any screens set and their defense sucked


I saw screens...not sure I agree with you here. Our D was spotty at times, but when we had the right folks on the court, it was decent.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
reub
Posts: 21775
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2016
Member: #6227

4/12/2018  3:08 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/12/2018  3:12 PM
Why would I trust Perry and Mills to select a good coach when they traded away Willy and traded for Mudiay?
Plus Mills signed THJR to that insane contract too.
Chandler
Posts: 22545
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/26/2015
Member: #6197

4/12/2018  3:17 PM
I am so depressed with this team. No identity, no direction. When I look at Mills and Perry I'm so meh

the only name being floated now that has me marginally excited is Wright and that's because he has been very successful without the super-recruiting the other programs have, suggesting he might know something

If we hire JVG or Jackson I'm going to be pissed

I didn't hate JH, and he definitely did some things right but team had no identity, he never capitalized with KP (like a genius coach would) never manufactured wins from sheer grinding

I don't understand Mill's and Perry's comments on Jaff holding player's accountable. Would like some explanation on that. He sat Willy down because he wasn't consistent, had run ins with KOQ Noah and others -- almost certainly because he was calling them out. Wondering what they were referencing.

DJMUSIC: Fisher talked a good game in Post game but aside from that Derek Fisher was ALL CHIT CHAT SH_t and produced nothing!
Nalod
Posts: 55701
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
4/12/2018  3:53 PM
Lebron wanted Spolestra gone and Riles to come back.
Lebron is a super alpha who is the on court coach. Blatt knows no other way than his and still the team went to the finals. Lue slithered around and perhaps was able to under mind Blatt but at the same time, in his defense cater to what Lebron wanted.

Was Lue really the answer? It worked that way.
As said, Blatt was hired to rebuild Cavs, not coach Lebron. Maybe Blatt was not the guy to coach Melo either when Phil met with him.

As for Jeff, I think he moved the team in the right direction and for that he did well. KP not handled right? Kid was avg 23 a night, all star cred and leading the league in blocked shots! Frank is coming along better. Dotson, well before we could move him in Troy Williams was given an opportunity. Mid season, he was handed a reclamation project called MUDIAY and asked to work him in. ALso got Burke mid year an worked in. Frank got regular minutes. Baker had earned his place and had minutes to get.
I don't see that much deficient in the job he did other than a lousy w/l record but I don't "Blame" him for the roster he was asked to coach.
Jeff moved the dial in the right way and perhaps did a good job with what he had. But if its time to dial it in and move forward "More" will be needed.

Knicks1248: 1. Dolan should be more involved! 2. Why would any knick fan want pick 8, when that spot has a history of producing marginal NBA taken. (He prefers pick 9th instead)
Nalod
Posts: 55701
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
4/12/2018  3:54 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
magicTs wrote:He deserved to be fired for allowing us to win 2 games in the last few days. That alone was reason enough. An absolute ****show of a season yet again. Good riddance.

Had a feeling he would be fired after they won last night. Pretty sure they would have asked him to tank if Hornacek was coming back. Tough for them to say "We're firing you Jeff, but would you mind adding a few more Ls to your record?

This is as much about the next coach as it was about this one.

I saw it coming because

1)Too many spats or disagreements with players..KP, Melo, jennings, KOQ, NOAH.

2)Too many 3rd quarter disappearing acts

3)the team quit on him during 1-17 stretch (part of which kp was still healthy)

4)failure too identify players roles

5)No system whatsoever

6)No consistent rotation

7)Poor development of young players

8)coming to the podium smiling and joking after 10 straight losses,like losing wasn't even fazing him

9)worst "final minute play calling coach" in knicks history

10)60-104= 36.5 winning%

Great personality though

3rd quarter disappearing acts were the top concern to me. That's all coaching.

Not all coaching, players matter as well, but you're right it was an issue.

The one thing i forgot that i have been saying all season long...


With Hornacek, was it communication with you guys, or communication with the players?
Mills: "There weren’t any communication issues per se with us. ...There were just a lot of things we thought we could be better at … like player accountability."

he only got on 2 players BEASELY and NOAH, everybody else could do no harm, just play though your mistakes..

Grow thru your mistakes. Beas is not a complete player. Noah, we just don't know the beef, do we?

Knicks1248: 1. Dolan should be more involved! 2. Why would any knick fan want pick 8, when that spot has a history of producing marginal NBA taken. (He prefers pick 9th instead)
knicks1248
Posts: 37406
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
4/12/2018  4:02 PM
reub wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
magicTs wrote:He deserved to be fired for allowing us to win 2 games in the last few days. That alone was reason enough. An absolute ****show of a season yet again. Good riddance.

Had a feeling he would be fired after they won last night. Pretty sure they would have asked him to tank if Hornacek was coming back. Tough for them to say "We're firing you Jeff, but would you mind adding a few more Ls to your record?

This is as much about the next coach as it was about this one.

I saw it coming because

1)Too many spats or disagreements with players..KP, Melo, jennings, KOQ, NOAH.

2)Too many 3rd quarter disappearing acts

3)the team quit on him during 1-17 stretch (part of which kp was still healthy)

4)failure too identify players roles

5)No system whatsoever

6)No consistent rotation

7)Poor development of young players

8)coming to the podium smiling and joking after 10 straight losses,like losing wasn't even fazing him

9)worst "final minute play calling coach" in knicks history

10)60-104= 36.5 winning%

Great personality though

3rd quarter disappearing acts were the top concern to me. That's all coaching.

Not all coaching, players matter as well, but you're right it was an issue.

The one thing i forgot that i have been saying all season long...


With Hornacek, was it communication with you guys, or communication with the players?
Mills: "There weren’t any communication issues per se with us. ...There were just a lot of things we thought we could be better at … like player accountability."

he only got on 2 players BEASELY and NOAH, everybody else could do no harm, just play though your mistakes..

Not true. He sat Frank when he screwed up. O'Quinn too. McDermott would not play for days. Kanter would sit at the end of every close game. Dotson wasn't allowed to get any minutes for most of the year. Willy obviously too.

True, BUT they didn't get a bunch of DNP CD

ES
Hornacek is out...per Woj

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.