[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Hornacek is out...per Woj
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/12/2018  8:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/12/2018  8:31 AM
fishmike wrote:I like Jeff and thought he could have been part of a turn around here. The fact that the FO didnt wait for exit interviews or anything is telling. They were done with him.

Hopefully they have someone already essentially picked out and agreed to. If it turns out to be some search its a bad sign

It’s not the NFL but there seemingly is some amount of credence to offering guys interviews and perhaps giving such opportunities to minorities as well.
I agree, I’d like to think its more about who they want then who they don’t.
I suppose the speed is because exit interviews are done almost right after the season. I also hope Jeff had a good idea about his fate and Knicks treated the situation well.

AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/12/2018  8:37 AM
Nalod wrote:
fishmike wrote:I like Jeff and thought he could have been part of a turn around here. The fact that the FO didnt wait for exit interviews or anything is telling. They were done with him.

Hopefully they have someone already essentially picked out and agreed to. If it turns out to be some search its a bad sign

It’s not the NFL but there seemingly is some amount of credence to offering guys interviews and perhaps giving such opportunities to minorities as well.
I agree, I’d like to think its more about who they want then who they don’t.
I suppose the speed is because exit interviews are done almost right after the season. I also hope Jeff had a good idea about his fate and Knicks treated the situation well.

I hope they wait some for other teams to make decisions on their staff.

I was watching the Clipper telecast last night - and at one point they had Lawrence Frank on- he is pres. basketball operations - and it does not sound like Doc is going anywhere. Of course, they have to say certain things - but Jeff never got any kind of endorsement.

Agree that I want them to have a list - don't know if I need an immediate announcement- give time maybe for a round or two to finish, see if any big names pop open....

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/12/2018  8:41 AM
Is it just Jeff and Kurt that have been shown the door?

Howard Eisley survives?!? I honestly did not know he was part of the staff until just the other day.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/12/2018  8:43 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Rambis is out as well. I wonder if Noah is brought back. With Rambis is out is Beasely gone? I hope they make a smart hire before the draft.

I kept thinking, they told NOAH to chill out until next season, if we could get something for you will do it, if not, ONCE we canned these clowns we'll see you this summer in Vegas working out with young boys.

Most improve Player next season will be NOAH

ES
knicks1248
4/12/2018  8:45 AM

I know your not a fan of either, but It's probably BLATT or Mark Jack, maybe even JVG

ES
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/12/2018  8:54 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Yeah..Not jumping for joy on this one. I dont think Jeff is the problem. Its just lack of talent. With KP this team is around 35-38 wins this year. Not great but improved. Add a lottery pick and a ML FA and they could get into the 40s next season.

I would have been OK with Jeff for one more year. Stability is needed but.....

Going forward, I think DOc and MJax are the top 2 candidates. Both has Knick history and understand NY. I would take DOc over Mjax. He has won before. Mjax got GS going but got tossed for some reason. That is concerning.

Fizzdale is interesting...sleeper pick.

Blatt will get an interview as he is a friend.

Jay Wright would be foolish to leave Villanova. He's the best in CBB now. He gets paid well there.

No to Kidd.

Also Jeff's offense was nice to watch this year. I think his players liked him well except for Noah.

Agreed on Wright..coaches are hired to be fired in the NBA...Wright has total job security at Nova....However, some of these college coaches are curious to see if they can succeed at the highest level. New York, I'm sure will be intriguing to him.

This is Perry's first big move and he cannot screw this up...With that said, I cant see him taking a chance on Blatt, that hire will/can cost him his job if it doesn't work out. Doc is the safe pick; Fizdale is a gutsy pick. Before Memphis, he was at the top of the chart in terms of Assistant coaches who were next up....Really got a raw deal in Memphis. He had them playing good ball and they absolutely fell off the map once he was canned.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/12/2018  8:58 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

I know your not a fan of either, but It's probably BLATT or Mark Jack, maybe even JVG

I have no problem with Blatt. He would be logical and is a Mills/Perry guy. I dont want Mark Jackson because he's too dumb for NY and JVG is never coming back to the Knicks org and sure as hell aint working under Mills. Blatt makes a ton of sense.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/12/2018  9:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/12/2018  9:26 AM
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

I have no problem with Blatt. He would be logical and is a Mills/Perry guy. I dont want Mark Jackson because he's too dumb for NY and JVG is never coming back to the Knicks org and sure as hell aint working under Mills. Blatt makes a ton of sense.

Why is Jackson too dumb for NY? Personally, I do not want Jackson here either, but being too dumb isn't one of my reasons....

anrst
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1054
USA
4/12/2018  9:44 AM
hire the d-league guy... i mean g-league guy... westchester... coach of the year!
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

4/12/2018  10:01 AM
Think they can lure Messina away from pop, hell even Hammond lol. Blatt , fitzdale ,Messina, or even stackhouse. Let's get a coach before the draft. So he can be involved in building .
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/12/2018  10:07 AM
Jeff was always his own worst enemy. All he had to do was play rookies and young players heavy minutes and develop players was the most important aspect of this last season. He failed it miserably. Now the Knicks don’t have the necessary data on players going forward.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/12/2018  10:25 AM
Uptown wrote:Jay Wright or Fizdale would be my top two choices....Fizdale got a raw deal in Memphis...

I can get behind these two! Perry and Mills are gonna want a Progressive Coach that has a great rapport with young players and knows how to develop them. Jeff was a guy more comfortable with Vets. That became clear over time.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/12/2018  10:27 AM
magicTs wrote:He deserved to be fired for allowing us to win 2 games in the last few days. That alone was reason enough. An absolute ****show of a season yet again. Good riddance.

Had a feeling he would be fired after they won last night. Pretty sure they would have asked him to tank if Hornacek was coming back. Tough for them to say "We're firing you Jeff, but would you mind adding a few more Ls to your record?

This is as much about the next coach as it was about this one.

GustavBahler

4/12/2018  10:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/12/2018  10:46 AM
Saw some stats about how the Knicks shared the rock under Hornacek, not seen by this franchise in decades. Hornacek got them to set more screens than Ive seen any Knick coach do, in many, many, years. They were playing D, and bought in until KP was out for the season. Also called effective plays out of timeouts.

Nevermind his relationship with Noah (brought that on himself). Telling Willy to tell KP he is playing like a bitch (Willy?) was a bitch move. Believe Hornacek got spoiled in Utah. As good as Jeff was, I think he forgot what its like to have two future HOFers on your team, doing most of the heavy lifting. Has to do a better job of relating to players who dont have a Stockton/Malone to pass to.

knicks1248
4/12/2018  11:04 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
magicTs wrote:He deserved to be fired for allowing us to win 2 games in the last few days. That alone was reason enough. An absolute ****show of a season yet again. Good riddance.

Had a feeling he would be fired after they won last night. Pretty sure they would have asked him to tank if Hornacek was coming back. Tough for them to say "We're firing you Jeff, but would you mind adding a few more Ls to your record?

I saw it coming because

1)Too many spats or disagreements with players..KP, Melo, jennings, KOQ, NOAH.

2)Too many 3rd quarter disappearing acts

3)the team quit on him during 1-17 stretch (part of which kp was still healthy)

4)failure too identify players roles

5)No system whatsoever

6)No consistent rotation

7)Poor development of young players

8)coming to the podium smiling and joking after 10 straight losses,like losing wasn't even fazing him

9)worst "final minute play calling coach" in knicks history

10)60-104= 36.5 winning%

Great personality though

ES
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/12/2018  11:08 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I saw it coming because

5)No system whatsoever

6)No consistent rotation

8)coming to the podium smiling and joking after 10 straight losses,like losing wasn't even fazing him

10)60-104= 36.5 winning%

Great personality though

3rd quarter disappearing acts were the top concern to me. That's all coaching.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/12/2018  11:24 AM
60-104 is enough to justify.
Key component is new regime wants someone different.
I can disagree with Knicks1248 on some of his reasons. Roster turnover is problematic for any coach.
I thought team development was pretty good. Hard to quantify and measure.
Turnover causes rotation issues. System? Year one was Triangle, year two get used to no melo, install KP and Timmy. Ball movement and assist totals highest in years.
Smiling after a loss? That's tanking! Team had second worst record after December 15th.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/12/2018  11:25 AM
Please hire JVG
GustavBahler

4/12/2018  11:29 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I saw it coming because

5)No system whatsoever

6)No consistent rotation

10)60-104= 36.5 winning%

Great personality though

He got the Knicks to play as a team, like we havent seen in years. He was the best coach at calling plays out of timeouts, since before D'Antoni. They were playing D and bought in. The aging starting PG would have been a bench player on any other squad. Our draft pick was nowhere near ready to start. Hornacek' job was to win games first, develop players second. If he wanted to come back. Once KP was out for the season, it was a done deal for a lame duck coach. Perry/Mills werent interested in tanking. This is isnt the G-League, Mr. personality.

Hornacek had his faults as a coach, also did sone good things I hope carry over, like sharing the rock. Not giving minutes to divas, or malcontents.

GustavBahler

4/12/2018  11:31 AM
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I saw it coming because

5)No system whatsoever

6)No consistent rotation

10)60-104= 36.5 winning%

Great personality though

3rd quarter disappearing acts were the top concern to me. That's all coaching.

Not all coaching, players matter as well, but you're right it was an issue.

Hornacek is out...per Woj

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy