[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Should we offer Jabari Parker 2 years 48mm with option for 3?
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/4/2018  4:47 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Parker would be a big gamble but the type that could pay off in a major way.

Thats the way I look at it--they dont5 have a spot for him there and certainly they arent paying 24mm per. It could radically change this franchise--go big or go home.
Im scared Philly will get him and then you can say lights out for 10 years.
We can sell him as being the new"man" in NYC. By next year his legs will be at or near 100% and hes 23--hes got 7-8 quality high end years

Briggs, I know this synapse came to you and thru your fingers but you might want to sleep on this a while.
Im sure if we do it enough times these guys will pay off but that little voice in my head whispers "Antonio McDyess" and it get middle ear balance loss.
Its a big gamble. Let me ask you a question, would you trade our no. 1 pick this year and Kanter for him straight up (Money aside) to have his bird rights and pay him a longer term wage that locks him up and everyone happy?
What does Milwaukee need that we have? They want to win now. They can parlay that draft pick into something else perhaps they need?

Parker is a young player who tore his ACL. Not really a McDyess situation at all. He will be fine. I wouldn't trade our pick for him though.

Tore the same ACL in left knee twice. That should give ANY team pause.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
4/4/2018  4:59 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Parker would be a big gamble but the type that could pay off in a major way.

Thats the way I look at it--they dont5 have a spot for him there and certainly they arent paying 24mm per. It could radically change this franchise--go big or go home.
We can sell him as being the new"man" in NYC. By next year his legs will be at or near 100% and hes 23--hes got 7-8 quality high end years

Briggs, I know this synapse came to you and thru your fingers but you might want to sleep on this a while.
Im sure if we do it enough times these guys will pay off but that little voice in my head whispers "Antonio McDyess" and it get middle ear balance loss.
Its a big gamble. Let me ask you a question, would you trade our no. 1 pick this year and Kanter for him straight up (Money aside) to have his bird rights and pay him a longer term wage that locks him up and everyone happy?
What does Milwaukee need that we have? They want to win now. They can parlay that draft pick into something else perhaps they need?

Parker is a young player who tore his ACL. Not really a McDyess situation at all. He will be fine. I wouldn't trade our pick for him though.

That's true, you're right. But i think he will recover fine.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/4/2018  5:02 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Its a dam good gamble

at 2 years for essentially the max, it's not a good gamble. This is a player who how been in the league for 4 years and only made it through about a year and a half at full throttle.

A good gamble would be signing Parker to a 2-3 year deal at the midlevel, not at $24M per.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
blkexec
Member: #748
4/4/2018  6:06 PM
martin wrote:

at 2 years for essentially the max, it's not a good gamble. This is a player who how been in the league for 4 years and only made it through about a year and a half at full throttle.

A good gamble would be signing Parker to a 2-3 year deal at the midlevel, not at $24M per.

I agree....that's not a gamble, but a risk. THj was a gamble and this deal for Parker reminds me of THj all over again. Give them tons of money to make them come to NY. Watch them suck, boo the hell out of them and trade him back. I'm tired of this over paying a player stuff, just to play in NY. At this point, we shouldn't have to over pay anybody, unless it's a superstar (even that's not a good reason). Parker is legit, but for 24 mil?

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/4/2018  6:31 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Enough to say pass. Get the feeling Parker will join the Cavs if they can swing a deal. To keep LeBron. Players with 2 ACL injuries in the same knee, contenders take a chance on, not rebuilding teams.

If Parker plays well, on a short term deal, might get suckered into giving Jabari a long term one.It never seeems to go the Knicks way, regardless of the science. I was for giving him a chance before the second one. Dont need him that bad.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
4/4/2018  8:12 PM
Glad to see the above consensus on THJr. Inconsistent and no D. For $18 Mm no less. Is Jabari damaged goods. Price seems high. Yet if we get lucky with porter/Ayton/Bamba/Bagley things would change significantly. Let Dolan pay luxury tax for a year until Noah falls off and Timmy can get packaged.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/4/2018  8:19 PM
Paris907 wrote:Glad to see the above consensus on THJr. Inconsistent and no D. For $18 Mm no less. Is Jabari damaged goods. Price seems high. Yet if we get lucky with porter/Ayton/Bamba/Bagley things would change significantly. Let Dolan pay luxury tax for a year until Noah falls off and Timmy can get packaged.

Hardaway was very good in the small sample size next to KP. He took over some games KP was off too. The problem is expecting him to be more than what he is. He obviously isn't a #1 guy, which he had to be the last couple of months. As a #2 he was decent. As a #3 or 4 he would be very good.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/4/2018  8:23 PM
Ah this is a no brainer. To potentially get a franchise player at 23 for a 2 year commitment —- nothing much to think about. Ask yourself what would we spend the money on anyway? We paid 18 mm per for Noah
RIP Crushalot😞
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/4/2018  9:57 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Ah this is a no brainer. To potentially get a franchise player at 23 for a 2 year commitment —- nothing much to think about. Ask yourself what would we spend the money on anyway? We paid 18 mm per for Noah

thats a great idea, compound one mistake with another. two wrongs make a right.

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Paris907
USA
4/4/2018  10:01 PM
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Yeah he's a good fit if we can have KP make the full transition over to center. Next year can be a year where Parker and KP get back on their feet, while Frank and our 2018 pick gain experience. I know you're not big on Mikal Bridges, but adding he and Parker would be game-changing. We need a defensive minded big wing badly.

C Porzingis
PF Parker
SF Bridges
SG Hardaway
PG Burke/Ntilikina

This would be an awesome group.

I’ve concern: both Parker and KP coming off injury. JP a 3 not 4. We still need to find a dynamic 5 and while I like Carter,I’d ideally like someone more dynamic like Jackson/Bagley/Ayers/Porter/ and Bamba ...

KP
Bamba
Parker
Burke
Frank

Hardaway 6

Paris907
USA
4/4/2018  10:02 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Pure cap space tradng pick for player is a bad bad model.

IT was an exercise: would you trade the 9th pick this year for Parker. Is he better than Bridges?
I don't do trade vomit.

All things considered, Parker is probably a better player than who we draft at 8 or 9, however, the difference in contract will be the biggest factor. Parker will be making market value. If we draft Bridges, we get an NBA ready prospect for a fraction of the cost over 4 years and can also spend that other big money. So tough to compare.

I’d rather pick up a JP at 3 and 5 Draft.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/4/2018  10:24 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Ah this is a no brainer. To potentially get a franchise player at 23 for a 2 year commitment —- nothing much to think about. Ask yourself what would we spend the money on anyway? We paid 18 mm per for Noah

Briggs, don't you think Milwaukee would keep him if he showed franchise potential? I think Parker has the potential to be good, but reel it in.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Paris907
USA
4/4/2018  10:29 PM
Deal is 2 ACLs and he’s been inconsistent - I pass! Don’t need 2 starters coming off injury and Middleton is UFA next year.
Paris907
USA
4/4/2018  10:36 PM

Why is a 2X ACL tear whos struggling a good gamble ?

Paris907
USA
4/4/2018  10:38 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:KOQ and Kanter would have to opt out, Noah would be on the books for 5 years, need to move Lee for nothing AND you would be out of the FA market in summer 2019.

I think that's right.

Getting Parker and KP on the same team might be worth it. We can also look to trade Hardaway. If we win the lottery or even land 1-2-3 and get Bagley or Aayton--I might just follow this path as a priority. Aayton Parker and KP would be one helluve frontline OR we could take Porter and play Parker at 4 and KP 5.

I'm mean, that's nice and all - and I'd GIVE ThJr away for NOTHING - but what team would have him?

You are proposing these trades and signings in a vacuum with zero salary cap background and no regard to what other teams would take back in trades. It doesn't work that way.

Start here: https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/NYK.html

I think we can get there is Kanter opts out. And I think he will. What a hack job by P Jackson and then followed up in the same way by Mills.

Teams are tight against the cap. What makes you think Enes opts out. I hope so but doubt it

BRIGGS
4/4/2018  11:24 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Briggs, don't you think Milwaukee would keep him if he showed franchise potential? I think Parker has the potential to be good, but reel it

The Knicks and Parker are a perfect marriage. When yiu think about risk reward-- it's too compelling to pass -- notice no one can answer how else would u spend thd money-- because most other ideas will be tier 2 at best

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
4/5/2018  12:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/5/2018  12:31 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

1) He's a restricted free agent. As such, the Bucks reserve the right to match. Also the one benefit of his injury history ( calibration on using "Likely To Be Earned Incentives versus Non Likely To Be Earned Incentives" per cap purposes ) will be negated by having to use some type of poison pill to ensure a non Bucks match. Some of this depends on what they do or don't do with Middleton and if they can shed some of their problematic contracts.

2) He turned down a 3 year extension offer, so he won't take 2 years guaranteed. To justify his position and save face, and his agent as well, he won't take that deal. If he did, he'd take the same offer from other teams first. Knicks would need to offer a complete to the ceiling max in AAV and years and hope for a non match and be the only non Bucks team to make that offer.

3) All of this would require things not likely to happen ( Kanter opting out, Lee traded, Noah stretched, etc) on the Knicks side

You are pointing out how this is a good deal for the Knicks, you don't however consider whether how it benefits the player. A guy with Parker's injury history will want max years possible GUARANTEED.

It would take, probably at minimum, 4 years at 20 million AAV. Guaranteed all the way through. No team options. Last year a player option. Nothing incentive based. And a trade kicker. And no other team to offer it.

Dallas and Chicago might be on the fringes here. I think the Mavericks are an interesting scenario in terms of a match.

He's a lousy defensive player and has busted the same knee twice.

If the market collapses on him, I think he just goes to a contender on a one year deal. If he is going to take a financial hit anyway, at least this way his agent can spin the narrative ( winning over money, blah, blah) But the issue keeps coming back to any short term deal like that is going to get matched anyway.

I think he ends up in Dallas.

Nope. 2 years 48 mm with a team option. No frikin way the bucks will match and I have serious doubts he'll be offered more. The Knicks can do this-- it will center on Kanter opting out OR using a future pick to rid ourselves of lee and Noah. I think we can find the funds avenue here

RIP Crushalot😞
wargames
Member: #6053

4/5/2018  5:03 AM
God no I wouldn't pay him that much money...... that is a horrible HORRIBLE idea!
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
nyk4ever
USA
4/5/2018  8:19 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
The Knicks and Parker are a perfect marriage. When yiu think about risk reward-- it's too compelling to pass -- notice no one can answer how else would u spend thd money-- because most other ideas will be tier 2 at best

oh, i see. so everyone is wrong because no one is coming up with asinine ideas, like you are, on how to spend the knicks cap money? another gem.

nyk4ever
USA
4/5/2018  8:21 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

1) He's a restricted free agent. As such, the Bucks reserve the right to match. Also the one benefit of his injury history ( calibration on using "Likely To Be Earned Incentives versus Non Likely To Be Earned Incentives" per cap purposes ) will be negated by having to use some type of poison pill to ensure a non Bucks match. Some of this depends on what they do or don't do with Middleton and if they can shed some of their problematic contracts.

2) He turned down a 3 year extension offer, so he won't take 2 years guaranteed. To justify his position and save face, and his agent as well, he won't take that deal. If he did, he'd take the same offer from other teams first. Knicks would need to offer a complete to the ceiling max in AAV and years and hope for a non match and be the only non Bucks team to make that offer.

3) All of this would require things not likely to happen ( Kanter opting out, Lee traded, Noah stretched, etc) on the Knicks side

You are pointing out how this is a good deal for the Knicks, you don't however consider whether how it benefits the player. A guy with Parker's injury history will want max years possible GUARANTEED.

It would take, probably at minimum, 4 years at 20 million AAV. Guaranteed all the way through. No team options. Last year a player option. Nothing incentive based. And a trade kicker. And no other team to offer it.

Dallas and Chicago might be on the fringes here. I think the Mavericks are an interesting scenario in terms of a match.

He's a lousy defensive player and has busted the same knee twice.

If the market collapses on him, I think he just goes to a contender on a one year deal. If he is going to take a financial hit anyway, at least this way his agent can spin the narrative ( winning over money, blah, blah) But the issue keeps coming back to any short term deal like that is going to get matched anyway.

I think he ends up in Dallas.

Nope. 2 years 48 mm with a team option. No frikin way the bucks will match and I have serious doubts he'll be offered more. The Knicks can do this-- it will center on Kanter opting out OR using a future pick to rid ourselves of lee and Noah. I think we can find the funds avenue here

of course they won't match that, its a horrible deal for the knicks. we just went through this with hardaway. i have no problem going after parker but giving a guy with 2 ACL tears 48mm over 2 years is about the most reckless thing you could do in regards to the salary cap.

Should we offer Jabari Parker 2 years 48mm with option for 3?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy