[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kawhi in NY rehabbing
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/31/2018  2:33 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767636-report-kawhi-leonard-rehabbing-quad-injury-in-new-york-no-timetable-for-return

This has to be looked at as an unprecedented way to force a team to trade you.... he's rehabbing in NY too.... I could see him going to Brooklyn. They aren't too cool not to sell the farm to get Kawhi. Question is are the Knicks willing to sell the farm for Kawhi?

The Knicks could package the 2018 pick and Frank with and Lee... Kawhi doesn't have a no trade clause but that organization is all about doing the right thing so maybe they do accommodate Kawhi in a exodus to NY.

Kawhi and KP... we have Burke coming along...we have Hardaway... in 2019 we could have money to add to the mix. Who wouldn't want to play with Kawhi and KP in NY?

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
Paris907
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6099
USA
3/31/2018  2:49 PM
Given the fact that we’ve lost 49 and counting and hope to Have a marginally better team the next 2-3 years, sell the damm “farm” which in fact is more of a zoo. KP and Kawhi will attract anyone and everyone thereafter and Dolan can foot the luxury tax
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/31/2018  2:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/31/2018  2:55 PM
EnySpree wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767636-report-kawhi-leonard-rehabbing-quad-injury-in-new-york-no-timetable-for-return

This has to be looked at as an unprecedented way to force a team to trade you.... he's rehabbing in NY too.... I could see him going to Brooklyn. They aren't too cool not to sell the farm to get Kawhi. Question is are the Knicks willing to sell the farm for Kawhi?

The Knicks could package the 2018 pick and Frank with and Lee... Kawhi doesn't have a no trade clause but that organization is all about doing the right thing so maybe they do accommodate Kawhi in a exodus to NY.

Kawhi and KP... we have Burke coming along...we have Hardaway... in 2019 we could have money to add to the mix. Who wouldn't want to play with Kawhi and KP in NY?

If Spurs were willing to do that deal its a no brainer. But teams will offer more. Spurs will probably want a proven young player. They will target a Lakers type team who has Ingram, Kuzma, Randle, Hart. Take a package of 3 of them. Maybe flip Randle in a 3 team to get more assets.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/31/2018  2:56 PM
Pretty sure they would want KP in any trade. Unless we draw (and include) a top 3 pick in a deal. Kwahi is too good.
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
3/31/2018  2:57 PM
EnySpree wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767636-report-kawhi-leonard-rehabbing-quad-injury-in-new-york-no-timetable-for-return

Pass on Kawhi with prejudice. The window is too small with KP out for another year and Kawhi is going on 29 by 2019. Both KP and Kawhi will be coming off long injury layoffs - they need to be re-evaluated prior to an investment of that size. Moreover, Kawhi's max is limiting cap-wise potentially even in 2019 and he hurts further draft asset accumulation in the short-term. It's time to downsize - not upsize the operation prior to KP's return.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
EnySpree

3/31/2018  3:01 PM
codeunknown wrote:

Pass on Kawhi with prejudice. The window is too small with KP out for another year and Kawhi is going on 29 by 2019. Both KP and Kawhi will be coming off long injury layoffs - they need to be re-evaluated prior to an investment of that size. Moreover, Kawhi's max is limiting cap-wise potentially even in 2019 and he hurts further draft asset accumulation in the short-term. It's time to downsize - not upsize the operation prior to KP's return.

I agree but the urge to starphuch here is huge.

The right way to do it is stay the course.... anyway you wanna do it, the Knicksstill won't be making a big push into playoff contention until the 2019/20 season

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Gudris
Member: #6213

3/31/2018  3:13 PM
No way Spurs make a trade with us, we have nothing for them to give
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/31/2018  3:55 PM
Interesting. He is a west coast guy.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG
Member: #3049

3/31/2018  4:00 PM
codeunknown wrote:

Yeah, I would do that deal in a 💓 under normal circumstances. But our cap situation would limit our ability to add more pieces, even if the wanted to come here. Add in Kanter, or whoever, that's more cap space. I'm not sure. How would a Kawhi and KP supermax affect us? Would be stuck in the same situation as the Pelicans?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
EnySpree

3/31/2018  4:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/31/2018  4:46 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Interesting. He is a west coast guy.

West coast guys all love NY for some reason. Like Brandon Jennings is really a Knicks fan and was besides himself to sign here. Kevin Love and Baron Davis spend the off season here. Lots of west coast guys dig ny

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/31/2018  5:25 PM
He is 27 in June. I value frank so I’m not just throwing him out. But I’d trade him and our 9th pick With anyone not named Kristaps for Leonard..
EnySpree

3/31/2018  6:14 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
codeunknown wrote:

Yeah, I would do that deal in a 💓 under normal circumstances. But our cap situation would limit our ability to add more pieces, even if the wanted to come here. Add in Kanter, or whoever, that's more cap space. I'm not sure. How would a Kawhi and KP supermax affect us? Would be stuck in the same situation as the Pelicans?

Well we can't extend Kanter... we can figure out a way to get the extra cash to lure someone else to sign here. Teams do it all the time. When the ball rolls it rolls. Of course we'd have to move Noah. An extra year off the books should make his contact more movable.

reub
Member: #6227

3/31/2018  9:51 PM
EnySpree wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
codeunknown wrote:

Well we can't extend Kanter... we can figure out a way to get the extra cash to lure someone else to sign here. Teams do it all the time. When the ball rolls it rolls. Of course we'd have to move Noah. An extra year off the books should make his contact more movable.

Let's not get starphucked again like we did with Melo. We need to add young talent through the draft and develop them.

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
4/1/2018  8:10 AM
Leonard isn't Melo though. He's a true defensive force as well as a good offensive player. It would really depend on the price. A starphuch would be on someone like melo, but Leonard really doesn't fall into the same category.
Mike1989
Member: #8627

4/1/2018  8:38 AM
The first thing to take into account here is that Kawhi Leonard is under contract for 2018-19 and 2019-20, however the final season is a player option and he is likely to opt out for a new payday. So any team that trades for him would need to be certain he is going to commit to that team long term, and unfortunately it is unlikely that they are going to get any kind of guarantee from Kawhi Leonard that he would sign with them long term.

We have seen players with that type of contractual situation traded in recent seasons. Paul George was traded by the Pacers to OKC for Oladipo and Sabonis. Demarcus Cousins was traded by Sacramento along with Omri Casspi to New Orleans for Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway, and their 2017 first and second round picks. Both of those players had two seasons left on their existing contracts, the main difference was George has a player option whereas Cousins was two guaranteed seasons. Obviously we can debate whether Kawhi Leonard has greater value than George and Cousins, but the overriding point here is that the Pacers and Kings did not get "fair" value for their outgoing all star. Obviously Oladipo has broken out and become an all star but that was totally unexpected and before they jump for joy they will need to see him repeat it next season and beyond.

So with that in mind I don't think the Spurs can expect a haul worthy of a player of Leonard's caliber because of his contractual situation. They will get a good price for him, but not what I would deem "fair" value. The only way I see them getting an all star in return for him is if Cleveland offered them Kevin Love (2 years left guaranteed on his deal) and the Nets draft pick for Kawhi Leonard. That might tempt the Spurs because they can pair two all stars, Love and Aldridge, with their existing roster. But outside of that type of deal I think the Spurs will end up with young talent they hope will breakout and/or banking on the draft picks they receive to work out in their favor.

Do we have the assets to make a good offer for him?

Obviously KP is off the table. So any deal would be based around our first round pick this year [at least] and other pieces, I suspect they would want Frank Ntilikina and perhaps Tim Hardaway or Enes Kanter (if he opts in) to balance the salary side of things. If I'm being totally honest I think other teams can offer better deals, like the Cleveland one I mentioned, or perhaps the Timberwolves can put together a package around sending Andrew Wiggins to the Spurs allowing them to build around a core of Butler, Leonard and Towns (scary scenario!). For me I don't see a scenario where we land Leonard unless he makes it clear that the only team he will sign an extension with is us, at that point it forces the Spurs hand to do a deal with us, take a lesser deal off a team that know they are only getting a one year rental, or lose him for nothing.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/1/2018  11:57 AM
codeunknown wrote:

It's 2018 and he's 26. I do have some concerns about him though. He's only played 9 games all year.
wargames
Member: #6053

4/1/2018  12:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/1/2018  12:11 PM
codeunknown wrote:

He would be 27 if he opts out in 2019...... It makes more sense to learn from Melo and see if he becomes a FA then and just waive noah, to get him.

Trading for Stars guts a team unless you trade a star back in the trade. KP and Kawhi would not lead us past Boston and Philly. We got to draft well, play better, hope he opts out.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
doomed
Member: #1078
USA
4/1/2018  8:55 PM
You run to San Antoino with frank and picks if it gets Leonard here. And I value frank a lot as well.
codeunknown
4/1/2018  9:29 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
codeunknown wrote:

It's 2018 and he's 26. I do have some concerns about him though. He's only played 9 games all year.

Line should read going on 29 by 2019-20 season, which is when KP has his 1st full season again.
There are more than a few concerns, some relating to him in particular in the context of a trade and others to team outlook in KP’s extended absence.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
codeunknown
4/1/2018  9:48 PM
wargames wrote:
codeunknown wrote:

He would be 27 if he opts out in 2019...... It makes more sense to learn from Melo and see if he becomes a FA then and just waive noah, to get him.

Trading for Stars guts a team unless you trade a star back in the trade. KP and Kawhi would not lead us past Boston and Philly. We got to draft well, play better, hope he opts out.

See above for age clarification.
A free agent grab in 2019 is a different scenario entirely from the original trade proposal, and I’d agree that’s the only scenario in which I could be interested. The probabilities of him actually opting out and sacrificing significant money, and thereafter coming to a non-contender across the country from his family, are probably overstated. Depending on what our draft haul and development, and Kawhi and KP’s recoveries, look like at that point, 2019 free agency may be a reasonable entry point.

Kawhi in NY rehabbing

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy