[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

It's going to be very hard competing w Philly and boston
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/29/2018  9:40 AM
Crap, Id just be happy at this point if we could get to the playoffs, and be competitive. Briggs, you're thinking too far ahead. The next step is adding another star, through the draft, or another way. Solidifying the starting PG position. One step at a time.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/29/2018  9:40 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Just in our own division for the next 7-8 years. I don't know how well find the talent philly has. The bottom line is the pain they went through was worth it. The chances and patience they had was worth it. They also like Bremen said tonight cut ties quick w high picks. This is going to be a championship team if healthy one day soon-- wish we could've taken the same path.
what a weak ass defeatist attitude. There most certainly IS a way. Its been done before. Twice in fact. You do it by building the best defensive team in the NBA. Detroit did that and utterly dismantled a 56 win Lakers team with Shaq/Kobe/Payton/Malone/Fox/Fisher/etc... Boston did it as well blowing through Lebron's Cavs, Chauncey's Pistons, and the 57 win Laker team with Kobe/Gasol/Bynum.

So its been done twice in recent history with great defensive teams. You are too busy looking at young skinny boys like Trey and you have lost your way. You build a top flight defense. Knicks already have KP. Who cares if it takes us 3 years to get him healthy. That means at age 25 he's a force.

Knicks are actually on the right path to usurp that mantle that has you quaking in your boots. You build a long defensive team that can defend any team. you have KP and Frank who both have elite potential defensively. If you have a draft choice between some 6 foot 180 pound PG or a guy like Mikal Bridges its not even up for debate. Bridges is a +40% shooter from 3 and can guard 4 spots in the NBA. He's got to beef up a bit, but not too much. Tayshawn Prince would be a PF in the NBA today.

Not really a Wendall Carter buyer, but if Bomba fell that would be another. Knicks brought in Dotson, they pounced on Troy Williams, the moved McDermot for Mudiay.. not a huge fan of Mudiay but its another move to get more athletic. I am starting to have some confidence in this front office because I see a trend to get longer and more athletic and get guys who have defensive potential. Burke is an anomoly here but he is a play maker and a shot maker. At some point you gotta get the ball in the basket. Kornet is another headsy look. Another super long guy who can stretch the floor. He could really be a weapon for 12-15 a night off the bench. Remember how good Novak looked during those runs? Could see Kornet in that role.

Point is you are a wanker. Open your eyes and the evidence is self evident. Is KP as good as KG? No. But the Knicks could be on the their way to building a squad that has the size and length to suffocate anyone. We are not there yet, but it has to start somewhere. Even a guy like Kanter... if you cover his weaknesses he becomes a force.

Knicks are infantile. Its early. KP is on crutches. Frank doesnt shave and has never lifted weights. Lee/Noah/Lance are on the books for 2 more years. If Lee and Lance are here they are going to play. This isnt a video game. These are grown men and they have careers and you dont create a positive culture by dicking around respected veterans. But they are here to be passed over by better younger talent. Point is its not going to happen overnight. Like with Philly it will probably take 4-5 years. KP will be 26. Frank would be 25. They might be the two leaders of the best defensive team in the league. That should be the goal. (not the commitment to Frank/KP, but the best defensive part)

Anyway its 100% doable and part of what has swung me to a positive view of this FO is I think they are looking at it the same way. Versatile athletic guys with 2 way potential.

I dont need Trey Young with my lottery pick or to give Isiah Thomas a max contract. My G league guy just dropped 42/12. I am drafting long 2 way athletic guys with elite upside on D. Please be there at 9 Mikal... please

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/29/2018  9:44 AM
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Just in our own division for the next 7-8 years. I don't know how well find the talent philly has. The bottom line is the pain they went through was worth it. The chances and patience they had was worth it. They also like Bremen said tonight cut ties quick w high picks. This is going to be a championship team if healthy one day soon-- wish we could've taken the same path.
what a weak ass defeatist attitude. There most certainly IS a way. Its been done before. Twice in fact. You do it by building the best defensive team in the NBA. Detroit did that and utterly dismantled a 56 win Lakers team with Shaq/Kobe/Payton/Malone/Fox/Fisher/etc... Boston did it as well blowing through Lebron's Cavs, Chauncey's Pistons, and the 57 win Laker team with Kobe/Gasol/Bynum.

So its been done twice in recent history with great defensive teams. You are too busy looking at young skinny boys like Trey and you have lost your way. You build a top flight defense. Knicks already have KP. Who cares if it takes us 3 years to get him healthy. That means at age 25 he's a force.

Knicks are actually on the right path to usurp that mantle that has you quaking in your boots. You build a long defensive team that can defend any team. you have KP and Frank who both have elite potential defensively. If you have a draft choice between some 6 foot 180 pound PG or a guy like Mikal Bridges its not even up for debate. Bridges is a +40% shooter from 3 and can guard 4 spots in the NBA. He's got to beef up a bit, but not too much. Tayshawn Prince would be a PF in the NBA today.

Not really a Wendall Carter buyer, but if Bomba fell that would be another. Knicks brought in Dotson, they pounced on Troy Williams, the moved McDermot for Mudiay.. not a huge fan of Mudiay but its another move to get more athletic. I am starting to have some confidence in this front office because I see a trend to get longer and more athletic and get guys who have defensive potential. Burke is an anomoly here but he is a play maker and a shot maker. At some point you gotta get the ball in the basket. Kornet is another headsy look. Another super long guy who can stretch the floor. He could really be a weapon for 12-15 a night off the bench. Remember how good Novak looked during those runs? Could see Kornet in that role.

Point is you are a wanker. Open your eyes and the evidence is self evident. Is KP as good as KG? No. But the Knicks could be on the their way to building a squad that has the size and length to suffocate anyone. We are not there yet, but it has to start somewhere. Even a guy like Kanter... if you cover his weaknesses he becomes a force.

Knicks are infantile. Its early. KP is on crutches. Frank doesnt shave and has never lifted weights. Lee/Noah/Lance are on the books for 2 more years. If Lee and Lance are here they are going to play. This isnt a video game. These are grown men and they have careers and you dont create a positive culture by dicking around respected veterans. But they are here to be passed over by better younger talent. Point is its not going to happen overnight. Like with Philly it will probably take 4-5 years. KP will be 26. Frank would be 25. They might be the two leaders of the best defensive team in the league. That should be the goal. (not the commitment to Frank/KP, but the best defensive part)

Anyway its 100% doable and part of what has swung me to a positive view of this FO is I think they are looking at it the same way. Versatile athletic guys with 2 way potential.

I dont need Trey Young with my lottery pick or to give Isiah Thomas a max contract. My G league guy just dropped 42/12. I am drafting long 2 way athletic guys with elite upside on D. Please be there at 9 Mikal... please

Cocaine is a helluva drug

RIP Crushalot😞
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
3/29/2018  9:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/29/2018  9:56 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Briggs, you are the one here consistently changing your mind. One minute you want to stay the course with our young core, the next you say offer IT a big contact, the next you say we can't compete with Boston and Philly so blow it up. You are the type of fan who can't stay one course. All fishmike is saying is stay the course and build. You have agreed with this many times in the year. Now you are saying this type of thinking means you're on drugs??? I really don't think you can judge this way of thinking. I refuse to make the same knee-jerk reactions where i judge our team game by game or opponent by opponent. You should follow suit. This team is being built over the long haul, yet you have a new direction for this team after every single game.

BRIGGS
3/29/2018  9:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/29/2018  9:59 AM
What the hell is Mikal Bridges going to do against Dario Saric 6-10 Ben Simmons 6-10 Joel Embiid 7-1

Exactly--nothing--nobody physically can stop that--there is no defense to stop that. Its like saying put a man on shaq or lebron. Yep a 6-6 skinny college 3 point shooter who cant dribble is going bto be an impact NBA playa

Remember Mikal isnt the best player on his own college team.

RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
3/29/2018  9:59 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
fishmike wrote:

That would explain a lot!
(see Trey Young for 30 seconds)
sniff sniff
starts 17 threads on Trey Young, denies ever having known the name "Hasheem Thabeet" surfs Fox news...
sniff sniff
(see Isaiah Thomas for 30 seconds)
starts WE MUST MAX OUT IT threads, surfs Fox mews...

rinse wash repeat... switch to weed man. Much easier on the other humans around you

fishmike
USA
3/29/2018  10:02 AM
BRIGGS wrote:What the hell is Mikal Bridges going to do against Dario Saric 6-10 Ben Simmons 6-10 Joel Embiid 7-1

Exactly--nothing--nobody physically can stop that--there is no defense to stop that. Its like saying put a man on shaq or lebron. Yep a 6-6 skinny college 3 point shooter who cant dribble is going bto be an impact NBA playa

Remember Mikal isnt the best player on his own college team.

nothing! All we can do is RUN AWAY! What could anyone do against Shaq 7-2, Malone 6'10 400lbs, Kobe 6'7 bla bla bla

You know what can go against those guys? ISIAH THOMAS

MAX HIM OUT
MAX HIM OUT
MAX HIM OUT

oh man. This is great. I dont care if I am the only one laughing.

BRIGGS
3/29/2018  10:03 AM
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Briggs, you are the one here consistently changing your mind. One minute you want to stay the course with our young core, the next you say offer IT a big contact, the next you say we can't compete with Boston and Philly so blow it up. You are the type of fan who can't stay one course. All fishmike is saying is stay the course and build. You have agreed with this many times in the year. Now you are saying this type of thinking means you're on drugs??? I really don't think you can judge this way of thinking. I refuse to make the same knee-jerk reactions where i judge our team game by game or opponent by opponent. You should follow suit. This team is being built over the long haul, yet you have a new direction for this team after every single game.

No I said lets watch IT for the year--thats just the facts. Mike Breen made a great great point last night--Philly DID NOT stay the course on Ok4 Noel and Williams and was right in every case. I do NOT want a one option course. You tale out different scenarios and than you eventually rate them 1-6 or whatever. No way am I set on one idea right now

RIP Crushalot😞
Knixkik
USA
3/29/2018  10:19 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
fishmike wrote:

No I said lets watch IT for the year--thats just the facts. Mike Breen made a great great point last night--Philly DID NOT stay the course on Ok4 Noel and Williams and was right in every case. I do NOT want a one option course. You tale out different scenarios and than you eventually rate them 1-6 or whatever. No way am I set on one idea right now

You did not say that. When he first came back and score 20 points a couple of times you said offer him the max NOW. I will dig them out if you need me to. You recanted only after he started struggling. This is not a race. We do not need to be the celtics or sixers right now. We are in year 1 of a rebuild. You will not like everything you see. We know you have 6 or 7 options and each game you proclaim one is the absolute best direction. Next game you want to go in a different direction. That's called insanity.

fishmike
USA
3/29/2018  10:26 AM
this is the first year of a new front office. This is the first time since I have followed the Knicks (late 80s) the world rebuild has ever been used. The only vets this FO has brought in are ones willing to work with young players, which Jack/Beasley (Sessions was also) were. The only commitment was to Hardaway who at $17mm is... OK. Kanter is 25 and has had some huge games vs. Embiid already so Im not sure what you are looking at there aside from the usual sky is falling.

Knicks are NOT where Boston or Philly are. There is no relevance in comparing them. You mentioned Noel, OK, Williams... How long where all those guys in Phili? Longer than the 12 minutes your ideas last.

Knixkik
USA
3/29/2018  10:31 AM
fishmike wrote:this is the first year of a new front office. This is the first time since I have followed the Knicks (late 80s) the world rebuild has ever been used. The only vets this FO has brought in are ones willing to work with young players, which Jack/Beasley (Sessions was also) were. The only commitment was to Hardaway who at $17mm is... OK. Kanter is 25 and has had some huge games vs. Embiid already so Im not sure what you are looking at there aside from the usual sky is falling.

Knicks are NOT where Boston or Philly are. There is no relevance in comparing them. You mentioned Noel, OK, Williams... How long where all those guys in Phili? Longer than the 12 minutes your ideas last.

The only strategy here should be how to build around KP successfully so we are a playoff-bound team when he is 100% healthy by surrounding him with good, young pieces. Any reaction from Briggs and others alike who say offer IT a big contract, blow it all up by trading KP, or whatever will always be a knee-jerk reaction to another lost season in the win-column. That is what rebuilding is, taking the lumps until you get it right. KP has an entire career ahead of him, there is no rush or need to make another franchise-altering direction. We know what the direction of the front office is, adding talent in the 20-25 age range and hope to hit on some of them. Debating other directions after each game is pointless.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/29/2018  10:41 AM
Knixkik wrote:
fishmike wrote:this is the first year of a new front office. This is the first time since I have followed the Knicks (late 80s) the world rebuild has ever been used. The only vets this FO has brought in are ones willing to work with young players, which Jack/Beasley (Sessions was also) were. The only commitment was to Hardaway who at $17mm is... OK. Kanter is 25 and has had some huge games vs. Embiid already so Im not sure what you are looking at there aside from the usual sky is falling.

The only strategy here should be how to build around KP successfully so we are a playoff-bound team when he is 100% healthy by surrounding him with good, young pieces. Any reaction from Briggs and others alike who say offer IT a big contract, blow it all up by trading KP, or whatever will always be a knee-jerk reaction to another lost season in the win-column. That is what rebuilding is, taking the lumps until you get it right. KP has an entire career ahead of him, there is no rush or need to make another franchise-altering direction. We know what the direction of the front office is, adding talent in the 20-25 age range and hope to hit on some of them. Debating other directions after each game is pointless.

There havent been any quick fix moves to make the playoffs. Were stockpiling picks. G league development is having a positive impact on the team. Players and mgmt are more or less on the same page. This is how its done.

Knixkik
USA
3/29/2018  10:42 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

There havent been any quick fix moves to make the playoffs. Were stockpiling picks. G league development is having a positive impact on the team. Players and mgmt are more or less on the same page. This is how its done.

Exactly right. But because we aren't the Celtics or Sixers already, we must be doing it all wrong!!!

knicks1248
Member: #582
3/29/2018  10:54 AM

So what exactly do you call what walsh do.

You think sitting on your hands waiting for the lottery is how your going to get better(is that your love affair with the process), it takes trades, FA, coaching, gambles, luck, and a commitment to winning

Has this front office proven they are capaable of that?

ES
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/29/2018  11:20 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

So what exactly do you call what walsh do.

You think sitting on your hands waiting for the lottery is how your going to get better(is that your love affair with the process), it takes trades, FA, coaching, gambles, luck, and a commitment to winning

Has this front office proven they are capaable of that?

they tried it your way for 15 years and it never worked. Im glad they are doing it a different way and not making those stupid trades they used to make throwing away constant picks/youth for bloated contracts
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/29/2018  11:22 AM
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Exactly right. But because we aren't the Celtics or Sixers already, we must be doing it all wrong!!!

To add: For me, how the front office handles the next 2 drafts, KOQ/Kanter/Lee over the next 2 seasons, mid-level signings, free agent cap space signings in 2019 will tell us a lot about their capability.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
USA
3/29/2018  11:46 AM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

To add: For me, how the front office handles the next 2 drafts, KOQ/Kanter/Lee over the next 2 seasons, mid-level signings, free agent cap space signings in 2019 will tell us a lot about their capability.

Next 2 drafts will be make or break for this organization moving forward.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/29/2018  1:31 PM
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

For me: Kanter/KOQ/Lee

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
blkexec
Member: #748
3/29/2018  2:04 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

For me: Kanter/KOQ/Lee

Maybe it's me, but having Kanter as your starter, next to KP, with a poor man version of KP off the bench? That's got to be one of the softest defensive units in the NBA. Lance Thomas is a solid player to have. He guards all the best players in the NBA, and does ok hitting a few jumpers. But If Kanter and Lance are in the starting lineup, then we will always be behind the elite teams.

Same things I said about Melo is the same with KP. We need players around KP that fill his weaknesses. KP is a good shot blocker, but he can't protect the rim, and leak out on fastbreaks and try to be this offensive all star. We need a shot blocker and a center that plays defense, instead of standing under the rim looking for a charge, just to get posturized.

Lance Thomas should be sitting next to Jack, getting ready for an assistant coaching position. Watching the game yesterday made it clear to me. This team goes as far as Lance offense goes (he's open for a reason). This team goes as far as Kanters rim protection (too easy to score on Kanter). A healthy KP covered up these weaknesses before he went down. Now they are exposed again, which is good. Maybe now without KP, management can clearly see where the holes are. Center and SF....Defense, Athletes, Catch and shoot players.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
3/29/2018  2:04 PM
The building of a championship team has become increasingly affected by the clustering of stars (the pseudo-whims of free agency), projecting future rule and draft entry changes, refining player and coaching metrics, assessing the skill set distribution of upcoming prospects out to middle school, and accurate projection of future salary caps. Naturally, these elements affect the risk posture a team takes, and this generally affects all decision making, including draft selections and FA signings. Let’s take advanced metrics.

The most obvious findings of advanced analytics have been the impressive marginal returns of strong 3 point shooting at the 4 and 5 positions, and the value of multi-positional defensive versatility. From this sprouted the vaguer term of “positionless basketball.” Like all analysis, the findings may lead to over and under-valuations of certain player categories, including the often binarized “stars” and “3 and D” role players. The reality is that each player operates on a spectrum, and more precisely defining the value of draft picks requieres further improvement of models assessing both the player’s skill/physical trajectory and the positional competitive space.

Part of the reason tanking teams have not improved despite high draft picks is the undervaluation of 3 and D prospects, who generally are easier to project. It’s the relative lower risk of these players that adds premium to their value in the draft, especially if the “3 and D” characterization imprecisely discounts some intermediate offensive capabilities, which may add value in specific team contexts.

On the other hand, an over-reaction to the 3 and D fallout may result in risk aversion to players with asymmetric but large productivity i.e. apparent 1 way players. In my opinion, this is causing a gross under-valuation of Trey Young, who I hope falls to us at 9. Of course, there’s an associated risk, but it’s when to take the home run swing that remains unclear, and why the draft continues to be both unpredictable and influential.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
It's going to be very hard competing w Philly and boston

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy