[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Steve Mills thread
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/22/2018  10:50 AM
This was Steve Mills job in 2003: "Chief operating officer and Sports Business President of Madison Square Garden in 2003.[4] His duties at MSG included supervising day-to-day operations, including finances, business strategies of the NBAs New York Knicks, NHL's New York Rangers and the WNBA's New York Liberty. All sports related activities were under his jurisdiction, including boxing, college basketball and track & field." This from wikipedia. Not some made up Nalodian shyt. To blame him for the knicks roster/coaching moves of that era is ignorant.

In 2013 Steve was hired as team president. When phil came aboard a few months later he was made GM but for anyone with any awareness Phil had final basketball say and was pretty much the GM regarding basketball decisions. Phil could not change the medical staff as he wished. A little imagination is required that Mills while titled "GM" was not in the traditional role.

When He hired Perry it became evident we FINALLY have a pretty standard organizational chart that we have not seen in a long time in NY. Isiah was president and GM, Grunwald was deputy dog, Walsh was really not wanted by Dolan, Grunwald was his deputy dog and if you recall Donnie wanted to groom Chris Mullen as his replacement which Dolan did not allow, When Donnie was made gone, Grunwald was GM until he was canned in October of 2013. Who fires a GM in October? Weird.

Seems to me that this regime, still in its infancy with no draft or summer behind them is doing what most Popovitch disciples do: rebuild with youth and give retreads opportunities. Its what Sean Marks is doing with the Nets. WE give them accolades even with their shytty record. We had the "Misfortune" of playing first third of the season above .500. Some of you make it sound like thats a bad thing! Like you knew KP would blow out his knee!

I applaud the quick reality that tanking/youthier was the proper path for the rest of the season. In the past we'd burn assets to try to make the playoffs and mortgaging the future by doing so.

Sometimes a simple primer on our past clarifies the present. To blame him as the architect of our pain the last 15 years is not correct. He deserves no love yet but the hate is unfounded. IN MY OPINION.

AUTOADVERT
Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

3/23/2018  5:50 AM
Nalod wrote:This was Steve Mills job in 2003: "Chief operating officer and Sports Business President of Madison Square Garden in 2003.[4] His duties at MSG included supervising day-to-day operations, including finances, business strategies of the NBAs New York Knicks, NHL's New York Rangers and the WNBA's New York Liberty. All sports related activities were under his jurisdiction, including boxing, college basketball and track & field." This from wikipedia. Not some made up Nalodian shyt. To blame him for the knicks roster/coaching moves of that era is ignorant.

In 2013 Steve was hired as team president. When phil came aboard a few months later he was made GM but for anyone with any awareness Phil had final basketball say and was pretty much the GM regarding basketball decisions. Phil could not change the medical staff as he wished. A little imagination is required that Mills while titled "GM" was not in the traditional role.

When He hired Perry it became evident we FINALLY have a pretty standard organizational chart that we have not seen in a long time in NY. Isiah was president and GM, Grunwald was deputy dog, Walsh was really not wanted by Dolan, Grunwald was his deputy dog and if you recall Donnie wanted to groom Chris Mullen as his replacement which Dolan did not allow, When Donnie was made gone, Grunwald was GM until he was canned in October of 2013. Who fires a GM in October? Weird.

Seems to me that this regime, still in its infancy with no draft or summer behind them is doing what most Popovitch disciples do: rebuild with youth and give retreads opportunities. Its what Sean Marks is doing with the Nets. WE give them accolades even with their shytty record. We had the "Misfortune" of playing first third of the season above .500. Some of you make it sound like thats a bad thing! Like you knew KP would blow out his knee!

I applaud the quick reality that tanking/youthier was the proper path for the rest of the season. In the past we'd burn assets to try to make the playoffs and mortgaging the future by doing so.

Sometimes a simple primer on our past clarifies the present. To blame him as the architect of our pain the last 15 years is not correct. He deserves no love yet but the hate is unfounded. IN MY OPINION.

We will burn assets this off-season just watch
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/23/2018  6:48 AM
I would not blame Mills for anything, but simply by his presence and tenure, he is part of the organizations culture, and honestly a clean slate would have been better when we got rid of Phil.

We can pin THjr firmly on him. Not a terrible signing, but maybe one that in retrospect hurt our tanking. I'd say the mistake with signing Hardaway was that we weren't in a position to start building, and still needed to bleed out and acquire assets through the draft.

As long as Dolan owns the Knicks, we're sadly going to be a dumpster fire. That has been proven by his ownership thus far, and it's not a short record.

Nalod
USA
3/23/2018  7:45 AM
franco12 wrote:I would not blame Mills for anything, but simply by his presence and tenure, he is part of the organizations culture, and honestly a clean slate would have been better when we got rid of Phil.

We can pin THjr firmly on him. Not a terrible signing, but maybe one that in retrospect hurt our tanking. I'd say the mistake with signing Hardaway was that we weren't in a position to start building, and still needed to bleed out and acquire assets through the draft.

As long as Dolan owns the Knicks, we're sadly going to be a dumpster fire. That has been proven by his ownership thus far, and it's not a short record.

so its mills fault we did not lose more this season?
When we handed the keys to KP didn’t we have to try? Wasn’t there a point were KP and his people have to be shown a level of sincerity, continuity and some form of trust building?
THjr was over paid but thats how we had to do to get him and he at worst was average for the money.
I’m not sugar coating Mills, but my point was his first tenure here included all phases of MSG operations and not just the knicks. His job was not measured by the wins and loses of the knicks or the Rangers, it was operations.
That’s all I’m saying. That he never had a chance to put his stamp on the team as Phil was in charge of the culture and roster talent. I know he was “GM” but we all can read.
Since Phil’s departure there have been substantial changes to the decision model and my point is to say we are getting a make over but we are used to it being done with great fanfare and starphucedness.
Also remember the time line, Phil had pulled the pin in the granade and was about to blow it the hell up. Dolan had undercut Mills three years earlier with his hire and I think owed him a chance. Dolan had recruited Mills back just before he was set to take over as the NBA union chief. In all fairness he owed that opportunity. It’s easier to have confidence in an exec with a successful track record on the same capacity but remember all success comes to an end and unless they retire on top it ends bad. Even for Kupchek out in LA!

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
3/23/2018  8:31 AM
Mind and Ego of the fans need escape-goat.
If they cannot find one the world is ended.
Because this means that fan rooting for team in junk state, lack of patience and common sense are his own faults. Unacceptable.
So be it Mills, or Horny, or Dolan, or whoever comes next must be blamed.
Just accepting the reality and be with it is very tall order.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/23/2018  8:35 AM
Nalod wrote:
franco12 wrote:I would not blame Mills for anything, but simply by his presence and tenure, he is part of the organizations culture, and honestly a clean slate would have been better when we got rid of Phil.

so its mills fault we did not lose more this season?
When we handed the keys to KP didn’t we have to try? Wasn’t there a point were KP and his people have to be shown a level of sincerity, continuity and some form of trust building?
THjr was over paid but thats how we had to do to get him and he at worst was average for the money.
I’m not sugar coating Mills, but my point was his first tenure here included all phases of MSG operations and not just the knicks. His job was not measured by the wins and loses of the knicks or the Rangers, it was operations.
That’s all I’m saying. That he never had a chance to put his stamp on the team as Phil was in charge of the culture and roster talent. I know he was “GM” but we all can read.
Since Phil’s departure there have been substantial changes to the decision model and my point is to say we are getting a make over but we are used to it being done with great fanfare and starphucedness.
Also remember the time line, Phil had pulled the pin in the granade and was about to blow it the hell up. Dolan had undercut Mills three years earlier with his hire and I think owed him a chance. Dolan had recruited Mills back just before he was set to take over as the NBA union chief. In all fairness he owed that opportunity. It’s easier to have confidence in an exec with a successful track record on the same capacity but remember all success comes to an end and unless they retire on top it ends bad. Even for Kupchek out in LA!

I agree 100%.

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
3/23/2018  8:43 PM
It's a perpetual sad state of affairs. The only positive things Knick fans can ever point to what a guy hasn't done wrong or why things aren't his fault. I'm not sure we have a person in the front office that has significant positive past accomplishments in their current role. Perry has been part of success in the past, so hopefully there is more to him than we are used to getting.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/23/2018  10:05 PM
Mills resume should be put in the same frame as the Knicks record since he joined the organization. As well as enabling some very bad behavior under his watch. Dont want that part to be lost in the conversation.

Id much rather talk about his partnership with Perry, bringing in Robinson, and even signing Hardaway. Wherever he ends up, 6th man or consistent starter, believe he has shown more cojones than anyone on the team. Battled through a lot of stuff this season. A serious injury, and slump. Took more charges than all his teammates combined they said on MSG.

Might have been a safe choice for Mills, the jury is still out on the contract, but I dont fault him for taking a chance on Timmy.

Nalod
USA
3/24/2018  1:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/24/2018  1:38 PM
Timmy hung 39 on the wolves shooting 13 for 24.
Do knick fans feel good about this? Not saying its a coronation to greatness, just a career high!
Do knick fans who hate Mills not like this because it does not suit their agenda?
Me, Im just happy!!! Its not Trevor Booker moment, but nice game! Before there is consistency there are sporadic nice things!
Same for Frank. Good moments between the bad ones is called progress when it happens with increased frequency.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

3/24/2018  7:46 PM
Nalod wrote:Timmy hung 39 on the wolves shooting 13 for 24.
Do knick fans feel good about this? Not saying its a coronation to greatness, just a career high!
Do knick fans who hate Mills not like this because it does not suit their agenda?
Me, Im just happy!!! Its not Trevor Booker moment, but nice game! Before there is consistency there are sporadic nice things!
Same for Frank. Good moments between the bad ones is called progress when it happens with increased frequency.

Yeah what was his line the game before? How many 30 point games has he had this season? Hardaway had a good game, he will have those he is very streaky. The problem is he has way more meh games than good, not even great games. He is a solid player maybe even worth his contract but the problem is he doesn't move the needle enough to waste resources while we are rebuilding. We should of tanked from game 1, wasted season

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/24/2018  7:55 PM
He's terrible. We would have Mudiay if it was up to him but no kp.
RIP Crushalot😞
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

3/24/2018  10:24 PM
BRIGGS wrote:He's terrible. We would have Mudiay if it was up to him but no kp.

Based on what evidence

Nalod
USA
3/24/2018  11:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/24/2018  11:55 PM
Nalod wrote:Timmy hung 39 on the wolves shooting 13 for 24.
The Steve Mills thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy