[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NY Post: Willy Hernangomez’s new coach gets brutally honest and big man loves it
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
3/18/2018  12:40 PM
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:Willy using the excuses Clifford called him out on!
Willy, like Mudiay is getting another chance. Not much more.
It’s not like he held a press conference or a feature on 60minutes, Hornets in town for game and they stuck a mike in his face and asked him questions. WIlly is embarrassed and sayaing how much “different” it is in Charlotte. A team that made the playoffs last year and is very much underperforming. I like CLifford but he is not likely long for his job there. For Willy to gush about a 30 win team is silly.
Maybe he will man up and let the game speak for himself.

Unlike Mudiay, Willy was never given much of a chance in NYK defective system of development to be successful.

Willy's current coach and his previous coach are saying the same thing. Willy doesn't put in the work to earn the playing time. This is on him.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/18/2018  1:19 PM
Vmart wrote:
It’s not like he held a press conference or a feature on 60minutes, Hornets in town for game and they stuck a mike in his face and asked him questions. WIlly is embarrassed and sayaing how much “different” it is in Charlotte. A team that made the playoffs last year and is very much underperforming. I like CLifford but he is not likely long for his job there. For Willy to gush about a 30 win team is silly.

Unlike Mudiay, Willy was never given much of a chance in NYK defective system of development to be successful.

Willy was first team all rookie last season with the same coach. KOQ beat him fair and square and no injuries happened to let Willy get in the rotation. Do you think its unfair? Think that after a season and a half you can get a sense of the kids work habits, intensity etc, things we as fans have no access to properly access? We forsaken him for Hicks and Kornet but now have two picks in his place.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
3/19/2018  11:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2018  4:07 PM
Let's see, he still can't jump and his defense sucks. Next.

At least he's proven he can outplay Cody Zeller in practice...

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
3/19/2018  11:29 AM
Does that mean Mudiay beat out Burke and Ntlikina in practice? Stop BSing yourself. JH had it in for him ever since that incident when Willie let out JH called KP a puss*.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/19/2018  11:39 AM
Vmart wrote:Does that mean Mudiay beat out Burke and Ntlikina in practice? Stop BSing yourself. JH had it in for him ever since that incident when Willie let out JH called KP a puss*.

Someone would have to speculate about that. I am not aware of Hornacek making any comments about Frank or Burke's work ethic or attitude. We have comments from both of Willy's coaches about him.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/19/2018  11:41 AM
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Willy was first team all rookie last season with the same coach. KOQ beat him fair and square and no injuries happened to let Willy get in the rotation. Do you think its unfair? Think that after a season and a half you can get a sense of the kids work habits, intensity etc, things we as fans have no access to properly access? We forsaken him for Hicks and Kornet but now have two picks in his place.

Bottom line is Willy didn't improve in the areas needed most to succeed today. He needed to improve his quickness on defense and his shooting. Willy is a good post scorer and rebounder. KOQ is a much better defender and shooter, and those things are needed more in today's game, at the very least. Willy can't defend in space or draw a defender out of the paint, and that's a big problem in 2018.

Vmart
USA
3/19/2018  11:50 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Bottom line is Willy didn't improve in the areas needed most to succeed today. He needed to improve his quickness on defense and his shooting. Willy is a good post scorer and rebounder. KOQ is a much better defender and shooter, and those things are needed more in today's game, at the very least. Willy can't defend in space or draw a defender out of the paint, and that's a big problem in 2018.

That is why I would not give Kanter a contract. I’d rather go forward with Kornet or just draft a defensive center in the second round. The more stretch players on the floor the better. Kornet can hit the three imagine having shooters at every spot.

Nalod
USA
3/19/2018  11:58 AM
Vmart wrote:Does that mean Mudiay beat out Burke and Ntlikina in practice? Stop BSing yourself. JH had it in for him ever since that incident when Willie let out JH called KP a puss*.

I seem to recall the quote was "Tell KP to stop playing like a Pus*y"!
Also in the context of how coaches and players converse its not so damning as you might think. Say before the game he says "KP, when you bail out with those long J's instead of taking it to the rim your playing like a puss! I"d rather you bang it down low!!"
Then later he says to WIlly to convey the quote, its more of a reminder of what was spoken.
Now, Willy should NOT be talking to press in any event.
I thought Willy talking about how much better it is in charlotte was immature as well. Bottom line is what you do on the court. he can just say "I welcome the opportunity in charlotte". That's all.
As for calling out KP, there is a difference. He did not say he was a Pus*y, he said "Playing like one". Big difference!!!
and If JH is complimentary and and constructive in his coaching 90% of the time then its no big deal!

Vmart
USA
3/19/2018  12:07 PM
Nalod wrote:

Also in the context of how coaches and players converse its not so damning as you might think. Say before the game he says "KP, when you bail out with those long J's instead of taking it to the rim your playing like a puss! I"d rather you bang it down low!!"
Then later he says to WIlly to convey the quote, its more of a reminder of what was spoken.
I thought Willy talking about how much better it is in charlotte was immature as well. Bottom line is what you do on the court. he can just say "I welcome the opportunity in charlotte". That's all.
As for calling out KP, there is a difference. He did not say he was a Pus*y, he said "Playing like one". Big difference!!!
and If JH is complimentary and and constructive in his coaching 90% of the time then its no big deal!

I think your hurt by what Willie said. Maybe it is better in Charlotte. Just maybe Willie is giving you some clue as to how backward the NYK system is. Why kill the messenger. He just might be telling the truth.

Nalod
USA
3/19/2018  12:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/19/2018  12:23 PM
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:

I think your hurt by what Willie said. Maybe it is better in Charlotte. Just maybe Willie is giving you some clue as to how backward the NYK system is. Why kill the messenger. He just might be telling the truth.

Trust me, Im not hurt. He might be telling the truth. This is the same kid that did really well last year with the same backward system.
Or, since Perry came in and Craig Robinson perhaps the bar is now higher and he is not getting it done in the development area?
What Im doing is discussing the context of quotes. Do you think JH is petty enough to slam down Willy because he mentioned his comment?
Seems a bit one dimensional to make that assumption.
Is it better in Charlotte? Really? Just fired the GM, Can't draft right or deveolop the rookies, and they got blown out by a team that has lost 17 of 18 games with a roster that is playing its Gleague team more than its vets.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/19/2018  12:24 PM
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:

yes Vmart... do tell us about Cha's long successful history of player development.

Maybe Willy didnt get in shape, didnt practice hard, didnt do the things the Knicks asked him to and they took a chance to move a guy who might have a work ethic issue and is also buddies with the franchise player. Maybe Knicks quickly pulled the plug on THAT eh? Naaaaaa....

Why you so hurt Vmart? What is it about Perry/Mills that you just cant stand? Because you seem to look REALLY hard for things to not like and get worked up about. Just curious.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/19/2018  12:25 PM
Vmart wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

That is why I would not give Kanter a contract. I’d rather go forward with Kornet or just draft a defensive center in the second round. The more stretch players on the floor the better. Kornet can hit the three imagine having shooters at every spot.

It just depends on the expectation of Kanter. I believe he is a very good 6th man with his skillset and maybe we can move him there eventually. Ultimately it comes down to what his market is.

Nalod
USA
3/19/2018  12:29 PM
Vmart wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

They grow those second round centers on trees now? Kornet is a back up PF to KP at best. KOQ is an excellent back up for us.
As for Kanter its a tough question. He does some nice things. If he did it all, he'd be an allstar!

I'd draft the best player possible this summer and then deal with kanter. He might opt in and stick until next year. That's not in knicks control. If you draft a Center, then you let KOQ walk. ITs a business. If you get a 3, then resign him. Its a fluid situation.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

3/19/2018  12:31 PM
Willy will soon fade into oblivion ---- but we should have kept him instead of KP because Willy will be better than KP in 2 more years.
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
3/19/2018  12:48 PM
Willy isn't all there
Vmart
USA
3/19/2018  2:22 PM
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:

yes Vmart... do tell us about Cha's long successful history of player development.

Maybe Willy didnt get in shape, didnt practice hard, didnt do the things the Knicks asked him to and they took a chance to move a guy who might have a work ethic issue and is also buddies with the franchise player. Maybe Knicks quickly pulled the plug on THAT eh? Naaaaaa....

Why you so hurt Vmart? What is it about Perry/Mills that you just cant stand? Because you seem to look REALLY hard for things to not like and get worked up about. Just curious.

Fish I have a lot of respect for you and Nalod too. But doesn’t it bother you guys that they discarded an all rookie team player. A guy like Mudiay one of the worst +|- is seen as some sort of savior. I’m sorry but the logic isn’t kicking in here. Guy on rookie deal for that matter. I don’t want to pay 20 million for Kanter. I don’t want to give O’Quin a new deal. All that BS of Willie didn’t work hard and doesn’t deserve playing time. I’m not buying that. It really bothers me the way the handles Willie because it showed a lack of patience which is necessary for development of young players.

My point is if Willie was ostracized for not hustling then what the hell is Mudiay. He doesn’t play defense and he doesn’t shoot well either. Yet he gets to start. This guy must be Michael Jordan in practice.

Nalod
USA
3/19/2018  3:26 PM
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Fish I have a lot of respect for you and Nalod too. But doesn’t it bother you guys that they discarded an all rookie team player. A guy like Mudiay one of the worst +|- is seen as some sort of savior. I’m sorry but the logic isn’t kicking in here. Guy on rookie deal for that matter. I don’t want to pay 20 million for Kanter. I don’t want to give O’Quin a new deal. All that BS of Willie didn’t work hard and doesn’t deserve playing time. I’m not buying that. It really bothers me the way the handles Willie because it showed a lack of patience which is necessary for development of young players.

My point is if Willie was ostracized for not hustling then what the hell is Mudiay. He doesn’t play defense and he doesn’t shoot well either. Yet he gets to start. This guy must be Michael Jordan in practice.

When I say I Think its "Fluid", there are so many factors to what our future holds. Its not a choice of Noah, Kanter or KOQ exclusively. One could rack their brain to what else is possible, but it could be via draft. We could enact a trade if Kanter does not opt in. I put willy in this because obviously Perry is not thinking this kid has a future here. Nor did Denvers GM in Mudiay.
"Starting" is no reward for Mudiay but an audition. So the contrast of "Why him and not Willy" is not the same.
Willie was all rookie in a system that was different than what we played last year. Funny, guys like Wennington, Longley and Cartwright thrived under the triangle. So might have Willy? Im not into "Good riddance" but we the notion that willy is being unfairly devalued or treated does not ring with me. Im not happy he is gone by any stretch, but one has to assume our brass does not believe in him. We developed him enough to double what we invested in him! Two second round picks!!!
Is he worth more? Did we mess him up? Did he not uphold his end of the deal? Even if he came in shape, perhaps we have a plan and he is not it.
Mudiay? What I see with my own two eyes is a kid that does some really good things inconsistently. Given our status we can give him minutes (he starts, but plays as much as frank)and then with larger sample under our coaches he'll have a baseline to work with our coaches. Craig Robinson has some special innovative plan and perhaps he is a good test subject to develop. He is still young. Willy is young too. Not sure what if any personality traits he has that we don't like.
That don't make us wrong, or Charlotte right.
Maybe if we draft the next great kid with that pick we'll feel better about it?

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/19/2018  3:28 PM
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:

dude.. first of all you are doing it again. Making stuff up to construct an argument. Can you give me an example of ANYONE on this site calling Mudiay anything close to savior? Most people understand the simplicity of why Mudiay is here but you. Knicks were not resigning McD. He had faded and is older and obviously not someone they wanted to offer a long deal to. So they moved a guy who was a gonner for Mudiay who is something between total trash and worth a look.

You spout a lot of negative stuff about things that you have no info on. I dont really get it to be honest. We whiffed on Donovan Mitchell. Hardaway wasnt much of a difference maker and his D has been bad, I mean there are things to be grumpy about. Its like your really digging deep to throw shade.

But doesn’t it bother you guys that they discarded an all rookie team player
You are asking the wrong question. Who cares if it bothers me? Im an a-hole. The question you should be asking is why Perry/Mills discarded him. Now THAT is interesting. Maybe they saw something they didnt like and wanted him gone. He's KP's friend. What if he parties too much? Is the JR Smith of Spain? VMart I dont know but we have assume they had a reason to move him, especially knowing that Noah is a bust, KOQ is likely gone and Kanter might opt out.

Why do you think they dumped him? Maybe they are wrong. That would be bad judgement. Maybe Willy is beast in year or 4. Maybe he's out of the league and doesnt really love the game, just being really good at it. You think there could be ANY factors beyond Knick stupidity? Why would I let something bother me I have no info on?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
knicks1248
Member: #582
3/21/2018  3:54 PM
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:

The losing culture has always been associated with MILLS

ES
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

3/21/2018  10:06 PM
Ian Begley quote on tonight's game re: Willie:

Steve Clifford offers a great observation on the insulation some players are surrounded by when speaking about Willy Hernangomez over the weekend: "Frankly if you were one place and you didn't play much, I think that if you want to play more in the next place — I would work harder, do more, kill myself, that's the way I would see it," the coach said. "Unfortunately, in the world the players live in, they don't hear that. Instead, it's the (fault of the) organization, it's the coach, the assistant, that isn't working with him right. No, come on. I tell our guys that all the time. They're surrounded by people who tell them what they want to hear. The reality is this — he wasn't playing here for a reason. You know, he's going to have to change things."

He changes his stripes or he's out of the league in two years. Good trade Perry/Mills - and was a big Willy supporter last year.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
NY Post: Willy Hernangomez’s new coach gets brutally honest and big man loves it

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy