[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NY Post: Willy Hernangomez’s new coach gets brutally honest and big man loves it
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/17/2018  1:25 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/willy-hernangomezs-new-coach-gets-brutally-honest-and-big-man-loves-it/
Is Willy delusional? I remember Jeff being very clear in stating his reasons for not playing Willy.
Clifford points out some of the same things and it clicks?

With Hernangomez ready to face the Knicks on Saturday at the Garden, Kristaps Porzingis’ best buddy hasn’t seen a jump in playing time since the trade. Clifford explained in detail about the Spanish center’s need to improve shooting range and defensive reads because he’s “not a high-flier” and said he wants him to be rid of his image as a strictly back-to-the-basket big man. He also hinted at improving Hernangomez’s work ethic.

“He tells you things that’s going on and what he wants,’’ Hernangomez said of Clifford. “He wants to you to improve if you want to play. It’s very clear. Here everybody follows rules, defense and offense. (In New York) it was a little more free. I’m really surprised when I came here to see the difference.’’
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/17/2018  1:33 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/willy-hernangomezs-new-coach-gets-brutally-honest-and-big-man-loves-it/
Is Willy delusional? I remember Jeff being very clear in stating his reasons for not playing Willy.

With Hernangomez ready to face the Knicks on Saturday at the Garden, Kristaps Porzingis’ best buddy hasn’t seen a jump in playing time since the trade. Clifford explained in detail about the Spanish center’s need to improve shooting range and defensive reads because he’s “not a high-flier” and said he wants him to be rid of his image as a strictly back-to-the-basket big man. He also hinted at improving Hernangomez’s work ethic.

“He tells you things that’s going on and what he wants,’’ Hernangomez said of Clifford. “He wants to you to improve if you want to play. It’s very clear. Here everybody follows rules, defense and offense. (In New York) it was a little more free. I’m really surprised when I came here to see the difference.’’

Willy had to be traded for it to click. According to some reports came back tbis season "feelin himself, didnt put in enough work or effort (which his new coach echoed) and got outworked for minutes, by everyone. What am I missing here?

Second rounder goes diva, and gets traded. We get two more second round picks.End of story.

BigDaddyG

3/17/2018  1:38 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/willy-hernangomezs-new-coach-gets-brutally-honest-and-big-man-loves-it/

Willy had to be traded for it to click. According to some reports came back tbis season "feelin himself, didnt put in enough work or effort (which his new coach echoed) and got outworked for minutes, by everyone. What am I missing here?

Second rounder goes diva, and gets traded. We get two more second round picks.End of story.

The comment where he says "he tells you things." Jeff seemed pretty consistent with his message since training camp. It seems like he's blaming Jeff for his failure and not the fact that he was unprepared.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler

3/17/2018  1:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/17/2018  1:48 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

The comment where he says "he tells you things." Jeff seemed pretty consistent with his message since training camp. It seems like he's blaming Jeff for his failure and not the fact that he was unprepared.

Put it that way and it sounds like Willy is saying "oops were we supposed to play D?" Not surprising. You're right Hornacek said that defense was important since camp. Benched Kanter regularly early on for bad D, missing assignments. Took the defensive duties from Rambis.

Not the only one who surmises that between his rookie honors, and friendship with KP, Willy tbought it made him bulletproof, and coasted. Found out the hard way. Maybe its a wake up call. He needed it, talented kid.

CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
3/17/2018  2:02 PM

This is a bit concerning. Could be sour grapes on his part but still not something I wanted to hear.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
3/17/2018  2:10 PM
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
3/17/2018  2:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/17/2018  2:13 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

He's basically saying the development process here sucks, no argument about that.

Nobody gets to play through their mistakes other than frank

ES
BigDaddyG

3/17/2018  2:12 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

This is a bit concerning. Could be sour grapes on his part but still not something I wanted to hear.

I would be concerned if it wasn't for the fact the Enes and KOQ seem to understand their roles on the court. They may not execute at 100%, but you can see the plan. Don't get me wrong. I think Clifford is a better coach. But it seems like Jeff had fewer demands for Willy's game...pick up defensive intensity, roll harder to the basket etc. Clifford wants to completely overhaul Willy's game. I don't see that working out.
GustavBahler

3/17/2018  2:37 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

He's basically saying the development process here sucks, no argument about that.

Nobody gets to play through their mistakes other than frank

Thought Hornacek made it clear, it was effort that was keeping Willy from getting minutes, not skill. Willy needs a decent mid range jumper, but I dont believe that kept him from getting PT. Got outworked, too skiddish about contact. That Willy has to develop on his own.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/17/2018  4:00 PM
Willy is a piece of ****.... no fluff here. He was a clear cancer that only wanted to better his own career. He said in in the media twice. Fuck that piece of ****.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/17/2018  6:49 PM
Willy did just fine last season and was second all rookie team, etc.
Who was his coach? Yeah, thought so.
NBA players just talking what ever. Sour grapes?
LEts see how he does next year. We drafted him, he came close, we got two picks in return.
Happens all the time in the NBA. What, some of you JH haters gonna get upset cuz he might be the next Marc Gasol?
If he does THEN get mad.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/18/2018  12:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/18/2018  12:23 AM
EnySpree wrote:Willy is a piece of ****.... no fluff here. He was a clear cancer that only wanted to better his own career. He said in in the media twice. Fuck that piece of ****.
thats a little too rough dude. I admit he didnt push himself as much as he should have BUT that doesnt make him a piece of sh:t
EnySpree

3/18/2018  8:15 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Willy is a piece of ****.... no fluff here. He was a clear cancer that only wanted to better his own career. He said in in the media twice. Fuck that piece of ****.
thats a little too rough dude. I admit he didnt push himself as much as he should have BUT that doesnt make him a piece of sh:t

Dude.... He comes off as nice guy and he's Kps best friend and all that but you have to go by way a man does to judge his charecter. No sugar coating. He thought he was gonna be hand giving the starting center spot and he was given opportunity to take it and he played mediocre. Threes no denying what he said to the media twice. Can't let this guy off the hook

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
GustavBahler

3/18/2018  8:23 AM
From the Daily News
Clifford, a former Knicks assistant, wasn’t pulling punches in his assessment, implying that Hernangomez’s attitude requires an overhaul and he needs to stop looking for excuses.

“Frankly if you were one place and you didn’t play much, I think that if you want to play more in the next place — I would work harder, do more, kill myself, that’s the way I would see it,” the coach said. “Unfortunately, in the world the players live in they don’t hear that. Instead, it’s the organization, it’s the coach, the assistant, that isn’t working with him right. No, come on.

“I tell our guys that all the time. They’re surrounded by people who tell them what they want to hear. The reality is this — he wasn’t playing here for a reason. You know, he’s going to have to change things.”

StarksEwing1

3/18/2018  9:30 AM
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Dude.... He comes off as nice guy and he's Kps best friend and all that but you have to go by way a man does to judge his charecter. No sugar coating. He thought he was gonna be hand giving the starting center spot and he was given opportunity to take it and he played mediocre. Threes no denying what he said to the media twice. Can't let this guy off the hook

once again im not denying that he didnt put in enough work. My point is calling him a piece of sh:t is taking it too far. Call him lazy thats fine.
EnySpree

3/18/2018  10:17 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

once again im not denying that he didnt put in enough work. My point is calling him a piece of sh:t is taking it too far. Call him lazy thats fine.

This forum is not what it used to be man

StarksEwing1

3/18/2018  10:24 AM
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

well i agree but for different reasons probably
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/18/2018  10:57 AM
Willy using the excuses Clifford called him out on!
Willy, like Mudiay is getting another chance. Not much more.
It’s not like he held a press conference or a feature on 60minutes, Hornets in town for game and they stuck a mike in his face and asked him questions. WIlly is embarrassed and sayaing how much “different” it is in Charlotte. A team that made the playoffs last year and is very much underperforming. I like CLifford but he is not likely long for his job there. For Willy to gush about a 30 win team is silly.
Maybe he will man up and let the game speak for himself.
CrushAlot
USA
3/18/2018  11:57 AM
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Yeah. Guys used to post here under different names.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
3/18/2018  12:27 PM
Nalod wrote:Willy using the excuses Clifford called him out on!
Willy, like Mudiay is getting another chance. Not much more.
It’s not like he held a press conference or a feature on 60minutes, Hornets in town for game and they stuck a mike in his face and asked him questions. WIlly is embarrassed and sayaing how much “different” it is in Charlotte. A team that made the playoffs last year and is very much underperforming. I like CLifford but he is not likely long for his job there. For Willy to gush about a 30 win team is silly.
Maybe he will man up and let the game speak for himself.

Unlike Mudiay, Willy was never given much of a chance in NYK defective system of development to be successful.

NY Post: Willy Hernangomez’s new coach gets brutally honest and big man loves it

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy