[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Another side of player, coach Mark Jackson: "Mark Jackson is not the savior some fans believe he is"
Author Thread
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
3/15/2018  11:38 AM
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:The Knicks need to be innovative enough with the retreads and get a young coach that is up and coming. The Knicks have tried experienced coaches and the results haven’t been there. I’m in the boat for Bobby Hurley. He would be an awesome choice for coach. This guy knows basketball has great coaching lines his father and Coach K. He would be amazing coach. It’s the outside the box thinking the Knicks need to start thinking.

I like Bobby Hurley's grit. Its hard to evaluate the job he is doing because recruiting is not easy and super important in the college game.
Blood lines? Yeah, its important but not as much as horse racing. "Outside the box"? That's ok but it backfires. Fisher, Walton, Kerr, Mark Jax and Kidd were a bit outside the box. Each had no head coaching experience and the results with each is different for many reasons.
Hornacek was a player who came up the hard way. Logistically these kind of players tend to make good coaches because they had to study fundamentals than rely on the athletic ability. Phil Jax was of this back ground. Jerry sloan was a gritty hard tough player in his day.
I think if Fisher, Jax and Kidd were assistants first they might have understood better the character they needed to develop to succeed. Kerr spend time in the front office and that helped. PHil was an assistant in the NBA and head coach in the Continental league before coaching the bulls.
Im OK with Jeff. Monte Williams if he can make the commitment from his kids and David Blatt might be good candidates. Hurley is an interesting choice but I'd rather see him as an assistant and distinguish himself so the players respect him as a pro coach.
We had Atkinson in the system. Knicks in their starphuching ways have not taken the long view of building a culture that would promote from within. Kerr would have been a good "Cultural" choice (go back to the moment) as he was aligned with his mentor. Fact is with his health problems it would not have made sense for him to stay on. Its one thing to be the coach of championship dynasty in the making than a rebuild. Walton along those lines would have been a great alternative and perhaps he would have followed Kerr here. I think their decisions have worked out best for them. They are California based guys and finding success!
Mills and Perry don't have this base to build on. Fact is, we tried to "Import" it with Phil and on paper it was a good idea but did not execute as we all now know.
Its hard to visualize the current situation as the start of a "culture" but the fact is those things are build on momentum so its possible we are in the "Genesis" of new one. Needless to say I have no evidence to say that. Its my opinion Mills, Perry, Horny and Craig Robinson are bright guys. If they were already rock stars they'd be situated with where that happened. They are not. Easy to say "lets get guys that......" but we all know that itself is not a sure fire thing.

I saw a lot of Bobby Hurley as a player and in my view he is on the mount rushmore of college PG's and one can argue as a 4 year player he should be in some hall of fame (is there a college HOF?). His accomplishments in 4 years were amazing, three final fours, two chips and a lot of assists!!! Granted, he stayed in school 4 years and perhaps his size kept him from leaving earlier. Im not saying he was the best player but those accomplishments put him in rare air.
Yes, Im a Bobby Hurley fan!!! The best of all worlds is bring him in and Jeff succeeds, and after a successful run and its time for Horney to enjoy the fruits of his labor Bobby Hurley ascends and continues the ways of the new knicks! NoW that's "CULTCHA"!

Bobby Hurley has been coaching for almost 8 years in college. I think that is equivalent to being a assistant coach if not more. Since he has to oversee all aspects of the program. It actually makes him more qualified than Fisher, Jkidd who went from playing to coaching. Having to mold young players which is what a rebuilding team in the NBA is anyway Sophomores and Juniors from college. Hurley is more the mold of Stevens and Snyder.

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/15/2018  12:00 PM
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:The Knicks need to be innovative enough with the retreads and get a young coach that is up and coming. The Knicks have tried experienced coaches and the results haven’t been there. I’m in the boat for Bobby Hurley. He would be an awesome choice for coach. This guy knows basketball has great coaching lines his father and Coach K. He would be amazing coach. It’s the outside the box thinking the Knicks need to start thinking.

I like Bobby Hurley's grit. Its hard to evaluate the job he is doing because recruiting is not easy and super important in the college game.
Blood lines? Yeah, its important but not as much as horse racing. "Outside the box"? That's ok but it backfires. Fisher, Walton, Kerr, Mark Jax and Kidd were a bit outside the box. Each had no head coaching experience and the results with each is different for many reasons.
Hornacek was a player who came up the hard way. Logistically these kind of players tend to make good coaches because they had to study fundamentals than rely on the athletic ability. Phil Jax was of this back ground. Jerry sloan was a gritty hard tough player in his day.
I think if Fisher, Jax and Kidd were assistants first they might have understood better the character they needed to develop to succeed. Kerr spend time in the front office and that helped. PHil was an assistant in the NBA and head coach in the Continental league before coaching the bulls.
Im OK with Jeff. Monte Williams if he can make the commitment from his kids and David Blatt might be good candidates. Hurley is an interesting choice but I'd rather see him as an assistant and distinguish himself so the players respect him as a pro coach.
We had Atkinson in the system. Knicks in their starphuching ways have not taken the long view of building a culture that would promote from within. Kerr would have been a good "Cultural" choice (go back to the moment) as he was aligned with his mentor. Fact is with his health problems it would not have made sense for him to stay on. Its one thing to be the coach of championship dynasty in the making than a rebuild. Walton along those lines would have been a great alternative and perhaps he would have followed Kerr here. I think their decisions have worked out best for them. They are California based guys and finding success!
Mills and Perry don't have this base to build on. Fact is, we tried to "Import" it with Phil and on paper it was a good idea but did not execute as we all now know.
Its hard to visualize the current situation as the start of a "culture" but the fact is those things are build on momentum so its possible we are in the "Genesis" of new one. Needless to say I have no evidence to say that. Its my opinion Mills, Perry, Horny and Craig Robinson are bright guys. If they were already rock stars they'd be situated with where that happened. They are not. Easy to say "lets get guys that......" but we all know that itself is not a sure fire thing.

I saw a lot of Bobby Hurley as a player and in my view he is on the mount rushmore of college PG's and one can argue as a 4 year player he should be in some hall of fame (is there a college HOF?). His accomplishments in 4 years were amazing, three final fours, two chips and a lot of assists!!! Granted, he stayed in school 4 years and perhaps his size kept him from leaving earlier. Im not saying he was the best player but those accomplishments put him in rare air.
Yes, Im a Bobby Hurley fan!!! The best of all worlds is bring him in and Jeff succeeds, and after a successful run and its time for Horney to enjoy the fruits of his labor Bobby Hurley ascends and continues the ways of the new knicks! NoW that's "CULTCHA"!

Bobby Hurley has been coaching for almost 8 years in college. I think that is equivalent to being a assistant coach if not more. Since he has to oversee all aspects of the program. It actually makes him more qualified than Fisher, Jkidd who went from playing to coaching. Having to mold young players which is what a rebuilding team in the NBA is anyway Sophomores and Juniors from college. Hurley is more the mold of Stevens and Snyder.

Brad Stevens was awful his first year. You really think we could have had the forethought to be patient allowing him to grow into the job?
Snyder put in time with Duke and as assistant and turned into fine coach.
Im not against Hurley, I asked the question of how good a job has he done?
I think your being a bit generic here. BUt lets look at his resume. He got into horse racing then decided to get into the family business.

As coach:
2010–2011
Wagner (asst.)
Rhode Island (assoc. HC)
2013–2015
Buffalo
2015–present
Arizona State

On April 13, 2010, Wagner College announced that Hurley was hired as an assistant coach for the men's basketball team. Hurley joined his younger brother Dan Hurley's coaching staff. Dan Hurley had been hired as Wagner's head coach on April 6, 2010. In 2012, the Hurleys took coaching positions at Rhode Island.[12]

On March 26, 2013, Hurley was named the head coach of the Buffalo Bulls, replacing Reggie Witherspoon.[13] Hurley coached the 2014–15 Bulls team to their first NCAA Tournament appearance.

On April 9, 2015, Hurley was hired as head coach at Arizona State. In his first conference game with the Sun Devils, he gained notoriety when he got ejected for 2 technical fouls in 15 seconds for arguing with the officials against the rival Arizona Wildcats.[14] After he got ejected, he encouraged the crowd to continue to taunt the officials.[15] Following a 15–17 first season at Arizona State, Hurley's contract was extended through 2021.[16] A second season showed small improvements and ASU improved its roster with transfers and a few recruits. During his third year as head coach, Hurley would lead Arizona State to their first ever 12–0 start to sweep their non-conference schedule. Along the way, ASU beat Top-10 teams Kansas and Xavier and were ranked #3 by the Associated Press. With three senior guards leading the way during that time, they began to market themselves as 'Guard U' to start the 2017-18 Pac-12 Conference schedule against their rivals Arizona Wildcats. Following the 77–70 loss Feb. 15, he fell 0–6 against his biggest rival Arizona Wildcats. Despite their early season success, the Sun Devils struggled mightily in conference play, going only 8-10 and earning the 9th seed in the Pac-12 tournament, where they were defeated in the first round by the 8th seeded Colorado Buffaloes. Nevertheless, ASU still earned a bid to the NCAA Tournament and faced Syracuse in a First Four matchup in Dayton. The Orange then beat the Sun Devils 60-56, thus ending their season. Hurley's squad finished 20-12, 8-10 in the Pac-12, his best season so far as the Sun Devils' coac

Quinn Snyder:

Los Angeles Clippers (1992–1993)[edit]
In the middle of his graduate work, Snyder spent the 1992–93 NBA season as an assistant coach for the Los Angeles Clippers.[7]
Duke (1993–1999)[edit]
From 1993 to 1995, Snyder served as an administrative assistant to men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski while Snyder completed his MBA and JD at Duke. After completing both degrees in 1995, Snyder became a full-time assistant coach under Krzyzewski. In 1997, Duke promoted Snyder to associate head coach.[7] During Snyder's time as a Duke assistant coach, Duke made the 1994 and 1999 NCAA tournament championship rounds and the Elite Eight round in 1998. Duke also won the ACC tournament in 1999.
Missouri (1999–2006)[edit]
In 1999, Snyder accepted the head coaching position for the University of Missouri Tigers men's basketball team, succeeding longtime coach Norm Stewart. He eventually led the Tigers to four consecutive NCAA Tournament berths, including the Elite Eight in 2002, matching the deepest run ever made by a Missouri team in the NCAA Tournament.[9]
Snyder was hailed as a sensation upon his arrival at Missouri. His first team knocked off a ranked Illinois team and then defeated Kansas in Snyder's first game against Mizzou's archrival. Snyder's second season was punctuated by similar success. He once again toppled a ranked Kansas team and led the Tigers to their first NCAA victory since 1995. The eventual 2001 NCAA National Champion Duke ended the Tigers' season in the NCAA Tournament.[10] He was named Rookie Coach of the Year by the Basketball Times after the season.[9]
In the summer of 2003, Snyder was an assistant coach for United States at the Pan American Games.[9] In May 2004, Snyder was named in 17 allegations as a part of an NCAA investigation over recruiting violations, centering on improper gifts to guard Ricky Clemons.[11] The program was placed on a three-year probation that November after the NCAA infractions committee ruled that an assistant bought meals, provided transportation and illegally contacted recruits. The committee rejected claims by the school that the rule violations were inadvertent, although it also dismissed charges of major violations, including the Clemons’ claim that assistant coaches paid players cash.[12] Snyder later admitted to having players at his house for "an occasional meal" and giving Clemons clothing.[13]
Snyder resigned as coach on February 10, 2006 following a 26-point loss to Baylor that extended a losing streak to six and dropped the Tigers to a 10-11 record overall, 3-7 in the Big 12. He finished with a 126-91 record over seven years, reaching the NCAA tournament in each of his first four seasons but posting only a 42-42 record since.[14] After his resignation, Snyder accused Missouri athletic director Mike Alden of sending Gary Link, a basketball analyst and assistant to Alden, to inform him that he would be fired after the season. Alden denied the charge.[15]
Austin Toros (2007–2010)[edit]
Following his departure from Missouri in 2006, Snyder initially gave up on coaching for good.[13] But in May 2007, he accepted the head coaching position of the Austin Toros in the NBADL[16]
In the first season, Snyder's team won the Southwest Division championship and reached the D-League Finals. In his second season, Snyder led the Toros to a 32-win season; coached in the 2009 NBA D-League All-Star Game in Phoenix; received the Dennis Johnson Coach of the Year award; and reached the D-League Semi-Finals. In his final season with the team, the Toros compiled another 32-win season – this time with more rookies than any other team in the D-League – and again reached the Semi-Finals. During his three-year tenure in Austin, Snyder compiled more wins and guided more players to the NBA than any other coach in the D-League.[17]
Philadelphia 76ers (2010–2011)[edit]
Snyder became a player development coach for the Philadelphia 76ers of the NBA on June 11, 2010 working under Doug Collins.[18] Soon afterward, Snyder began training draft prospects in workouts preceding the 2010 NBA draft, including future 76ers player Evan Turner.[19] The 76ers finished 41-41 in the 2010–11 season.
Los Angeles Lakers (2011–2012)[edit]
On July 1, 2011, NBA team Los Angeles Lakers hired Snyder as an assistant under coach Mike Brown.[20] In a season shorted by a lockout, the Lakers finished the 2011–12 season in first place in the Pacific Division with a 41-25 record. The Lakers advanced to the Western Conference semi-finals.
CSKA Moscow (2012–2013)[edit]
On July 8, 2012, the European powerhouse team CSKA Moscow of the Russian Professional Basketball League hired Snyder as the head assistant coach under Ettore Messina.[21] CSKA reached the Euroleague Final Four this season, but lost to eventual champion Olympiacos Piraeus in the semi-final round.[22]
Atlanta Hawks (2013–2014)[edit]
On June 10, 2013, the Atlanta Hawks hired Snyder as the head assistant coach.[23]
Utah Jazz (2014–present)[edit]
On June 6, 2014, Snyder was hired by the Utah Jazz to be the team's head coach.[24] He reportedly signed a three-year deal with a team option for a fourth season.[25] Snyder previously worked with Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey from 2007 to 2010 when Lindsey was an assistant GM with the San Antonio Spurs and Snyder coached the Toros, the Spurs’ D-League affiliate.[26] On May 6, 2016, the Jazz announced a long-term contract extension for coach Snyder.[27]

Brad Stevens....Final four and coached his arse off!!! Funny, he has been with Celtics 5 years!!!
Im totally down for a guy like but just remember its not a straight line!!!!
Snyder's body of work is really quite an impressive road taken!!!
Again, not saying Hurley is a bad choice, and not saying he has to have the best winning record but before I elevate him to this pressure cooker I want to see him distinguished at the coaching level in some capacity.

Kemet
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6148

3/15/2018  4:58 PM
I preferred Mark Jackson over MDA foolishness of TANKING and DNP half the roster the first two season as the Knicks headcoach .. plus Mark Jacksom coaches all 5 positions on both sides of the court .. that's something I can not give MDA or Kerr credit as a headcoach.
I watched the GS Warriors a season before Mark Jackson coached the team they were plum awful
VCoug
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

3/16/2018  9:18 PM
Kemet wrote:I preferred Mark Jackson over MDA foolishness of TANKING and DNP half the roster the first two season as the Knicks headcoach .. plus Mark Jacksom coaches all 5 positions on both sides of the court .. that's something I can not give MDA or Kerr credit as a headcoach.
I watched the GS Warriors a season before Mark Jackson coached the team they were plum awful

Did you watch them when he took over? They were even more awful. Winning percentage dropped from 43% to 34%.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Another side of player, coach Mark Jackson: "Mark Jackson is not the savior some fans believe he is"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy