Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/8/2018  12:01 PM
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:This was more so Walsh's fault then Melo's

It was Melo’s fault it always was. If it wasn’t his way he would play the passive-aggressive card all day and everyday. All Melo wanted was post up post up and more post ups. If Melo had any balls he would have turned his game into a more team oriented role with the luxury of any shot being a good shot kind of like Harden. It’s funny how Russell Westbrook had to bitch slap Melo into changing his **** for game. Even Phil couldn’t see through his BS until it was to late. Now the Knicks are stuck with Perry who I think was a panic hire to appease the masses more than to address a need.

Appease the Masses? C’mon man, you appease them with a starphuch name, not a journeyman assistant GM. Perry has put in enough time to warrant the opportunity. While he does not have a “hot” resume, if not him, then who would you have hired?

Put in time? Yeah but what kind of time what kind of success. There is a thing called putting in time and there is a thing called putting in time and being successful they are two different things. I would have hired Joe Dunbar’s before I hired Perry.

You want a guy with convincing past history. I get it. Dumars did a great job but also could not rebuild either.
The past is never repeated. Even GM's cannot always replicate what they did elsewhere.
Bringing in a brand name is not assurance of success.
Funny, Perry did work for Detroit under Dumars!!
Assistant GM's are not responsible for the success for failure in my opinion. ITs the quality of the work. If Perry got a good reputation from his work and his bosses did not implement its possible contributes to the "good reputation". I understand you want a guy that was successful somewhere else. That is hard cuz usually they get fired, relieaved (even Kupchek was moved out)or you want the assistant to the guy that did well. Sometimes that rubs off and works, sometimes they never get the assets in place to make those good decisions. I speak often that GM's work for the owner and often that's a problem. Glenn Taylor in Minny had success with KG, but then years without until they drafted Towns and got Flip back. Orlando is a shyt show for many reasons and I'd have to say the ownership would have be part of the equation. Im sure you blame everything on Layden for Dice, Isiah for Marbury, Walsh for AMare and Melo, etc. Im my book Dolan sets the agenda.
Scott Layden was Pop's assistant which speaks volumes and Im sure if not for the name you'd jump to hire "pop's top guy". He now works in Minny. My point is sometimes its not the teams success but the quality of a mans work that speaks for itself.
Dumars might be the best guy. Dumars might have just been at the right place at the right time. Dumars also drafted Darko. Just shows how tough drafting can be.

AUTOADVERT
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

3/8/2018  1:36 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Hating on this thread. Treated defense like it was unimportant. When he was in NY, a courtside reporter would bring up D, and D'Antoni would often smirk.

He told his players just to jack up shots to play the pcts, but never told them to go for the best look. Now you listen to him in Houston, and often his remarks are almost entirely about defense.

How many teams, how many chances did MDA get in this league before he started figuring things out?

I was on board with the hire until I had a closer look at how he ran a team. F that Hater ****, D'Antoni earned the criticism in NY. What was his record again?

This. Also, he didn't believe in advance scouting, had short practices, and struggled with communication with his team. He needed a gm that recognized his limitations and built a roster to overcome his deficits on defense. Houston is stacked with good 3 and d guys that will get after on both ends of the court. He never addressed defense. Jeffries defending the point isn't a solid plan for team d.

Couldn't agree more...Also, most god/great coaches can adjust to the roster (See Riles in NY) but MDA tried to force his players to adjust to his style and it didn't work (See Melo)....

Uptown

3/8/2018  1:39 PM
Vmart wrote:

It was Melo’s fault it always was. If it wasn’t his way he would play the passive-aggressive card all day and everyday. All Melo wanted was post up post up and more post ups. If Melo had any balls he would have turned his game into a more team oriented role with the luxury of any shot being a good shot kind of like Harden. It’s funny how Russell Westbrook had to bitch slap Melo into changing his **** for game. Even Phil couldn’t see through his BS until it was to late. Now the Knicks are stuck with Perry who I think was a panic hire to appease the masses more than to address a need.

LMAO at hiring Perry, who hardly anybody knew, to appease the masses...You want a gm with experience yet you dont have a problem with phil being hired who had zero experience running and managing a team. phil was the panic move...

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
3/8/2018  2:53 PM
Uptown wrote:
Vmart wrote:

LMAO at hiring Perry, who hardly anybody knew, to appease the masses...You want a gm with experience yet you dont have a problem with phil being hired who had zero experience running and managing a team. phil was the panic move...

That is where you don’t use your tactical part of your brain. If Phil was the attention the the best way to diffuse is go no name. Leaves everyone’s head scratching and there are no opinions because no one knows who he is. It an under the radar type move not necessarily the best move.

Kemet
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6148

3/8/2018  4:44 PM
We are talking bout a Houston Rocket team the strong leadership n decision making Harden put together .. MDA is just a pawn .. our young drat pick Trevor Ariza has more input on how the offense n defense are run than bum coach MDA
Uptown

3/8/2018  5:38 PM
Vmart wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Vmart wrote:

That is where you don’t use your tactical part of your brain. If Phil was the attention the the best way to diffuse is go no name. Leaves everyone’s head scratching and there are no opinions because no one knows who he is. It an under the radar type move not necessarily the best move.

Everyone in the NBA inner circles praised this hire...anyone who bothered to do any research on Perry cam conclude that this was a good hire...only people scratching their heads are phil fanboys and those who dont know much about the game
Vmart
USA
3/8/2018  6:38 PM
Uptown wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Everyone in the NBA inner circles praised this hire...anyone who bothered to do any research on Perry cam conclude that this was a good hire...only people scratching their heads are phil fanboys and those who dont know much about the game

What are they suppose to say? No sir I don’t like it.

markvmc
Member: #1797

3/8/2018  8:49 PM
Weren't the Knicks under MDA middle of the pack for defensive numbers?
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
3/9/2018  12:00 PM
Great. Harden's playing the fuhuck out of his mind, shooting lights out from 6 point range, CP3's kicking it and now it's Melo's fault we're not winning chips with MDA's SSOL and Steph Curry.

Yet another fabulous front runner thread. Follow the shiny rabbit, guys!

WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

3/9/2018  12:13 PM
If you have guys who want to play D and they're willing to put in the effort on that end, you will have results. You can think of all the schemes you want on D, but other than instilling some basic concepts, it is going to be up to the player to put out on that end of the court. Having leaders on your team who push players to perform on the the defensive end is also important.

You look at a guy like Draymond Green on GS...you don't think he wouldn't be in your face if you weren't putting out the effort on D? And there are other players like him on the best teams. Knicks have not had leadership like that since the JVG years, I expect.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Vmart
USA
3/9/2018  4:29 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:If you have guys who want to play D and they're willing to put in the effort on that end, you will have results. You can think of all the schemes you want on D, but other than instilling some basic concepts, it is going to be up to the player to put out on that end of the court. Having leaders on your team who push players to perform on the the defensive end is also important.

You look at a guy like Draymond Green on GS...you don't think he wouldn't be in your face if you weren't putting out the effort on D? And there are other players like him on the best teams. Knicks have not had leadership like that since the JVG years, I expect.

Yes, you are correct willingness of the players is a huge absolutely huge aspect in winning. Can you find willing players and does one or two have supreme confidence in his abilities as a basketball player and do they bring the it factor. The Knicks haven’t had one of those since Ewing. I’m looking at this current draft looking for that player that is going to be great. The Knicksnmost like don’t land him but Luka Doncic has the it factor and he is definitely confident in his abilities. The team that gets Doncic will win championships in the future.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy