KOQ in a nutshell
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/4/2018  5:15 PM
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:Feel like the Knicks have 2 guys who are statistically decent players in a few narrow categories but once you dig further they are net negatives.

Kanter and KOQ

Anybody you looking at to be a replacement?

Feel like the Knicks need to have a lot of things go right (all teams do really) over the next few years to get a deep playoff team.

Draft picks in 2018, 2019, and get rid of Lee's contract for 2019 FA market (and if not 2019 then 2020). To a lesser degree, one of Knicks many second round/GLeague guys needs to be a solid rotation piece.

I don't follow college ball enough to have any input in draft, but from a cost perspective, getting a big man under cost control for 5 years is key to also nabbing a FA guy in 2019, 2020. As soon as you resign Kanter/KOQ type this year or next for more than 1 year, you are priced out of the MAX free agent market. Zero, done, and then you need to draft one yourself, which is tough in the 8-13 range. Not impossible but tough.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/4/2018  5:27 PM
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:Feel like the Knicks have 2 guys who are statistically decent players in a few narrow categories but once you dig further they are net negatives.

Kanter and KOQ

Feel like the Knicks need to have a lot of things go right (all teams do really) over the next few years to get a deep playoff team.

Draft picks in 2018, 2019, and get rid of Lee's contract for 2019 FA market (and if not 2019 then 2020). To a lesser degree, one of Knicks many second round/GLeague guys needs to be a solid rotation piece.

I don't follow college ball enough to have any input in draft, but from a cost perspective, getting a big man under cost control for 5 years is key to also nabbing a FA guy in 2019, 2020. As soon as you resign Kanter/KOQ type this year or next for more than 1 year, you are priced out of the MAX free agent market. Zero, done, and then you need to draft one yourself, which is tough in the 8-13 range. Not impossible but tough.

So the short answer is no you don't have any players in mind to replace them....

I like Kornet in the mix going forward. Other than that the Knicks options might be via trade. Kanter is not gonna opt out. It really doesn't matter if he does. We just have to keep the options open for 2019... if you take a look at this list http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2019/center/ there's really nobody out there worth the trouble. Our best center prospect is probably KP.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

3/4/2018  5:38 PM
Clint Capela stands out to me.... they list him at 6'10"... I thought he was 7ft... he definately plays 7ft
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
martin
USA
3/4/2018  6:21 PM
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Kanter and KOQ

So the short answer is no you don't have any players in mind to replace them....

I like Kornet in the mix going forward. Other than that the Knicks options might be via trade. Kanter is not gonna opt out. It really doesn't matter if he does. We just have to keep the options open for 2019... if you take a look at this list http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2019/center/ there's really nobody out there worth the trouble. Our best center prospect is probably KP.

I just wrote a whole response on how and why I would replace them, essentially it's through the draft.

IMO Kanter is opting in and unless the Knicks draft a big with their first, (and even if they did) I wouldn't be surprised if KOQ signed a 1 year deal with the Knicks at like $8M if he can't find something to his liking elsewhere.

BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
3/4/2018  6:53 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
martin wrote:IMO reason KOQ will never be a starter or important big man on a playoff team (even off bench). Same reason I don’t offer him a long term contract (unless it’s at $5m per)

Constantly sits in paint on D, commits way too many illegal screens, etc

I agree completely. I have been one of his biggest detractors. I just don't think he is any good and so over rated on this site. Terrible defender- can't defend any starting center, can't get out to the 3 pt line, goes for every fake, makes 1-3 illegal screens per game, 1-3 boneheaded plays per game. He never runs hard and just jogs. I see Kanter sprinting down court vs KOQ just jogs and therefore his defender beats him down court for any easy basket.Not sure why he never gets called out for this by Horny. He is a backup, no way can he be a starter. KOQ is fools gold, looks good for moments or a few games but can't do it consistently .Makes some good passes but then makes some terrible passes right to the defender. No way can we give money to a back up center. Much smarter to let him leave and give the minutes to Noah.

All that and he's still holding his man to below average shooting! It must be all that help defense from Jack.

Watch the games and get ur ass out of stats. Many people a lot smarter than me don't trust defensive metrics including SVG."SVG has said repeatedly that he doesn’t trust defensive metrics. One thing I agree with."

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
EnySpree

3/4/2018  7:08 PM
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Kanter and KOQ

I just wrote a whole response on how and why I would replace them, essentially it's through the draft.

IMO Kanter is opting in and unless the Knicks draft a big with their first, (and even if they did) I wouldn't be surprised if KOQ signed a 1 year deal with the Knicks at like $8M if he can't find something to his liking elsewhere.

Never mentioned and specific player you like. The draft is not a player. What draft pick you looking at? I'm legit asking.... but you said you don't follow college ball. So you don't know who is out there then right?

My thing is you can't just say the Knicks should do something in the draft but then you don't even know who they should be looking to draft... that's lazy fandom. We're supposed to be on another level in here

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

3/4/2018  8:12 PM
EnySpree wrote:Anybody you looking at to be a replacement?

His cost to production makes him a luxury type player.

Which would be fine or tolerable IF the Knicks carried a clean cap ( i.e. no bad contracts)

Lance Thomas
Joaquin Noah
Enes Kanter
Courtney Lee
Tim Hardaway Jr

Are all either bad contracts or paid above market for their production/track record.

The Warriors looked at him because of his cost basis against their cap issues. There were very very few matches for the pivot at his current salary scale that wouldn't tip them too badly into the future tax zone.

The Knicks should pass and hope he opts out and good luck to him on his next team.

The team is in a talent deficit situation. Meaning when the draft comes, they'll take the best player available without regard to position unless positional value is a tie breaker against two players they like equally. They could very well take a pivot, and with Kanter just about sure to opt in and Noah being stuck here and Zinger hopefully back by midseason, there could be no functional minutes for KOQ.

The answer is maybe they can't replace him. But that's the price of making previous bad decision that linger on your roster. They'll have to get by without him then. There are just to many variables against resigning him when you factor everything going on AROUND him as a player. It's not just his skill set alone that matters.

martin
USA
3/4/2018  8:24 PM
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Kanter and KOQ

Never mentioned and specific player you like. The draft is not a player. What draft pick you looking at? I'm legit asking.... but you said you don't follow college ball. So you don't know who is out there then right?

My thing is you can't just say the Knicks should do something in the draft but then you don't even know who they should be looking to draft... that's lazy fandom. We're supposed to be on another level in here

It's not lazy fandom, it's called being honest and not just spewing whatever, patting myself on the back and thinking it is informed.

I can list the big men in the top 15 as well as anyone if I just regurgitated NBADraft.net or DraftExpress whatnot. Doesn't add much cause I don't follow any of those college players.

Knicks have a lot of wings and KP. KOQ, Noah, Kater won't be on the team in 2 years if we have a good FO. Hoping the Knicks at BPA in the drafts and get lucky and move to top 3.

Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
3/4/2018  8:42 PM
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:IMO reason KOQ will never be a starter or important big man on a playoff team (even off bench). Same reason I don’t offer him a long term contract (unless it’s at $5m per)

How many guys do we have that right now would get significant minutes on a strong playoff team?! Probably just one injured guy. That's too high a standard for us to have.

I'm obviously talking through the lens of building a team and offering KOQ (or anybody) the next contract.

What are you talking about?

Getting good value where we can
Bonn1997
USA
3/4/2018  8:43 PM
BigRedDog wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

I agree completely. I have been one of his biggest detractors. I just don't think he is any good and so over rated on this site. Terrible defender- can't defend any starting center, can't get out to the 3 pt line, goes for every fake, makes 1-3 illegal screens per game, 1-3 boneheaded plays per game. He never runs hard and just jogs. I see Kanter sprinting down court vs KOQ just jogs and therefore his defender beats him down court for any easy basket.Not sure why he never gets called out for this by Horny. He is a backup, no way can he be a starter. KOQ is fools gold, looks good for moments or a few games but can't do it consistently .Makes some good passes but then makes some terrible passes right to the defender. No way can we give money to a back up center. Much smarter to let him leave and give the minutes to Noah.

All that and he's still holding his man to below average shooting! It must be all that help defense from Jack.

Watch the games and get ur ass out of stats. Many people a lot smarter than me don't trust defensive metrics including SVG."SVG has said repeatedly that he doesn’t trust defensive metrics. One thing I agree with."

FG% is not some kind of advanced metric. If you don't even care what percentage of the shots go in, then why would you watch basketball?
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
3/5/2018  6:00 PM
He was awesome in last night's fourth quarter.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
USA
3/5/2018  6:24 PM
CrushAlot wrote:He was awesome in last night's fourth quarter.

KOQ has his moments. I was happily surprised at his play early this season and thought he had turned a corner.

This is KOQ's 3rd year as a Knicks player and the first year I thought he came into the season in proper shape. I'll give him a sliver of an excuse the first year after his father passed away, but realistically he came in overweight and very out of shape. No excuse for a player to finally get his body right 2 years later, but he is in a contract year.

KOQ makes too many mental mistakes, and the same ones over and over and over again, and he can't seem to break bad habits. If and you me and everyone else can easily see these mistakes on TV you KNOW the coaching staff is riding him about them on a daily basis, and yet little to no change.

KOQ has great strength and super long arms, very good timing down low to make up for lack of vertical burst as a C/PF. In 3 years he has not been able to expand his shooting range, same as it was before he came from Orlando. Still can't understand how a player like him can't figure out how to set a legal pick. Love his passing this year.

The Knicks mostly like won't make playoffs for another 2 years, and by then KOQ will be 31 at that year's end.

He is not long for the Knicks team IMHO

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/5/2018  7:43 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Which would be fine or tolerable IF the Knicks carried a clean cap ( i.e. no bad contracts)

Lance Thomas
Joaquin Noah
Enes Kanter
Courtney Lee
Tim Hardaway Jr

Are all either bad contracts or paid above market for their production/track record.

The Warriors looked at him because of his cost basis against their cap issues. There were very very few matches for the pivot at his current salary scale that wouldn't tip them too badly into the future tax zone.

The Knicks should pass and hope he opts out and good luck to him on his next team.

The team is in a talent deficit situation. Meaning when the draft comes, they'll take the best player available without regard to position unless positional value is a tie breaker against two players they like equally. They could very well take a pivot, and with Kanter just about sure to opt in and Noah being stuck here and Zinger hopefully back by midseason, there could be no functional minutes for KOQ.

The answer is maybe they can't replace him. But that's the price of making previous bad decision that linger on your roster. They'll have to get by without him then. There are just to many variables against resigning him when you factor everything going on AROUND him as a player. It's not just his skill set alone that matters.

I like Wendell Carter from Duke. He could be in our range, depending on what happens to the stock of Trae Young, Sexton etc. It would be a natural fit since he might be the best player available. His ability to shoot, possibly out the NBA 3 with time, and play inside would pair well with KP. I was deadset on the idea of drafting a three or combo forward earlier this season, but KP's injury changed things. But, TripleThreat is right in this regard. We need to go BPA available. The center position was a position of strength early this season, but that's gone down the wayside.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Bonn1997
USA
3/6/2018  11:17 AM
martin wrote:

KOQ has his moments. I was happily surprised at his play early this season and thought he had turned a corner.

This is KOQ's 3rd year as a Knicks player and the first year I thought he came into the season in proper shape. I'll give him a sliver of an excuse the first year after his father passed away, but realistically he came in overweight and very out of shape. No excuse for a player to finally get his body right 2 years later, but he is in a contract year.

KOQ makes too many mental mistakes, and the same ones over and over and over again, and he can't seem to break bad habits. If and you me and everyone else can easily see these mistakes on TV you KNOW the coaching staff is riding him about them on a daily basis, and yet little to no change.

KOQ has great strength and super long arms, very good timing down low to make up for lack of vertical burst as a C/PF. In 3 years he has not been able to expand his shooting range, same as it was before he came from Orlando. Still can't understand how a player like him can't figure out how to set a legal pick. Love his passing this year.

The Knicks mostly like won't make playoffs for another 2 years, and by then KOQ will be 31 at that year's end.

He does not do any harm either. If you can get him cheap, he is a good role player and trade asset. Although I'd rather keep him, if they weren't going to re-sign him they should have traded him.
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

3/6/2018  11:27 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

Lance Thomas
Joaquin Noah
Enes Kanter
Courtney Lee
Tim Hardaway Jr

Good post. This is how players should be viewed. Not based on how many points they score. But based on what value they being compared to other players in their pay range. Comparing people who make 25M a year to those on a rookie contract to justify why there former is in a shooting slump is exactly what's wrong with a lot of NBA fans. People who make Marc contracts need to impact every game they play - that should be table stakes, not something to argue over after each game.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
martin
USA
3/6/2018  12:07 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:

He does not do any harm either. If you can get him cheap, he is a good role player and trade asset. Although I'd rather keep him, if they weren't going to re-sign him they should have traded him.

what price?

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/6/2018  12:12 PM
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:

what price?

they couldnt trade him at $4mm expiring, how are they trading him for more money, older and with more years? Makes no sense. KOQ is not good. He's really good sometimes, really bad others, and the really bad usually against quality opponents.

I like him, good locker room guy and bench player. Not someone you resign to a rebuilding team going to the lottery. How many wins is KOQ adding?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
USA
3/6/2018  12:13 PM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:

what price?

they couldnt trade him at $4mm expiring, how are they trading him for more money, older and with more years? Makes no sense. KOQ is not good. He's really good sometimes, really bad others, and the really bad usually against quality opponents.

I like him, good locker room guy and bench player. Not someone you resign to a rebuilding team going to the lottery. How many wins is KOQ adding?

yeah, same

Bonn1997
USA
3/6/2018  1:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/6/2018  1:19 PM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:

what price?

$5 or 6 mil a year? Otherwise, you're probably get an inferior player/worse trade asset at that price anyway. Who said they couldn't trade him?
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/6/2018  1:22 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:

what price?

$5 or 6 mil a year? Otherwise, you're probably get an inferior player/worse trade asset at that price anyway.
right so you are only signing him if he whiffs at free agency, and then you are only giving him token short term salary with an eye to trade him later.

Ill ask again... why bother? Just move on and get a guy worth developing. Leave the roster spot for a prospect.

Do we care if playing KOQ over say Kornet gets us from 30 wins to 33 wins? Just keep the slot open see if you can develop a guy who fits into the long term plans

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
KOQ in a nutshell

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy