Westchester Knick stuff
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
3/2/2018  11:38 AM
Saw this on the home page.
https://dailyknicks.com/2018/03/02/new-york-knicks-time-give-g-league-standouts-a-chance/
Earlier in the week the guy that covers the Raptors G league squad wrote about Hayes and XRM.
Knicks notes: Nigel Hayes and Xavier Rathan-Mayes are both close to being NBA players. Hayes had 27-and-8 while Rathan-Mayes shot poorly but flirted with a triple-double, finishing with 13-8-11…I’ve seen enough of Luke Kornet for one year.

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2018/02/24/raptors-905-lose-nail-biter-knicks/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/2/2018  11:40 AM
Thanks.

Small sample size but pretty impressive

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/2/2018  11:49 AM
martin wrote:Thanks.

Big enough to see that the G-League was good for Burke.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/2/2018  12:04 PM

Yeah, those shooting percentages won't stay that high for the remainder of the season. That said,he's shown great improvement scoring in the paint. He was well below average earlier in his career. I thought DJ Augustine was his ceiling and it looks like that's the type of player he will be. As long as he's scoring he will have value. His defense hasn't been a major surprise. He's shown effort in the past. It's the size issue that hurts him. Kudos to him for putting in the work.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/2/2018  12:07 PM
Burke was blue chip lotto pick, played in the NBA.
So its not like he "developed". He "recovered" from injury and "refined" his game some.
Hayes got the attention of the Lakers for a call up. I see him as a SF, but Troy Williams got the call first.
Why?
As for "XRM", we a bit full of guards at the moment. Its good he is getting minutes and doing well in the G.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/2/2018  12:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/2/2018  12:36 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

My only reservation would be quantifying if it was the G-league or the fact that Burke was a lottery talent headed into his 5th year. Could be a combination of both though. Could be the maturity that allowed him to be willing to sign to a team to play for the G-league is a maturity that would make him successful regardless. We would need to know what exact skills did Burke develop in the G-league to get a full understanding on what made him better.

In order to really test the G-league. Guys like Nigel Hayes and Xavier Rathan-Mayes are better overall test subjects. They were undrafted and have strictly been G-league players for us. If they develop their games to be NBA rotational players eventually. Then I would be sold on the G-league.

But at the same time they are both 23 yrs old and were seniors in college. So that also could play a part. College senior, one-two yrs of G league and become contributors at like 25. They wouldn't get burn at an NBA club their first 2 yrs so its a better alternative for them.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BigDaddyG

3/2/2018  12:41 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

My only reservation would be quantifying if it was the G-league or the fact that Burke was a lottery talent headed into his 5th year. Could be a combination of both though. Could be the maturity that allowed him to be willing to sign to a team to play for the G-league is a maturity that would make him successful regardless. We would need to know what exact skills did Burke develop in the G-league to get a full understanding on what made him better.

In order to really test the G-league. Guys like Nigel Hayes and Xavier Rathan-Mayes are better overall test subjects. They were undrafted and have strictly been G-league players for us. If they develop their games to be NBA rotational players eventually. Then I would be sold on the G-league.

But at the same time they are both 23 yrs old and were seniors in college. So that also could play a part. College senior, one-two yrs of G league and become contributors at like 25. They wouldn't get burn at an NBA club their first 2 yrs so its a better alternative for them.

Yeah, in this case, I think the biggest impact the G-League had for Burke is that it kept him sharp. Hard to tell if there was much development since he was dominant against far lesser competition from the start. I have a feeling that most, if not all, of Burke's improvements came from work in the off-season.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler

3/2/2018  12:53 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Yeah, in this case, I think the biggest impact the G-League had for Burke is that it kept him sharp. Hard to tell if there was much development since he was dominant against far lesser competition from the start. I have a feeling that most, if not all, of Burke's improvements came from work in the off-season.

Burke said he went to the G-League in part to learn to be a better distributor, floor general. Sure has been playing like one at times this season

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/2/2018  1:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/2/2018  1:15 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Burke said he went to the G-League in part to learn to be a better distributor, floor general. Sure has been playing like one at times this season

So you could say he developed being more of a floor general by using the G-league to focus on that ability. That may be exactly what happen. At the same time he had 4 yrs NBA experience prior. How much did NBA training build up his body to be more a equipped NBA player? He is way more shredded today then he was his rookie yr. If he played in the G-league his first few yrs instead of the NBA? Would he have been able to come to those conclusions on what he needed to improve on to stick in the NBA?

He may have needed the NBA to realize his flaws to the point that he may be out of the league if not improve upon as well as how to prepare physically. And he may have needed the G-league to get the reps to work at it without worrying about a coach pulling him trying to win games.

Just making discussion on an interesting topic.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler

3/2/2018  1:40 PM
O
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

So you could say he developed being more of a floor general by using the G-league to focus on that ability. That may be exactly what happen. At the same time he had 4 yrs NBA experience prior. How much did NBA training build up his body to be more a equipped NBA player? He is way more shredded today then he was his rookie yr. If he played in the G-league his first few yrs instead of the NBA? Would he have been able to come to those conclusions on what he needed to improve on to stick in the NBA?

He may have needed the NBA to realize his flaws to the point that he may be out of the league if not improve upon as well as how to prepare physically. And he may have needed the G-league to get the reps to work at it without worrying about a coach pulling him trying to win games.

Just making discussion on an interesting topic.

Not going to try to quantify exactly how much G-League helped Burke, but I believe its safe to say that it did.

As you pointed out, it might have been as simple as extended PT to work on an area of his game that he felt was preventing him from rising to the next level.
That and some coaching as well.

They're suppposed to be running more or less the same system as the main Knicks are running. Gave Burke the best of both worlds.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/2/2018  1:40 PM
Burke needed to also get his speed back after achiles injury?
Whats good for one player is not generic to all Gleague players!
The games and talent levels are not the same.
The famous THjr quote that "Gleague helped me", well whats he suppose to say:
"PHuch that Shyt, bus travel and bad food! Woke my ass up good, damn, I worked my ass off as that was humiliating!"
Willy would have no part of it. Maybe if he got schooled down there was no coming back?
FYI, Travis Wear got a call up to the Lakers!
reub
Member: #6227

3/2/2018  3:33 PM
We should sign Nigel Hayes.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/2/2018  4:15 PM
reub wrote:We should sign Nigel Hayes.

Seems like the Knicks could petition for a roster spot with both KP and Baker out for the remainder of the season.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG

3/2/2018  4:39 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Seems like the Knicks could petition for a roster spot with both KP and Baker out for the remainder of the season.

Not sure on this, but I think you need four players out long-term to be eligible for the extra roster spot.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/2/2018  5:07 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Not sure on this, but I think you need four players out long-term to be eligible for the extra roster spot.

Hmm, never heard anything like 4, thought you could get exceptions per player

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
reub

3/2/2018  5:48 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Isn't there a deadline for doing this? I'd release Jack to sign Hayes if I had to. His three point shooting and length are worth taking a chance on.

BigDaddyG

3/2/2018  5:56 PM
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I know you can get the salary exemption per player injury. I think we missed the deadline for this season. But I'm not clear on the details of what's needed to meet the conditions of an emergency roster spot. I read on a Sacramento Kings blog that you might need to meet a threshold of four players with long-term injuries.
BigDaddyG

3/2/2018  6:23 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I know you can get the salary exemption per player injury. I think we missed the deadline for this season. But I'm not clear on the details of what's needed to meet the conditions of an emergency roster spot. I read on a Sacramento Kings blog that you might need to meet a threshold of four players with long-term injuries.

Here's another article that explains the Heat's situation in regard to roster size. Of course it's from last season, but o think the conditions still hold.
http://heatzone.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/01/15/miami-heat-guard-josh-richardson-now-listed-as-week-to-week/
In order for Miami to add a 16th player to the roster, an NBA doctor had to confirm that four total players would miss an additional two weeks after sitting out at least three consecutive games. Richardson’s injury would fulfill that requirement with Chris Bosh (blood clots), Josh McRoberts (foot) and Justise Winslow (shoulder) all expected to miss the rest of the season.
reub

3/4/2018  6:24 PM
Nigel Hayes went off again last night. He now has 12 made threes in his last 2 games, averaging over 30 points. He's long and rangy with the ability to guard the perimeter, pass or block a shot. Let's sign this kid. http://gleague.nba.com/games/20180304/WESLAK/
Westchester Knick stuff

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy