[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Frank is not a point guard, why does that hurt you?
Author Thread
nykshaknbake
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #492
2/28/2018  4:58 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
TLover wrote:Regarding what I said previously.. trading Frank to get rid of Noah would make sense bc we do have 2 promising point guards in Mudiay & Burke and that Frank was drafted by Phil Jackson to be a triangle point guard. Frank will be a solid 3 & D shooting guard which is fine but we already have C.Lee for that. An easy player to find in this league. Our best hope is that Frank grows 3-4 inches and puts on 20lbs of muscle and becomes a 3.. then we’re talking. Frank & Burke do make a good combo though but then what about Hardaway who should not be playing the 3.

Frank was not drafted by this braintrust.. nor was signing Noah.. clean up the mess Phil made and move on. 2019 go for Klay Thomason who we can only wish Frank will become.

Have we not attempted that line of thinking over and over and over and over again for the last 20 yrs? Have the results from this line of thinking not been poor to say the least? If Knicks want to win they have to change the culture. And the #1 priority in a needed culture change imo is being willing to stick with and develop their draft picks. And have the process in place to be able to find and make use of the Trey Burkes and Mudiays and Troy Williams etc.

Yes. Plus why trade when his value is the lowest it can be. Better to take the good odds his game and value will improve than cash in at a big loss now.

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/28/2018  8:14 PM
nykshaknbake wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
TLover wrote:Regarding what I said previously.. trading Frank to get rid of Noah would make sense bc we do have 2 promising point guards in Mudiay & Burke and that Frank was drafted by Phil Jackson to be a triangle point guard. Frank will be a solid 3 & D shooting guard which is fine but we already have C.Lee for that. An easy player to find in this league. Our best hope is that Frank grows 3-4 inches and puts on 20lbs of muscle and becomes a 3.. then we’re talking. Frank & Burke do make a good combo though but then what about Hardaway who should not be playing the 3.

Frank was not drafted by this braintrust.. nor was signing Noah.. clean up the mess Phil made and move on. 2019 go for Klay Thomason who we can only wish Frank will become.

Have we not attempted that line of thinking over and over and over and over again for the last 20 yrs? Have the results from this line of thinking not been poor to say the least? If Knicks want to win they have to change the culture. And the #1 priority in a needed culture change imo is being willing to stick with and develop their draft picks. And have the process in place to be able to find and make use of the Trey Burkes and Mudiays and Troy Williams etc.

Yes. Plus why trade when his value is the lowest it can be. Better to take the good odds his game and value will improve than cash in at a big loss now.

Especially to free up money to sign a player who's lukewarm, at best, on the idea of playing here.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
TLover
Member: #381
USA
2/28/2018  10:56 PM
Look if we are making Frank our 2 guard of the future then Hardaway needs to go.
Can’t stand watching Hardaway play the 3. We need a legit SF which hopefully we get in this draft.

Hopefully Frank is still growing in his body. His deliberate release and explosiveness can get better.

Still would rather have Frank over D.SmithJr

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
3/1/2018  11:15 AM
TLover wrote:Look if we are making Frank our 2 guard of the future then Hardaway needs to go.
Can’t stand watching Hardaway play the 3. We need a legit SF which hopefully we get in this draft.

Hopefully Frank is still growing in his body. His deliberate release and explosiveness can get better.

Hardaway contract isn't nearly as bad as Noah, but probably puts his value in negative territory. He's just a streaky chucker. Not exactly a rare player.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/1/2018  11:51 AM
TLover wrote:Look if we are making Frank our 2 guard of the future then Hardaway needs to go.

Hardaway is a 2 who is being asked to play the 3. I could see Frank as the SG of the future, looks like mgmt might be warming to that idea as well. Finally.

Frank isnt ready to start. Would rather bring THJ back next season as the starting 2. Im guessing he will have a good start to the season playing his natural position. Confident Hardaway will put in the necessary work over the summer to get better. Definitely a more mature player this time around.

Doubt we would get a good deal for THJ this offseason. Let Hardaway try to get off to a fast start at the 2 next season and if Timmy is playing well, see if there are any takers. Give Frank more time at the 2 off the bench.

I dont see Mills rubberstamping a trade, Timmy was his baby, so to speak. His first big contract. Both THJ making himself an attractive trade chip, and Frank looking ready to step in as the starting 2 would be ideal.

As far as DSJ, he has been a much more aggressive player than Frank this season, so it stands to reason that it would get uglier in Dallas, Aggressive players take more chances. Thats why Ive been saying all season that I dont care if Frank misses his shots as long as he isnt passing up opportunities.

As a PG, I believe DSJ will be better at that position than Frank. But I could see Frank turning into just as good, if not a better player at the 2.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/1/2018  11:51 AM

If frank ends up being a 2, then hardaway can still be a very good 6th man. 18 mil a year is about the going rate for an elite scoring 6th man on the younger side. Turner, crabbe, Fournier, etc.

blkexec
Member: #748
3/1/2018  12:10 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

Hardaway is a 2 who is being asked to play the 3. I could see Frank as the SG of the future, looks like mgmt might be warming to that idea as well. Finally.

Frank isnt ready to start. Would rather bring THJ back next season as the starting 2. Im guessing he will have a good start to the season playing his natural position. Confident Hardaway will put in the necessary work over the summer to get better. Definitely a more mature player this time around.

Doubt we would get a good deal for THJ this offseason. Let Hardaway try to get off to a fast start at the 2 next season and if Timmy is playing well, see if there are any takers. Give Frank more time at the 2 off the bench.

I dont see Mills rubberstamping a trade, Timmy was his baby, so to speak. His first big contract. Both THJ making himself an attractive trade chip, and Frank looking ready to step in as the starting 2 would be ideal.

As far as DSJ, he has been a much more aggressive player than Frank this season, so it stands to reason that it would get uglier in Dallas, Aggressive players take more chances. Thats why Ive been saying all season that I dont care if Frank misses his shots as long as he isnt passing up opportunities.

As a PG, I believe DSJ will be better at that position than Frank. But I could see Frank turning into just as good, if not a better player at the 2.

DSJ is in a PG body, but he's a SG.

At the moment, Barrera is the PG and DSJ is the SG.

But I agree, and I'm not surprised that DSJ is better right now. He has a major chip on his shoulders and he's getting starter minutes.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/1/2018  12:40 PM
blkexec wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

But I agree, and I'm not surprised that DSJ is better right now. He has a major chip on his shoulders and he's getting starter minutes.

DSJ might have an SG body, but he played and excelled as a PG in college. Has put together enough big games at PG his rookie season to show he can play the position well.

Frank has been mostly an SG. DSJ has earned starter minutes. If he had played the way Frank has this season, without enough aggression, he probably would have been buried on the bench in Dallas.

If anyone was going to hit that rookie wall at starting PG, it was Smith jr. Was given a lot more.responsibility early on. A lot more pressure from a very demanding coach.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/1/2018  1:01 PM
Im not ready to label anyone a 1-2-or 3. Im also fine for Mundiay to start and Frank both play with him and back him up even next season. Lots of minutes for three guards!
Who finish's? That's for next season.
For all our threads, its their play that will answer the questions going forward!
Curious if Frank has another growth spurt in him (he looks young). Also I expect he'll bulk up as he matures. Im sure his frame and what his physique could be factored into his scouting.
As for THjr, Im curious as the knicks roster improves, does his game also? I've read players when surrounded by quality tend to rise up. So why not THjr?
Ive seen some impressive things from him, and often he over does things which gets him in trouble. I see him as a work in progress as well.
His salary? He is paid like an average Sg and we had to overpay to get him. Some nights we see the potential. Some nights we see what he lacks.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
3/1/2018  1:02 PM
at 19, he is doing well. HE is showing that he has great D, a nice shot, sees the court well and knows the game. MY guess is that in 2 years he will be a very good player and part of the the core for the team.
blkexec
Member: #748
3/1/2018  2:14 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
blkexec wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

DSJ might have an SG body, but he played and excelled as a PG in college. Has put together enough big games at PG his rookie season to show he can play the position well.

Frank has been mostly an SG. DSJ has earned starter minutes. If he had played the way Frank has this season, without enough aggression, he probably would have been buried on the bench in Dallas.

If anyone was going to hit that rookie wall at starting PG, it was Smith jr. Was given a lot more.responsibility early on. A lot more pressure from a very demanding coach.

DSJ is a bad comparison to Frank.

DSJ has been labeled as the next DRose....The #1 potential pick. Top HS player. So he came into the league with a lot of hype. Being told you are the top pick......Playing at a high level. It's natural for DSJ to play better, because he's comparing himself to the #1 pick.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

3/1/2018  2:19 PM
EnySpree wrote:I been saying that in every post but somehow I'm emotional. The emotion comes out in the responses I'm getting not me. Guys are attacking me over this and it's pathetic. I can say he sucks but he can get better. I can say that. Where's the emotion? I also can say yo I like the way he looks off the ball maybe he should stick too that. Is that emotional too? I just feel like I'm in a sunken place talking to robots.

You post irresponsibly and you devalue the site and the forum when you do it.

If people have different opinions, they have different opinions. I'll post if I disagree with someone and have a different point to make, I don't however tell anyone to not post their viewpoints.

You post trades that are often illegal. Meaning you don't even bother to run them through the NBA Trade Machine or even check the salary cap tables to see if they could be legal.

You use post thread titles that are often misleading or give the impression of news flashes that don't actually exist. If there are relevant issues like a link to the topic you are posting to give it even some glimpse of context, you don't even bother to post that up.

You don't bother to even search the basic terms of the NBA CBA ( I'm not talking deep dive stuff but just very basic things like roster size and rules of usage) and post things that aren't actually true to how the NBA operates. There are things you could check with a 20 second Google search but you've openly said you don't give a Sh*t.

You post volume, which creates discussion, but you also treat this place like a toilet. You take a dump, then walk away and don't flush.

Honestly dude, it's not that hard. Post links when relevant. Spell check before you post. Run your trade ideas through the actual NBA Trade Machine first. Google simple things you aren't sure about so you don't post misleading things on the forum ( not because you didn't understand a concept, but because you just don't care)

You'll get defensive, that's your way. But now you can't say you were never told.

Courtesy is given. Respect is earned. If you want less push back, then you have to actually operate with some very minimal social grace. Telling you this is like trying to explain to someone why they should wash their hands after taking a dump. There is **** on your fingers. Use soap and water. Does that actually need to be articulated to another adult? I guess it does.

Stop being such a prick on the forums. Wash your hands, Fonzi.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/1/2018  3:30 PM
blkexec wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Except frank has been better than Smith so far. Bigger impact overall. Smith is a negative on both sides of the ball at this point.
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
3/1/2018  3:46 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
EnySpree wrote:I been saying that in every post but somehow I'm emotional. The emotion comes out in the responses I'm getting not me. Guys are attacking me over this and it's pathetic. I can say he sucks but he can get better. I can say that. Where's the emotion? I also can say yo I like the way he looks off the ball maybe he should stick too that. Is that emotional too? I just feel like I'm in a sunken place talking to robots.

You post irresponsibly and you devalue the site and the forum when you do it.

If people have different opinions, they have different opinions. I'll post if I disagree with someone and have a different point to make, I don't however tell anyone to not post their viewpoints.

You post trades that are often illegal. Meaning you don't even bother to run them through the NBA Trade Machine or even check the salary cap tables to see if they could be legal.

You use post thread titles that are often misleading or give the impression of news flashes that don't actually exist. If there are relevant issues like a link to the topic you are posting to give it even some glimpse of context, you don't even bother to post that up.

You don't bother to even search the basic terms of the NBA CBA ( I'm not talking deep dive stuff but just very basic things like roster size and rules of usage) and post things that aren't actually true to how the NBA operates. There are things you could check with a 20 second Google search but you've openly said you don't give a Sh*t.

You post volume, which creates discussion, but you also treat this place like a toilet. You take a dump, then walk away and don't flush.

Honestly dude, it's not that hard. Post links when relevant. Spell check before you post. Run your trade ideas through the actual NBA Trade Machine first. Google simple things you aren't sure about so you don't post misleading things on the forum ( not because you didn't understand a concept, but because you just don't care)

You'll get defensive, that's your way. But now you can't say you were never told.

Courtesy is given. Respect is earned. If you want less push back, then you have to actually operate with some very minimal social grace. Telling you this is like trying to explain to someone why they should wash their hands after taking a dump. There is **** on your fingers. Use soap and water. Does that actually need to be articulated to another adult? I guess it does.

Stop being such a prick on the forums. Wash your hands, Fonzi.

Thanks for demonstrating patience and forebearance. It’s considerably more than I could muster. I’m pleased that you articulated what I assume many others felt yet in this instance I speak only for myself.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
3/1/2018  3:52 PM
Unless Frank amps up his scoring game and finishing game - to... let's say... Courtney Lee's current level, I don't think he's a top-15 starting wing, or maybe not even a starting anything - at least not a good one. For him to be really valuable in the league, he needs to amp up his game.

There are a number of no O+D wings like Roberson, Shumpert. They're inept at offense.

Then there are players just a little bit better - some come to mind like Shane Battier, Tayshaun Prince. I saw both of then as legit wing starters, even though they didn't have a consistent punch offensively. They didn't make mistakes, played D, and made the right plays on offense (though not the creative ones).

I guess it's okay if he turns out to be a rotation guy who's worthy of 25mpg - if that's what he is he could have a 10-15 year NBA career. Few players picked after him are lighting it up - though Mitchell and DSJr have a shot to be really good players.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/1/2018  3:57 PM
Knixkik wrote:
blkexec wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Except frank has been better than Smith so far. Bigger impact overall. Smith is a negative on both sides of the ball at this point.

Frank wasn't expected to light it up in his rookie year. It was widely known he was raw offensively. They didn't draft him for how he'd look in his rookie year. From here on Frank knows what he has to focus on to improve and he's going to have better training and Coaching to help him get there. He didn't have as much time to prepare for this season as many of the other Rookies did. Hopefully he can have a much longer period of time to devote to skills and his body.
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

3/1/2018  4:20 PM

TLover wrote:Regarding what I said previously.. trading Frank to get rid of Noah would make sense bc we do have 2 promising point guards in Mudiay & Burke and that Frank was drafted by Phil Jackson to be a triangle point guard. Frank will be a solid 3 & D shooting guard which is fine but we already have C.Lee for that. An easy player to find in this league.....

A cost controlled 3 And D wing who can legitimately defend the perimeter and has the potential to guard four positions at an elite level (i.e. position less basketball) is probably the most valuable thing in the entire league. Solid wing play has the highest positional value in all of the NBA right now.

With the advent of the "attack guard", the way the refs massage games for the ratings/narrative and the lack of the ability to hand check, that any team could have a cost controlled with the ceiling to be an elite defender wing and would want to trade him is insane.

You find defenders and hope their offense comes around. You keep going for gunner, rarely will that good defense ever develop.

Trading Ntilikina now is insane. Completely insane.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/1/2018  5:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/1/2018  5:12 PM
Knixkik wrote:

If frank ends up being a 2, then hardaway can still be a very good 6th man. 18 mil a year is about the going rate for an elite scoring 6th man on the younger side. Turner, crabbe, Fournier, etc.

Even if Frank becomes starter level 2 guard. He is under a rookie contract. Having a starter level SG on a rookie deal backing up another SG is a pretty good situation to have. Franks rookie deal will run out the same time as Hardaway's as well. It's also possible 2 yrs later if Frank develops towards this level. Packaging Hardaway with a pick for a stud at another position would become a possibility.

Not sure if he has a NTC though. But a prime Thjr and a pick could hold some real nice value.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
3/1/2018  5:41 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Even if Frank becomes starter level 2 guard. He is under a rookie contract. Having a starter level SG on a rookie deal backing up another SG is a pretty good situation to have. Franks rookie deal will run out the same time as Hardaway's as well. It's also possible 2 yrs later if Frank develops towards this level. Packaging Hardaway with a pick for a stud at another position would become a possibility.

Not sure if he has a NTC though. But a prime Thjr and a pick could hold some real nice value.

Knicks are currently picking 9th and neither of the Bridges do it for me. Colin Sexton perhaps.
Yet there is some great talent out there 1-6. Think: say we package THJr and 2019 first for # 5
And pick up Porter or Bagley or Doncic. We keep our 9 and secure a 5. Dreaming? Probably but if we are committed to build, then build. I’d take Bamba and Sexton. With the money comin Off the books w Noah Lee and Tim we would could secure a bona Fide 3.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/1/2018  6:43 PM
Paris907 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Knicks are currently picking 9th and neither of the Bridges do it for me. Colin Sexton perhaps.
Yet there is some great talent out there 1-6. Think: say we package THJr and 2019 first for # 5
And pick up Porter or Bagley or Doncic. We keep our 9 and secure a 5. Dreaming? Probably but if we are committed to build, then build. I’d take Bamba and Sexton. With the money comin Off the books w Noah Lee and Tim we would could secure a bona Fide 3.

I might settle on Wendell if he's the best player on our slot. He fits a need in the event KOQ leaves, short term and long-term. There are couple of guys like Chandler I like, so trading down might be an option. Don't want to trade a pick, except for maybe Doncic and Ayton. But I don't think THJ and s 2019 gets in done. THJ and his salary makes no sense for the teams projected to draft in those slots.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Frank is not a point guard, why does that hurt you?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy