[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Frank is not a point guard, why does that hurt you?
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
2/26/2018  5:18 PM
EnySpree wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
TLover wrote:If Knicks can use Ntlikina to rid the contract of Noah then I’d say trade him. Basically what lakers did with D. Russell.

Thank god they would never even consider it

with Mudiay and Burke looking promising, I certainly wouldn't be surprise.

That's what i can't get my head around... if Burke wins the starting spot and Mudiay is playing well too, we still want Frank to be the guy? I don't get it... if Burke gave us 20 and 6 for the rest of the season with Mudiay giving us solid numbers, I'm not thinking thats cool but Frank needs to play more to develop him lol... I'm think **** we got two good point guards right now. Frank is playing well off the ball because of these guys. We might finally found how Frank can be successful for the team and get better.... but no the narrative is still Frank needs to play minutes at point guard? That's the end all?

That's one of the attributes to Franks future potential. Is that he could possibly play with both of them in a 3 guard lineup guarding the 3 and not get destroyed in certain matchups. Imagine ideally having Burke at PG and Mudiay at SG and Frank at SF for a 3 guard lineup. All capable at Interchanging at PG and handling the rock and playmaking. Going after whoever has the best matchup.

Just because it isn't happening this possible moment doesn't mean it isn't something that could be developed.

Mudiay also has a 3 yr head start on Frank. In 3 yrs there is no guarantee that Mudiay stays the better player. We have Frank under a rookie contract for the next 4 yrs. Unless for example Klay Thompson says he is signing with the Knicks and need us to clear cap space for him. Then you move Frank with Noah because you have a sure thing lined up. You don't clear cap space selling assets in HOPE that we sign a big time FA. Isn't that how Walsh messed up.

Read the bold.... I did say earlier that we could potentially experiment with all three. I believe is the first post!

And I never said I wanted to trade or give up on the kid.

This is the research paper I'm writing... why is everyone so mad at me and telling me I'm emotional. Why are people explaining to me stuff I'm already saying. I'm starting to believe this is a signed website and you guys are all bots.

I'm responding to the we have better options so we should consider moving Frank. The we should package Frank with Noah to free up cap space comments. And the comments about how fans get upset over that notion of packaging Noah with Frank to clear cap space.

I'm stating cases why we shouldn't take that route. Or the scenarios that need to happen for us to take that route.

You can in turn make a case on why we should take this route. And why you believe it would benefit the Knicks in the long haul.

PS: Johnny 5 IS ALIVE!!

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
2/26/2018  5:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/26/2018  5:53 PM
Just for reference:

By Eddie Sefko , Staff Writer
Contact Eddie Sefkoon Twitter:@ESefko
Dennis Smith Jr. wants to make one thing perfectly clear.

"I've been playing point guard for my whole life," he said.

Until now.

Rick Carlisle, who knows a thing or two about coaching, has tinkered with the lineup to get J.J. Barea starting at point guard and have Smith as the shooting guard.

Smith clearly has struggled in the two games since the All-Star break while starting alongside Barea.

The numbers on the 0-2 road trip against the Lakers and Jazz were not pretty.

Smith averaged 10 points, 2.5 assists, 5.5 rebounds and 4 turnovers in the two games. He also shot 7-for-27 from the floor and 1-for-10 from 3-point range.

Worse, the Mavericks were minus-47 in his 53 minutes on the floor in the two games. His streak of 23 consecutive games scoring in double figures ended in Utah.

Two games is a frightfully small sample size. But it's clear that Smith is a little confused by the situation.

"Everybody's saying I'm the point guard of the future -- I'm playing the two though," he said. "You know what I'm saying? I just got to keep working and learning."

The Mavericks drafted Smith with the intention that he's going to be their point guard for years to come.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2018/02/25/dennis-smith-jr-played-point-guard-whole-life-used-shooting-guard
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/26/2018  6:03 PM
nixluva wrote:Just for reference:

Until now.

Rick Carlisle, who knows a thing or two about coaching, has tinkered with the lineup to get J.J. Barea starting at point guard and have Smith as the shooting guard.

Smith clearly has struggled in the two games since the All-Star break while starting alongside Barea.

Smith averaged 10 points, 2.5 assists, 5.5 rebounds and 4 turnovers in the two games. He also shot 7-for-27 from the floor and 1-for-10 from 3-point range.

Worse, the Mavericks were minus-47 in his 53 minutes on the floor in the two games. His streak of 23 consecutive games scoring in double figures ended in Utah.

Two games is a frightfully small sample size. But it's clear that Smith is a little confused by the situation.

"Everybody's saying I'm the point guard of the future -- I'm playing the two though," he said. "You know what I'm saying? I just got to keep working and learning."

The Mavericks drafted Smith with the intention that he's going to be their point guard for years to come.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2018/02/25/dennis-smith-jr-played-point-guard-whole-life-used-shooting-guard

We obviously missed on Mitchell, but i never want to hear people say that we missed on Smith. Right now Smith seems like the empty stats type. He has no impact on the defensive end, and is inefficient on the offensive end. I am also concerned about his attitude. But his dunks and flashy play is appealing to the casual fan, but i am not impressed so far with his season. Frank is having a bigger impact in my opinion.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/26/2018  6:30 PM
Knixkik wrote:

Until now.

We obviously missed on Mitchell, but i never want to hear people say that we missed on Smith. Right now Smith seems like the empty stats type. He has no impact on the defensive end, and is inefficient on the offensive end. I am also concerned about his attitude. But his dunks and flashy play is appealing to the casual fan, but i am not impressed so far with his season. Frank is having a bigger impact in my opinion.

He is playing for Rick Carlisle. Attitude problems aren't tolerated. See Noel and Rondo.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
2/26/2018  7:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/26/2018  7:16 PM
Knixkik wrote:

Until now.

I don’t look at it as missing on Donovan Mitchell. DM is 21 and wasn’t even draft worthy at 19!!! He’s kind of put it all together after his NCAA season so most teams didn’t quite trust him. That happens. I use the example of DM as a reason why you can’t get too down on kids early on. DM was not even a thought at 19 but look how much he’s developed in the following years! That’s possible for any of these kids like Frank, Fox, DSJ or Monk. None of them are lighting it up as rookies.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/26/2018  7:30 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
TLover wrote:If Knicks can use Ntlikina to rid the contract of Noah then I’d say trade him. Basically what lakers did with D. Russell.

That's what i can't get my head around... if Burke wins the starting spot and Mudiay is playing well too, we still want Frank to be the guy? I don't get it... if Burke gave us 20 and 6 for the rest of the season with Mudiay giving us solid numbers, I'm not thinking thats cool but Frank needs to play more to develop him lol... I'm think **** we got two good point guards right now. Frank is playing well off the ball because of these guys. We might finally found how Frank can be successful for the team and get better.... but no the narrative is still Frank needs to play minutes at point guard? That's the end all?

That's one of the attributes to Franks future potential. Is that he could possibly play with both of them in a 3 guard lineup guarding the 3 and not get destroyed in certain matchups. Imagine ideally having Burke at PG and Mudiay at SG and Frank at SF for a 3 guard lineup. All capable at Interchanging at PG and handling the rock and playmaking. Going after whoever has the best matchup.

Just because it isn't happening this possible moment doesn't mean it isn't something that could be developed.

Mudiay also has a 3 yr head start on Frank. In 3 yrs there is no guarantee that Mudiay stays the better player. We have Frank under a rookie contract for the next 4 yrs. Unless for example Klay Thompson says he is signing with the Knicks and need us to clear cap space for him. Then you move Frank with Noah because you have a sure thing lined up. You don't clear cap space selling assets in HOPE that we sign a big time FA. Isn't that how Walsh messed up.

Read the bold.... I did say earlier that we could potentially experiment with all three. I believe is the first post!

This is the research paper I'm writing... why is everyone so mad at me and telling me I'm emotional. Why are people explaining to me stuff I'm already saying. I'm starting to believe this is a signed website and you guys are all bots.

I'm responding to the we have better options so we should consider moving Frank. The we should package Frank with Noah to free up cap space comments. And the comments about how fans get upset over that notion of packaging Noah with Frank to clear cap space.

I'm stating cases why we shouldn't take that route. Or the scenarios that need to happen for us to take that route.

You can in turn make a case on why we should take this route. And why you believe it would benefit the Knicks in the long haul.

PS: Johnny 5 IS ALIVE!!

Someone else suggested that. I said I didn't agree but would do it if we get better. I said that in this very thread. Like I been saying too over and over is that Frank is probably a 2 guard. He played that role well the last two games. So now to me, the fight is between him and Dotson going forward. That would put Lee on the hot seat but that's not urgent right now

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/26/2018  7:34 PM
Knixkik wrote:

Until now.

The Smith debate just defects... Frank is the better prospect. Donavan Mitchell was the steal of the draft along with the Lauri kid on the Bulls.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
newyorknewyork
2/26/2018  8:03 PM
Knixkik wrote:

Until now.

In a side note they, played Smith at the dunk contest.

TLover
Member: #381
USA
2/27/2018  12:23 AM
Regarding what I said previously.. trading Frank to get rid of Noah would make sense bc we do have 2 promising point guards in Mudiay & Burke and that Frank was drafted by Phil Jackson to be a triangle point guard. Frank will be a solid 3 & D shooting guard which is fine but we already have C.Lee for that. An easy player to find in this league. Our best hope is that Frank grows 3-4 inches and puts on 20lbs of muscle and becomes a 3.. then we’re talking. Frank & Burke do make a good combo though but then what about Hardaway who should not be playing the 3.

Frank was not drafted by this braintrust.. nor was signing Noah.. clean up the mess Phil made and move on. 2019 go for Klay Thomason who we can only wish Frank will become.

nixluva
USA
2/27/2018  2:55 AM
TLover wrote:Regarding what I said previously.. trading Frank to get rid of Noah would make sense bc we do have 2 promising point guards in Mudiay & Burke and that Frank was drafted by Phil Jackson to be a triangle point guard. Frank will be a solid 3 & D shooting guard which is fine but we already have C.Lee for that. An easy player to find in this league. Our best hope is that Frank grows 3-4 inches and puts on 20lbs of muscle and becomes a 3.. then we’re talking. Frank & Burke do make a good combo though but then what about Hardaway who should not be playing the 3.

Frank was not drafted by this braintrust.. nor was signing Noah.. clean up the mess Phil made and move on. 2019 go for Klay Thomason who we can only wish Frank will become.

This is not how the Knicks should look at things. Frank has GREATER potential than you’re giving him credit for. Frank was drafted because of his potential as a 2 way player regardless of fit for the Triangle just like KP! This is why PRO SCOUTS are used to judge raw talent. Cuz fans don’t always see the big picture and aren’t good at projecting either. None of the fans doubting Frank’s potential would’ve stood by Donovan Mitchell if we had drafted him at 19!!! But look at him now! That’s how much a player can change in just a couple of years.

The notion that Frank is basically just gonna be CLee is WRONG!!! No one is ever gonna use CLee to make plays. He’s horrible at it. Frank is not horrible at making plays. He’s just young and learning.
The degree to which some Knicks fans are misreading Frank’s potential is astounding. Frank is never going to be a quick twitch little PG or super explosive. He’s got a different game. Gotta start appreciating what he brings and how much upside he still has.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/27/2018  6:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/27/2018  6:52 AM
He looked great last night off the ball. It looks like much of the pressure of running the offense is off him and the kid can just play. Hopefully he can stay consistent at this level the rest of the way. Kid has real nice form on his jump shot but does anyone else see he has a slow release
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
2/27/2018  7:00 AM
Jmpasq wrote:He looked great last night off the ball. It looks like much of the pressure of running the offense is off him and the kid can just play. Hopefully he can stay consistent at this level the rest of the way. Kid has real nice form on his jump shot but does anyone else see he has a slow release

I’ve seen that slow release since I started watching him on film before the draft. It’s an issue because it means getting his own shot will become more challenging.

blkexec
Member: #748
2/27/2018  8:00 AM
Paris907 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:He looked great last night off the ball. It looks like much of the pressure of running the offense is off him and the kid can just play. Hopefully he can stay consistent at this level the rest of the way. Kid has real nice form on his jump shot but does anyone else see he has a slow release

I’ve seen that slow release since I started watching him on film before the draft. It’s an issue because it means getting his own shot will become more challenging.

I don't think it's a problem right now since he's not the focal point and not known as an offensive threat.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/27/2018  8:07 AM
TLover wrote:Regarding what I said previously.. trading Frank to get rid of Noah would make sense bc we do have 2 promising point guards in Mudiay & Burke and that Frank was drafted by Phil Jackson to be a triangle point guard. Frank will be a solid 3 & D shooting guard which is fine but we already have C.Lee for that. An easy player to find in this league. Our best hope is that Frank grows 3-4 inches and puts on 20lbs of muscle and becomes a 3.. then we’re talking. Frank & Burke do make a good combo though but then what about Hardaway who should not be playing the 3.

Can a Triangle PG not play in todays NBA? Is being able to pass and shoot it’s a high IQ somehow not a good thing?
CLee will be retired before Frank hits 23 years old! Frank will improve in all phases of this game, or he will be playing back in Europe.
The future is not Burke and Mudiay. Not that they are a bad thing. More better players is no doubt an improvement. It may not be frank, but I’m not labeling anyone.

TLover
Member: #381
USA
2/27/2018  8:12 AM
Yes, I see the slow release which will be an issue. Combine that with the telegraphing of passes and we have another Dante Exum. Frank will be a solid NBA player for his defense but not what you’re looking for in the #8 pick in the draft. Yes he’s 19 and his mechanics will be refined but I’m afraid his ceiling may be limited.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/27/2018  9:58 AM
TLover wrote:Yes, I see the slow release which will be an issue. Combine that with the telegraphing of passes and we have another Dante Exum. Frank will be a solid NBA player for his defense but not what you’re looking for in the #8 pick in the draft. Yes he’s 19 and his mechanics will be refined but I’m afraid his ceiling may be limited.

Don't be afraid.
Look at the good passes he makes on Pick and Roll's, they are top notch. He is not at the point as much but his work with KOQ was awesome on the pick n's.
The Slow release is in part because of his long arms. Im not saying its the fastest, but dudes with long limbs look slower. Not seeing his jumper get blocked much.
creating his own shot is what he needs work on. His handle in traffic is not polished. The telegraph passes are a few things:
Fatigue? Perhaps in part. He is no doubt instinctively not used to the speed by which NBA players fill the passing lanes. That's why you play him. Remember when he was seen as a fast learner and we were all happy? Its a long season and an even longer career.
I did not see the game last nite as I don't get NBA tv but watching him in other games its apparent he still has not come far enough in three years.
he is the fresh face so we give him lots of leeway, yet Frank's ceiling is "limited" by what we see today.
Frank will have a long offseason to work on his body and his game.
Say what you want about phil but the man still won 11 rings and understands talent. His endorsement is not a bad thing. Perry, Mills and the new crew have yet to make their mark on the draft but Im ok with PHil and Gaines picking Frank.
Every year a player suprises. This year it was Mitchell. It always happens.
Don't feel bad, we drafted Dlee at 30 and Reezy in the second round. WE even had Fields look brilliant for a time!

Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
2/27/2018  12:45 PM
Nalod wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:

Yes, we are all bots. FrankBots, and you are the virus!
Lets go fully conspiracy?

1. Frank is both French and emigrated from Africa. We don't really know basketball, just bleeding heart liberals who love the Statue of Liberty (Gift from france) and always a soft spot for single moms who evacuated horror to raise three kids in France.

2. Tony Parker factor. If you want to be like SAS, then think outside the box. Sometimes brilliance is not obvious. Maybe that Knicks1248 is negative on frank for his reasons, we then think instinctively this is a good move.

3. Wayne Gretzky factor: don't skate to the puck, skate to where the puck will be. Frank is project. You can't see the finished product does not mean its not going to happen.

4. Hope lives! Frank is young, not like Lebron or Mundiay young. Those guys looked like they were 26 years old in High school. Frank has a baby face. I could not face "Bambi" and tell him he sucks.

5. Americans don't like the French! Frank is polite, speaks and dresses well. Secretly he probably smokes cigarettes! If you are with your girl at a party she might walk off with him. He makes $4,000,000. You might walk off with him as well!!!

6. PhilPhobia: Fear anything phil did might be a good thing. They booed KP. He was the right pick. Some wanted Mundiay, Winslow or WIllie Cauley Stein. Some wanted to trade down. Other than Towns, KP was the right pick.

7. Really, your a starphucher!! Can't handle anything in the future not a certain thing and thus OK to pay full retail for established player and hope we can rebuild around them. Rinse, lather, repete. Sequels only. We tried.

8. Don't matter, Mark Jax can fix it all.

9. We should have hired Spurs assistant to POP! That's would be smart!!! (We did, he was our cast off!!)
We should hire Warriors head coach!!! We did, he rejected the gig!
We should hire His assistant! We tried, he is not the Lakers dude.

*slow clap*

Love it!

reub
Member: #6227

2/27/2018  12:54 PM
From another thread:

Klay Thompson wrote:
“He’s got tremendous potential,’’ Thompson said. “Anytime you’re in the NBA at 19, you’re doing something right. He plays the game the right way, he can shoot, he’s still got a lot of growing to do and he’s just going to get better every day.”

newyorknewyork
2/27/2018  1:36 PM

Have we not attempted that line of thinking over and over and over and over again for the last 20 yrs? Have the results from this line of thinking not been poor to say the least? If Knicks want to win they have to change the culture. And the #1 priority in a needed culture change imo is being willing to stick with and develop their draft picks. And have the process in place to be able to find and make use of the Trey Burkes and Mudiays and Troy Williams etc.

newyorknewyork
2/27/2018  1:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/27/2018  1:45 PM
Based on our history. What leads you to believe that we can clear cap space by packaging them with assets leading to a Klay Thompson or Kwhai Lenoard signing here as a FA? If we want to attack FA's then we need to build up a talent base of young talented players who are on rookie and first max contract type contracts. We need to be able to plug in depth with talent that we have the culture in place to develop so that we don't have to overspend for every position. And actually have players out playing their contracts.

Trading away a prospect like Frank to dump Noahs contract is the opposite of that culture. Is the opposite of level we need to be at in order to actually become a team that compete for finals appearances.

Now again if Klay makes up his mind and says he wants to team up with Kwahi in NY to play with KP. Then having that secured. You make the nessesary maneuvers.

Frank is not a point guard, why does that hurt you?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy