Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/16/2018  2:26 PM
Chandler wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:for a 5 year 70mm$ contract? 14 per? Would give us an additional 4.7mm to spend and give Enes long term security --say a no trade contract first two years

I like Kanter, but whats the point of locking up a back up center that cant play defense for 5 years. You feel there are not many of those in the NBA?

The lack of defense thing is ridiculous--hes more than fine.

Do you watch Knicks games? I can't believe that you would be fine with Kanter's defense.

I'd like to see the Knicks build a deep playoff team. If you think Kanter's defense is good enough in that context than I'd say your instincts are absolutely wrong.

If you are good with a borderline and 1 and out playoff team, have at it with Kanter.

It's maddening. he shows agility around the hoop with the ball in his hands. But on D he has a tough time even getting in the way. How is it Marc Gasol can play good D, and we can't get half of that from Enes

If he could put something together on the D end, he'd be a real contributor

Right now, he's just a nice synergy piece on the one end of the floor

BBIQ. On the defensive side of things. Same with Amare, same with a lot of dudes.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
2/16/2018  2:27 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:His opposing man is shooting 52%!

Stats! Show me one stat and then....?

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
2/16/2018  2:36 PM
martin wrote:

Stats! Show me one stat and then....?

He is shooting 60% on his defenders.
So he is not the worst...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

2/16/2018  5:05 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:for a 5 year 70mm$ contract? 14 per? Would give us an additional 4.7mm to spend and give Enes long term security --say a no trade contract first two years

I like Kanter, but whats the point of locking up a back up center that cant play defense for 5 years. You feel there are not many of those in the NBA?

Ask Billy Donovan. More than fine would not put you on the bench for most of a playoff series.
And again, I like him, but seems like a handcuff move to sign him for 5 years?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/16/2018  5:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/16/2018  5:09 PM
franco12 wrote:The only problem I have with giving Kanter that kind of money is I want KP to be our center, and for us to find a PF like Kanter with a bit more mobility.

That said - if he would sign that deal, then you figure next year there is no KP, he's your center. And then maybe 1-2 more years after that for KP to better mature to play center - and his last two years as a back up c @ $14M would probably not be hard to move in a deal if you wanted to.

I don't think they settle, but hey there is a correction coming in basketball just like in baseball.

My other caveat is looking ahead to when we have to sign KP long term, what our cap number looks like then, and whether this deal eliminates flexibility.

Good point. Think KP at the 5, if he can stay out of foul trouble and avoids getting beat up, is a problem for most NBA teams. At least defending him.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/16/2018  6:17 PM
14 mil per is good value. The question is though that there are so many young Bigs that coming out or are available to be had. That you could fill that role with a cheaper option with more long term potential but less short term results. And use that money freed up to fill harder to find needs.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/16/2018  6:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/16/2018  6:48 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
franco12 wrote:The only problem I have with giving Kanter that kind of money is I want KP to be our center, and for us to find a PF like Kanter with a bit more mobility.

That said - if he would sign that deal, then you figure next year there is no KP, he's your center. And then maybe 1-2 more years after that for KP to better mature to play center - and his last two years as a back up c @ $14M would probably not be hard to move in a deal if you wanted to.

I don't think they settle, but hey there is a correction coming in basketball just like in baseball.

My other caveat is looking ahead to when we have to sign KP long term, what our cap number looks like then, and whether this deal eliminates flexibility.

Good point. Think KP at the 5, if he can stay out of foul trouble and avoids getting beat up, is a problem for most NBA teams. At least defending him.

What if we draft Jaren Jackson Jr or Wendell Carter Jr? There are 2 guys in the 5-10 draft range that are sort of positionless big men. Both can shoot, rebound, and defend either position. Sort of makes Porzingis' future position irrelevant if you pair him with a big man like this. Or maybe Kanter really improves defensively and it's a non-factor. But the draft is going to tell us a lot about the future of Kanter. If Perry sees someone like Hezonja as a likely free agent signee for SF (he was part of the front office that drafted him) and wants to prioritize a better fit next to Porzingis in the draft, there will be option available for sure.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
2/17/2018  2:29 PM
http://es.pn/2ohmXRE
Paris907
USA
2/17/2018  2:31 PM
If Big Stretxh Mamba is available we will grab him I pray
martin
USA
2/17/2018  2:35 PM
Paris907 wrote:If Big Stretxh Mamba is available we will grab him I pray

Don't know why but I love the KP/Bamba pairing. Feel like they compliment each other nicely and form an interior tandem that would fortify the Knicks.

Haven't seem much of Bamba but a much more modern/offensive version of Dikembe?

Paris907
USA
2/17/2018  5:50 PM
martin wrote:

Don't know why but I love the KP/Bamba pairing. Feel like they compliment each other nicely and form an interior tandem that would fortify the Knicks.

Ralph Sampson was probably the paradigm 7’4” forward Center who could dribble and pass. I feel we are on the dawn of a new dawn with 4 and 5s. But defensive instincts are inate and Bamba has it. So you are right Martin, the combo is lethal. Bambas athketicism would be mandatory after KP isback from surgery. Then if your interior defense is solid, imagine having three elite defenders who can effectively guard 3 point shooters, Frank being one of them. If we can end up w three elite defenders - then the offense can be sought and found.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/17/2018  7:07 PM
arkrud wrote:
Chandler wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Do you watch Knicks games? I can't believe that you would be fine with Kanter's defense.

I'd like to see the Knicks build a deep playoff team. If you think Kanter's defense is good enough in that context than I'd say your instincts are absolutely wrong.

If you are good with a borderline and 1 and out playoff team, have at it with Kanter.

It's maddening. he shows agility around the hoop with the ball in his hands. But on D he has a tough time even getting in the way. How is it Marc Gasol can play good D, and we can't get half of that from Enes

If he could put something together on the D end, he'd be a real contributor

Right now, he's just a nice synergy piece on the one end of the floor

You cannot ask tiger to eat grass. He just have no idea, no desire, and no tools.
On NBA level there are things that cannot be learned. They can be improved but thats about it.
Kanter is about team priorities.
If team is prioritizing defense he will not be retained.
Except if he agree to hang around for 2 remaining years when the results are not important or rather losing more is preferable.
If anything Kanter can help to lose a lot.

FWIW, tigers prefer meat but do eat grass.
Paris907
USA
2/17/2018  10:41 PM
fishmike wrote:
Paris907 wrote:If you want Kanter keep Kanter but recognize the fact that he’s a 25 min a night rotation player who Billy Donovon sat in the 4th Qtr in the playoffs for all the right reasons b
Is this your first day here? Briggs knows more than Billy Donovan and defense is not that important. He'll be fine.

Here's my take. Kanter can be a nice piece, but you really need 4 other quality defenders out there. KP is one. Frank is not a good NBA player right now. Dotson, Baker, Burke, THjr... I mean you need a group of perimeter guys who can stop penetration because Kanter simply cant help. He can however rebound among the best and scorer as well. He's also not a bad passer and sets a good pick. He can be a useful piece but Im not sure we are close enough to having the pieces that make having him worth it.

Hopefully he opts in so we have more time. He also adds leadership. He plays at a speed and energy level few can match. When they do match it Kanter is pretty bad. In a league full of attacking guards its really tough to give big money to a 5 who doesnt protect the rim. I dont see too many long term scenarios that make sense for the Knicks. Thing can change though and Kanter does bring some things that are hard to ignore.

If you don’t think a new age defensively dominant 5 wouldn’t make a difference then I don’t need to explain it to you. If you want to outscore teams, that will work until elite teams shut you down in the 4th, if not sooner. I’m not discounting the offensive talent of Young or Doncic, yet Kanter effective defensive rating with or without KP is an atrocity. Deny it all you want. In our division alone, we match us pathetically against Embiid and Horford. Hey, it’s not like I don’t see the value in Kanter. I think he’s be an elite 25 minute a night killer rotation player but don’t pay him $18 for the privilege of madator defense

Paris907
USA
2/17/2018  10:43 PM
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

I concur with Martin Briggs. Kanter will brutalize a lot of guys over 82 games on both boards but he will be exposed beyond the 1st round.

Paris907
USA
2/17/2018  11:26 PM
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
2/18/2018  10:40 AM
The real value in today’s NBA is not in the center position but in wings and PG. that is why I wouldn’t even entertain a contract to Kanter. You can get away with below average to average offense at center but you can’t get away from the defensive aspect of the center position. The Knicks would be better off building strong wing pieces rather than paying a ridiculous amount for Kanter.
doomed
Member: #1078
USA
2/19/2018  12:53 PM
No.

NO.

BRIGGS
Member: #303
2/19/2018  1:03 PM

LOL Most big guys do shoot 50% and he shooting 60%--so?
Since KP went down he is avg 19.5 -13.5 2.5 57% thats a stability player. If it wasnt for enes we wouldnt be in these games.

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
Member: #303
2/19/2018  1:06 PM
martin wrote:

Id say Bamba more of a serge Ibaka. Hes very mobile but not super strong. He can guard perimeter guys but I think hed struggle against guys like Howard Kanter etc. Hes got some offensive game and that certainly can develop.

RIP Crushalot😞
Would Kanter give up his 18mm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy