[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Stunned that we couldn't deal Lee and/or KOQ.
Author Thread
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/8/2018  4:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/8/2018  4:31 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Disappointed but hard to say without knowing what was offered. However, with Hood, Namce Jr and Payton traded for not much, seems like they could have done a little better.

Will be harder to take if KO walks after the year. Which i think he will. So anything in return would have been better.

Don't mind keeping Lee. If scraps were being offered. Not like we need cap room yet.

This is true...one of the articles or tweets said we wanted a young athletic player in return...We have no idea who was offered.

I like Lee, though...has become a leader and an efficient player. I was looking forward to seeing Dotson getting more playing time, though, and let's face it...keeping Lee and KOQ makes it harder to tank.

With KP down, I'm not sure we need any help there. Both guys play hard, good role models to have with the team at least. Can reward them with an extra couple rest days to close out the season.

AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/8/2018  4:38 PM
I'm not surprised by Lee - he was a lot of money relative to contract.

KOQ - I like him, and want to keep him long term. I am sorta surprised we didn't get an offer we liked.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/8/2018  4:56 PM
knicks1248 wrote:They may waive quin

dude, really? This is what you are posting and wasting our time with?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/8/2018  5:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/8/2018  5:16 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:

Why would they do that?

Doesn't seem malcontent.

KOQ was hinting on his esp with McDermott... KOQ had a nack for finding the cutting Derm

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

2/8/2018  9:59 PM
EnySpree wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:

Why would they do that?

Doesn't seem malcontent.

KOQ was hinting on his esp with McDermott... KOQ had a nack for finding the cutting Derm

No doubt...Dougie was his favorite target. Jokic would have loved McDermott if he had gone to Denver exactly for the reason KOQ likes him.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/9/2018  5:26 AM
fishmike wrote:yes and no. The problem isnt the desire, its making trades in the CBA. Its tough when you have to match salaries.

Im sure teams would have given us a 2nd rounder for KOQ like Payton, but they have to send a player back. Same with Lee. We have to take back a player with making about $12mm or include other pieces and you end up with deals neither of you really like.

Also good teams like GS can draft a mature role player and have a cost controlled roster player for 3-4 years for cheap. Teams just dont give that up like they used to.

In an ideal world we younger or picks for Lee or KOQ but you need another team to join in on that

Not to mention role player FA's will sign with good teams for the min. Why the hell would they take on someone like Lee. I am a little surprised we got no takers for O'Quinn just because of how low his salary is.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/9/2018  5:26 AM
fishmike wrote:yes and no. The problem isnt the desire, its making trades in the CBA. Its tough when you have to match salaries.

Im sure teams would have given us a 2nd rounder for KOQ like Payton, but they have to send a player back. Same with Lee. We have to take back a player with making about $12mm or include other pieces and you end up with deals neither of you really like.

Also good teams like GS can draft a mature role player and have a cost controlled roster player for 3-4 years for cheap. Teams just dont give that up like they used to.

In an ideal world we younger or picks for Lee or KOQ but you need another team to join in on that

Not to mention role player FA's will sign with good teams for the min. Why the hell would they take on someone like Lee. I am a little surprised we got no takers for O'Quinn just because of how low his salary is.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
FrenchFreak
Member: #7568

2/9/2018  6:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/9/2018  6:39 AM
There was no reason to give away either of them. I think the Knicks see KOQ as someone they can extend on a reasonable contract to be the backup center. With so few teams having cap room next summer I don’t see KOQ being that expensive to bring back if he opts out. Maybe 7-8M a year?

Lee is a good player on a fairly reasonable, but expensive contract. His age is really the only good reason to trade him. I’m guessing the issue with moving Lee at the deadline was that the Knicks wanted a young player with upside or a late first rounder in exchange. That part was probably doable BUT the garbage contracts they would have had to take back to match salaries would have defeated the purpose. I like Lee but I would try again to move him in the off-season. If the best they could do to move him would be a salary dump then I’d be happy to keep him as well. He’s probably the Knicks most consistent two way player.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/9/2018  10:01 AM
FrenchFreak wrote:There was no reason to give away either of them. I think the Knicks see KOQ as someone they can extend on a reasonable contract to be the backup center. With so few teams having cap room next summer I don’t see KOQ being that expensive to bring back if he opts out. Maybe 7-8M a year?

Lee is a good player on a fairly reasonable, but expensive contract. His age is really the only good reason to trade him. I’m guessing the issue with moving Lee at the deadline was that the Knicks wanted a young player with upside or a late first rounder in exchange. That part was probably doable BUT the garbage contracts they would have had to take back to match salaries would have defeated the purpose. I like Lee but I would try again to move him in the off-season. If the best they could do to move him would be a salary dump then I’d be happy to keep him as well. He’s probably the Knicks most consistent two way player.

OKC would have been great for Lee. He would have helped tremendously for OK. What do they send back? Roberson and Ferguson? Roberson makes the same money and does much less. Same contract length.

Point is its not easy. Plenty of teams would have liked to add Lee at his current deal, but they are forced to send a $12mm a year guy back. Its just not easy to get these deals done. Tyreke not traded. Jordan not traded. Cle got deals done because they were willing take big money back from a team desperate to for a salary dump and they gave up a FRP to get stuff done.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MS
Member: #724
2/9/2018  10:35 AM
I think the fact that Tony Allen and Joe Johnson will be bought out and teams that needed help like OKC, Cleveland and the Warriors made it hard to swallow an extra year of Lee at his price point. Especially with Lou Williams signing for a mid level deal.
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/9/2018  11:33 AM
Keeping these guys is a commitment to mediocrity. To many 2nd unit role players eating up our cap. We are not a team that needs an O’quinn, Kanter, lee, Thomas, Baker. We definitely need vet’s/lockeroom guys, just not ones making more then the league minimum.

Our roster construction is terrible and our cap situation even worse.

We need to let O’quinn walk and pray Kanter opts out. No more big $$ role players until the foundation is set.

I like Beas, but cap is more important at this point.

We have 5 PG’s and-none of them should be starting. We still need a PG. Mudiay and Frank, if they can get it together are combo guards/SG’s. Burke will never be a stater but could be a keeper for the 2nd unit. Baker needs to go to China. Jack could come back on a vet min as a 3rd PG.

Hardaway is a 2, but to inconsistent to start. Again, we have-cap invested in a good role player, microwave off the bench. He is to fragile to play starters minutes and too much of a bone head to play crunch time unless he is red hot.

Lee gonna decline. Like his vet leadership but would like to see more of his minutes given to the future since we are not winning anyway.

We have no SF and other then KP, no PF. O’quinn plays like he is drunk half the time and Kanter would be nice to have if we were winning and not trying to manage cap. His 17m on a losing team is an albatross

Thanks for lettingme vent, GO KNICKS!!

Stunned that we couldn't deal Lee and/or KOQ.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy