[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How the KP Injury could end up being a blessing in disguise...
Author Thread
SocraticBallin22
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6096

2/7/2018  1:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2018  1:11 PM
Prior to KP's devastating torn ACL last night on a dunk, the Knicks were heading into the trading deadline still trying to win games and make the playoffs this year. Had KP not gotten hurt and lost for the rest of the season, there was a good chance the Knicks would have been buyers instead of sellers at the deadline trying to make a playoff push this year.

Here is the problem with that: Even if they were buyers at the deadline, and they sacrificed young assets to bolster the team this year, this is not a playoff team! So, in essence, what would have ended up happening is that Horny would have continued to play all the vets heavy minutes (i.e. Jack, Lee, Lance) while hindering the young players development, and we would win a few more games, yet not make the playoffs, which would be a worst case scenario for this franchise. All that does is give them a much worse pick in this year's deep lottery in the last year with the current rules giving tanking teams a weighted advantage at a much higher pick.

Now KP's untimely season ending injury happens. Management has to pause and reflect. And change direction. They are definitely not making the playoffs this year without KP and are forced to become sellers at the deadline while sacrificing the season on rebuilding and developing players for the future (which is what they should have been doing in the first place).

Now Horny does not feel the pressure to win games to keep his job. The expectations lower and Perry and Mills have a built in excuse to sell, sell, sell and play the youth this year.

The end result: they lose more games, get a much higher pick and another chance at a franchise player like KP in this draft. They develop the youth we have on this team through playing time and assess who they keep gong forward.

Moreover, I've resigned to the fact that KP--because of his slight frame and durability issues--is not a franchise player anymore, in the sense that he is a #1 option on a contending team. He is still a special player with a unique skill set and a perennial all-star, but I don't see him as carrying the franchise anymore. He's better suited at being the # 2 on a contending team, which makes it even more important to get a higher pick this year and get a franchise changing talent.

That's how KP's injury could be a blessing in disguise for the future of the franchise because it forces management to be doing what they should have been doing all along.

AUTOADVERT
Gudris
Member: #6213

2/7/2018  1:13 PM
agree
This injury is best case scenario for KP and Knicks
1) KP will come back stronger and smarter, this year he already looked tired and developing bad habits
2) Knicks have time to develop team and players who can win without KP, this is better for KP and team overall

we are not going to playoffs this year anyway, so all this bullkrap is a good thing for everybody

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/7/2018  1:16 PM
No blessing. ACL is a muthaphucker injury!
As for "franchise player", at 22 the jury is still out. We tend to not have much foresight as fans to see beyond what is visible.
Nothing is convincing until it is apparent for sports fans. I get it. Seemingly the only exception is Giannis who for afew years has gotten amazing accolades despite the lack of Bucks success. Im not saying he is not deserving, its just unusual. ANd he was a middle 1st round pick and a project.
KP without the injury was hanging 24-7-2blks and is "tired". Fist year as "the man". 50 games in many were giving up on him.
Until the franchise grows around him we really don't know the full potential. How many players in the history of the game can carry a team far? Only Lebron in this generation. Curry's first 4 years in the league was not special. Add others and its complementary. 2+2=6 Add Melo 2+2=3. Chemistry is important. melo on the right chemistry could have worked. Curry on the wrong team does not make him MVP.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/7/2018  1:19 PM
Gudris wrote:agree
1) KP will come back stronger and smarter, this year he already looked tired and developing bad habits
2) Knicks have time to develop team and players who can win without KP, this is better for KP and team overall

we are not going to playoffs this year anyway, so all this bullkrap is a good thing for everybody

I don't think this injury is the best case scenario for the Knicks and KP. I do think that the reality that this team is not ready to make the playoffs is impossible to avoid now. Managing the team from that perspective could be more positive than making moves to chase the 8th seed.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/7/2018  1:28 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

I don't think this injury is the best case scenario for the Knicks and KP. I do think that the reality that this team is not ready to make the playoffs is impossible to avoid now. Managing the team from that perspective could be more positive than making moves to chase the 8th seed.

I knew it was a bad injury, and was hoping it was something that only put him out this season. The unfortunate part is we will only have him for part of next year too. But it can help the rebuild in a lot of ways, i guess. Thankfully we own all our picks. Phil is to thank for that.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
2/7/2018  1:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2018  1:46 PM
I think that you have to go into the next draft thinking that you have to draft a franchise player. Someone to build around. We can no longer count on KP to be that guy. Sad but true. I am not saying he cannot be a great 1A still but I doubt he can be THE guy anymore.

So going forward all attention has to be to get the best players available in this years draft,

THat means getting as many picks as possible while losing as many GAMES as possible.

If they do not make a couple more deals to get picks before tomorrow, they are stupid.

I would keep Frank, Dotson, Hardaway.....anyone else?

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/7/2018  1:35 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

How, They had no intentions on sacrificing anything in a trade to get better unless they were blown away.

ES
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/7/2018  1:42 PM
If you need your franchise player to tear his ACL in order to force the front office to have a smarter outlook, then you have huge problems.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/7/2018  1:45 PM
The basketball gods smited us....

We need to get a high pick... Beasley, Burke and Dotson need to play... they needed to call up hicks and kornet.... the gods have spoken.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/7/2018  2:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2018  2:52 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:I think that you have to go into the next draft thinking that you have to draft a franchise player. Someone to build around. We can no longer count on KP to be that guy. Sad but true. I am not saying he cannot be a great 1A still but I doubt he can be THE guy anymore.

So going forward all attention has to be to get the best players available in this years draft,

THat means getting as many picks as possible while losing as many GAMES as possible.

If they do not make a couple more deals to get picks before tomorrow, they are stupid.

I disagree about KP not being that guy to build around. This injury doesn't change that. But i do agree we need to get another future all-star anyways. This franchise completely hinges on that. And yes, you named the keepers. KP, Frank, Dotson, Hardaway, and our picks this upcoming draft.

CrushAlot
USA
2/7/2018  2:55 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:If you need your franchise player to tear his ACL in order to force the front office to have a smarter outlook, then you have huge problems.
I don't know that we knew what their outlook was. But I don't think chasing the playoffs through trades was the best way to proceed. I think they indicated they were not going to do that unless they were blown away by an opportunity.
reub
Member: #6227

2/7/2018  2:55 PM
Knixkik wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:I think that you have to go into the next draft thinking that you have to draft a franchise player. Someone to build around. We can no longer count on KP to be that guy. Sad but true. I am not saying he cannot be a great 1A still but I doubt he can be THE guy anymore.

I disagree about KP not being that guy to build around. This injury doesn't change that. But i do agree we need to get another future all-star anyways. This franchise completely hinges on that. And yes, you named the keepers. KP, Frank, Dotson, Hardaway, and our picks this upcoming draft.

Plus the 2021 Hornets 2nd round pick. Don't forget about that building block.
CrushAlot
USA
2/7/2018  2:58 PM
reub wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Plus the 2021 Hornets 2nd round pick. Don't forget about that building block.
Is Batum still under contract then? Is that his 27 mil year when he is past his prime? Could be a good pick.
Welpee
Member: #6239

2/7/2018  3:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2018  3:13 PM
SocraticBallin22 wrote:Prior to KP's devastating torn ACL last night on a dunk, the Knicks were heading into the trading deadline still trying to win games and make the playoffs this year. Had KP not gotten hurt and lost for the rest of the season, there was a good chance the Knicks would have been buyers instead of sellers at the deadline trying to make a playoff push this year.

Here is the problem with that: Even if they were buyers at the deadline, and they sacrificed young assets to bolster the team this year, this is not a playoff team! So, in essence, what would have ended up happening is that Horny would have continued to play all the vets heavy minutes (i.e. Jack, Lee, Lance) while hindering the young players development, and we would win a few more games, yet not make the playoffs, which would be a worst case scenario for this franchise. All that does is give them a much worse pick in this year's deep lottery in the last year with the current rules giving tanking teams a weighted advantage at a much higher pick.

Now KP's untimely season ending injury happens. Management has to pause and reflect. And change direction. They are definitely not making the playoffs this year without KP and are forced to become sellers at the deadline while sacrificing the season on rebuilding and developing players for the future (which is what they should have been doing in the first place).

Now Horny does not feel the pressure to win games to keep his job. The expectations lower and Perry and Mills have a built in excuse to sell, sell, sell and play the youth this year.

The end result: they lose more games, get a much higher pick and another chance at a franchise player like KP in this draft. They develop the youth we have on this team through playing time and assess who they keep gong forward.

Moreover, I've resigned to the fact that KP--because of his slight frame and durability issues--is not a franchise player anymore, in the sense that he is a #1 option on a contending team. He is still a special player with a unique skill set and a perennial all-star, but I don't see him as carrying the franchise anymore. He's better suited at being the # 2 on a contending team, which makes it even more important to get a higher pick this year and get a franchise changing talent.

That's how KP's injury could be a blessing in disguise for the future of the franchise because it forces management to be doing what they should have been doing all along.

Hornacek should not feel he's going a get a free pass on the season just because KP is out. He has 55 pre-injury games on his resume that need to be evaluated and a front office who didn't hire him.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/7/2018  8:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2018  8:11 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:If you need your franchise player to tear his ACL in order to force the front office to have a smarter outlook, then you have huge problems.

Its nonsense, How anyone can think an ACL injury is a blessing. Maybe I should have a heart attack so I learn to eat better a blessing in disguise

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/7/2018  8:12 PM
Jmpasq wrote:

Its nonsense, How anyone can think an ACL injury is a blessing

No one wants KP to get hurt. If you can't get past the surface level of that, I don't know what to say.

David Robinson getting hurt was a blessing in disguise for SA. Maybe it could be for NY.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/7/2018  8:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2018  8:16 PM
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Its nonsense, How anyone can think an ACL injury is a blessing

No one wants KP to get hurt. If you can't get past the surface level of that, I don't know what to say.

David Robinson getting hurt was a blessing in disguise for SA. Maybe it could be for NY.

Excellent Point. Im sure at the time Spurs fans were cursing the day David robinson got hurt. Now those same fans realize that it was the best thing to happen to their franchise. Obviously I'm very pissed off right now BUT maybe there will be a silver lining that comes out of this
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/7/2018  8:25 PM
Its a "blessing"if the Knicks hit the lotto, and KP comes back no worse for wear. Not counting on those two things happening simultaneously.

I will be satisfied if KP comes back healthy, and a more well rounded player.

smackeddog
Member: #883
2/8/2018  4:11 AM

Yup! Maddening...

How the KP Injury could end up being a blessing in disguise...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy