reub
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6227

2/7/2018  2:46 PM
The purge on our big men has begun.

Noah told not to return
KP taken out by a deliberately planted foot
Willy given away for scraps
By the end of the season Trey Burke might just be our starting center.

AUTOADVERT
Welpee
Member: #6239

2/7/2018  3:00 PM
Rookie wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
franco12 wrote:
fishmike wrote:very odd. Perry started the year talking about Willy as a core young player. Then he gets moved for a guy who's prob out of the NBA next year and 2nd round picks.

I would love to know what about Willy so soured them to dump him for what amounts to nothing in the NBA

Maybe for having the temerity to think he should be getting minutes based on last year. Agent probably asked for a trade.

But, bs. KPs buddy traded for a sack of peanuts!

Expiring contract isn't peanuts. And if they can package those second rounders for an improved draft position, it'll be worthwhile. Let's wait (I know patience is hard ask in NYC) and judge holistically.

This is the way I see this deal. We shipped out Willy who wanted to be dealt. We got an expiring scrub that we can waive creating roster flexibility, some cap/salary relief, A trade exception and two 2nd rounders. Not bad at all if Perry is making a chess move setting up flexibility for another deal.

There has been rumor GSW are interested in O'Quinn. Sticking with the narrative that we want to get young players and add athleticism, what if the Willy trade leads to:

Kyle O'Quinn and two 2nd round picks to the Warriors

Knicks waive JOBiii and receive Jordan Bell and Kevon Looney.

Perry has given himself some roster flexibility, and trade assets in the form of another trade exception and multiple 2nd round picks to use to maximize return on any O'Quinn or Lee trade. I like the move here even if Willy was the cost. We are in a better position after this trade to re-shape our roster by the trade deadline. I expect this move signals that there is more to come

I hope so.
reub

2/7/2018  3:08 PM
O'Bryant is being waived. Nice knowing you!
Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
2/7/2018  3:31 PM
Trying to build accountability and defense and he was neither. Scores two gives up four. He’s never going to be anything in this league. We get a PF to fill in the roster and maybe become something and two 2nd rounders to trade or maybe find some diamond in the rough. Got quite a lot for a player we coulda just cut. He’s nothing. Huge win in my book.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/7/2018  3:34 PM
Zebo13 wrote:Trying to build accountability and defense and he was neither. Scores two gives up four. He’s never going to be anything in this league. We get a PF to fill in the roster and maybe become something and two 2nd rounders to trade or maybe find some diamond in the rough. Got quite a lot for a player we coulda just cut. He’s nothing. Huge win in my book.

A huge win would have been pumping his value and getting a first rounder. We did neither.

I liked Willy a lot but there were issues this year starting with defense. Very tough to have him and Kanter on the same roster.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
2/7/2018  3:52 PM
So Willy, top ten rookie in 2017, was just trade in his second year for two second rounders and OB who they just waived. Essentially nothing, based on the fact that no knick second round pick has amounted to anything, before Willy, for like, forever. Are they thinking they'll actually draft something better in the second round?
Come on, this trade is unjustifiable. Just when minutes opened up.
reub

2/7/2018  3:57 PM
Zebo13 wrote:Trying to build accountability and defense and he was neither. Scores two gives up four. He’s never going to be anything in this league. We get a PF to fill in the roster and maybe become something and two 2nd rounders to trade or maybe find some diamond in the rough. Got quite a lot for a player we coulda just cut. He’s nothing. Huge win in my book.

We already waived our new PF.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/7/2018  3:58 PM
If you showcase willy and he sucks, how do you pump his value.
Teams been after willy for while.
Zebo13
USA
2/7/2018  4:07 PM
fishmike wrote:

A huge win would have been pumping his value and getting a first rounder. We did neither.

I liked Willy a lot but there were issues this year starting with defense. Very tough to have him and Kanter on the same roster.

We were still trying to win, improve culture and keep KP happy about team progress until last night. Can’t have both unfortunately. I don’t think anybody was going to give us much more even if Willy got more PT. His horrid defense was so obvious. Swiss cheese mania.

Zebo13
USA
2/7/2018  4:09 PM
reub wrote:

We already waived our new PF.

Ahh, well good then. Must have more plans in motion. Standby.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/7/2018  4:46 PM
Hope you are Just being sarcastic otherwise id be worried for you
reub

2/7/2018  5:34 PM
By the trading deadline we're going to own like a hundred #2 picks and won't have a center left on the roster except Noah.
Because Knicks.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/7/2018  6:00 PM
For those complaining about trading KP's best friend, well, his best friend asked to be traded. What 23 yr old, 2nd round draft pick asks to be traded? Sounds diva-like to me and a player who feels he is entitled. Pretty sure KOQ was kicking his butt in practice and earned the minutes. As a coach, you ccan lose the locker room if you bench a player in favor of a player who is being outplayed...I Dont blame Jeff at all. Coaches and players dont tank. Front offices do....
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/7/2018  6:15 PM
Uptown wrote:For those complaining about trading KP's best friend, well, his best friend asked to be traded. What 23 yr old, 2nd round draft pick asks to be traded? Sounds diva-like to me and a player who feels he is entitled. Pretty sure KOQ was kicking his butt in practice and earned the minutes. As a coach, you ccan lose the locker room if you bench a player in favor of a player who is being outplayed...I Dont blame Jeff at all. Coaches and players dont tank. Front offices do....
Agree with this. Also, can't confirm this but someone told me Alan Hahn said that Willy was asked to go to the g league, didn't want to and asked for a trade. I don't know if it that is accurate or what was said exactly.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/7/2018  6:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2018  6:42 PM
Uptown wrote:For those complaining about trading KP's best friend, well, his best friend asked to be traded. What 23 yr old, 2nd round draft pick asks to be traded? Sounds diva-like to me and a player who feels he is entitled. Pretty sure KOQ was kicking his butt in practice and earned the minutes. As a coach, you ccan lose the locker room if you bench a player in favor of a player who is being outplayed...I Dont blame Jeff at all. Coaches and players dont tank. Front offices do....
Here is my issue. Im totally cool with letting KOQ and kanter get the majority of the minutes if they were playing well...i get that. However Willy literally got no time and he is/was suppose to be apart of our future. Im not saying he should have been paying 15-20 minutes per game but they should have gotten him a least a little more time. By giving him literally no minutes they really hurt his trade value. Look i admit im a Willy fan BUT i had no problem trading him as long as we got a good return. i really hope this doesnt mean we are going to resign KOQ to a big deal because that makes it even worse
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/7/2018  6:49 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Here is my issue. Im totally cool with letting KOQ and kanter get the majority of the minutes if they were playing well...i get that. However Willy literally got no time and he is/was suppose to be apart of our future. Im not saying he should have been paying 15-20 minutes per game but they should have gotten him a least a little more time. By giving him literally no minutes they really hurt his trade value. Look i admit im a Willy fan BUT i had no problem trading him as long as we got a good return. i really hope this doesnt mean we are going to resign KOQ to a big deal because that makes it even worse
KOQ maybe gone by the trade deadline. Also, when Willy did get minutes he didn't appear to be trying to impress by outworking guys. I personally didn't see that urgency that you see when Baker, Noah, Burke, Beasley etc. get minutes.
Also, I am curious if it is true that Willy didn't want to go down to the g league.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/7/2018  7:01 PM
Awful trade not surprised, probably give oquinn and Kanter 40 million a year total between them. I wish Brooklyn was slightly better so I can jump ship but they suck even worse
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq

2/7/2018  7:07 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
franco12 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

wow! $3.9m hope we don't spend it all at once!

I don't think you can combine exceptions...

Not anymore
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq

2/7/2018  7:09 PM
SocraticBallin22 wrote:I really don't understand this trade at all. It sounds like it was personal, instead of business. Willy made the all-rookie team last year and was a double, double machine when he played at the age of 23. There are not that many young skilled bigs in the game. He was an asset.

We're supposed to be rebuilding and developing our young players this year and he's benched the entire season making him disgruntled. He asked to be traded if he cannot play--because he wants to play to develop. So we ship him off for two future 2nd rounders?

Sources were saying that at least a dozen teams had interest in Willy; he had trade value. And if we're going to trade him, this is all we can get? Why not wait until closer to the deadline to get more value back. At least a future 1? Or how about playing him the rest of the season to develop?

I don't get it. This seems like a Dolan move, not a Perry move.

What the hell is a Perry move? How in the world can anyone see anything positive from this season. I guess if you want to be a ****-eyed optimist but this entire year has been a disaster
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

2/7/2018  7:59 PM
MS wrote:I’m confused.

The NBA names 5 rookies to the all rookie team. Billy made the first ****ing team. So we flip him for 2 second rounders and management is wheeling and dealing.

Who gives a **** if he came in with confidence. He crushed the euro tournament this summer.

Nothing about THJR absurd confidence while the guy is losing games always injured and playing like a bonehead.

This was a terrible deal, no way around it. We paid ****ing Ron Baker 4.5MM a year over two. Willy was playing for free!!

Ditto. Guy makes All Rookie second team and we give him away for a trade exception. This is Hornacek's ego ruining the Knicks. He simply wouldn't play Billy and Noah.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knicks trading Willy to the Hornets

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy