[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks trading Willy to the Hornets
Author Thread
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
2/7/2018  1:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2018  1:34 PM
Willy was expendable as our "young core" moving forward. Kanter is our "young" center for the future as Kanter is only 25 and in his prime. Willy is 23. Kanter is at least 10 times the player that Willy is.

Remember who got us Kanter in a trade when most teams were offering us crap for Melo. So I have confidence that Perry knows what he is doing. We, on this board, always overvalue our young players and have high hopes for them. I wish Willy well, but good bye.

Oh, Johnny O'B plays mostly PF - he's bulked up to 250 lbs and has been in the rotation for Charlotte. So maybe he can fill in some minutes for Porzingis?

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
AUTOADVERT
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

2/7/2018  1:35 PM
franco12 wrote:
fishmike wrote:very odd. Perry started the year talking about Willy as a core young player. Then he gets moved for a guy who's prob out of the NBA next year and 2nd round picks.

I would love to know what about Willy so soured them to dump him for what amounts to nothing in the NBA

Maybe for having the temerity to think he should be getting minutes based on last year. Agent probably asked for a trade.

But, bs. KPs buddy traded for a sack of peanuts!

Expiring contract isn't peanuts. And if they can package those second rounders for an improved draft position, it'll be worthwhile. Let's wait (I know patience is hard ask in NYC) and judge holistically.

fwk00
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6048

2/7/2018  1:41 PM
I like the trade. Four assets for one.

Second-rounders in an overpaid league are like gold. Plus the second-rounders come in draft years that have to be better than this year's.

The trade exception is nice.

And we have a young talent to evaluate who was buried on the pine.

I lost confidence in Willie this year. He won't crack Charlotte's rotation either.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/7/2018  1:42 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
MS wrote:I’m confused.

The NBA names 5 rookies to the all rookie team. Billy made the first ****ing team. So we flip him for 2 second rounders and management is wheeling and dealing.

Who gives a **** if he came in with confidence. He crushed the euro tournament this summer.

Nothing about THJR absurd confidence while the guy is losing games always injured and playing like a bonehead.

This was a terrible deal, no way around it. We paid ****ing Ron Baker 4.5MM a year over two. Willy was playing for free!!

Who gives a **** what Willy "crushed" in Europe? Its like saying "Im a big deal in Japan."

He wasn't even starting in Europe. He had an ok euro tourney. Gotta stop lying

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Ira
Member: #91
2/7/2018  1:48 PM
Markji wrote:Willy was expendable as our "young core" moving forward. Kanter is our "young" center for the future as Kanter is only 25 and in his prime. Willy is 23. Kanter is at least 10 times the player that Willy is.

Remember who got us Kanter in a trade when most teams were offering us crap for Melo. So I have confidence that Perry knows what he is doing. We, on this board, always overvalue our young players and have high hopes for them. I wish Willy well, but good bye.

Oh, Johnny O'B plays mostly PF - he's bulked up to 250 lbs and has been in the rotation for Charlotte. So maybe he can fill in some minutes for Porzingis?

Probably so. Beas probably starts at pf and O'Bryant could back him up.

Ira
Member: #91
2/7/2018  1:49 PM
I don't remember seeing O'Bryant when we played Charlotte. How do Willy and Johnny compare athletically?
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/7/2018  1:58 PM
Ira wrote:I don't remember seeing O'Bryant when we played Charlotte. How do Willy and Johnny compare athletically?

Short version is, he is a player who will get waived to create a roster spot if the Knicks make another deal creating the need for a roster spot. I doubt he ever wears a Knicks uniform

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/7/2018  1:59 PM
fwk00 wrote:I like the trade. Four assets for one.

Second-rounders in an overpaid league are like gold. Plus the second-rounders come in draft years that have to be better than this year's.

I lost confidence in Willie this year. He won't crack Charlotte's rotation either.

Dotson=Gold

Good one!

reub
Member: #6227

2/7/2018  2:01 PM
I heard a rumor that KP's other ACL tore when he was told the news about Willy.
fwk00

2/7/2018  2:04 PM
Ira wrote:
Markji wrote:Willy was expendable as our "young core" moving forward. Kanter is our "young" center for the future as Kanter is only 25 and in his prime. Willy is 23. Kanter is at least 10 times the player that Willy is.

Probably so. Beas probably starts at pf and O'Bryant could back him up.

If we're tanking O'Bryant starts.

fwk00

2/7/2018  2:06 PM
franco12 wrote:
fwk00 wrote:I like the trade. Four assets for one.

Dotson=Gold

Good one!

Dotson has a future. Willie's is in the rear-view mirror.

reub

2/7/2018  2:13 PM
Future 2020 headline:

KP FULLY RECOVERED AND SIGNS MAX CONTRACT WITH CHARLOTTE HORNETS.

reub

2/7/2018  2:19 PM
Everybody miss Phil yet?
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/7/2018  2:19 PM
reub wrote:Future 2020 headline:

june 3rd 2018..HEAD LINES

KP request trade from knicks, JH fired

ES
reub

2/7/2018  2:24 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
reub wrote:Future 2020 headline:

june 3rd 2018..HEAD LINES

KP request trade from knicks, JH fired

But Mills and Perry will say no to KP's request, setting up my 2020 headline and causing KP's brother Janis to barricade both himself and his brother in a small room at the Barclay Center. The second part of your headline is certainly true.

reub

2/7/2018  2:27 PM
Willy's contract was just too good and was making all of the other Knick contracts look even more terrible by comparison. He had to go!
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/7/2018  2:29 PM
From Berman,
a need to get better defensively up front — which was behind moving center Willy Hernangomez for 23-year-old Johnny O’Bryant. The Knicks also got two future second-rounders,
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
2/7/2018  2:32 PM

Is Kanter Worth the ridiculous contract he is going to get. Willie may not be as good but his contract was bearable compared to Kanters atrocious contract.

reub

2/7/2018  2:39 PM
Vmart wrote:

Is Kanter Worth the ridiculous contract he is going to get. Willie may not be as good but his contract was bearable compared to Kanters atrocious contract.

I agree. We should have looked to move Kanter. If we liked him that much we could resign him in the offseason. Willy, at his salary, would have been the logical one to keep. How many extra wins has Kanter given us this year over what Willy did last year at a much younger age? Not many. We don't even play Kanter in the fourth quarter most of the time.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/7/2018  2:42 PM
Moonangie wrote:
franco12 wrote:
fishmike wrote:very odd. Perry started the year talking about Willy as a core young player. Then he gets moved for a guy who's prob out of the NBA next year and 2nd round picks.

I would love to know what about Willy so soured them to dump him for what amounts to nothing in the NBA

Maybe for having the temerity to think he should be getting minutes based on last year. Agent probably asked for a trade.

But, bs. KPs buddy traded for a sack of peanuts!

Expiring contract isn't peanuts. And if they can package those second rounders for an improved draft position, it'll be worthwhile. Let's wait (I know patience is hard ask in NYC) and judge holistically.

This is the way I see this deal. We shipped out Willy who wanted to be dealt. We got an expiring scrub that we can waive creating roster flexibility, some cap/salary relief, A trade exception and two 2nd rounders. Not bad at all if Perry is making a chess move setting up flexibility for another deal.

There has been rumor GSW are interested in O'Quinn. Sticking with the narrative that we want to get young players and add athleticism, what if the Willy trade leads to:

Kyle O'Quinn and two 2nd round picks to the Warriors

Knicks waive JOBiii and receive Jordan Bell and Kevon Looney.

Perry has given himself some roster flexibility, and trade assets in the form of another trade exception and multiple 2nd round picks to use to maximize return on any O'Quinn or Lee trade. I like the move here even if Willy was the cost. We are in a better position after this trade to re-shape our roster by the trade deadline. I expect this move signals that there is more to come

Knicks trading Willy to the Hornets

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy