[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I'm thinking of the Spurs, Robinson, and Duncan, when I think of KP's injury.
Author Thread
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

2/7/2018  12:22 AM
Not saying the Knicks are as good as the Spurs were when Robinson got hurt...of course we aren't, but KP's injury opens up possibilities for getting a much better pick than I figured we could get in the draft based on our talent level this year. No way in the world the Spurs should have been in the running for Duncan with Robinson healthy, but it changed their history.

We have 23 wins now...the worst teams in the league have 17. Right now we are near #10 in the draft...I have no problem if we went into a younger player tank mode. I'm not really up on the top players in this draft, but will start looking at them now. We might very well be in the 3-7 range...no?

I'd trade off Lee and KOQ at this point, and Lance, if any team would give us a #2 for him. I prefer to keep Willy- my feeling is that we will regret letting him go if we do it...he needs court time to reach the consistency he started to show us last year. I don't think you get a great #1 for him if you give him up, and his value is lower than ever right now.

I would not trade KP...He still has maturing to do, and injuries aren't like they used to be in terms of slowing down a player. I'm figuring that his injury allows KP to see the need to get stronger.

Kanter and Willy should get a lot of play, and I'd bring up the big kid from Westchester, Kornet, to see what he looks like. Maybe others know who we might bring up from Westchester.

I'd give Frank, Trey, Dotson, McDermott, and Beasley more consistent playing time. We have Frank and Dotson under contract, but need to see if Burke, Dougie, and Beasley are keepers. Beasley has to show me he can do more than play ISO ball, though. I know he is a great 1/1 player, but I think we need to see other things from him on offense.

I have no issues sitting down Jack, or even releasing him. He's been a warrior, but unless we go on some kind of hot streak, which is doubtful, there is no reason to play him since he is not our future. Give Trey and Frank a lot of time at the 1 (& time to Frank at SG),and make sure Dotson gets a steady number of minutes, starting at 15mpg.

I'm looking at KPs injury in as positive a light as I can, assuming it is not worse than I'm hoping it is, and I think we'd be stupid to be buyers and not sellers as the trade deadline approaches.

I just see it as a chance to do better in the draft, and gives us justification to trade off players I would not have given up if we had a chance at making the playoffs. Not sure of the rules, by the way, but couldn't KOQ come back next year by opting out of his contract...assuming we want him back and he wants to play here?

Tough break, but who knows, maybe it helps us in the long run.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/7/2018  12:41 AM
Great way of looking at it. Makes a bad night a bit less bad.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/7/2018  12:45 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:Not saying the Knicks are as good as the Spurs were when Robinson got hurt...of course we aren't, but KP's injury opens up possibilities for getting a much better pick than I figured we could get in the draft based on our talent level this year. No way in the world the Spurs should have been in the running for Duncan with Robinson healthy, but it changed their history.

We have 23 wins now...the worst teams in the league have 17. Right now we are near #10 in the draft...I have no problem if we went into a younger player tank mode. I'm not really up on the top players in this draft, but will start looking at them now. We might very well be in the 3-7 range...no?

I'd trade off Lee and KOQ at this point, and Lance, if any team would give us a #2 for him. I prefer to keep Willy- my feeling is that we will regret letting him go if we do it...he needs court time to reach the consistency he started to show us last year. I don't think you get a great #1 for him if you give him up, and his value is lower than ever right now.

I would not trade KP...He still has maturing to do, and injuries aren't like they used to be in terms of slowing down a player. I'm figuring that his injury allows KP to see the need to get stronger.

Kanter and Willy should get a lot of play, and I'd bring up the big kid from Westchester, Kornet, to see what he looks like. Maybe others know who we might bring up from Westchester.

I'd give Frank, Trey, Dotson, McDermott, and Beasley more consistent playing time. We have Frank and Dotson under contract, but need to see if Burke, Dougie, and Beasley are keepers. Beasley has to show me he can do more than play ISO ball, though. I know he is a great 1/1 player, but I think we need to see other things from him on offense.

I have no issues sitting down Jack, or even releasing him. He's been a warrior, but unless we go on some kind of hot streak, which is doubtful, there is no reason to play him since he is not our future. Give Trey and Frank a lot of time at the 1 (& time to Frank at SG),and make sure Dotson gets a steady number of minutes, starting at 15mpg.

I'm looking at KPs injury in as positive a light as I can, assuming it is not worse than I'm hoping it is, and I think we'd be stupid to be buyers and not sellers as the trade deadline approaches.

I just see it as a chance to do better in the draft, and gives us justification to trade off players I would not have given up if we had a chance at making the playoffs. Not sure of the rules, by the way, but couldn't KOQ come back next year by opting out of his contract...assuming we want him back and he wants to play here?

Now we are talkin.

Go get Ayton or Bagely to be Tim to KP's David.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/7/2018  12:47 AM
Robinson hurt his knee much earlier in the season. We need a miracle to close on 9 teams with a fairly lengthy distance away with only 29 to go. If we can do 4-25-- something like that but the Knicks franchise will be playing Jarrett jack 36 minutes in game 82
RIP Crushalot😞
magicTs
Member: #5564

2/7/2018  12:57 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Robinson hurt his knee much earlier in the season. We need a miracle to close on 9 teams with a fairly lengthy distance away with only 29 to go. If we can do 4-25-- something like that but the Knicks franchise will be playing Jarrett jack 36 minutes in game 82

We only have 27 games left. 3-24 or 4-23 are very possible if we trade well over the next 48hrs. We are only 6 games better than the worst teams now and several of them will definitely catch us.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/7/2018  1:09 AM
This injury may effect Knicks for 2 draft seasons. Took LaVine 1 full year, which sounds about right. That means next Jan/Feb next year for KP.... tank the rest of this season, and beginning of next and it'll take KP 2-3 months just to feel norm too.

Hold your horses

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/7/2018  1:28 AM
magicTs wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Robinson hurt his knee much earlier in the season. We need a miracle to close on 9 teams with a fairly lengthy distance away with only 29 to go. If we can do 4-25-- something like that but the Knicks franchise will be playing Jarrett jack 36 minutes in game 82

We only have 27 games left. 3-24 or 4-23 are very possible if we trade well over the next 48hrs. We are only 6 games better than the worst teams now and several of them will definitely catch us.

Start Frank and Willy. We've got this.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/7/2018  2:18 AM
Unfortunately it's too late this season to catch up with the bottom 5 teams, and next season they're changing the lottery odds specifically to reduce the advantage of the worst team in landing the top pick. It honestly couldn't have happened at a worse time
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

2/7/2018  3:05 AM
smackeddog wrote:Unfortunately it's too late this season to catch up with the bottom 5 teams, and next season they're changing the lottery odds specifically to reduce the advantage of the worst team in landing the top pick. It honestly couldn't have happened at a worse time

6 games over the rest of the season is not overwhelming...No reason why we can end up with a 3 or 4, and do it while playing youngsters.

Hornacek has to coach for the future & I don't mean playing to lose. He should just let the younger players play through their mistakes and down moments.

Will be interesting to see how the Knicks brass plays this. If we still have KOQ and Lee after the trade deadline...if we stand pat and refuse to make trades which open up time for younger players, then you have expect that getting a top 4 pick really is impossible.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/7/2018  3:39 AM
This is the best thing we can think about. Hopefully it works out long term. An acl isn't as big a deal anymore, and obviously he's really young. Hopefully we can add real talent in the draft.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/7/2018  6:22 AM

Yep its to late, we would really have to go on a 20 game losing streak to get anywhere near that. I will tell you whats going to happen next year we will do this in reverse where Porzingis comes back and destroys a chance at the number 1 pick because thats the Knicks. If its the worst thing that can possibly happen to an NBA team, its the Knicks

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/7/2018  6:28 AM
I'm thinking Ralph Sampson.
franco12
USA
2/7/2018  6:53 AM
we were in a free fall with KP, so top 5 pick isn't outside the realm of possibility. A top 1 is really needed. David Stern needs to sneak back in- in fact, lets have him sit at our seat during the lottery.

100% should trade Lee. I like KOQ and would keep him long term, but with KP's injury, if I can pick up a future asset (2nd rounder), I do it.

I'd also trade Jack, force Jeff to start someone else.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

2/7/2018  6:54 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:Not saying the Knicks are as good as the Spurs were when Robinson got hurt...of course we aren't, but KP's injury opens up possibilities for getting a much better pick than I figured we could get in the draft based on our talent level this year. No way in the world the Spurs should have been in the running for Duncan with Robinson healthy, but it changed their history.

So we need to lose now? Where's Melo when you need him???

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/7/2018  7:10 AM
franco12 wrote:I'm thinking Ralph Sampson.

Ralph had chronic back and knee problems. ACL is not degenerative. Ralph had problems young and they did not allow him to play in the parimeter because he was tall.

franco12
USA
2/7/2018  7:18 AM
Nalod wrote:

Ralph had chronic back and knee problems. ACL is not degenerative. Ralph had problems young and they did not allow him to play in the parimeter because he was tall.

No - maybe being 7'3" or 7'4" and mobile like they both are/were is just not what the human body is made to do, and inevitably you end up hurt from all the clumsy falls you take.

If I am betting today, I don't bet KP can be productive and healthy over a 10 year span. I don't give him a max contract. That is my thinking on what I have seen.

I could be wrong.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
2/7/2018  8:03 AM
As Knick fans we brace for the worst and hope for the best.
KPs injury is jarring for all fans and Knick management yet perhaps there is a silver lining. Let’s pray he comes back 100% yet if he does one of two things may occur. He may lose some speed and thus become a 5 by default. KP isn’t a strong rebounder yet perhaps this develops. Yet he may choose to stay outside even more than he does and shoot the jumper and that isn’t a great sign.

Aside from what occurs with KP, we will now need to develop a core unit, a stronger core and foundation than what is in place. We will need to grow defensively and the Kantern
Issue is staring management in the faces. Neither Wiky, or Kanter can play D.
Perhaps our pick becomes a 5 (Bamba)and Kanter fetches a first. Fortunately between Thomas, Lee, KOQ and
Jack we have some trading value. Now Wily stays I assume.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
2/7/2018  8:15 AM
I thought the same thing last night. This could be the Knicks Spurs Robinson-Duncan break.
MS
Member: #724
2/7/2018  8:37 AM
Happened too late in the season to get a top pick. Unless they decide to sell all the veterans which is what any competent franchise would do hard to find a positive, aside
from you allow Willy to play in the four a lot and build value.

This is crippling to next season, he won’t be back till this time next year at best. Hopefully speedy recovery.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/7/2018  8:50 AM

That is going way overboard.

I'm thinking of the Spurs, Robinson, and Duncan, when I think of KP's injury.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy