[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sources: Willy Hernangomez seeking trade from Knicks
Author Thread
jskinny35
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #928
USA
2/6/2018  12:19 AM
I think for Hornacek's faults - he's trying to support the culture change that Perry spoke of - defensive intensity, teamwork and hustle. Things are somewhat better this year in that we're playing harder overall. Last year we would try to outgun teams and didn't have the offense to win most of the time. I fully support the coach not playing guys that don't appear to play hard and together. For the first time, I see Beasley trying to defend and playing more as a result. Lee, Thomas, Frank - while not offensively gifted players - play hard and that's why they seem to play more then the others. Unfortunately they're not good enough offensively so we have lost some tough games. But you have to support what the coach is trying to do - especially after years of allowing entitlement and poor defensive effort. Say he played Willy over O'Quinn and Noah - that would negatively influence the younger players and not demand their effort. I really hope we don't trade Willy but I equally hope he decides to show his worth by giving a greater defensive effort for the limited minutes he gets. I sure miss those 90s Knick teams - while they never won a title, at least they had an identity and respect around the league for their play.
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/6/2018  5:28 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Should give Willy, KP, Doug, Tim, Frank some run these last 25 games.
Just to see what they have.
They are the youngest players at each position with definite NBA ability but no idea of their ceiling or ideal role yet.

Play them to find out.

I think some of the minutes will work themselves out as the knicks fall farther out from playoff contention. But all of those guys get minutes except for Willy and Dotson and Dotson is supposed to see more minutes with Baker out. Also, are you taking minutes from Kanter and Burke? Both guys are doing good things on the court and are younger tgan some of the guys on your list.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/6/2018  8:05 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-willy-hernangomez-seeking-trade-knicks-162934637.html

This kid has some gall....

tell Willys people that we will package him with Noah

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
2/6/2018  8:24 AM
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:You have Willie on a friendly deal and the Knicks gonna mess that up and give O’Quin big money which will basically clog up the cap. Dumb shut organization.

1) Make up unlikely scenario 2) accuse someone else of taking that scenario 3) call them dumb

The papers should hire me . ESPN here I come.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

2/6/2018  9:14 AM
Willy plays no defense, if he want PT on most teams he needs to learn how to play defense. His offense isn’t polished like kanter, and kanter sits most 4th quarters because of his lack of defensive ability.

Willy should have worked harder on his weaknesses in the off season... it’s easy to see he is very talented, he’s been getting out worked by KOQ, Who less talented but works hard on both ends of the floor . Willy has no one to blame but himself for lack of PT. If willy played even half good defense he’d be starting on this team...

If I’m gm no way I trade Willy he’s young,good and cheap. I’d look into moving kanter or O’Quinn before looking into what we can get for Willy.

reub
Member: #6227

2/6/2018  9:36 AM
fitzfarm wrote:Willy plays no defense, if he want PT on most teams he needs to learn how to play defense. His offense isn’t polished like kanter, and kanter sits most 4th quarters because of his lack of defensive ability.

Willy should have worked harder on his weaknesses in the off season... it’s easy to see he is very talented, he’s been getting out worked by KOQ, Who less talented but works hard on both ends of the floor . Willy has no one to blame but himself for lack of PT. If willy played even half good defense he’d be starting on this team...

If I’m gm no way I trade Willy he’s young,good and cheap. I’d look into moving kanter or O’Quinn before looking into what we can get for Willy.

How can you say that he plays no defense when he never plays?

reub
Member: #6227

2/6/2018  9:39 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
reub wrote:Willy has barely played. It's not fair to judge him on 2 0r 3 minutes a week of playing time.

This team scks--play the guy????????????? I still dont get why he doenst play???

I remember seeing a pre-season video of Hornacek talking to Willy and he asks him "what are you good at". Willy says rebounding and scoring and Horny then says "go do that then". It didn't seem that Horny had any respect for Willy's talents despite him having a good year last year for a rookie. The kid deserves a chance because we're sinking fat anyway. We should trade Kanter instead.

knicks1248
Member: #582
2/6/2018  9:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2018  9:48 AM
reub wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:Willy plays no defense, if he want PT on most teams he needs to learn how to play defense. His offense isn’t polished like kanter, and kanter sits most 4th quarters because of his lack of defensive ability.

How can you say that he plays no defense when he never plays?

So you think people are assuming he doesn't play D.

The next time he does play, instead of fixating on his post moves, look at his effort running down the court, look at his effort to come out of the paint and defend anyone (let alone his own man), look at his rotation on defense and how he completely gets sucked into the paint leaving wide open 3's, even guys shooting 5 feet from him, he won't even put up a hand or try and close out, unless it's a half hearted attempt.

That's why he's on the bench

ES
Welpee
Member: #6239

2/6/2018  9:54 AM

I agree, he reminds me a little of Bargnani. Bargnani's off season conditioning program consisted of going back to Italy and playing on the national team versus staying in the states and getting on serious training regime (a la Kanter last off season).
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/6/2018  10:51 AM
Vmart wrote:
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:You have Willie on a friendly deal and the Knicks gonna mess that up and give O’Quin big money which will basically clog up the cap. Dumb shut organization.

1) Make up unlikely scenario 2) accuse someone else of taking that scenario 3) call them dumb

The papers should hire me . ESPN here I come.

NY Post, NY Daily News. TMZ

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

2/6/2018  12:39 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Should give Willy, KP, Doug, Tim, Frank some run these last 25 games.
Just to see what they have.
They are the youngest players at each position with definite NBA ability but no idea of their ceiling or ideal role yet.

Play them to find out.

I think some of the minutes will work themselves out as the knicks fall farther out from playoff contention. But all of those guys get minutes except for Willy and Dotson and Dotson is supposed to see more minutes with Baker out. Also, are you taking minutes from Kanter and Burke? Both guys are doing good things on the court and are younger tgan some of the guys on your list.

I think the key is to build the team around Porzingis and find who works with KP and who doesn't.

I know for a fact Timmy and Frank play well with KP. Both run great screen and rolls and look for KP and the chemistry is just there.

We should try those three and two of the other young guys like

Trey Burke (play three guard lineup)
Doug McDermott
Willy Hernangomez

These guys have gotten minutes but with second units.

Want to see what they do with our two best players - KP and THj.

Finestrg
Member: #1069

2/6/2018  12:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2018  12:56 PM
I dunno -- good chance O'Quinn's gone at the deadline. I'd say better than 50/50. Knowing this, why not re-establish Willy weeks ago, esp. after we started sliding hard in the standings?? I get Willy doesn't look great on D, probably never will, BUT... look at the potential positives: he's a legit C, has girth, solid rebounder, good potential offensively in the post, young, KP's boy... Remember, no one was talking about how bad he was defensively last year. Last year, he was a good prospect for us, a guy may thought should've been drafted much higher. To not build on that is a mistake on the Knicks' part imo. How much is it Willy regressing badly vs. the Knicks mishandling this situation badly? Hopefully they reconsider their thinking on him. We trade O'Quinn for a draft pick and a player(s) we're gonna waive quickly, then let Willy walk out the door here -- we're suddenly ultra thin in the middle. I think this dude's worth building back up. Not too late to salvage this situation with him. Up to the Knicks to see the value here and want to salvage this. Do they? Extremely shortsighted on their part if they don't.
martin
USA
2/6/2018  1:31 PM
Finestrg wrote:I dunno -- good chance O'Quinn's gone at the deadline. I'd say better than 50/50. Knowing this, why not re-establish Willy weeks ago, esp. after we started sliding hard in the standings?? I get Willy doesn't look great on D, probably never will, BUT... look at the potential positives: he's a legit C, has girth, solid rebounder, good potential offensively in the post, young, KP's boy... Remember, no one was talking about how bad he was defensively last year. Last year, he was a good prospect for us, a guy may thought should've been drafted much higher. To not build on that is a mistake on the Knicks' part imo. How much is it Willy regressing badly vs. the Knicks mishandling this situation badly? Hopefully they reconsider their thinking on him. We trade O'Quinn for a draft pick and a player(s) we're gonna waive quickly, then let Willy walk out the door here -- we're suddenly ultra thin in the middle. I think this dude's worth building back up. Not too late to salvage this situation with him. Up to the Knicks to see the value here and want to salvage this. Do they? Extremely shortsighted on their part if they don't.

Willy is under contract for 2 more years after this one. And you think it may be too late to "salvage this situation"? Kind of an odd take.

KOQ is an UFA and perhaps the Knicks would like to pump his value for a trade.... and you think it's a good idea to sit him?

How does any of this make sense?

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

2/6/2018  7:24 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
fishmike wrote:he should be getting minutes. He's stuck right now but that is all salvageable. You only get to be young once. I dont blame these guys for lacking patience. Its up to the FO to navigate this well.

If he were playing like he did last year, he would be playing. Kanter and KOQ are playing much better basketball.

Cashing Willie in is a smart thing to do. He's not a fit with Porzingis while Kanter very much is. Willie is a nice trade chip.

This. Willie is in no position to make demands to anyone. Playing time will come eventually. He needs to play better if he wants to speed up that process. If the right trade offer comes around, I agree that we should do it. But the organization should not have into the demands of and under performing project. I don't know what's going on in practice, but his effort on the court has been erratic.

These kids came here to make a living playing basketball. If teh coach won't play them for the right or wrong reasons, they'll want to go somewhere else for a better shot at earning a bigger paycheck. If your workplace told you you would never be promoted for the rest of your career would you still work there? Or in this case you would never get an opportunity to prove yourself because the guys who get all the attention keep wanting more? He is absolutely withing his rights to demand a trade - it's his career at stake.

In this, his employer told him in exact details what he needed to improve on and he's failed to meet the challenge. Again, I can't judge what he does in practice, but his on the court effort has been up and down. I want him to stop whining about minutes and go earn them.

Yep sure they did. And what does that mean?

Just think Horny hates Willy for whatever reason. I don't know why and I don't care. What would he do? Tell Willy he hates him and won't play him? Or tell Willy the other guys are playing better defense in practice as a way to deny him playing time? This is not a conspiracy theory - this happens everyday in almost every organization. In this case one side controls the media narrative and we never hear from the other side.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/6/2018  7:45 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
fishmike wrote:he should be getting minutes. He's stuck right now but that is all salvageable. You only get to be young once. I dont blame these guys for lacking patience. Its up to the FO to navigate this well.

If he were playing like he did last year, he would be playing. Kanter and KOQ are playing much better basketball.

Cashing Willie in is a smart thing to do. He's not a fit with Porzingis while Kanter very much is. Willie is a nice trade chip.

This. Willie is in no position to make demands to anyone. Playing time will come eventually. He needs to play better if he wants to speed up that process. If the right trade offer comes around, I agree that we should do it. But the organization should not have into the demands of and under performing project. I don't know what's going on in practice, but his effort on the court has been erratic.

These kids came here to make a living playing basketball. If teh coach won't play them for the right or wrong reasons, they'll want to go somewhere else for a better shot at earning a bigger paycheck. If your workplace told you you would never be promoted for the rest of your career would you still work there? Or in this case you would never get an opportunity to prove yourself because the guys who get all the attention keep wanting more? He is absolutely withing his rights to demand a trade - it's his career at stake.

In this, his employer told him in exact details what he needed to improve on and he's failed to meet the challenge. Again, I can't judge what he does in practice, but his on the court effort has been up and down. I want him to stop whining about minutes and go earn them.

Yep sure they did. And what does that mean?

Just think Horny hates Willy for whatever reason. I don't know why and I don't care. What would he do? Tell Willy he hates him and won't play him? Or tell Willy the other guys are playing better defense in practice as a way to deny him playing time? This is not a conspiracy theory - this happens everyday in almost every organization. In this case one side controls the media narrative and we never hear from the other side.

I don't think Willy has outplayed either KOQ or Kanter when he has gotten minutes. The desperation to win/stay on the floor that you see with Baker, Noah, Burke, Beasley etc. doesn't seem to be there with Willy. There maybe something there with Hornacek. I certainly think there was with NOah prior to the Warriors game. There was no reason to pull Noah like he did in garbage time.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
blkexec
Member: #748
2/6/2018  8:54 PM
there goes the glut issue.....kp down. Willy can stop crying now.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
martin
USA
2/6/2018  9:00 PM
blkexec wrote:there goes the glut issue.....kp down. Willy can stop crying now.

Willy just gotta find his big boy pants

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/6/2018  9:02 PM
Coach liked Willy last year. He played him. Its not personal, its basketball.
blkexec
Member: #748
2/6/2018  9:11 PM
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:there goes the glut issue.....kp down. Willy can stop crying now.

Willy just gotta find his big boy pants

assuming it's only a sprain.....injury might be a blessing in disguise. Now we need Willy to play...while the tank is now official......pending KP injury.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

2/6/2018  10:02 PM
Nalod wrote:Coach liked Willy last year. He played him. Its not personal, its basketball.

And maybe this year Willy banged the coach's daughter? Look man we don't know jack about what goes on or why they make the decisions they make. That's all I am saying.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Sources: Willy Hernangomez seeking trade from Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy