Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6048

2/2/2018  11:04 AM
Nalod wrote:
Finestrg wrote:
martin wrote:
Finestrg wrote:
martin wrote:
Finestrg wrote:Per Berman, the Knicks want to get more athletic. Burke certainly helps. So does swapping out KOQ/LT for Christian Wood and Brandon Ashley. Huge upgrade right there imho. Not only are both guys more athletic, they're also two damn good all-around players!! We could do this for nothing. Trade O'Quinn for the highest pick we can get and cut LT. Add these other two forwards.

DO you really think this is a likely or even plausible path? Just cut LT? He's a captain of the team.

I hear you, fully aware of high highly the Knicks think of him--but to me, they UNBELIEVABLY overrate him. Feel bad saying it, I respect the hustle he brings, but it is what it is. We need a more skilled player there. Wood and/or Ashley in that role is a clear cut upgrade in my book (and this substitution wouldn't require much which makes it all the more appealing--cut a low-salary player, call up the G-League replacement. Either guy would be an upgrade over O'Quinn too.. O'Quinn's a tradable asset btw--big difference; I don't think LT is.

Also, LT comes from the past regime. Are you fully convinced Perry's enamoured with him? If you were Perry, wouldn't that be a spot you'd look at and say, "man, we can do better there"? I would.

I wouldn't say Perry is enamored with LT but it's clear that Perry and Jeff know his value. And I bet it doesn't have to do too much with production on the court. LT is there to help establish the culture they envision. A young team needs a balance of young guys matched with guys who know the business of being a professional.

Ok, difference of opinion. The stuff you're talking about is window dressing man. Secondary to amassing the best possible talent level--a competitive talent level--and we're not there yet imo.. LT might be a great teammate, good locker room guy, great glue guy, all that stuff but I think when people see what he can actually do on the court/how limited he is, the type of impact he has on the court, I think the effect you're talking about is greatly diminished in his teammates' eyes, possibly in the new GM's eyes too. You think deep down, KP's thinking "thank God I have Lance to go to war with every night" or "man, good guy, I love him, but I wish I had a better player to go to war with"? Think about it and answer truthfully. How would you feel if YOU were KP? I know for a fact I'd want a more talented player there. Does KP need to learn the ropes at this point/be taught how to respect the game/the NBA/taking practice seriously --OR-- is it more about the team putting together better talent around him that will = more Ws?? I would bet in his mind, it's the latter. Would be for me..

How much have we won since Lance has been here? Not much.. So where's the REAL impact where it counts with this player?? In fact, there's a lot of people on this board screaming that we desperately need help at SF, right? If LT was a high impact player, we probably wouldn't be saying that. He's an easy sacrifice to me at the point.

Don't let the screaming on this board confuse you with the reality of roster construction.
Don't let individual talent confuse you with what is a team game. We loved Lance while the wins were happening. When the Wiz were stacked with young talent a few years ago they had little "Glue" from vets to keep it together. Until that happened they underperformed. There are other instances.
There is no absolute here nor is the market to move "Picks" as robust as in previous years. Thank Boston for competing at a high level while rebuilding. Good trades, good drafting and good free agent signings. But the backbone of assets is their picks.
GS built thru the draft, trades and free agent signings.
If you want a real sustainable run now is not the time "settle" and succumb to the short term. We can make a playoff push with this team and then draft.
Eye on 2019 free agency to round the team out. Keep the picks.
But don't think we can horde picks with KOQ and Lee. I'd like to, but the league is not throwing away picks like they did a few years ago.
Mozgov went for two later first round picks!!! It was crazy.

Nalod, there's another possibility other than FAs and look-ahead draft picks and that is to find draft picks from the last three years who have under-performed or are stuck at the bottom of rosters due to redundancy and so on. Find them, offer the teams some of our more useful assets that don't disturb the rebuild effort and roll the dice.

IMO, this year's pick should be on the table, Willie likewise, same with the usual suspects.

Let's see what a Rubio might bring or a young athletic SF. It's time to push for a playoff spot.

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/2/2018  11:05 AM
Finestrg wrote:
martin wrote:
Finestrg wrote:
martin wrote:
Finestrg wrote:Per Berman, the Knicks want to get more athletic. Burke certainly helps. So does swapping out KOQ/LT for Christian Wood and Brandon Ashley. Huge upgrade right there imho. Not only are both guys more athletic, they're also two damn good all-around players!! We could do this for nothing. Trade O'Quinn for the highest pick we can get and cut LT. Add these other two forwards.

DO you really think this is a likely or even plausible path? Just cut LT? He's a captain of the team.

I hear you, fully aware of high highly the Knicks think of him--but to me, they UNBELIEVABLY overrate him. Feel bad saying it, I respect the hustle he brings, but it is what it is. We need a more skilled player there. Wood and/or Ashley in that role is a clear cut upgrade in my book (and this substitution wouldn't require much which makes it all the more appealing--cut a low-salary player, call up the G-League replacement. Either guy would be an upgrade over O'Quinn too.. O'Quinn's a tradable asset btw--big difference; I don't think LT is.

Also, LT comes from the past regime. Are you fully convinced Perry's enamoured with him? If you were Perry, wouldn't that be a spot you'd look at and say, "man, we can do better there"? I would.

I wouldn't say Perry is enamored with LT but it's clear that Perry and Jeff know his value. And I bet it doesn't have to do too much with production on the court. LT is there to help establish the culture they envision. A young team needs a balance of young guys matched with guys who know the business of being a professional.

Ok, difference of opinion. The stuff you're talking about is window dressing man. Secondary to amassing the best possible talent level--a competitive talent level--and we're not there yet imo.. LT might be a great teammate, good locker room guy, great glue guy, all that stuff but I think when people see what he can actually do on the court/how limited he is, the type of impact he has on the court, I think the effect you're talking about is greatly diminished in his teammates' eyes, possibly in the new GM's eyes too. You think deep down, KP's thinking "thank God I have Lance to go to war with every night" or "man, good guy, I love him, but I wish I had a better player to go to war with"? Think about it and answer truthfully. How would you feel if YOU were KP? I know for a fact I'd want a more talented player there. Does KP need to learn the ropes at this point/be taught how to respect the game/the NBA/taking practice seriously --OR-- is it more about the team putting together better talent around him that will = more Ws?? I would bet in his mind, it's the latter. Would be for me..

How much have we won since Lance has been here? Not much.. So where's the REAL impact where it counts with this player?? In fact, there's a lot of people on this board screaming that we desperately need help at SF, right? If LT was a high impact player, we probably wouldn't be saying that. He's an easy sacrifice to me at the point.

if you think its window dressing you havent played org sports. Its not. You need these guys. Culture isnt a pretend thing. Young players need guidance on the court. Most every successful NBA franchise does this.

How would KP feel if you put a bunch of kids around him with no clue how to play the NBA game?

Knicks are on pace to win 5 more games than last year moving from a HOF scorer to a 22 year old as a featured player. They are a better team this year.

I am sure deep down KP would love Curry/Durant/Klay/Draymond to go to war with. However the Knicks dont have the roster and dumping Lance Thomas is not the route to getting there. If you think chemistry and team building doesnt matter I think your not paying attention.

Your also simply wrong about Lance's play. The fact is nobody on the roster has been able to knock him off his spot. When that happens Lance will be out of the rotation. You think KP wants to play next to a bunch of kids who dont know how to play? But they have GREAT upside. Not much of a selling point when KP is sick of losing and playing next to a revolving carousel of young guns who are not good.

Just cause YOU dont value veteran player or leadership doesnt mean its not valuable.

Knicks have a lot of young guys on the roster. They are going to add at least 2 more this offseason. They have been pretty up front. Lots of young guys but they want to play a certain way. Culture is not window dressing. Its the core of what they are trying to accomplish. Establish a style of play, pass the torch. Thats what you are seeing. I get you dont agree with it. Thats fine. Maybe you are right, but its their approach. I guess your down on Perry?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/2/2018  6:55 PM
Finestrg wrote:
martin wrote:
Finestrg wrote:
martin wrote:

My post was this: "I wouldn't say Perry is enamored with LT but it's clear that Perry and Jeff know his value. And I bet it doesn't have to do too much with production on the court. LT is there to help establish the culture they envision."

... and a majority of what you responded with was what LT does on the court.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Back to reality

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy