1/27/2018  6:01 PM
BigRedDog wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Think it would take

2018 pick
Frank
Willy
CLee

That's a lot to give up.

Wake up! Spurs arent trading Leonard for this ****. Stop doing these ridiculous one sided trades. A lot to give up? Yeah a lot of ****

Yeah. I would do that deal in a heartbeat and the Spurs would laugh at our faces.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/27/2018  6:04 PM
We would most likely have to give up KP AND Frank AND the 2018 pick AND swap picks next year and probably Willy as well. Now that’s more realistic and a lot to give up.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

1/27/2018  8:07 PM
Swishfm3 wrote:Not saying K. Leonard is a bad player but he may be a product of his environment.

I would love to see how he does with another organization...just not the Knicks. Let that experiment happen somewhere else

Here's what I've heard recently, and in the past, regarding Leonard, from guys I still know around the league.

A) When Al Horford was a Hawk but close to FA, the Spurs recruited him heavily. They had a "handshake" deal that he'd sign with the Spurs. This was however quite a bit of time before he became a FA.

B) In the "bridge year", the Spurs signed LaMarcus Aldridge. Aldridge's agent warned him about signing as such, as it was clear once the Spurs had Horford, they would trade LMA and use that as a new core (Leonard/Horford/Assets from LMA trade) LMA signed anyway as he thought it was his best chance at a ring, and Duncan stayed one more year.

C) Horford went to the Celtics. No one expected that. The Spurs, weighing it out, doubled down on Pau Gasol because they needed a true center and kept onto LMA, since his trade value had gone up and down and was not stable and they needed the talent base as they knew FAs just didn't want to come to SA. Duncan retired accordingly.

To be fair, though Horford has had a nice year this year so far, he's regressed.

Once Horford ended up a Celtic, the writing was on the wall. The Spurs would still be a playoff team, but would not have the asset base to actually contend. Leonard doesn't fit their timeline.

D) Leonard's uncle is apparently a massive problem. As the rumor goes, he's asked for and demanded a prominent position in the Spurs front office. Apparently, as the story goes, otherwise he wanted Leonard in LA to play with LeBron James and Cousins ( before his injury).

dwiley20
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5755

1/27/2018  8:41 PM
Spurs aint accepting a deal without KP..Facts!
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/27/2018  9:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/27/2018  9:20 PM
dwiley20 wrote:Spurs aint accepting a deal without KP..Facts!

Knicks aren't accepting a deal if the spurs want kp...

FACTS!!!!!!

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TLover
Member: #381
USA
1/27/2018  9:27 PM
What’s the deal with Leonard’s health? If the dude checks out medically then outside of giving up KP, you try to get him, if available.

Frank, Willy & multiple picks would be worth it for this type of player who’s still in his 20s.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/27/2018  11:36 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:Not saying K. Leonard is a bad player but he may be a product of his environment.

I would love to see how he does with another organization...just not the Knicks. Let that experiment happen somewhere else

Here's what I've heard recently, and in the past, regarding Leonard, from guys I still know around the league.

A) When Al Horford was a Hawk but close to FA, the Spurs recruited him heavily. They had a "handshake" deal that he'd sign with the Spurs. This was however quite a bit of time before he became a FA.

B) In the "bridge year", the Spurs signed LaMarcus Aldridge. Aldridge's agent warned him about signing as such, as it was clear once the Spurs had Horford, they would trade LMA and use that as a new core (Leonard/Horford/Assets from LMA trade) LMA signed anyway as he thought it was his best chance at a ring, and Duncan stayed one more year.

C) Horford went to the Celtics. No one expected that. The Spurs, weighing it out, doubled down on Pau Gasol because they needed a true center and kept onto LMA, since his trade value had gone up and down and was not stable and they needed the talent base as they knew FAs just didn't want to come to SA. Duncan retired accordingly.

To be fair, though Horford has had a nice year this year so far, he's regressed.

Once Horford ended up a Celtic, the writing was on the wall. The Spurs would still be a playoff team, but would not have the asset base to actually contend. Leonard doesn't fit their timeline.

D) Leonard's uncle is apparently a massive problem. As the rumor goes, he's asked for and demanded a prominent position in the Spurs front office. Apparently, as the story goes, otherwise he wanted Leonard in LA to play with LeBron James and Cousins ( before his injury).

Thanks, interesting

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TripleThreat

1/28/2018  3:56 AM
TLover wrote:What’s the deal with Leonard’s health?

Dinged shoulder.

He can't have it both ways. He wants to be traded. The Spurs don't want him to get hurt so he can't be traded. Typical "NBA Star" BS, where they do one thing, get angry about it, then expect it to be something else immediately.

It's ultimately a cap/contract problem. Leonard is signed for next season, but 2019 is a player option ( he's a max player, so even in a tight market, he'd get paid) LMA is signed for the next three years, Danny Green and Rudy Gay expire next year, Patty Mills and Pau Gasol for several more years.

LMA - 22/23
Danny Green - 10
Rudy Gay - 9
Pau Gasol - 16
Patty Mills - 11/12

Tony Parker's 15 comes off the books after this year.

Treadmill Western team with no chance to get better next year. They are at the cap and Gay used up their mid level exception. Leonard needs to be traded this offseason at the latest. He will likely be back after the All Star break.

Team front offices, when asked, told the Spurs, don't let Tracy McGrady onto your roster. They did, and look what happened. Leonard is basically pulling a "Tracy McGrady" ( i.e. dog it with phantom injuries to get out of town, then blame the franchise for sitting) McGrady might be one of the biggest POS people in all of professional sports.

Long term, it's not a horrible thing. Pops uses his bench more than most high level coaches, to prepare them for critical playoff roles. Also he just likes to piss off the league by sitting his guys when the leagues marketing demands otherwise.

Leonard wants out. He wants to win. The allure of a super max ( more than 200 million) down the road won't do it for him apparently. The Spurs also are tired of him and his uncle. The problem with Pops is he's actually a gigantic @sshole himself. He has a rep that many people like, but he's actually his own version of a difficult personality. This worked with Duncan because Pops could always be the biggest @sshole in the room. Well, you can't have a room with Leonard, his uncle and Pops in it ( Three @ssholes all trying to be the biggest one there)

Leonard is like a wife who is living a comfortable life and in her early 40s who decides to be "Free" and get divorced and realizes it's not the paradise one imagined. You had a nice house, a cushy life, didn't have to work, got to do mostly what you wanted. But you had to have occasional starfish sex with some simp/schlub with a good pension. So now she's in an apartment with three other cat ladies, having to work a lousy job, even with the alimony, and realizes no one wants rode hard used goods in the dating market. Once Leonard gets free, odds are only then will he realizes how good he had it in SA. He's from the LA area, so go ahead you idiot, play with LeGM and see how that works.

The problem with the sports culture is people in general forget that professional athletes are just people too. And many of them are idiots. Tony Parker could bang 20 different hot women a day in Texas, but he had to nail Brent Barry's wife. How did he think that would end? Idiot. Of course without that idiocy, the Spurs would have never traded George Hill and Leonard would have never been a Spur/NBA Champion/Finals MVP.

Kawhi Leonard. Future cat lady. Idiot.

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

1/28/2018  12:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/28/2018  12:38 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

I certainly appreciate that insight but it is definitely a lot to process. It sounds like what you suggest was commonplace knowledge at the time in the league, so:

1.) Why would a asset-strapped team like the Hawks hold onto Al Horford rather than trade him at the deadline? Even if the offer was a bull**** first round pick, it was better than nothing.

2.) What was LaMarcus' motivation for signing with the Spurs if he knew he could potentially end up on any other team in the league? And what was it that the Spurs realistically presumed they could get for a mid-range shooter, with questionable rebounding and defensive skills? I don't remember there being much of a market for LaMarcus outside of the Spurs, Knicks and Blazers....and even a team as pathetic as the Knicks opted not to even meet with him in the end. So I felt any return for LaMarcus would've been modest at best, especially when you consider his reputation for being a diva.

3.) Is Kawhi, really Kawhi? I know he's a talented player but the Spurs are such an impressive organization that I think they generate value where there is none. Look at guys like George Hill, Jonathan Simmons and the like post-Spurs to see how their value nosedives once they leave. Kawhi is obviously significantly better than the aforementioned but I do wonder how much of his game is merely a mirage. What do you think the Spurs can get for him in a trade?

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

1/28/2018  12:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/28/2018  12:39 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Dinged shoulder.

He can't have it both ways. He wants to be traded. The Spurs don't want him to get hurt so he can't be traded. Typical "NBA Star" BS, where they do one thing, get angry about it, then expect it to be something else immediately.

It's ultimately a cap/contract problem. Leonard is signed for next season, but 2019 is a player option ( he's a max player, so even in a tight market, he'd get paid) LMA is signed for the next three years, Danny Green and Rudy Gay expire next year, Patty Mills and Pau Gasol for several more years.

LMA - 22/23
Danny Green - 10
Rudy Gay - 9
Pau Gasol - 16
Patty Mills - 11/12

Treadmill Western team with no chance to get better next year. They are at the cap and Gay used up their mid level exception. Leonard needs to be traded this offseason at the latest. He will likely be back after the All Star break.

Team front offices, when asked, told the Spurs, don't let Tracy McGrady onto your roster. They did, and look what happened. Leonard is basically pulling a "Tracy McGrady" ( i.e. dog it with phantom injuries to get out of town, then blame the franchise for sitting) McGrady might be one of the biggest POS people in all of professional sports.

Long term, it's not a horrible thing. Pops uses his bench more than most high level coaches, to prepare them for critical playoff roles. Also he just likes to piss off the league by sitting his guys when the leagues marketing demands otherwise.

Leonard wants out. He wants to win. The allure of a super max ( more than 200 million) down the road won't do it for him apparently. The Spurs also are tired of him and his uncle. The problem with Pops is he's actually a gigantic @sshole himself. He has a rep that many people like, but he's actually his own version of a difficult personality. This worked with Duncan because Pops could always be the biggest @sshole in the room. Well, you can't have a room with Leonard, his uncle and Pops in it ( Three @ssholes all trying to be the biggest one there)

Leonard is like a wife who is living a comfortable life and in her early 40s who decides to be "Free" and get divorced and realizes it's not the paradise one imagined. You had a nice house, a cushy life, didn't have to work, got to do mostly what you wanted. But you had to have occasional starfish sex with some simp/schlub with a good pension. So now she's in an apartment with three other cat ladies, having to work a lousy job, even with the alimony, and realizes no one wants rode hard used goods in the dating market. Once Leonard gets free, odds are only then will he realizes how good he had it in SA. He's from the LA area, so go ahead you idiot, play with LeGM and see how that works.

The problem with the sports culture is people in general forget that professional athletes are just people too. And many of them are idiots. Tony Parker could bang 20 different hot women a day in Texas, but he had to nail Brent Barry's wife. How did he think that would end? Idiot. Of course without that idiocy, the Spurs would have never traded George Hill and Leonard would have never been a Spur/NBA Champion/Finals MVP.

What was the Spurs' motivation for doing what they did this offseason? It felt so ill-advised. They committed so much long-term money to players that are advanced in age and play a style that is no longer en-vogue. Was this all an attempt to try to placate Kawhi by keeping them competitive? Because I felt they could have done so much more with that cap space to build their asset base.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/28/2018  12:43 PM
Interesting takes.
Kawhai painted as a humble quiet hard working kid with little ego. Did not know of the uncle.
Pop we know is an ass, but a belichek winning ass with a pretty good moral compass.
I'd just as soon roll the dice with KP. So far he has not missed too many games (He ain't the only allstar missing games BTW) and while the team is not what we have hoped, he is progressing nice.
Kawhai is a top 2 way player in this league but I don't know if you add all the above and put that in NYC media crunch how that works longer term.
TripleThreat

1/28/2018  8:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/28/2018  8:36 PM
NardDogNation wrote:1.) Why would a asset-strapped team like the Hawks hold onto Al Horford rather than trade him at the deadline? Even if the offer was a bull**** first round pick, it was better than nothing.

2.) What was LaMarcus' motivation for signing with the Spurs if he knew he could potentially end up on any other team in the league?

3.) What do you think the Spurs can get for him in a trade?

It's a fair question, and one I'm guessing comes up since the Hawks let DeMarre Carroll walk, then traded Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver. The question will tend to repeat itself when you also consider Paul Millsap also walked instead of being traded.

While the Hawks ownership and front office knew Millsap would walk, there was still very strong feelings from the ownership group that Horford would stay a Hawk. He had been drafted by the franchise and spent 9 seasons there. As the story goes, Grant Hill urged trading him as it was clear that Horford was going to end up a Spur ( or elsewhere) However, in any group ownership situation, there is always one owner who has final decision making power ( This is very controversial with the Bucks, but that's for another thread I suppose), and Tony Ressler decided it was better for the franchise to make a playoff run as deep as possible and then hope for the best in the offseason. Grant Hill is looking at winning considerations, he's a former player. Ressler was looking at marketing considerations, which is valid, but different. The Knicks are a "cash rich" team. Most NY teams are cash rich teams, so it's hard to sometimes relate to other fanbases and franchises that they NEED to sell more tickets and sell more sponsorship revenue and to get to the playoffs to cover their operating costs. Atlanta is a franchise that struggles badly to maintain functional attendance. Some of it is the demographic breakdown of the region, part of it is there is no "signature" star to build the marketing around ( which is why guys like Westbrook and Harden can basically hold their teams hostage)

One of the push/pulls came in that the Over 36 Rule was something the NBAPA had long discussed changing to the Over 38 Rule in negotiations. Horford is in the 2nd year of a four year deal ( 4/113) He's 31 now. Once his Celtics contract ends, he's in line to squeeze in one more max contract, if possible, not just max amount, but max length and slide under the revised Rule. Ressler decided on his own NOT to offer Horford the five year possible max ( 5/150+) and instead offered 5/135+) Ressler wanted Horford to take a discount for the team, the AAV was only slight less than the Celtics offer. On the surface, it looks like Horford gave up guaranteed money to win, a nice safe narrative, but he was looking at his NEXT CONTRACT after this one. He gave up that 5th year, but he opened up a few more options and he went into a near contender situation. The Jeff Teague trade provided him some soft media cover that the Hawks were not really trying. The reality was that Dennis Schroeder was emerging and cheaper and Teague was in clear decline. To be fair to the Hawks, they are a really well run team for the most part. They do a good job of drafting and player development and they make tough decisions all the time that mostly tend to work out.

"Cash Poor" teams have to really consider the marketing aspect at times more than the winning aspect. It's an ugly part of the business but it's not as simple sometimes to see all ownership as greedy and idiotic. There's a saying that has always been true in business, even the NBA, a "fast nickel is better than a slow dime". No one could predict that the cap would spike WITHOUT some kind of smoothing option. Once it did, stupid contracts got handed out, but unintended side impacts happened, like Durant to GSW and Boston able to get Horford and Gordon Hayward in consecutive offseasons.

LMA would get paid and get a chance to quasi-contend. It was about that simple for him. The Spurs have pursued a few FAs in the past and were spurned. Sometimes you get rejected enough (Yes even the Spurs) and that muffin top at 2am in the bar looks good to you. The push for SA was the question if they could move LMA at worst, for some expirings just to shed his contract. If they wanted to just give him away, I think they could do that. To be fair, LMA wasn't totally blind here, that he might be a one year stopgap for the Spurs, but he bet on himself and decided today is today, tomorrow is uncertain. In that regard with Horford, he was right, Horford went elsewhere. Horford was never going to stay a Hawk. He says otherwise in public, but it was pretty much an open secret in the league he was wed to the Spurs. Some of this discussion is also to prevent tampering allegation from surfacing. Tampering happens everywhere. Everyone does it. All the time. Yes, even the Spurs.

In a full on rebuild, the Spurs would need a couple of top 5 picks. Would they get them? I don't know. But they never pick that high in the draft and they'd need a new set of franchise core players. My best guess is for the Knicks to get Leonard, it would cost Zinger, Ntilikina, their unprotected first this year, and they'd have to take in Pau Gasol's contract as well. How the salary match would work, I don't know, because I don't think it could work ( The Spurs would not want Noah nor Kanter nor Lee) It would almost imply THJr would have to go as well to try to balance out the salaries. Odds are it would need to be a three team deal and there's not enough on the Knicks roster after that to entice another team.

It's just not a fit for the Knicks and Spurs.

Again, this discussion opens up a deep dive into the Bucks situation. Wes Edens, Marc Lasry and Jamie Dinan along with the Greek Freak is a pretty interesting narrative to follow. I've seen some truly f**ked things in the NFL, in my time, but nothing like that. You could get some of those b*tches from one of those Real Housewives show to head to the Bucks headquarters and have them run from the building, screaming how it's too much drama even for them.

NardDogNation wrote:What was the Spurs' motivation for doing what they did this offseason? It felt so ill-advised. They committed so much long-term money to players that are advanced in age and play a style that is no longer en-vogue. Was this all an attempt to try to placate Kawhi by keeping them competitive? Because I felt they could have done so much more with that cap space to build their asset base.

Steve Kerr, when he was a former GM ( many people forget he also wore that hat in his career), said something interesting once in an interview. He said teams and their front offices know they are making decisions that will get them fired down the road, but it's down the road, without making any move to get better, you'll get fired right now.

RC Buford has near lifelong job security at this point. But again, the Spurs are not a cash rich team. They need that playoff revenue and previous NBA modern history has shown from a profit standpoint, holding as long as you can to a "franchise run" even in decline, is often the better bottom line decision. Mark Cuban and the Mavs are sort of in the same spot. They could tank and trade off everything, but it's not always so simple to do that. The tipping point seems to be if your "Franchise Player" is a functional team leader and responsible person in general or not. If you have a Westbrook and/or Harden situation, your team is being held hostage. When it's a Tim Duncan or Dirk situation, it's not such a hard pill to take.

The Spurs knew they would not contend, but wanted to put a marketable product on the floor. If you can't win a ring, and most teams just can't no matter what they do, at least don't lose money doing it. The Hawks signed Dwight Howard with this in mind. He wasn't going to push the needle for them, but he was a lingering "name" who offered just enough value to take a risk. The Designated Player Max Extension option was designed with teams like Atlanta in mind. You won't contend, but maybe you can hold onto a marketable franchise core to stabilize your team's financial path.

As this applies the to the Knicks, they are a CASH RICH team. While it seems tanking would be harder for them, it's a just easier path to a rebuild. They are in a rare situation where even a pretty horrible team, the tickets will keep selling.

When I discuss teams doing the best "market based decision", I'm referring to a team trying to win above all else, given the landscape of the behavior of all 30 teams.

When I discuss team making the best "marketing decision", I'm referring to a team trying to just keep butts in the seats and cover their operating costs. Ownership of a pro sports franchise is rarely for generating a revenue, it's a "status" issue. It's usually a loss leader to open up other life/business opportunities. Again, very few teams are like the Knicks and Lakers, where the money flows strong enough where you can actually make the winning based decisions, even with some short term financial hits in place.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/2/2018  6:33 AM
Would y'all do Willy, Noah and the 2018 first rounder for Kawhi ?????
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/2/2018  6:52 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

Dinged shoulder.

LMA - 22/23
Danny Green - 10
Rudy Gay - 9
Pau Gasol - 16
Patty Mills - 11/12

Hah, I enjoyed this, rode hard used goods.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Kawahi Leonard a Knick? How?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy