Member: #1406

1/18/2018  1:45 PM
fishmike wrote:
VCoug wrote:
fishmike wrote:
VCoug wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:Man Stanley is quite brutal on offense and doesn't seem to have improved his shooting at all but I have never watched him play.

Wouldnt give up the pick unless I was super confident Stanley was both a lock-down guy and at least a learner

I haven't watched him much either but his shooting percentages are awful.

Isn't that the case for most defensive players

Not really for wings and guards. The only guys I can think of in recent memory that got regular minutes on good teams are Marcus Smart and Tony Allen and Tony Allen was nearly unplayable in the playoffs.

He's gonna have to shoot better. His offense needs fixing but there is a lot to work with at 21 for the cost of KOQ

I feel like we should be getting something a little better than Johnson for KOQ. His offense so brutally bad and I don't think his defense is at a level to make up for it.

would you prefer a late #1 from a playoff team? My thought is this. I know he can defend in the NBA at a high level. My thought process is getting his offense to the point of serviceable is an easier task than finding a rotation player after 25 with similar impact.

SJ is 21.. if you can get his shooting #s in the low 40% zone like Ariza you have a really valuable piece.
next year:
Frank 20
KP 22
SJ 21

We still have our own pick to bring in someone as well.

I sure have no problem with a better offer. Im not sure how stockpiling later picks helps much though. We saw with Boston they had all these "assets" but really they were just young guys who werent very good. I am good with some, but too many isnt good. We also have Dotson in that mix as well.

I actually would rather have a late 1st. You're talking about Boston have young guys who weren't very good but that also describes Stanley Johnson. He was a guy I didn't like coming out of college and has done nothing in the NBA to convince me otherwise.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/18/2018  4:16 PM
VCoug wrote:
fishmike wrote:
VCoug wrote:
fishmike wrote:
VCoug wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:Man Stanley is quite brutal on offense and doesn't seem to have improved his shooting at all but I have never watched him play.

Wouldnt give up the pick unless I was super confident Stanley was both a lock-down guy and at least a learner

I haven't watched him much either but his shooting percentages are awful.

Isn't that the case for most defensive players

Not really for wings and guards. The only guys I can think of in recent memory that got regular minutes on good teams are Marcus Smart and Tony Allen and Tony Allen was nearly unplayable in the playoffs.

He's gonna have to shoot better. His offense needs fixing but there is a lot to work with at 21 for the cost of KOQ

I feel like we should be getting something a little better than Johnson for KOQ. His offense so brutally bad and I don't think his defense is at a level to make up for it.

would you prefer a late #1 from a playoff team? My thought is this. I know he can defend in the NBA at a high level. My thought process is getting his offense to the point of serviceable is an easier task than finding a rotation player after 25 with similar impact.

SJ is 21.. if you can get his shooting #s in the low 40% zone like Ariza you have a really valuable piece.
next year:
Frank 20
KP 22
SJ 21

We still have our own pick to bring in someone as well.

I sure have no problem with a better offer. Im not sure how stockpiling later picks helps much though. We saw with Boston they had all these "assets" but really they were just young guys who werent very good. I am good with some, but too many isnt good. We also have Dotson in that mix as well.

I actually would rather have a late 1st. You're talking about Boston have young guys who weren't very good but that also describes Stanley Johnson. He was a guy I didn't like coming out of college and has done nothing in the NBA to convince me otherwise.

fair enough. Im higher on him than you are. A piece of info that we dont have is on Dotson. We dont know what he's shown or hasnt shown. However they are physically very different.... SJ is 6'6 with a 7 foot wingspan. Dotson is more a typical NBA SG at 6'5/6'9 and I like the idea of having them together long term. We will see who pans out!
Next year:
PG Frank(20)
SG Dotson(24)
SF Johnson (22)
SF KP (23)

THjr is a nice player. Im not a Baker believer myself. But my point is I want to build up the roster with longer defensive player over time.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
1/18/2018  4:37 PM
When I watch Stanley Johnson highlights from college, he always looked like the biggest, most athletic guy on the floor.

A bit like Jae Crowder, Chris Porter (former Auburn superstar)... or heck, Jerry Stackhouse - the college versions of themselves. Supremely athletic/tough bully types, sort of playing PF with wing-type bodies.

Of this bunch, Crowder has evolved into a decent NBA starter, Stackhouse became a 2-time all-star.

NBADraft.net compared him to Kawhi Leonard and Ron Artest in their scouting report. Nice comps...but I don't know if he has NBA-quality skills, at least at this stage.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
90sKnicks
Member: #6452

1/18/2018  11:16 PM
Original poster lost credibility when he referred to KP as an elite defender. Elite shot blocker/rim protector, sure. Elite defender not even close. I wouldn't even call him an above average defender
V
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/18/2018  11:23 PM
90sKnicks wrote:Original poster lost credibility when he referred to KP as an elite defender. Elite shot blocker/rim protector, sure. Elite defender not even close. I wouldn't even call him an above average defender
V

Why? His FG% against around the rim is one of the best in the league.

How do you rate defenders and what quantifies KP as a good or not good defender outside of you just saying it?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/19/2018  12:37 AM
technomaster wrote:When I watch Stanley Johnson highlights from college, he always looked like the biggest, most athletic guy on the floor.

A bit like Jae Crowder, Chris Porter (former Auburn superstar)... or heck, Jerry Stackhouse - the college versions of themselves. Supremely athletic/tough bully types, sort of playing PF with wing-type bodies.

Of this bunch, Crowder has evolved into a decent NBA starter, Stackhouse became a 2-time all-star.

NBADraft.net compared him to Kawhi Leonard and Ron Artest in their scouting report. Nice comps...but I don't know if he has NBA-quality skills, at least at this stage.

damn how much traveling did they let this guy get away with in college?

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/19/2018  7:45 AM
90sKnicks wrote:Original poster lost credibility when he referred to KP as an elite defender. Elite shot blocker/rim protector, sure. Elite defender not even close. I wouldn't even call him an above average defender
V
have you watched the NBA since the 90s? If you dont think KP is at best an average defender Im going to go with no
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/19/2018  8:48 AM
V

Sorry but you're completely wrong. Porzingis leads the league in defensive FG% at the rim and block shots. He doesn't get in foul trouble anymore and doesn't get burned on the perimeter as much as he used to. As far as big men go, he is the definition of elite defensive player. Watch some Knicks basketball. All you had to do is watch the Memphis game. We lost of course, but KP completely controlled the game on the defensive end.

Welpee
Member: #6239

1/19/2018  9:20 AM
EnySpree wrote:Stanley and Winslow... 2 guys we almost drafted ahead of KP. Neither guy will be in the league after their contracts are up the way they are playing. Not worth giving up draft picks for... but there was a guy that needed a scenery change its Stanley Johnson
I know those were two guys Stephen A. Smith wanted us to draft but did WE actually seriously consider them?
VCoug
Member: #1406

1/19/2018  1:04 PM
Welpee wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Stanley and Winslow... 2 guys we almost drafted ahead of KP. Neither guy will be in the league after their contracts are up the way they are playing. Not worth giving up draft picks for... but there was a guy that needed a scenery change its Stanley Johnson
I know those were two guys Stephen A. Smith wanted us to draft but did WE actually seriously consider them?

I personally loved Winslow coming out of college but I don't remember any reports or rumors that we were ever considering either. I remember KP, Mudia, and Kaminsky being the guys that we were supposedly going to draft.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Pistons got killed on the boards last night and lost at home to Cha

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy