[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

GameThread: MLK Day game @ Brooklyn
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/16/2018  1:15 AM
nixluva wrote:One thing about this game that I liked and hope to see again was that Jeff went SMALL and it REALLY opened up the paint. With KP or just KOQ as the C and Beaz at PF this team was able to really run Spread PnR to perfection.

It was effective against Brooklyn but was it effective because the Knicks went small or because Brooklyn didn't have any effective bigs to guard the paint?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/16/2018  1:40 AM
martin wrote:
nixluva wrote:One thing about this game that I liked and hope to see again was that Jeff went SMALL and it REALLY opened up the paint. With KP or just KOQ as the C and Beaz at PF this team was able to really run Spread PnR to perfection.

It was effective against Brooklyn but was it effective because the Knicks went small or because Brooklyn didn't have any effective bigs to guard the paint?

I agree,

ES
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
1/16/2018  2:05 AM
martin wrote:

That’s the thing. You don’t have to do it all the time just as a change up cuz teams get adjusted to the standard way the Knicks run their Offense. IMO the 4th Qtr swoons are a result of teams adjustments to the KP Post Ups etc. I think by going smaller and more aggressive with a faster tempo and Spread PnR could help solve the problem.

Even if the other teams have a Center it can still work to make teams cover much more ground which can open up more 3 pt shots and driving lanes. It’s gonna be interesting to see what Jeff does.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/16/2018  6:46 AM
martin wrote:

I think there is no doubt that you need spacing, Martin. And you just don't get it with Kanter, KP, Lance Thomas. Lance refuses to shoot. No one cares about him. Kanter is not a threat outside of the paint. He's ineffective as a passer. KP is also not a good passer from outside. Good offenses have a 5 or 4 that can knock down shots from outside, pass, create from there. When we start to look for KP on mismatches at 4, and Kanter is out there with him, it's really bad spacing much of the time.

Tim Hardaway can really get out and run, fill the wings. Frank can really push the ball. If we use more lineups where we have speed like that with KP at 5, I think our offense will be much better. Over the last month, we have had one of the three or four worst offenses in the league.

Must get quicker, more active on offense. Just like after last year we went out and focused on being more active on defense, now it's time to do that on offense. There's not a single good team on offense that would start Kanter, KP and Lance. Even if you look at Lance as a insurance for an injured Tim, it doesn't change that not a single good team on offense (Look at the top 5 to 10 teams on offense) would start Kanter at 5, KP at 4.

This is the sort of move that will both possibly save the season and develop players the right way moving forward into next year, even if it doesn't save the season. Ofcourse I expect the coaching staff to do nothing. Noah played outstanding against the Pelicans and has barely played since. It's inexcusable. He's a great passer from outside, excellent runner up the court, great defender, and yet Hornachek prefers to give zero defense, post up Kanter the playing time. I think it's about the front office as well. They made the Melo trade and want to make sure Kanter looks good. I just hope they aren't stupid enough to lock him in for a 3 or 4 year 20M a year deal type of deeal. It would be beyond stupid.

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

1/16/2018  8:20 AM
martin wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:
Marv wrote:frank played like this game after game in the euro league, especially as tournament play got torqued up. it was all available to see on video. it's obviously a huge adjustment to translate that effectiveness to the nba. he showed today he's got it, the next step is to up the consistency. similar to porzingis showing earlier in the year that he can be a top-10 player in the league but then showing he hasn't got the consistency yet to sustain it.

feel like Frank is at the same stage KP was as a rookie. Shows flashes, can't do it on a consistent basis but plenty of evidence to suggest he could.

IMHO sky is the limit for both guys as long as they work their game and body in offseason.

Not even close dude. KP was playing like a player that belonged in the NBA during his rookie season. The game Frank had today was a game KP was having every 2-3 games or so. Frank had a one in a bluemoon outing against a **** club. Frank is still years behind unless this game is start of a major turning point. Also, KP didn't have a negative WS48.

Though this comes off as harsh, that is not to say that Frank hasn't shown flashes every now and then and that he wont become a near triple double machine 4-5 years from now, but we have to keep our assesments honest.

PG position is much harder to fill into then just playing other positions. KP had a nice cushion with Melo, Lopez and even Afflalo to work with; he was at best the second option on the team or even third on offense. KP is also a year older than Frank when they entered league.

KP was doing more unicorny things at this stage and maybe it was more often, but really who cares? Maybe KP's potential is higher than Franks, but again who cares?

I feel like I've seen enough such that Frank will have the same jumps as KP did in second and third years.

Fair comment about KP being a year older and that the PG position is harder to fill but Frank is playing on a better team. He is playing with KP,Thjr, Lee, Kanter, a better KOQ and is surrounded by fantastic hardworking role players as well. The environment he is playing in is more supportive and less toxic.

To your “who cares” comment you are right in the sense that at the end of the day the most important thing that matters to a that Frank gets to where he is, but in terms of how long it takes to get there it most certainly matters Imo that KP showd a lot more flashes of what he was capable of relative to Frank.

I think Franks jump will be contingent on his feel for the game. If he can continue to be aggressive and not let his confidence sink every time he throws the ball away then sure

The Future is Bright!
Cartman718
Member: #1694

1/16/2018  9:19 AM
nixluva wrote:
blkexec wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:what a difference a trey (pressure) makes....

You guys are FUNNY! What F’n Pressure? Frank is gonna play and was not in danger of losing minutes today. Burke is hopefully going to be a nice addition but he wasn’t taking Frank’s spot.

so everyone including the commentator sees it but you??

You act like putting pressure on Nitty is a bad thing; it's not. It's good. Look at the way he's playing.

I haven't watched a single minite.....but I know basketball.....and usually I agree with nix....but have to disagree on this. Trey was a contributing factor in Frank's good play. Along with his coach and teammates and fans.....im sure everybody is in his ear. But it's good for Frank to play or see up close how penetration and shooting and being offensiveit aggressive can help the team at times.

Burke was coming REGARDLESS of Frank’s recent play. Frank has been a net positive all season while Burke is the one with something to prove. Frank was playing well in this game already before Burke’s minutes and Frank came back in on his normal rotation. Frank and Burke may actually play together going forward they’re both young guys who should figure into the plan for the future.

LOL funny.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718

1/16/2018  9:23 AM
martin wrote:Okafor must really suck if he can't even get minutes on a Brooklyn team without any effective bigs

he was dressed to play?? wow. that is bad. i am sure he's thinking what did i do (or did not do) to deserve this

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718

1/16/2018  9:36 AM
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:
Marv wrote:frank played like this game after game in the euro league, especially as tournament play got torqued up. it was all available to see on video. it's obviously a huge adjustment to translate that effectiveness to the nba. he showed today he's got it, the next step is to up the consistency. similar to porzingis showing earlier in the year that he can be a top-10 player in the league but then showing he hasn't got the consistency yet to sustain it.

feel like Frank is at the same stage KP was as a rookie. Shows flashes, can't do it on a consistent basis but plenty of evidence to suggest he could.

IMHO sky is the limit for both guys as long as they work their game and body in offseason.

Not even close dude. KP was playing like a player that belonged in the NBA during his rookie season. The game Frank had today was a game KP was having every 2-3 games or so. Frank had a one in a bluemoon outing against a **** club. Frank is still years behind unless this game is start of a major turning point. Also, KP didn't have a negative WS48.

Though this comes off as harsh, that is not to say that Frank hasn't shown flashes every now and then and that he wont become a near triple double machine 4-5 years from now, but we have to keep our assesments honest.

PG position is much harder to fill into then just playing other positions. KP had a nice cushion with Melo, Lopez and even Afflalo to work with; he was at best the second option on the team or even third on offense. KP is also a year older than Frank when they entered league.

KP was doing more unicorny things at this stage and maybe it was more often, but really who cares? Maybe KP's potential is higher than Franks, but again who cares?

I feel like I've seen enough such that Frank will have the same jumps as KP did in second and third years.

Fair comment about KP being a year older and that the PG position is harder to fill but Frank is playing on a better team. He is playing with KP,Thjr, Lee, Kanter, a better KOQ and is surrounded by fantastic hardworking role players as well. The environment he is playing in is more supportive and less toxic.

To your “who cares” comment you are right in the sense that at the end of the day the most important thing that matters to a that Frank gets to where he is, but in terms of how long it takes to get there it most certainly matters Imo that KP showd a lot more flashes of what he was capable of relative to Frank.

I think Franks jump will be contingent on his feel for the game. If he can continue to be aggressive and not let his confidence sink every time he throws the ball away then sure

To me, it looks like considering Frank didn't play much preseason and there was that injury he was dealing with, I think its not going to get substantially better for the rest of this season. I always get the impression from him that he is in..."this is year 1 of my nba career, so i am going to make sure i remain healthy, team goals are secondary"
If that is true, that approach is understandable, but this is a what have you done for me lately league. If he is too careful about his health, someone could easily steal that spot from him.

To me, driving to the hoop is something he must do every time he sees an opening. He's got the length to finish and pass out of the paint. Better than having TOs at the top of the key where the other team is already halfway down the court. If he has a TO in the paint, its still ok because there are other defenders back.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/16/2018  10:38 AM
martin wrote:Okafor must really suck if he can't even get minutes on a Brooklyn team without any effective bigs

Re-watching the game on Knicks Rewind. Okafor is horrible. He has no energy. He looks like he has given up.

NYKBocker
USA
1/16/2018  10:46 AM
Frank should have 12 assists. Those long passes to CLee and McBuckets were bunnies.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
1/16/2018  10:47 AM
Thomas is good for short stretches - or when he's surrounded by great players. He's a bit like Danny Green on San Antonio. Heck, Courtney Lee plays like Danny Green in a career year.

One thing that us Knick fans often forget is that we aren't the most talented, deepest team in the NBA. When ANY player in our rotation gets hurt, there's usually a pretty deep gap in talent/experience/readiness/2-wayness.

It's important to consider that several players we've relied on heavily this season are journeymen. It's a testament that our many of our players are having career years. The flipside of that is that they're playing at a higher level than they've ever been able to sustain.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
NYKBocker
USA
1/16/2018  10:47 AM
martin - How do you feel about Corey Gaines being curt With Rebecca?
nixluva
USA
1/16/2018  11:13 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
blkexec wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:what a difference a trey (pressure) makes....

You guys are FUNNY! What F’n Pressure? Frank is gonna play and was not in danger of losing minutes today. Burke is hopefully going to be a nice addition but he wasn’t taking Frank’s spot.

so everyone including the commentator sees it but you??

You act like putting pressure on Nitty is a bad thing; it's not. It's good. Look at the way he's playing.

I haven't watched a single minite.....but I know basketball.....and usually I agree with nix....but have to disagree on this. Trey was a contributing factor in Frank's good play. Along with his coach and teammates and fans.....im sure everybody is in his ear. But it's good for Frank to play or see up close how penetration and shooting and being offensiveit aggressive can help the team at times.

Burke was coming REGARDLESS of Frank’s recent play. Frank has been a net positive all season while Burke is the one with something to prove. Frank was playing well in this game already before Burke’s minutes and Frank came back in on his normal rotation. Frank and Burke may actually play together going forward they’re both young guys who should figure into the plan for the future.

LOL funny.

Before the recent slump the Knicks were a +1.7 on the year with Frank on the court despite his low scoring. The TEAM was better when he was on the floor. After the recent slump it dropped to a +0.8.
I suspect that a kid like Frank that is a relatively raw 19 yr old can and should improve but is going to have ups and downs.

It’s going to be interesting to see Frank develop more confidence on offense and to become less hesitant to attack more often.

martin
USA
1/16/2018  11:17 AM
NYKBocker wrote:martin - How do you feel about Corey Gaines being curt With Rebecca?

ha I missed it but he probably felt like he was starting to slobber his words and might accidentally hit on her on national TV and cutting off interview was the best option

martin
USA
1/16/2018  11:19 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:

To me, it looks like considering Frank didn't play much preseason and there was that injury he was dealing with, I think its not going to get substantially better for the rest of this season. I always get the impression from him that he is in..."this is year 1 of my nba career, so i am going to make sure i remain healthy, team goals are secondary"
If that is true, that approach is understandable, but this is a what have you done for me lately league. If he is too careful about his health, someone could easily steal that spot from him.

To me, driving to the hoop is something he must do every time he sees an opening. He's got the length to finish and pass out of the paint. Better than having TOs at the top of the key where the other team is already halfway down the court. If he has a TO in the paint, its still ok because there are other defenders back.

I feel the complete opposite. You gain understanding of role and team offense during training camp and it is especially so for first year players.

After missing training camp and preseason, Frank needed time to adjust, learn Knicks offense, learn NBA players and will soon show a bigger role. Maybe like post All-Star break if he doesn't hit a rookie wall.

Juliano
Member: #7589

1/16/2018  11:21 AM
Cartman718 wrote:To me, driving to the hoop is something he must do every time he sees an opening. He's got the length to finish and pass out of the paint. Better than having TOs at the top of the key where the other team is already halfway down the court. If he has a TO in the paint, its still ok because there are other defenders back.

He did go for that dunk and ended up on his arse. He's not physically mature enough to compete in the paint, he's gonna get battered there, I think that's why he's reluctant (and maybe the coaching staff as well). He looks like a kid that hasn't hit the weights yet, and rightly so. You shouldn't do it before you're through with growing, it's not good and can ultimately shorten one's career. I was skinny till I turned 20, then I went to the gym for two years and I think it was the perfect time since I haven't looked skinny since, even though I don't do any weightlifting anymore.

Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
1/16/2018  11:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/16/2018  11:53 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:

I know you missed the game but if you saw him go for a two handed dunk head to head with Allen, their biggest and best shot blocker, you wouldn’t think he was playing to stay healthy. It was pretty boss. He just plays with a more controlled pace than we’re used to seeing. He had been getting more aggressive and as our offense (KP and Timmy) get more keyed into by the opposing defenses it will open more lanes for him to drive.

nixluva
USA
1/16/2018  3:15 PM
Zebo13 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:

I know you missed the game but if you saw him go for a two handed dunk head to head with Allen, their biggest and best shot blocker, you wouldn’t think he was playing to stay healthy. It was pretty boss. He just plays with a more controlled pace than we’re used to seeing. He had been getting more aggressive and as our offense (KP and Timmy) get more keyed into by the opposing defenses it will open more lanes for him to drive.

The fear would be if Nitty wasn't quick enough or able to get to the rim or throw it down, but he's able to do these things so now it's about him getting stronger and being able to absorb contact and finish. Kid has got a BOY BODY right now. A lot of 19 yr olds do. Not everyone is Shaq or Lebron in terms of developing early.
Cartman718

1/16/2018  5:50 PM
Zebo13 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:

i didn't miss the whole game, i missed up to the point where 1 min later trey burke was benched.
1 play in half a season does not make it pretty boss.
Cartman718

1/16/2018  5:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/16/2018  5:56 PM
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:

I feel the complete opposite. You gain understanding of role and team offense during training camp and it is especially so for first year players.

After missing training camp and preseason, Frank needed time to adjust, learn Knicks offense, learn NBA players and will soon show a bigger role. Maybe like post All-Star break if he doesn't hit a rookie wall.

i dont think the all star break is going to do anything for him unless he decides every day of the break i am going to shoot 5000 jumpers in practice and from catching the ball to release 2 seconds or something like that. his speed at driving is much better than his speed of catch and shoot. he has to become a threat offensively otherwise this season is one of those nash rookie seasons that you referenced. We do not have the time to wait 4-5 years for him to become an elite starting PG...KP is growing in leaps and bounds each season and we need his PG to keep up with him.

GameThread: MLK Day game @ Brooklyn

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy