[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Timmy and Trey save the season
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
3/25/2018  10:46 PM
blkexec wrote:Timmy and Burke show

They might not save the season....but they will give fans optimism heading into the draft

especially with a new coach

ES
AUTOADVERT
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
3/26/2018  12:05 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
blkexec wrote:Timmy and Burke show

They might not save the season....but they will give fans optimism heading into the draft

especially with a new coach

And brand new dreams... to win today or at worst tomorrow...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

3/26/2018  11:19 AM
Burke looked like the real deal last night, he played defense too. Mudiay actually might excel as a back up as well, loved franks defense in the starting line up as well.

I like Lee coming off the bench in small spurts, it’s a position he is ment to be in. He is not starter material.

Back to Burke, the guy is really earning minutes and a starting role with this team. He played a major role in beating a good wiz team. He’s pretty easy to root for!

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/26/2018  11:28 AM
blkexec wrote:If only JH played Burke earlier......instead of Jack......Timmy and Trey would've saved the season.
you kidding? They might have won games! Our genius posters think coach should be fired after Trey Burke hit a game winner

My knock on Burke is his size and limited upside because of it. However his shooting has trended upward every year. I cant believe his shooting stats are sustainable. I mean Burke's per 36 are 22ppg, 7.5assist and 2TOs while shooting over 50%.

Thats all star caliber.

If you want Burke's play to stand you need to play him next to high caliber defensive players. You know... a guy who is 6-6 and can guard 3-4 positions, doesnt need the ball, can lock down the other team's scorer... hmmm.....

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/26/2018  11:35 AM
We do this all the time.
Guy does well, we lament: "Why didn't we do this sooner"?
Lets see, Did Trey even do this when he first got called up? No. he had to work into it. How did he do this?
Was there a plan? I think so. He signed with us instead of THunder where he might not have been given a season guarantee.
He choose to go to the Gleague. I can guess knicks made an offer to give him the keys to the team and playing time to work back to his best self and perhaps if certain criteria met he'd be called up and given minutes.
He has done very well. Knicks did very well. so lets not say "Why not", what about "Hooray!!" and be happy that knicks did this.
We won the second of a back to back. That's not a terrible thing either.
blkexec
Member: #748
3/26/2018  1:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/26/2018  1:21 PM
I don't think it matters right now if Burke is our starter or not. We just trying to rebuikd this roster with ballers. And Burke is a great addition for multiple reasons.

That statement about not playing Burke earlier is on the coaching staff. Burke only needed a mental change. As we saw in the gleague....he was physically ready and in shape to be a lead guard. He just needed time to mature.

Now that he's playing with his BFF.....Both parties are happy. And Frank is the best type of guard to play with burke......similar to Eric Snow and Iverson.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

3/26/2018  1:31 PM
fishmike wrote:
blkexec wrote:If only JH played Burke earlier......instead of Jack......Timmy and Trey would've saved the season.
you kidding? They might have won games! Our genius posters think coach should be fired after Trey Burke hit a game winner

My knock on Burke is his size and limited upside because of it. However his shooting has trended upward every year. I cant believe his shooting stats are sustainable. I mean Burke's per 36 are 22ppg, 7.5assist and 2TOs while shooting over 50%.

Thats all star caliber.

If you want Burke's play to stand you need to play him next to high caliber defensive players. You know... a guy who is 6-6 and can guard 3-4 positions, doesnt need the ball, can lock down the other team's scorer... hmmm.....

I get what you are saying about size, but Isaiah is smaller than Burke so its possible....We're locked into Timmy for some yrs so he will be the starting 2g for years to come. Dont like the idea of starting Burke/Frank and Timmy together...that makes us undersized at the 1 and 3...At this point, Franks ideal for coming off the bench as a defensive sparkplug....

If management believe in Burke, then we can focus on a SF during the draft....

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/26/2018  1:40 PM
I like our young group - but none of them (Burke, Frank, Mudiay) are really quality level starters.

I love Trey and wish he had started sooner- but to start next season with him as our starting PG, I think he would get exposed. But that is ok because we're still going to be a lottery team next year.

knicks1248
Member: #582
3/26/2018  1:58 PM
franco12 wrote:I like our young group - but none of them (Burke, Frank, Mudiay) are really quality level starters.

I love Trey and wish he had started sooner- but to start next season with him as our starting PG, I think he would get exposed. But that is ok because we're still going to be a lottery team next year.

Expose how, if he's not getting exposed now, why would he next season. To me unless the knicks draft another pg (trae or sexton) he is a shoe in to start

ES
fishmike
USA
3/26/2018  3:29 PM
franco12 wrote:I like our young group - but none of them (Burke, Frank, Mudiay) are really quality level starters.

Not yet, no... But Burke's shooting #s have gone up every year. Right now he's in an elite sphere and I think most assume that is not sustainable.

But what if it is? Burke isnt just a scorer. We are seeing more than that. Starting with a guy who can take care of the ball set up teammates nicely. If your PG is shooting a high %, has few TOs, creates scoring and space... guess what, he's a quality level starter.

Sometimes guys take time. Reggie Jackson was another. 3-4 years in and 25 years old could certainly be a maturing point for a PG in the NBA. How great would it be if that is the case with Burke? I mean what are we seeing that is not sustainable?

I think what he's earning now is a chance to be in the mix. If the Knicks take a PG in the draft it will be Sexton, Trey Young or SGA. Its also possible Khyri Thomas is this year's Donovan Mitchell. It will be interesting to see if/how he tests athletically. Any way... the point is even if we draft a PG next year there is no reason they would clearly start over Burke unless they deserved to.

Maybe we make a trade but I bet you Burke is next year's starting PG and thats fine until something better comes along, or maybe he is the better.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/26/2018  3:38 PM
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Thats all star caliber.

I get what you are saying about size, but Isaiah is smaller than Burke so its possible....We're locked into Timmy for some yrs so he will be the starting 2g for years to come. Dont like the idea of starting Burke/Frank and Timmy together...that makes us undersized at the 1 and 3...At this point, Franks ideal for coming off the bench as a defensive sparkplug....

Burke has a long wingspan for his height. 6'5 I believe which should help him some on d.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
fishmike
USA
3/26/2018  3:46 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Thats all star caliber.

Burke has a long wingspan for his height. 6'5 I believe which should help him some on d.
they started that last night, much of the time Frank ended up guarding Porter and really limited him from getting anything.

We are a way from worrying about mixing players... we are still working on getting them and I am curbing my enthusiasm but I think we might have a good find in Burke

blkexec
3/26/2018  4:09 PM
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Thats all star caliber.

they started that last night, much of the time Frank ended up guarding Porter and really limited him from getting anything.

We are a way from worrying about mixing players... we are still working on getting them and I am curbing my enthusiasm but I think we might have a good find in Burke

No question.....Put it this way, if Burke was playing like this before last years draft, would the knicks have selected Frank, who was and still is a work in progress. I'm guessing no....Burke isn't an allstar and doesn't carry the starter label anymore. But I believe Burke and Mudiay will push each other and hold down the position well.

There are other holes we need to fill and decisions to make. Is Kanter a starting center? My main concern is not Burkes defense....It's a collection of players defense like Kanter, who's not a shot blocker. KP is near the 3 pt line.....Burke is defending the guards.

But as Fish said, it's way too early to start playing the who's starting game. Right now, the goal is to collect a group of ballers that can play. Mudiay hasn't come close to my expectations, but he has a skill that we are lacking.....Attacking the rim. He also has a skill we are lacking....Shooting (Mudiay).

Burke may be undersized, but the days or Gary Paton and Mark Jackson are over. There aren't any low post PG these days. It's all about quickness, lateral movements and defensive IQ. I think Burke has all 3 from what I've seen. On top of that, he fits the typical PG in a big city look. Plays hard, has a chip on his shoulder.....And he's playing with his boy, under the bright lights. Bringing Burke back is an easy decision.....As far as Burke being the starter next year, that's a fall back plan, which isn't bad. Better than throwing Frank to the wolves as a starter.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/26/2018  4:20 PM
blkexec wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Thats all star caliber.

No question.....Put it this way, if Burke was playing like this before last years draft, would the knicks have selected Frank, who was and still is a work in progress. I'm guessing no....Burke isn't an allstar and doesn't carry the starter label anymore. But I believe Burke and Mudiay will push each other and hold down the position well.

There are other holes we need to fill and decisions to make. Is Kanter a starting center? My main concern is not Burkes defense....It's a collection of players defense like Kanter, who's not a shot blocker. KP is near the 3 pt line.....Burke is defending the guards.

But as Fish said, it's way too early to start playing the who's starting game. Right now, the goal is to collect a group of ballers that can play. Mudiay hasn't come close to my expectations, but he has a skill that we are lacking.....Attacking the rim. He also has a skill we are lacking....Shooting (Mudiay).

Burke may be undersized, but the days or Gary Paton and Mark Jackson are over. There aren't any low post PG these days. It's all about quickness, lateral movements and defensive IQ. I think Burke has all 3 from what I've seen. On top of that, he fits the typical PG in a big city look. Plays hard, has a chip on his shoulder.....And he's playing with his boy, under the bright lights. Bringing Burke back is an easy decision.....As far as Burke being the starter next year, that's a fall back plan, which isn't bad. Better than throwing Frank to the wolves as a starter.

Burke has been very impressive and provides us that playmaker we desperately need. He can be a nice match with KP too. Mudiay concerns me, as he has been really bad on both ends, but it matters less now. Burke and Frank can both hold down the PG position and can play alongside each other due to Frank's defensive versatility.

blkexec
3/26/2018  6:06 PM
Knixkik wrote:
blkexec wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Thats all star caliber.

Burke has been very impressive and provides us that playmaker we desperately need. He can be a nice match with KP too. Mudiay concerns me, as he has been really bad on both ends, but it matters less now. Burke and Frank can both hold down the PG position and can play alongside each other due to Frank's defensive versatility.

Thats the benefit of having a 19 yr old PG, with the size to guard the 2. It's crazy to believe he's only 19 when you look at his defensive skill set now, without the NBA weight lifting drug program he will get in the off season.

Mudiay concerned be a little too, but I think JH gave him a fair amount of starter minutes to evaluate him. And still have another year to get a better look after he gets back into shape....Remember he lost his minutes in denver, and since hes not the smartest player, it will take him time to adjust and accept his role (attacking slashing transision guard). I think he can add some positive energy off the bench, in JH guard friendly system.

Burke NEEDS to play with a chip on his shoulder, or he will look like any other PG off the street, because he's below average NBA height. From what I've seen of players around 6ft....If you not doing something special, you will not last in this league. So Burkes scoring and play making must be consistent. And NY is the perfect environment for him, because he responds well to that type of fan and media pressure. I think he got relaxed in Utah, and coundn't handle rejection (unlike Frank who actually got better with more guards) when Utah drafted / added another guard. Now he's hungry and ready to play any position (start or bench)...I guess playing in the G league, watching his boy sign a 72 mil contract....must have woke him up....lol. He will also come cheaper than most FA's because he has no leverage.

He also has a real chance at the 6th man award, if JH brings him off the bench. I know that sounds like a stretch, and Burke needs everything to line up in his favor. But in the right system, I believe Burke has that type of skill set right now, to come in and impact the game with his offense (scoring or passing). Eitherway, it's a win win for Burke and the knicks, regardless if he starts or comes off the bench. This makes up for the lower draft position, because you rarely see a lottery team stock pile young talent (during the season) without trading away the future.

blkexec
3/26/2018  9:38 PM
I've talked Burke up for a while....and I missed his breakout game? 32 and 9? really???
fishmike
USA
3/26/2018  9:39 PM
blkexec wrote:I've talked Burke up for a while....and I missed his breakout game? 32 and 9? really???
try 42 and 12 and only 2 TOs

funny after what we were saying today

blkexec
3/26/2018  11:53 PM
fishmike wrote:
blkexec wrote:I've talked Burke up for a while....and I missed his breakout game? 32 and 9? really???

Did it really take him to put up those numbers b4 knicks fans woke up. I don't trust our management...but Perry is a different culture and has connections with burke. I doubt we lose him.....Another solid find at a low cost.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/27/2018  12:19 AM
blkexec wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Did it really take him to put up those numbers b4 knicks fans woke up. I don't trust our management...but Perry is a different culture and has connections with burke. I doubt we lose him.....Another solid find at a low cost.

You don't have to trust them yet. That takes time. But they got some secret sauce brewing and we can at least revel in the reeducation of Burke as a knick!!!!
The culture begins somewhere.

Timmy and Trey save the season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy