Briggs, you are so wrong about this team
Author Thread
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/10/2018  11:28 PM
Stop with the Isiiah Thomas threads!!!

I've seen this team play out like this, and my hunch is next year and the future is bright. I can't remember where I saw a young team lose a lot of close games, and the next year they start to win those. Maybe it was early Ewing.

This isn't blind fanacticism like nixluva. This is a legit belief that next year, we start to win these games.

I am confident in our FO. Confident that these players- this core group we can debate- will continue to grow, and next year, we start to see them win these close games.

We've seen flashes. We need more depth, more discipline, yes, more talent.

But, Briggs, you are wrong. This group is the group that becomes a winning franchise, and we don't need no starphuchs!

AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
1/10/2018  11:49 PM
Health is always the biggest factor but this is a playoff team next year as it stands. We need to add one or two playmakers and they don't have to be big pieces. Just incremental changes and having this group grow together can make all the difference. I'm expecting Dotson to become a rotation player next season and frank to grow into a starter. We can add a wing in the draft and see where that puts us.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/11/2018  12:31 AM
franco12 wrote:Stop with the Isiiah Thomas threads!!!

I've seen this team play out like this, and my hunch is next year and the future is bright. I can't remember where I saw a young team lose a lot of close games, and the next year they start to win those. Maybe it was early Ewing.

This isn't blind fanacticism like nixluva. This is a legit belief that next year, we start to win these games.

I am confident in our FO. Confident that these players- this core group we can debate- will continue to grow, and next year, we start to see them win these close games.

But, Briggs, you are wrong. This group is the group that becomes a winning franchise, and we don't need no starphuchs!

Yeah were losing close games to bad teams. Stars win in this league--weve been relying on Mike Beasley to be our best player for 6 weeks--is that sustainable? Who's younger players look better--the Bulls or Knicks?

Remember we were carried by Jack Beasley and Lee --only young guy who played good was KP. And you saw a player on Chicago who is if not as good but maybe better than KP.

This team needs a star--its not a starpuch to get a great player in free agency--weve never had as good a player as Isiah

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
1/11/2018  12:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/11/2018  12:40 AM
Knixkik wrote:Health is always the biggest factor but this is a playoff team next year as it stands. We need to add one or two playmakers and they don't have to be big pieces. Just incremental changes and having this group grow together can make all the difference. I'm expecting Dotson to become a rotation player next season and frank to grow into a starter. We can add a wing in the draft and see where that puts us.

So you want to bring back a Jarett Jack player at PG hope Daymean Dotson gets 1000% better and draft a guy who wont see the light of day around 12-15?

You think that is better than signing I Thomas? Its not even close????????????????????????? Pick 12-15 isnt very good this year!

Two guys I really want--Isiah Thomas from free agency and Spencer Dinwiddie with a trade with the nets. Because of cap considerations I cannot add more than that without being unrealistic. I would definitely use my draft pick to unload cap with the Nets if they give us Dinwiddie.

RIP Crushalot😞
Knixkik
USA
1/11/2018  7:35 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Health is always the biggest factor but this is a playoff team next year as it stands. We need to add one or two playmakers and they don't have to be big pieces. Just incremental changes and having this group grow together can make all the difference. I'm expecting Dotson to become a rotation player next season and frank to grow into a starter. We can add a wing in the draft and see where that puts us.

So you want to bring back a Jarett Jack player at PG hope Daymean Dotson gets 1000% better and draft a guy who wont see the light of day around 12-15?

You think that is better than signing I Thomas? Its not even close????????????????????????? Pick 12-15 isnt very good this year!

Two guys I really want--Isiah Thomas from free agency and Spencer Dinwiddie with a trade with the nets. Because of cap considerations I cannot add more than that without being unrealistic. I would definitely use my draft pick to unload cap with the Nets if they give us Dinwiddie.

"Better" is a relative term. What i mean is we are in year 1 of a rebuild where our best player is 22 years old. We have overachieved a fair amount and are a 35-38 win team most likely. Adding a guy like Dinwiddie is a good incremental improvement i'm talking about. Finding low-cost guys via trade or free agency that move the needle. I am a fan of signing Will Barton for the MLE this summer. But we are too soon to go all-in on a guy like IT, who will lock us into whatever that makes us for the foreseeable future. We can add a player like Barton, use our draft picks wisely, and see where that gets us before making a move that big move.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
1/11/2018  9:10 AM
IT locks up money for years. He is older and has a bad hip. That is the type of move that most on this board have hated for years. It is not the move this team needs.

Instead they need players that are going to learn and grow together without costing a fortune.

The problem with this team now is that they play differently in the 4th quarter. The ball stops moving. Kanter should play. He creates more positive than negative, IMO.

Right now, without THjr you cannot make rash decisions on this team. He is a key player that has been out over a month and a tough month to boot.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/11/2018  9:46 AM
As much as Im a fan of Thomas (hard not to be) signing him to a max deal would be like Amar'e all over again.
BRIGGS
1/11/2018  9:48 AM
GustavBahler wrote:As much as Im a fan of Thomas (hard not to be) signing him to a max deal would be like Amar'e all over again.

I dont care what the money is--as long as its 5mm more than the other guy. IF he shows healthy all year and passes MD tests that hes good to go--pay him. Or we can keep going 30-52

RIP Crushalot😞
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/11/2018  10:02 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:As much as Im a fan of Thomas (hard not to be) signing him to a max deal would be like Amar'e all over again.

I dont care what the money is--as long as its 5mm more than the other guy. IF he shows healthy all year and passes MD tests that hes good to go--pay him. Or we can keep going 30-52

Or we can find another PG. You make it sound like no one else can do the job. Thomas will care what the money is.

Welpee
Member: #6239

1/11/2018  10:03 AM
Signing IT would show that our organization hasn't changed at all. It would be a typical Knicks-type move. I would totally envision Knicks fans complaining about how he can't penetrate or get big buckets or deliver passes in the clutch because of his lack of size. I guarantee you Ainge was thrilled to get rid of IT and not have to make that decision on whether or not to sign him to big money.
Knixkik
USA
1/11/2018  10:23 AM
Welpee wrote:Signing IT would show that our organization hasn't changed at all. It would be a typical Knicks-type move. I would totally envision Knicks fans complaining about how he can't penetrate or get big buckets or deliver passes in the clutch because of his lack of size. I guarantee you Ainge was thrilled to get rid of IT and not have to make that decision on whether or not to sign him to big money.

Yeah exactly. IT is someone who fans here would turn on pretty quickly when they realize he can be a black hole and doesn't play defense/isn't capable on defense. We are building an identity here and while Porzingis is struggling to score efficiently, getting Hardaway back and adding 1 more scoring wing this summer in a 6th man role would completely change that. He just needs help from playmaking positions so he's not put in iso situations constantly. It's pointless anyway, because we know Perry isn't going anywhere near IT. His window of this quality play is too small. I hear Briggs talking about guys like Porzingis struggling to sustain long NBA careers, but i am positive a lot more 7-foot+ guys stay relevant in their 30s than guys below 6-feet. That's a fact. We are going to build this thing steady and not make any rash decisions. We need playmakers, no doubt, but we can get them for less than 100M and younger than IT.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

1/11/2018  10:27 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Welpee wrote:Signing IT would show that our organization hasn't changed at all. It would be a typical Knicks-type move. I would totally envision Knicks fans complaining about how he can't penetrate or get big buckets or deliver passes in the clutch because of his lack of size. I guarantee you Ainge was thrilled to get rid of IT and not have to make that decision on whether or not to sign him to big money.

Yeah exactly. IT is someone who fans here would turn on pretty quickly when they realize he can be a black hole and doesn't play defense/isn't capable on defense. We are building an identity here and while Porzingis is struggling to score efficiently, getting Hardaway back and adding 1 more scoring wing this summer in a 6th man role would completely change that. He just needs help from playmaking positions so he's not put in iso situations constantly. It's pointless anyway, because we know Perry isn't going anywhere near IT. His window of this quality play is too small. I hear Briggs talking about guys like Porzingis struggling to sustain long NBA careers, but i am positive a lot more 7-foot+ guys stay relevant in their 30s than guys below 6-feet. That's a fact. We are going to build this thing steady and not make any rash decisions. We need playmakers, no doubt, but we can get them for less than 100M and younger than IT.

Only way to beat Boston.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/11/2018  10:30 AM

I agree but what is wrong with the nixluva approach?

This team is learning and growing. These are called growing pains. A little tweak here and there and we are going to be contenders for many years.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/11/2018  10:35 AM
NYKBocker wrote:

I agree but what is wrong with the nixluva approach?

This team is learning and growing. These are called growing pains. A little tweak here and there and we are going to be contenders for many years.

My call out about nix is he has always been positive, despite reality.

I have a gut feeling, an intuition that I haven't had before. I think this group can get back to the playoffs. Maybe not this year, but next for sure.

BRIGGS
1/11/2018  11:03 AM
Starpuch

trading young players and lottery picks for player

examples Eddy Curry Cramelo Mcdyess Marbury

signing a free agent who is a star? No starpuch

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/11/2018  12:01 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Starpuch

So it's impossible for an FA signing to be a starphuck?
BRIGGS
1/11/2018  12:12 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:

Nope. Who wouldn't want IT on this team anyway for nothing but cash?

RIP Crushalot😞
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

1/11/2018  1:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/11/2018  1:35 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

I'm wondering where the money to sign a player like IT will be coming from?? Is this just another imaginary offseason of signings again? Even if Kanter doesn't opt in we still won't have the money to sign IT as long as J.Noah's contract is on the books which will be for 2 more years after this year. Unless you're gonna come up with a bunch of hypotheticals of things we can do to clear the money but they'll only be hypotheticals and will never happen. Are you gonna say we should stretch Noah? Which would hurt us more then help us. Are you gonna trade Timmy and hope Kanter doesn't opt in? Isn't gonna happen. Are we gonna trade C.Lee and Kanter and only bring back expiring contracts and draft picks? Could happen i guess but would be very hard to do.

I just see us signing IT as more of a dream then reality.

And the Nets aren't gonna trade Dinwiddie either cause all i hear is that they love him.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/11/2018  1:35 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Would you say the same for Amare?

What's impressed you so much in his 3 games back anyway? The 44% shooting? The 6+ turnovers per 36 min?

BRIGGS
1/11/2018  1:46 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Would you say the same for Amare?

What's impressed you so much in his 3 games back anyway? The 44% shooting? The 6+ turnovers per 36 min?

Let me see--arent you the same guy who said a ten game sample is not much? How about the 29 points and 6 assits + the ECF he did last year? Do you even know who I Thomas is? Because that is a silly statement?

Hes not going to avg the same on Clev that he did on Boston--what we are looking for is health--we know the guy can play.

RIP Crushalot😞
Briggs, you are so wrong about this team

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy