The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/28/2018  10:07 PM
reub wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:After previously being all about Miles for our position I would like to change to Mikal. I think he would be a perfect addition to our team.

I like the idea of Mikal joining KP and Frank. That would be the start of an awesome defense.

It would end up being the foundation of a great defensive team.

AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/2/2018  11:45 AM
How does Mitchell Robinson project for the 2018 NBA draft?
Read
Markdown
HTML
by Jonathan Givony on 2018-03-16 01:01:00 UTC (original: http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/22619083/how-does-mitchell-robinson-project-2018-nba-draft)

The NCAA tournament tips off this month, but Mitchell Robinson will be sitting it out. Instead, he'll be biding his time in suburban Dallas, walking back and forth from a rented condo to a nearby fitness club, counting off the days until Adam Silver calls his name June 22 on NBA draft night.

A series of bad decisions led Robinson here, without a team and unable to be scouted until the NBA releases its early entry list for the draft at the end of April. He isn't allowed to be evaluated in non-sanctioned practice or game settings until then. That doesn't mean NBA teams have forgotten about him, but he's very much off the radar and an afterthought at this point, which perhaps might not be the worst thing for him.

After the drama of twice joining and abandoning Western Kentucky, the college he committed to but ultimately never played a game for, NBA scouts openly question the poor advice Robinson received at the time and wonder about the difficulties he encountered while navigating the college recruiting world. Will these same influences continue to cause issues for him at the NBA level as well?

That's how we got here, watching Robinson work out with his high school teammate in late February, being trained by former NBA player and assistant coach Morlon Wiley. A spin class is being conducted next door, and overhead retirees walk briskly on a track. It's not the type of evaluation setting scouts prefer before making a multimillion dollar decision in June, but it's not all that unfavorable for Robinson, who could certainly benefit from his "mystery man" status. He turned down EuroLeague offers from the likes of Zalgiris in Lithuania and Olympiacos in Greece for that precise reason -- not wanting to lock himself into a season extending well into June and the prospect of a multiyear deal featuring an NBA buyout.

Officially measured by USA Basketball last summer at 7-feet barefoot with a 7-foot-4 wingspan and 9-foot-3 standing reach -- plus possessing freakish athletic ability for someone his size -- Robinson is one of just a handful of human beings on the planet who share such coveted physical traits. While he hasn't put on any weight since last summer (he told us he weighs 229 pounds now, down from the 233 he weighed then), his frame is well-proportioned and should be able to handle as much bulk as needed. He has real basketball talent, as well, with a soft touch around the rim and from the perimeter, along with a skill set that is raw but promising and could be harnessed into a real weapon in time.

We watched him knock down quite a few jump shots over the course of a 90-minute workout this week, both with his feet set and off the dribble -- sometimes from well beyond the 3-point line, which is not something he has ever been able to demonstrate in 5-on-5 games. In many ways, Robinson is a blank canvas waiting for professional strength and conditioning and skill-development coaches -- and simply forced to bide his time until then.

With his potential as a rim-running, pick-and-roll-setting and lob-catching rim protector/offensive rebounder, Robinson is exactly what NBA teams are actively scouring the globe for at the center position, both physically and from a skill set perspective. He covers ground exceptionally, plays quick off his feet and has excellent hands. And he has proved to be one of the most devastating shot-blockers and offensive rebounders in our databases' history while competing on the AAU level in the Nike EYBL, which has a rich background of producing top-shelf NBA draft picks.

Best PER in Nike EYBL history
Player Team/Year PER
Mitchell Robinson 2016 Pro Skills 40.5
Michael Porter 2016 MoKan Elite 37.9
Deandre Ayton 2016 California Supreme 32.7
Trae Young 2016 MoKan Elite 32.7
Georges Niang 2011 BABC 32.4
Jayson Tatum 2015 Saint Louis Eagles 32.3
Brice Johnson 2011 CP3 All-Stars 32.3
Andrew Wiggins 2012 CIA Bounce 32.1
Collin Sexton 2016 Southern Stampede 31.6
Wendell Carter 2016 CP3 All-Stars 31.2
NBA teams will have to weigh the uncertainty of not having watched him play competitive basketball in any real setting (they aren't allowed to scout high school or AAU games) with the potential he is certain to demonstrate over the course of the pre-draft process. That's all while coming to terms with the diminishing market for big men and trying to gain a better understanding of Robinson's likelihood to reach his full potential. Grainy footage from online high school video platform Krossover is the best they can hope for, with Robinson's strong performances against Deandre Ayton (23 points, nine rebounds, four blocks) and Marvin Bagley (19 points, 13 rebounds, four blocks in 24 minutes) certain to be heavily scrutinized in particular.

There's very little hard data here for NBA front offices, no formula or historical precedent to help guide their decision making process and quite a bit of uncertainty still about how Robinson will perform in private workouts, interviews and other fact-finding settings leading up to June. Despite Robinson's lottery-level talent, teams drafting in the first round will still consider the red flags from his wavering at Western Kentucky and more background intel that could have led to his college departure. A lot will come down to their appetite for risk, which admittedly diminishes the further outside of the lottery you get, especially in a draft that is being harshly criticized for the lack of depth it boasts outside the top-10 talent. How much of a project is Robinson, and just how far off is he from being able to help a team? Will he be a willing partner in this endeavor, someone a team can trust to be a reliable understudy?

The people around Robinson say he has simply made mistakes that are as much a product of his environment growing up and the chaotic world of grass-roots basketball as his own character. There is talk of him working out against Jermaine O'Neal in the upcoming months leading up to the draft, as much for the off-court mentorship O'Neal might provide as the on-court benefits of learning from a similarly sized big man who made six All-Star games and spent 18 years in the NBA.

Robinson's workout reminded us somewhat of a similar one we attended in 2015 with Willie Cauley-Stein, featuring a huge number of eye-popping dunks, off-the-dribble 3-pointers and impressive feats of athleticism and talent. Robinson has been pacing himself to a degree, not wanting to peak until the pre-draft process fully kicks off in May, all while hoping to make as big of a splash as possible.

Scraped at insider2text.xyz, brought to you by HeheStreams — No ads, No Bull**** Live & On-Demand NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL Streaming

When asked what he can do to address the concerns NBA teams might have and make them comfortable regarding his capacity for reaching his full potential, Robinson said, "I'm just gonna have to kill the workouts." This was a good dry run for us to take in before the lights really come on in a few months, and he will likely be better prepared by then.

Scraped at insider2text.xyz, brought to you by HeheStreams — No ads, No Bull**** Live & On-Demand NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL Streaming

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/22619083/how-does-mitchell-robinson-project-2018-nba-draft
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/2/2018  12:48 PM
reub wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:After previously being all about Miles for our position I would like to change to Mikal. I think he would be a perfect addition to our team.

I like the idea of Mikal joining KP and Frank. That would be the start of an awesome defense.

Id say over the last two weeks he pumped his stock up from top 15 to top 10. Hes got some minuses but he knows his role and plays both sides of the court and you add in strong athletic body with long arms. Hes a guy who should be able to play right away.
RIP Crushalot😞
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/2/2018  1:35 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
reub wrote:

Id say over the last two weeks he pumped his stock up from top 15 to top 10. Hes got some minuses but he knows his role and plays both sides of the court and you add in strong athletic body with long arms. Hes a guy who should be able to play right away.

Yes he is a plug and play guy with a very high floor. Virtually no bust potential. He can come right in and shoot and defend at a high level. He comes across as a late bloomer that has another level to bring his game. His weakness is offensive creativity, which he has made some progress this year. We would be lucky to get him at 8 or 9.

reub
Member: #6227

3/2/2018  9:23 PM
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
reub wrote:

Yes he is a plug and play guy with a very high floor. Virtually no bust potential. He can come right in and shoot and defend at a high level. He comes across as a late bloomer that has another level to bring his game. His weakness is offensive creativity, which he has made some progress this year. We would be lucky to get him at 8 or 9.

Right now tankathon has us getting him. Please don't pinch me.
BRIGGS
3/3/2018  4:08 AM
I’m wondering if our best bet is drafting one of the lottery big men?
RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/3/2018  4:08 AM
Magic win, and more importantly Bulls win
Juliano
Member: #7589

3/4/2018  11:45 AM
I just had a look at tankathon, I hadn't realized the Suns were so close to having 3 lotto picks! Make or break for them.
reub

3/4/2018  12:53 PM
Juliano wrote:I just had a look at tankathon, I hadn't realized the Suns were so close to having 3 lotto picks! Make or break for them.

The Phoenix Process.

BRIGGS
3/4/2018  1:08 PM
Another guy coming on
Carsen Edwards Purdue Pg 6-1 210
Last 6 games 27 points 4 rebound 4 assists efg67
RIP Crushalot😞
90sKnicks
Member: #6452

3/4/2018  5:00 PM
smackeddog wrote:Magic win, and more importantly Bulls win

Question...which would you prefer...the Bulls start winning a lot of games and the Knicks move up from #9 in the draft to #8. Or would you prefer that the Bulls go something like 3-17 over their last 20 games and wind up with the worst record in the league, giving us the top pick in the second round.

I'd rather have #9 and #31 instead of #8 and #39.

In short, we really have no chance of catching any of these teams who are tanking hard in the standings. Our only possible chance is to possible have the Bulls pass us, but i'd much rather the Bulls embrace a tank and finish with the worst record in the league since we have their second round draft pick.

reub

3/4/2018  7:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/4/2018  7:48 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Another guy coming on

I thought I'd never say this but please, no more point guards. Maybe Trae Young but no one else with our first pick.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

3/4/2018  9:35 PM
reub wrote:

I thought I'd never say this but please, no more point guards. Maybe Trae Young but no one else with our first pick.

Yeah I'd roll with these 3 guys next year and hope one steps up. We will be in the top 8 or so next year again so if they all suck we can take a PG next year
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
BRIGGS
3/5/2018  12:44 AM
reub wrote:

Haha. Jees you're right. I should disclaim that I always think about our high 2s as they seem quite interesting. Picking 8-9( will the god dam other teams win some?) is a tough call. I think I'm staying with my guy and going Knox at 18 years old. We don't have that 6-9 225 sf that other teams do. I'll admit this is hard even after watching so many cbb games. I'd almost feel better at 17. I think that knox or Carter represent the best combination of production with upside in our location.

RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
3/5/2018  5:26 AM
90sKnicks wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Magic win, and more importantly Bulls win

Question...which would you prefer...the Bulls start winning a lot of games and the Knicks move up from #9 in the draft to #8. Or would you prefer that the Bulls go something like 3-17 over their last 20 games and wind up with the worst record in the league, giving us the top pick in the second round.

I'd rather have #9 and #31 instead of #8 and #39.

In short, we really have no chance of catching any of these teams who are tanking hard in the standings. Our only possible chance is to possible have the Bulls pass us, but i'd much rather the Bulls embrace a tank and finish with the worst record in the league since we have their second round draft pick.

I'd rather have 8 and 39, we've all seen the difference one place in the top 10 can make, plus the key for me is getting into the top 6 as the odds are a lot higher of then leaping into the top 3.

smackeddog
3/5/2018  5:48 AM
Last update I'll be doing for a while as I'll be travelling round Mexico for 2 weeks- hopefully we'll be in sole possession of 6th place by the time I get back!

1) Memphis 18-44

2) Phoenix 19-46
3) Dallas 19-45

4) Brooklyn 20-44
5) Atlanta 20-44
6) Sacramento 20-44
7) Orlando 20-43

8) Chicago 21-41

9) New York 24-40

10) Charlotte 28-36
11) Lakers 28-34
12) Detroit 29-34

lakers have been winning lately so both they and the hornets have built up a small cushion between us

1) Griz: Bulls, Mavs, Nets, Kings (4 games)

2) Suns: Magic, Kings, Mavs (3 games)

3) Dallas: Griz, Knicks, Nets, Kings, Magic, Suns (6 Games)

4) Nets: Mavs, griz, Magic, Bulls, Bulls (5 games)

5) Hawks: Bulls, Kings, Magic (3 games)

6) Kings: Magic, Atlanta, mavs, Suns, Griz (5 games)

7) Magic: Kings, Suns, nets, Bulls, Atlanta, Knicks, Mavs (7 games)

8) Bulls: Griz, Hawks, Griz, Knicks, Magic, Nets, Nets (7 games)

9) Knicks: Mavs, Bulls, Magic (3 games)

I'm still hopeful that the mavs and Bulls will overtake us in wins (both have 7 games vs other bad teams), but I'm very p'd off with the nets- they should have won some games lately, but are looking diabolical. Now looks like they're going to stay ahead of us for the rest of the season. Griz, Suns and Hawks are locked in ahead of us too. There's an outside chance the mavs or Kings fall, but I very much doubt it.

So overall we have a shot at 7th or 8th (the spot we are forever doomed to pick at!), but would have to get really unbelievably lucky to end up 6th or 5th.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

3/5/2018  1:01 PM
smackeddog wrote:Last update I'll be doing for a while as I'll be travelling round Mexico for 2 weeks- hopefully we'll be in sole possession of 6th place by the time I get back!

1) Memphis 18-44

2) Phoenix 19-46
3) Dallas 19-45

4) Brooklyn 20-44
5) Atlanta 20-44
6) Sacramento 20-44
7) Orlando 20-43

8) Chicago 21-41

9) New York 24-40

10) Charlotte 28-36
11) Lakers 28-34
12) Detroit 29-34

lakers have been winning lately so both they and the hornets have built up a small cushion between us

I'm still hopeful that the mavs and Bulls will overtake us in wins (both have 7 games vs other bad teams), but I'm very p'd off with the nets- they should have won some games lately, but are looking diabolical. Now looks like they're going to stay ahead of us for the rest of the season. Griz, Suns and Hawks are locked in ahead of us too. There's an outside chance the mavs or Kings fall, but I very much doubt it.

So overall we have a shot at 7th or 8th (the spot we are forever doomed to pick at!), but would have to get really unbelievably lucky to end up 6th or 5th.

We should intentionally lose every game from here on out ...if we can get a top 5 pick in this draft, we have a really good chance that player with KP become superstars... and we get another lottery pick next year too because KP should take all of next year like David Robinson did to get fully healthy.

I want doncic bad but he’s looking like the number one pick... Michael Porter jr or bridges might be more realistic.

KP needs to come back as our starting center the fact that we have a 7’3 player playing pf is stupid in today’s small ball KP is A CENTER he probably wouldn’t of even gotten injured if he was just guarding slow fives. KP should come back weighing 260+ and work on rebounding and post play there is no reason at 7’3 kp can’t lead the league in rebounding and blocks as well as fg%.

C. KP, KOQ yes sign him he’s a perfect back up
PF. 2019 lottery pick. Free agent
SF. 2018 lottery pick, draft pick for Lee
Sg. Thjr,Dotson
PG. frank, Burke

I still see frank as a pg and as a future superstar defensive player.hes our k Lenard in Guard form .

We need to look at the big picture and continue the process of building a contender

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/5/2018  1:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/5/2018  7:48 PM
smackeddog wrote:Last update I'll be doing for a while as I'll be travelling round Mexico for 2 weeks- hopefully we'll be in sole possession of 6th place by the time I get back!

1) Memphis 18-44

2) Phoenix 19-46
3) Dallas 19-45

4) Brooklyn 20-44
5) Atlanta 20-44
6) Sacramento 20-44
7) Orlando 20-43

8) Chicago 21-41

9) New York 24-40

10) Charlotte 28-36
11) Lakers 28-34
12) Detroit 29-34

Cant put too much stock in the Knicks final record determining the draft order. Last two years, our first round pick ended up being below where we were expected to pick, given our record, in relation to other lotto teams.

We could end up picking a few spots below worse teams again, or we could go all Patrick Ewing, and hit the lotto. Its a crapshoot.

A few more wins or losses are no match for those unholy ping-pong balls, lol.

smackeddog
3/6/2018  3:30 AM
I do live in fear that we'll trade Noah, Frank and this years draft pick for John Wall (his salary is horrific in the last 3 years, with $43mil in the last year alone)
blkexec
Member: #748
3/6/2018  8:55 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Read
Markdown
HTML
by Jonathan Givony on 2018-03-16 01:01:00 UTC (original: http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/22619083/how-does-mitchell-robinson-project-2018-nba-draft)

The NCAA tournament tips off this month, but Mitchell Robinson will be sitting it out. Instead, he'll be biding his time in suburban Dallas, walking back and forth from a rented condo to a nearby fitness club, counting off the days until Adam Silver calls his name June 22 on NBA draft night.

A series of bad decisions led Robinson here, without a team and unable to be scouted until the NBA releases its early entry list for the draft at the end of April. He isn't allowed to be evaluated in non-sanctioned practice or game settings until then. That doesn't mean NBA teams have forgotten about him, but he's very much off the radar and an afterthought at this point, which perhaps might not be the worst thing for him.

After the drama of twice joining and abandoning Western Kentucky, the college he committed to but ultimately never played a game for, NBA scouts openly question the poor advice Robinson received at the time and wonder about the difficulties he encountered while navigating the college recruiting world. Will these same influences continue to cause issues for him at the NBA level as well?

That's how we got here, watching Robinson work out with his high school teammate in late February, being trained by former NBA player and assistant coach Morlon Wiley. A spin class is being conducted next door, and overhead retirees walk briskly on a track. It's not the type of evaluation setting scouts prefer before making a multimillion dollar decision in June, but it's not all that unfavorable for Robinson, who could certainly benefit from his "mystery man" status. He turned down EuroLeague offers from the likes of Zalgiris in Lithuania and Olympiacos in Greece for that precise reason -- not wanting to lock himself into a season extending well into June and the prospect of a multiyear deal featuring an NBA buyout.

Officially measured by USA Basketball last summer at 7-feet barefoot with a 7-foot-4 wingspan and 9-foot-3 standing reach -- plus possessing freakish athletic ability for someone his size -- Robinson is one of just a handful of human beings on the planet who share such coveted physical traits. While he hasn't put on any weight since last summer (he told us he weighs 229 pounds now, down from the 233 he weighed then), his frame is well-proportioned and should be able to handle as much bulk as needed. He has real basketball talent, as well, with a soft touch around the rim and from the perimeter, along with a skill set that is raw but promising and could be harnessed into a real weapon in time.

We watched him knock down quite a few jump shots over the course of a 90-minute workout this week, both with his feet set and off the dribble -- sometimes from well beyond the 3-point line, which is not something he has ever been able to demonstrate in 5-on-5 games. In many ways, Robinson is a blank canvas waiting for professional strength and conditioning and skill-development coaches -- and simply forced to bide his time until then.

With his potential as a rim-running, pick-and-roll-setting and lob-catching rim protector/offensive rebounder, Robinson is exactly what NBA teams are actively scouring the globe for at the center position, both physically and from a skill set perspective. He covers ground exceptionally, plays quick off his feet and has excellent hands. And he has proved to be one of the most devastating shot-blockers and offensive rebounders in our databases' history while competing on the AAU level in the Nike EYBL, which has a rich background of producing top-shelf NBA draft picks.

Best PER in Nike EYBL history
Player Team/Year PER
Mitchell Robinson 2016 Pro Skills 40.5
Michael Porter 2016 MoKan Elite 37.9
Deandre Ayton 2016 California Supreme 32.7
Trae Young 2016 MoKan Elite 32.7
Georges Niang 2011 BABC 32.4
Jayson Tatum 2015 Saint Louis Eagles 32.3
Brice Johnson 2011 CP3 All-Stars 32.3
Andrew Wiggins 2012 CIA Bounce 32.1
Collin Sexton 2016 Southern Stampede 31.6
Wendell Carter 2016 CP3 All-Stars 31.2
NBA teams will have to weigh the uncertainty of not having watched him play competitive basketball in any real setting (they aren't allowed to scout high school or AAU games) with the potential he is certain to demonstrate over the course of the pre-draft process. That's all while coming to terms with the diminishing market for big men and trying to gain a better understanding of Robinson's likelihood to reach his full potential. Grainy footage from online high school video platform Krossover is the best they can hope for, with Robinson's strong performances against Deandre Ayton (23 points, nine rebounds, four blocks) and Marvin Bagley (19 points, 13 rebounds, four blocks in 24 minutes) certain to be heavily scrutinized in particular.

There's very little hard data here for NBA front offices, no formula or historical precedent to help guide their decision making process and quite a bit of uncertainty still about how Robinson will perform in private workouts, interviews and other fact-finding settings leading up to June. Despite Robinson's lottery-level talent, teams drafting in the first round will still consider the red flags from his wavering at Western Kentucky and more background intel that could have led to his college departure. A lot will come down to their appetite for risk, which admittedly diminishes the further outside of the lottery you get, especially in a draft that is being harshly criticized for the lack of depth it boasts outside the top-10 talent. How much of a project is Robinson, and just how far off is he from being able to help a team? Will he be a willing partner in this endeavor, someone a team can trust to be a reliable understudy?

The people around Robinson say he has simply made mistakes that are as much a product of his environment growing up and the chaotic world of grass-roots basketball as his own character. There is talk of him working out against Jermaine O'Neal in the upcoming months leading up to the draft, as much for the off-court mentorship O'Neal might provide as the on-court benefits of learning from a similarly sized big man who made six All-Star games and spent 18 years in the NBA.

Robinson's workout reminded us somewhat of a similar one we attended in 2015 with Willie Cauley-Stein, featuring a huge number of eye-popping dunks, off-the-dribble 3-pointers and impressive feats of athleticism and talent. Robinson has been pacing himself to a degree, not wanting to peak until the pre-draft process fully kicks off in May, all while hoping to make as big of a splash as possible.

When asked what he can do to address the concerns NBA teams might have and make them comfortable regarding his capacity for reaching his full potential, Robinson said, "I'm just gonna have to kill the workouts." This was a good dry run for us to take in before the lights really come on in a few months, and he will likely be better prepared by then.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/22619083/how-does-mitchell-robinson-project-2018-nba-draft

I played ball with him b4.....here in Dallas. He's a 7fter that does it all.....Has all the skills needed in today big man game. I didn't play with him long.....but watching him play......everything looks too easy for him. my only question is his motor or maturity on the game.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy