Member: #1694

6/11/2018  11:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/11/2018  11:10 AM
The draft board should be:
1. Wendell Carter Jr
2. Kevin Knox
3. Miles Bridges
4. Mikal Bridges
5. Trae Young

If we buy a late teens or early 20s pick...then Huerter for that.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

6/11/2018  5:21 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Pick #36?

Turned 22 in April

Interesting story from during the college season.

His 3pt shooting really dropped from 2016/7 to 2017/2018...from 38% to 28%, though his FT shooting went up about 80%.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/01/30/alize-johnson-missouri-state-basketball-rebounding-nba-draft

By JEREMY FUCHS January 30, 2018
It’s 2011 and Alize Johnson is a 5’9” guard. He’s at St. John Neumann High in Williamsport, Pa., and he’s trying to improve his game. “I remember working on my handle and trying to become a really great passer, because I knew how small I was,” he says.

He loves basketball, and realizes his height might limit him. So what do you? If you’re anything like Alize Johnson, you get lucky. Johnson grew nearly a foot by the time he was a senior in high school. “My mom says one time she came into the house, she saw me lying on the couch and she thought it was a burglar because she didn’t know who I was,” he says. “I kind of don’t believe it.”

Now 6’9”, Johnson is a power forward at Missouri State averaging 11.6 rebounds per game, fifth-best in the nation. Averaging a double-double, the senior is gaining buzz as a potential first round pick, and leading a Missouri State team that has a solid shot at winning its conference tournament. Not bad for a self-proclaimed underdog.

Once he grew into his frame in high school, Johnson excelled. He was Mr. Basketball in Pennsylvania, but he didn’t qualify academically out of college. So he found his way to Frank Phillips junior college in Borger, Texas, a tiny town sandwiched between the New Mexico and Oklahoma borders. “There was nothing going on,” Johnson says with a laugh. “Closest thing to do fun was to go to the mall or a club, and that was an hour away. You don’t want to do those things after working out, going to school all day.”

The isolation benefited his game. He averaged 12.7 points as a freshman, and earned All-America honors as a sophomore after scoring 16.7 points and 12.0 rebounds. His coach, Chris Hackett, was eager to place him in a D-I school. Hackett crossed paths with Missouri State head coach Paul Lusk at Missouri Southern. The connection made things easier.

“We really liked how he rebounded,” Lusk said of Johnson’s workout. “And that workout, a lot of times, guys try doing a lot of things that they really can’t do. He just played the game the right way.”

In his first year at Missouri State, Johnson immediately excelled. He averaged 14.8 points and his 10.6 rebounds per game ranked 10th in the nation. He was 15th in double-doubles (17) and was named first-team All-Conference. His rebounding ability most impressed Lusk.

“It’s just something you can’t teach,” he says. “[Johnson] pursues the ball and [has a] strong determination to get it. He’s a good athlete, but he’s not a guy who’s getting both elbows above the rim, nor is he a guy who has an unbelievably long wingspan. Guys that maybe get two elbows above the rim, [Johnson] will get it over them every day of the week. It’s a special ability he has.”

Rebounding may be a natural skill, according to Lusk, but Johnson has worked hard at it. As he grew taller in high school, he had to change his game from guard to forward. He had the ball skills—he needed to learn to rebound. He would practice angles that the ball would come off the rim from, learning to attack the ball before it came down.

Last season’s performance prompted Johnson to declare for the draft, but he didn’t hire an agent and “had no intentions of staying into it.” Still, word had gotten out about Johnson, and he wanted to take advantage. “It was an opportunity of a lifetime,” he says. He worked out with the Celtics before withdrawing his name.

That experience led to him being named to the Adidas Nations event, where he earned MVP honors ahead of big names like Bruce Brown, Michael Porter Jr., Mikal Bridges and Yante Maten.

That confidence has spilled over to this season, where Johnson has established himself as the MVC’s best player. To start the season, he put up 23 points and 20 rebounds against North Dakota State in just 26 minutes, 24 and 11 in a win over conference-leading Loyola-Chicago in December and 24 and 20 against Valparaiso earlier this month.

“I’m just trying to make these things happen,” he says. “My teammates are doing a great job helping me do these things, they all listen to what I got to say, and I listen to what they got to say.”

Missouri State is 15-8, and while three straight losses have moved it to fifth in the MVC, the team is only a few games behind Loyola-Chicago. Lusk would like his perimeter to play to improve and for someone to develop as a secondary option. But with the best player in the conference, they’re certainly not out of it.

Meanwhile, Johnson is beginning to get first-round buzz. He has size, physicality, rebounding skills and can shoot (43.9% from the field). Johnson has heard the talk.

“When I hear it now, it’s cool, [but] I know nobody knows what pick I’m going to be," he says. "I need to keep working and everything else will take care of itself.”

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

6/11/2018  6:06 PM
Fizzdale likes position less bball , so how about Issac bonga in the second round, a 6 '9" pg from Germany. Another ball handler that with training can develop into something good off the bench
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/11/2018  6:27 PM
dacash wrote:Fizzdale likes position less bball , so how about Issac bonga in the second round, a 6 '9" pg from Germany. Another ball handler that with training can develop into something good off the bench

He doesn't fit position less bball at this stage other then being an oversized PG. He has trouble guarding picks, he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Prefer Vanderbilt as a prospect.

I hope for Bates-Diop or Alize Johnson at #36 followed by Vanderbilt if they are gone. Okobo would be a nice surprise if he is there as would Duval.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
6/11/2018  6:28 PM
I'm also leaning toward Miles Bridges with #9.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/11/2018  6:35 PM
dacash wrote:Fizzdale likes position less bball , so how about Issac bonga in the second round, a 6 '9" pg from Germany. Another ball handler that with training can develop into something good off the bench

6'9"? Sounds like the next magic Johnson. If we pick up Kevin Heurter we can trade Frank and a top 50 protected second rounder for another pick this year and nab Bonga at pick 47.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
reub
Member: #6227

6/11/2018  6:50 PM
I still think that Porter could drop to us. We could end up with possibly the most talented player in the draft.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/11/2018  8:17 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:I'm also leaning toward Miles Bridges with #9.
I am as well.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorknewyork
6/11/2018  8:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/11/2018  8:59 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
I am as well.

Proven 3 pt shooter given the volume he took, high IQ, high motor, explosive. He has a nice combination of tools. Will space the floor and get pts off of his motor and build.

LivingLegend
Member: #1645

6/11/2018  10:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/11/2018  10:20 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Who/what would they trade to move up?

They have the goods

To get 1

I read their #16, Marquis Chriss, and #31

Marquis Chris has looked pretty bad and seemed to get worse in his second year. I just don't see any top 6 or 7 team being willing to trade their pick for that package

I'll do pick 9 for Jackson and 31 if trae young is gone

Phoenix wouldn’t even do Jackson for #9 straight up.

How about a 3-way with NY, PHX and DEN.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/11/2018  11:00 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
I am as well.

Proven 3 pt shooter given the volume he took, high IQ, high motor, explosive. He has a nice combination of tools. Will space the floor and get pts off of his motor and build.

I'm a fan. At worse, he's a Gerald Wallace type. I think his energy and physicality would mesh well with KP. I want Carter first, but I can live with either Bridges.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
6/12/2018  4:56 AM

I do like Bonga a lot... he is very long and young and at this age already has played against grown man for 2 yrs now as a point guard.
His Team here in Germany does have a very good rep in bringing up young talent and they did a good job with Bonga I think!
He has also made the jump into the National Team this year and is playing behind Dennis Schröder there. Also a great set up for a young guy to learn and grow!

Please do not mistake him for a SF just due to his size... his game is that of a lead guard. He has a good handle and speed despite his size AND knows how to initiate plays as this is the BASIC for a PG in Europe!
His defence is very solid and I do not know why nyny thinks he cant guard the PnR?!? He tries to fight over screens quite well I think!

Since he will be there mid- to late 2nd round I think he is worth a pick if we buy another one... for 36 I would prefer a big or SF due to our roster setup at PG!

BigRedDog
Member: #569
6/12/2018  8:10 AM
Cartman718 wrote:The draft board should be:
1. Wendell Carter Jr
2. Kevin Knox
3. Miles Bridges
4. Mikal Bridges
5. Trae Young

What has Knox shown you? He can dunk. Outside shot so so, motor low, handle suspect. No way do I take this guy.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
6/12/2018  10:19 AM
we need to avoid knox like the plague.

can't dribble.

questionable motor.

Cartman718

6/12/2018  11:50 AM
BigRedDog wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:The draft board should be:
1. Wendell Carter Jr
2. Kevin Knox
3. Miles Bridges
4. Mikal Bridges
5. Trae Young

What has Knox shown you? He can dunk. Outside shot so so, motor low, handle suspect. No way do I take this guy.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/11/nba-draft-kevin-knox-miles-mikal-bridges-best-wing-2018-class

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718

6/12/2018  11:50 AM
anrst wrote:we need to avoid knox like the plague.

can't dribble.

questionable motor.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/11/nba-draft-kevin-knox-miles-mikal-bridges-best-wing-2018-class

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/12/2018  11:53 AM
To me the guy is still Mikal Bridges. I see Mikal, Frank and KP as the core of an elite defensive team. You start with one of the leagues best rim protectors in KP and you surround him with a couple wings who can defend 3-4 positions at a high level. Thats Frank and Mikal. The goal should be to build the best defensive team in the league. Scorers are easy to come by. Guys who can lock down multiple positions are not.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Cartman718

6/12/2018  11:59 AM
fishmike wrote:To me the guy is still Mikal Bridges. I see Mikal, Frank and KP as the core of an elite defensive team. You start with one of the leagues best rim protectors in KP and you surround him with a couple wings who can defend 3-4 positions at a high level. Thats Frank and Mikal. The goal should be to build the best defensive team in the league. Scorers are easy to come by. Guys who can lock down multiple positions are not.

This is why I am high on Knox as well.
To me he is a 2 way versatile player

Chandler
Member: #6197

6/12/2018  1:02 PM
fishmike wrote:To me the guy is still Mikal Bridges. I see Mikal, Frank and KP as the core of an elite defensive team. You start with one of the leagues best rim protectors in KP and you surround him with a couple wings who can defend 3-4 positions at a high level. Thats Frank and Mikal. The goal should be to build the best defensive team in the league. Scorers are easy to come by. Guys who can lock down multiple positions are not.

I don't watch enough college basketball to know whether the media descriptions are legit are slanted, but the descriptions of Mikal are intriguing and I wouldn't hate the pick

My biggest issue is the concern that he's a catch and shoot guy, can't create his own shot -- to me that's more important than simply whether he can creat his own shot but gets to his feel for the game overall (including on D). I want more out of a SF than 3-D at the 9 spot, unless he's phenomenal on D or shooting. Seems like we're selling the slot short.

(5)(5)
Cartman718

6/12/2018  1:48 PM
Chandler wrote:

I don't watch enough college basketball to know whether the media descriptions are legit are slanted, but the descriptions of Mikal are intriguing and I wouldn't hate the pick

My biggest issue is the concern that he's a catch and shoot guy, can't create his own shot -- to me that's more important than simply whether he can creat his own shot but gets to his feel for the game overall (including on D). I want more out of a SF than 3-D at the 9 spot, unless he's phenomenal on D or shooting. Seems like we're selling the slot short.

and this is the problem...i can almost see cavs or bulls making this pick. cavs need 3 and D and they need solid guys around lebron not someone trying to take over game.

The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy